Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL Why are able-bodied adults with no kids eligible for food stamps?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why are able-bodied adults with no kids eligible for food stamps?

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...od_stamps.html

By Patricia L. Dickson
    10-12 minutes

When the news broke that the Trump administration is scheduled to make changes to the federal food stamp program (SNAP) that would strengthen eligibility requirements for able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWD), the liberal media kicked their fear-mongering talking points into high gear. After reading the actual details about the coming changes, I concluded that they Are needed. Nevertheless, the liberal media and elected members of the Democrat party deliberately chose to leave out important details in order to cause fear and panic among food stamp recipients. Much of the reporting omitted the phrase "able-bodied without dependents." That deliberate and calculated omission makes it difficult to calm the fears of the elderly and disabled. Even though the tightening of eligibility requirements affects only able-bodied adults (between the ages of 18 and 49) without children, it is being reported that the scheduled changes could cause kids to lose free school lunches. This false reporting is done for the sole purpose of spreading fear.

Reading the details about SNAP changes, I begin to wonder: why are some individuals up in arms about cutting food stamps for able-bodied adults when we have a national unemployment rate of 3.6 percent and over seven million jobs available? Manufacturers are reporting that there aren't enough workers to fill their open positions. In fact, why are able-bodied adults eligible for food stamps to begin with? Who decided that it is a good thing to give a single healthy adult (especially one without children) in the prime of his life food stamps under any circumstance?

Now that we as a nation have created a dependent group of people, many now believe they are owed these so-called benefits. I made a YouTube video about the SNAP changes, and I was shocked at some of the comments I received. I now realize that I live in a bubble, because I know of only a few able-bodied relatives who receive food stamps, but I thought they were outliers. (Video is at end of article)

I vehemently contend that there is absolutely no excuse for a healthy single adult in his prime needing government assistance to feed himself. Many commenters presented minimum-wage jobs and the high cost of rent as justification for an able-bodied adult without dependents to need food stamps. To that point, I contend that there is always a way for a healthy adult to earn more income working with his hands. There are side jobs such as yard work and house-cleaning that can be done to supplement an individual's income.

Many commenters ignored the idea of working with one's hands to earn extra money and said I am not realistic and that everyone is not like me. So working for a living is not realistic?

I did receive some positives messages from hardworking red-blooded Americans like the following:

Patricia I have just watched your YouTube video, I also agree on your views about able bodied people and doing what they gotta do...I am a white woman, I just turned 57, I went and got my class A , CDL, I work with all men, I work for a municipality , I plow roads in the winter and road repairs all summer, I deal with sucky men's attitudes every day, they hate that a woman is doing this job, and better than them. So, when people say they can't find a job it makes me angry. I obviously live where it snows a lot, these people would have a shoveling job for 6 months of the year...I have family members and I know a lot of people who do not want to break a sweat!!!! This subject makes me so angry...I have to do 210% to prove myself every day. GIT-R-DONE

Somehow, over the past fifty years, we have created a dependent group of people who believe that their current life situation is not their fault. Many believe that they have nothing to do with the fact that they can acquire only minimum-wage jobs, although there are millions of good-paying jobs available. As for housing costs, yes, they are rising. However, rent is comparable to the median income in an area. If it were not, all of the rental properties in that area would be vacant. People who cannot afford rent in the area where they live believe that the cost should be lowered to their income instead of their income increasing to meet the cost.

I cannot count the number of times that I hear people say the monthly jobs report numbers are not accurate because they can't find a job. Never do these entitled people take stock of their own lives and pinpoint where they have made mistakes that have landed them in their current circumstances (mainly failure to obtain an education or skill). I conclude that people are shielded from acknowledging their role in their current situation because America has taught them through entitlement programs that they deserve to be taken care of even if they are in the prime of their lives. What have we created?

Contact the author at patdickson@earthlink.net. Follow her on Twitter
    at @Patrici15767099 and YouTube.

Below is the 15 minute video referred to in the article, she talks about how she grew up, doing side gigs for money, Trump, and able bodied adults not working.

