PRYR RQST Have to make a decision BY TOMORROW on job relocation (prayer request)(update Post #91)

Voortrekker

Veteran Member
Test drive it on a temp basis.

Do a travel trailer in a campground temporarily.

It can be resold and the loss will be less than the cost of moving and then having the job bust.
And temporarily rent out your current house with everything in storage. Which Stateline? RV travel trailer equals truck stops, rest areas and Buccee's.
 

Heliobas Disciple

Has No Life - Lives on TB
I agree with everyone who suggests that he take the job but you put off the move for now. Let him find a place to stay in the town with the new job while you take your time deciding a) if the job is really for him and b) if it's a place you all want to move your family. Who knows, in a few months a job may open right where you are and he'll be able to come home and you won't have to move at all. It's very stressful starting a new job, you don't want to add the stress of a move on top of it. You may not be feeling guidance to move because moving isn't what you are being guided to do;). But getting out of a bad job situation into a new one that sounds better (at least on paper) seems like a prayer answered. PS. Another advantage of putting off the move is he can learn more about the area; you may find a nice place to live that's a commute but not as long as 3 hours. He'll only know that after working and learning the area first hand. Good luck whatever you decide and I will add my prayers for you and your DH to make the right decision.

HD
 

foreverkeeps

Veteran Member
Take the job. MAYBE sell your house now while you can get high $$. I believe you have 2 years to roll into another primary residence to escape capital gains. Find temporary housing for now, if you cannot find what you want on a more permanent basis.
Don't see God short, though.

He opens doors and performs miracles!
 

Kris Gandillon

The Other Curmudgeon
_______________
Take the job. MAYBE sell your house now while you can get high $$. I believe you have 2 years to roll into another primary residence to escape capital gains. Find temporary housing for now, if you cannot find what you want on a more permanent basis.
Don't see God short, though.

He opens doors and performs miracles!
A married couple is exempt from capital gains on the first $500,000 of profits on the sale. First $250,000 if you are single. I could be wrong, but my bet is that 95% of us here on TB2K will not have to pay capital gains on the sale of our home...a few will, but most won't.

The 2 years to roll into a more expensive home rule was done away with in 1997 when the current rules went into play.
 

Krayola

Veteran Member
Update:

First of all, I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers.

My DH (along with my input) ultimately decided that we would stay here and he will continue to look for job opportunities that are local to us. In fact, he just had an interview today for another position at his current employer (but a totally different division and would be reporting to his old boss, who he likes.)

It was so hard because the new job location was a beautiful area with nice people. The people who wanted to hire him were wonderful. In fact, that was one of the things that drew us is that he’d be working for such a great boss. They even told him if he changes his mind in the next few weeks to call them back. Plus it was a nice pay raise. This was a very attractive job offer.

But what really swayed us into staying is that we are about to have our current house paid off in a couple of years and should be debt free. Real estate at the other location is more expensive and we’d have to be in debt another 5 -10 yrs (even with the increase in pay.) We also did not want to leave our friends/family and support network. We are living in “interesting” times and I suspect they are about to become more perilous. It’s good to have family and friends (the kind you can call in the middle of the night and they will rush over to help you.) We would have lost that if we relocated. There are a lot more variables that made it complicated but that is the gist of it.

It was really tearing us up trying to make this decision. We were both frustrated because we had been praying earnestly about it and just did not feel any direction from God whatsoever. I was calling everyone we knew asking for prayer. We had been hashing it out all day Sunday for hours (had to give an answer the next day) and we were getting emotionally exhausted. DH had excel spreadsheet looking at all the financial aspects etc.

And then God answered. We were sitting at our kitchen table and we were looking at the financial numbers (for the 20th time) and suddenly we just had this moment of clarity which helped us come to a decision. We felt a sense of peace about it, even though it was very bittersweet at the same time, because in many ways it really was a good opportunity for my DH and it was hard for him to tell them no.

So thank you again for everyone who prayed for us. I did not expect my thread to get this many responses and I am humbled and full of gratitude that all of you prayed for us and offered advice. I know that we came to the right decision through God's help and you all were part of that. :rs: :rs: :rs: :rs:
 

Loretta Van Riet

Trying to hang out with the cool kids.
Update:

First of all, I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers.

My DH (along with my input) ultimately decided that we would stay here and he will continue to look for job opportunities that are local to us. In fact, he just had an interview today for another position at his current employer (but a totally different division and would be reporting to his old boss, who he likes.)

It was so hard because the new job location was a beautiful area with nice people. The people who wanted to hire him were wonderful. In fact, that was one of the things that drew us is that he’d be working for such a great boss. They even told him if he changes his mind in the next few weeks to call them back. Plus it was a nice pay raise. This was a very attractive job offer.

But what really swayed us into staying is that we are about to have our current house paid off in a couple of years and should be debt free. Real estate at the other location is more expensive and we’d have to be in debt another 5 -10 yrs (even with the increase in pay.) We also did not want to leave our friends/family and support network. We are living in “interesting” times and I suspect they are about to become more perilous. It’s good to have family and friends (the kind you can call in the middle of the night and they will rush over to help you.) We would have lost that if we relocated. There are a lot more variables that made it complicated but that is the gist of it.

It was really tearing us up trying to make this decision. We were both frustrated because we had been praying earnestly about it and just did not feel any direction from God whatsoever. I was calling everyone we knew asking for prayer. We had been hashing it out all day Sunday for hours (had to give an answer the next day) and we were getting emotionally exhausted. DH had excel spreadsheet looking at all the financial aspects etc.

And then God answered. We were sitting at our kitchen table and we were looking at the financial numbers (for the 20th time) and suddenly we just had this moment of clarity which helped us come to a decision. We felt a sense of peace about it, even though it was very bittersweet at the same time, because in many ways it really was a good opportunity for my DH and it was hard for him to tell them no.

So thank you again for everyone who prayed for us. I did not expect my thread to get this many responses and I am humbled and full of gratitude that all of you prayed for us and offered advice. I know that we came to the right decision through God's help and you all were part of that. :rs: :rs: :rs: :rs:
Be at peace with your decision if you feel you were truly answered. Wish you the best!
 

bluelady

Veteran Member
Update:

First of all, I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers.

My DH (along with my input) ultimately decided that we would stay here and he will continue to look for job opportunities that are local to us. In fact, he just had an interview today for another position at his current employer (but a totally different division and would be reporting to his old boss, who he likes.)

It was so hard because the new job location was a beautiful area with nice people. The people who wanted to hire him were wonderful. In fact, that was one of the things that drew us is that he’d be working for such a great boss. They even told him if he changes his mind in the next few weeks to call them back. Plus it was a nice pay raise. This was a very attractive job offer.

But what really swayed us into staying is that we are about to have our current house paid off in a couple of years and should be debt free. Real estate at the other location is more expensive and we’d have to be in debt another 5 -10 yrs (even with the increase in pay.) We also did not want to leave our friends/family and support network. We are living in “interesting” times and I suspect they are about to become more perilous. It’s good to have family and friends (the kind you can call in the middle of the night and they will rush over to help you.) We would have lost that if we relocated. There are a lot more variables that made it complicated but that is the gist of it.

It was really tearing us up trying to make this decision. We were both frustrated because we had been praying earnestly about it and just did not feel any direction from God whatsoever. I was calling everyone we knew asking for prayer. We had been hashing it out all day Sunday for hours (had to give an answer the next day) and we were getting emotionally exhausted. DH had excel spreadsheet looking at all the financial aspects etc.

And then God answered. We were sitting at our kitchen table and we were looking at the financial numbers (for the 20th time) and suddenly we just had this moment of clarity which helped us come to a decision. We felt a sense of peace about it, even though it was very bittersweet at the same time, because in many ways it really was a good opportunity for my DH and it was hard for him to tell them no.

So thank you again for everyone who prayed for us. I did not expect my thread to get this many responses and I am humbled and full of gratitude that all of you prayed for us and offered advice. I know that we came to the right decision through God's help and you all were part of that. :rs: :rs: :rs: :rs:
God gave you clarity (I think He waits til the last minute so we benefit from the process of trusting Him! :) ), and peace, and now a good interview. He is sooooo good!!
 