I don't have a problem with the policy and many states already have similar policies in place. But I have recently seen another side. A friend has returned to school. This last year, because of tuition and book fees, he only had sufficient funds to purchase a meal plan that allows one meal a day during the week. The degree he is getting is one of the engineering degrees and when he isn't in class or lab, he is studying, doing projects, or in study groups. He does work in the semester breaks.
    Anyways, he doesn't qualify for SNAP because he is an able bodied adult with no dependents. (Snd he wouldn't apply even if he did qualify.)
    So there are some people that slide through the cracks. In his case, upon discovering the problem, friends and I filled the pantry at his house and I am getting stuff for him when I get my groceries. He has another year and a half before his degree is finished.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

Yup. These latest crimps in eligibility don't apply to people over 50, disabled, etc. I truly believe we have an underclass now in this country who think the world owes them a living simply because they exist. Granted, lots of booze-hounds, druggies, etc. probably taking advantage too, (and may actually be THE majority involved) but that's no excuse. Actually, they can probably get on SS disability at this point in the "crazy" continuum.

Short answer to the OP's question...

Because large numbers of adults in America are too low-IQ, lazy, and irresponsible to be desirable workers.

Because we won't imprison or deport them, instead giving them bread and circuses so they won't all constantly riot and commit crime.

Because we have minimum wage laws. Without them, wages would drop to where even marginal potential workers would have net value, a perfect balancing out of supply and demand. No one will hire workers worth 0.5x/hour if min wage is 1.0x/hour. Min wage laws are a kind of price control, and those typically eventually result in shortages, in this case jobs.

Not hard to understand IMO.

P.S.: "I work for a municipality , I plow roads in the winter and road repairs all summer"

Bet she is a sign holder, NOT an actual shoveler. That kind of job is supposed to be held by an injured/older man while he heals/approaches retirement, instead of a chick taking his job so they can boast about their [sexual] "diversity".
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrsyan View Post
    I don't have a problem with the policy and many states already have similar policies in place. But I have recently seen another side. A friend has returned to school. This last year, because of tuition and book fees, he only had sufficient funds to purchase a meal plan that allows one meal a day during the week. The degree he is getting is one of the engineering degrees and when he isn't in class or lab, he is studying, doing projects, or in study groups. He does work in the semester breaks.
    Anyways, he doesn't qualify for SNAP because he is an able bodied adult with no dependents. (Snd he wouldn't apply even if he did qualify.)
    So there are some people that slide through the cracks. In his case, upon discovering the problem, friends and I filled the pantry at his house and I am getting stuff for him when I get my groceries. He has another year and a half before his degree is finished.
    If by meal plan you mean one provided at the college dining hall, for even one meal/day it's likely more expensive than his fill of bread, peanut butter and mac'n'cheese made at home. That's about what I lived on when going to school. But then you gotta know how to boil water and granted, be able to get to a grocery store once in a while.

Going to school has always been a struggle for many students. But looking back, it does build character. You are doing the right thing by making sure he has some basics in the house. Best way to help people, and he will treasure his degree all the more for the sacrifices.

This conversation brings back college memories...lol! In college in the early 1970's, my weekly food purchase included a box of Velveeta cheese, a pound of Balogna and a loaf of bread. This combined with cans of tomato soup that was filled with instant rice. I think my food budget was $10 a week. The first $4 purchased a case of cheap beer...lol!

My little brother gets food stamps and he has no dependents. He's in California and is self employed. He really doesn't make enough to even get close to the poverty rate. At 42 he drinks beer like a fish.

My other older brother died at age 42 of a massive heart attack. He drank like a fish too.

Lots in common, except my older brother may have been enabled by me cause I was his boss and I refused to fire him. My little brother is enabled by government safety net.

Just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    If by meal plan you mean one provided at the college dining hall, for even one meal/day it's likely more expensive than his fill of bread, peanut butter and mac'n'cheese made at home. That's about what I lived on when going to school. But then you gotta know how to boil water and granted, be able to get to a grocery store once in a while.