Bud in Fla

Veteran Member
Evidently neither you nor he have ever traveled as part of a job. As someone who worked as a contractor nationwide in the 90’s, I’m going to solve your immediate problem. Here’s what you do:

He leaves for the job site every Sunday evening. He stays at a motel Sunday through Thursday nights, then drives home on the weekend. This method will give you all the breathing room you need to relocate at a leisurely pace.

And only being 3 hours from friends and family? That’s nothing. You know what has to be done. Suck it up and make it happen.

You’re welcome. :D
Don't forget about a reasonably priced, used camper, too! I worked on the road planning power plant outages for years in my camper. Much cheaper than a motel and you don't have to pack up & move out every weekend plus you have a kitchen.
 

philkar

Senior Member
Cheers to you for patiently waiting to hear God's plan. Just today I once again learned that God wants me to patient and wait on Him. Today surgery was avoided just by me being patient! God's plan not mine I would have had it over with weeks ago!
 

lostinaz

Senior Member
I did this exact same thing for 2 years, but my commute was MUCH worse. I went from Southern UT to Souther CA. I has a free place to stay at my dad's, but then the daily commute was a 2 hour drive in traffic. 3 hours is nothing!
 

Double_A

TB Fanatic
Update:

First of all, I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the prayers.

My DH (along with my input) ultimately decided that we would stay here and he will continue to look for job opportunities that are local to us. In fact, he just had an interview today for another position at his current employer (but a totally different division and would be reporting to his old boss, who he likes.)

It was so hard because the new job location was a beautiful area with nice people. The people who wanted to hire him were wonderful. In fact, that was one of the things that drew us is that he’d be working for such a great boss. They even told him if he changes his mind in the next few weeks to call them back. Plus it was a nice pay raise. This was a very attractive job offer.

But what really swayed us into staying is that we are about to have our current house paid off in a couple of years and should be debt free. Real estate at the other location is more expensive and we’d have to be in debt another 5 -10 yrs (even with the increase in pay.) We also did not want to leave our friends/family and support network. We are living in “interesting” times and I suspect they are about to become more perilous. It’s good to have family and friends (the kind you can call in the middle of the night and they will rush over to help you.) We would have lost that if we relocated. There are a lot more variables that made it complicated but that is the gist of it.

It was really tearing us up trying to make this decision. We were both frustrated because we had been praying earnestly about it and just did not feel any direction from God whatsoever. I was calling everyone we knew asking for prayer. We had been hashing it out all day Sunday for hours (had to give an answer the next day) and we were getting emotionally exhausted. DH had excel spreadsheet looking at all the financial aspects etc.

And then God answered. We were sitting at our kitchen table and we were looking at the financial numbers (for the 20th time) and suddenly we just had this moment of clarity which helped us come to a decision. We felt a sense of peace about it, even though it was very bittersweet at the same time, because in many ways it really was a good opportunity for my DH and it was hard for him to tell them no.

So thank you again for everyone who prayed for us. I did not expect my thread to get this many responses and I am humbled and full of gratitude that all of you prayed for us and offered advice. I know that we came to the right decision through God's help and you all were part of that. :rs: :rs: :rs: :rs:
Sounds good to me. I knew you'd get something in the same company!
 

Sammy55

Veteran Member
Thanks for the update. And you're right. In these uncertain and very perilous times, having a good community that "has your back" is much more valuable than a few more bucks of funny money. Especially when things may be going hot soon and the financial bottom may drop out. Then the money won't be worth anything, but the community will be worth a whole lot!

Glad God gave you His answer and His peace and that you were open to receiving them. He WILL guide you, take care of you, and answer you -- in HIS time!
 

Nich1

Veteran Member
And then God answered.
What a wonderful reminder! And...He always does. :-) So glad for your resolution and also for your willingness to search the ins and outs of the situation! I'm sure you have grown closer together and closer to the One Who loves you most.
 
Top