Going to school has always been a struggle for many students. But looking back, it does build character. You are doing the right thing by making sure he has some basics in the house. Best way to help people, and he will treasure his degree all the more for the sacrifices.
    I know enough about nutrition and the ill effects of poor nutrition that it makes me cringe to hear about people trying to get through college on cheap carbs and filler like that. Anyone who takes their education seriously and is working their backside off needs good nutrition for at least one meal a day.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

When I did our church's food bank I was amazed at how many adults, without children who were not able-bodied, and truly in need were either denied or given a paltry sum per month (in the neighborhood of $20. per month).

Nobody wants to see anybody in this country go hungry and for the most part, they do not.

A very lucrative non-profit here and nation-wide take as free donations all of the out of date or soon to be out of date groceries from all the grocery stores and (here) sell it to food banks for nineteen cents a pound. They just built a multi-million dollar state of the art warehouse here and I'm pretty sure their executive salaries fit well with their multi-million dollar warehouse.

It really is a stroke of genius, the supermarket chains get major tax write-offs, and the food distributor gets the product for free. And everybody gets rich except those disabled or otherwise struggling who don't qualify.

We used to feed them but I don't go to church there anymore and the food bank is, let's just say it's not what it used to be there are so many ways to abuse a good system.

Owner's son tells of being refused for assistance in New Jersey.

He's going to school there and living in his truck (WalMart Parking client) and applied for assistance. Didn't get it because as part of the "discovery process" he had to reveal he had $20K in the bank which was set aside for his Masters Program (not started yet.)

Meanwhile he sees non-English speakers male and female applying for and getting vouchers on either side of him, the state employee handing them out like, er, political campaign stickers.

Which they were.

Owner's Son has MANY stories to tell of the underclass and their dissipate habits from his time in the truck. He's lucky he wasn't killed.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    I know enough about nutrition and the ill effects of poor nutrition that it makes me cringe to hear about people trying to get through college on cheap carbs and filler like that. Anyone who takes their education seriously and is working their backside off needs good nutrition for at least one meal a day.

Kathleen
    Haha! That's why you do it when you are young and bullet-proof. Like I said...builds character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbin View Post

He's going to school there and living in his truck (WalMart Parking client) and applied for assistance. Didn't get it because as part of the "discovery process" he had to reveal he had $20K in the bank which was set aside for his Masters Program (not started yet.)

Meanwhile he sees non-English speakers male and female applying for and getting vouchers on either side of him, the state employee handing them out like, er, political campaign stickers.

Which they were.

Owner's Son has MANY stories to tell of the underclass and their dissipate habits from his time in the truck. He's lucky he wasn't killed.

Dobbin
    My daughter and I are eligible for food stamps based on income, but I still have a few thousand dollars in the bank for the work on this house. I know better than to even apply until that money is used up. Honestly, I won’t apply unless I really have to. It’s one thing to be getting SS; another thing altogether to take food stamps.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.

wickr ID freeholder45

In fact, why are able-bodied adults eligible for food stamps to begin with?

Agreed in general. Depends on the definition a bit. Someone can be able bodied but mentally not be able to hold down a job but there are probably other programs for those people. The scriptures say that if a man will not work than neither should he eat. For those that are able bodied but there are no jobs or transportation to get to those jobs then I like the stipulation that they have to serve their local community in some fashion. Lot's of small towns have let street maintenance and janitorial services at the local buildings go by the wayside as there is no money in the budget for them. In these cases let them report to their township hall and work for their food. If your really hungry and needy you would do so. A lot of the folk that hold signs 'will work for food' really won't work if you offer them food for labor. They don't want to work they just want the money from panhandling.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Because of people in the government that want to promote dependance on the government, despite what good intentions they present on the surface.

Shadow
    "18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness… 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened… 24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts…" Romans 1:18-32

Haha! That's why you do it when you are young and bullet-proof. Like I said...builds character.
    Problem is, your brain can’t function well on a diet like that, and when you are going to college to get an education (vs going to party), you need your brain functioning at it’s best. Also, a cruddy diet like that, especially while you are under stress, is setting you up for serious health problems later, especially if there is any family tendency towards auto-immune diseases. I understand sometimes you just have to suck it up and do the best you can, but I feel we are doing our children a life-long disservice if we allow them to ruin their health when they are young. My comments don’t have anything to do with food stamps, by the way. Able-bodied people should be working, not getting food stamps. If they can’t eat a nutritious diet on their wages, then they may have to make some hard choices so they can eat better. I just think that, if something has to be given up, it should not be good nutrition.

Kathleen

wickr ID freeholder45

My dad retired 20 years ago. His last job was overseeing the inside & outside facilities of a large church. He’d done that at several churches over the years.

Many people would come into his office asking for a handout (Large inner city church) and dad would offer them a job, mowing with the lawn crew, pulling weeds, or painting, cleaning, etc. They almost never took him up on it - they wanted free crap!

For the most part it was a con. Sure, older or disabled people were taken care of quite well. But the “able bodied” needed to at least show a willingness to work.

I have no problem with able-bodied adults getting -SHORT TERM- food assistance. Like up to 12 weeks for unforeseen disasters like losing a job or sudden housing issues. If the person is actually able-bodied. There are a whole lot of people who are NOT able, but still not qualified for other types of help. Mentally ill, taking care of other family members or children who are not their own. Actively looking for a job, but struggling due to housing issues. Newly dumped wives or husbands who don't have been out of the work world for too long to get an immediate situation. There are lots of reasons that people might need a temporary assist. Just not a permanent assist.

All government safety nets need to be gotten rid of. Then all mandated government payroll liabilities can go away.

Then able bodied individuals would have to hide to not have or find a job to at least put food in their bodies.

Thats my stick, and I have to believe it.

I've read that the country of India has something like 10 million plus beggermen, and not one government safety net. Weird how that works. Plus they worship cows, instead of eating them. Amazing.

WHY??

To keep them voting D.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    Problem is, your brain can’t function well on a diet like that, and when you are going to college to get an education (vs going to party), you need your brain functioning at it’s best. Also, a cruddy diet like that, especially while you are under stress, is setting you up for serious health problems later, especially if there is any family tendency towards auto-immune diseases. I understand sometimes you just have to suck it up and do the best you can, but I feel we are doing our children a life-long disservice if we allow them to ruin their health when they are young. My comments don’t have anything to do with food stamps, by the way. Able-bodied people should be working, not getting food stamps. If they can’t eat a nutritious diet on their wages, then they may have to make some hard choices so they can eat better. I just think that, if something has to be given up, it should not be good nutrition.

Kathleen
    This was why I was upset with him when I found out. He had been changung and I had noticed it. He was saying/doing things that were not normal and definitely didn't show his normal levels of clear headed and smart thinking. And he's fighting with the 2nd round of one of those hell courses that everyone fights through (for that degree. Each degree has at least one of them.)
    Most of the food is quick prep because he won't take the time to cook unless it's in the slow cooker. But he did agree that he would also use an electric steamer, so the friend network helped find one.
    I'm getting him "quick" things. But also healthy, filling things that only take a few minutes to prepare. And then adding on a few slow cooker meals. (And freezer bags so that he doesn't try to live off of it for a week or two straight.)
    He's smart in so many ways. But when it comes to food, cooking and health, well, I occasionally want to bounce cast iron off his skull. He's learning though. His body is nowhere near as indestructible as it was when he was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post

A very lucrative non-profit here and nation-wide take as free donations all of the out of date or soon to be out of date groceries from all the grocery stores and (here) sell it to food banks for nineteen cents a pound. They just built a multi-million dollar state of the art warehouse here and I'm pretty sure their executive salaries fit well with their multi-million dollar warehouse.

It really is a stroke of genius, the supermarket chains get major tax write-offs, and the food distributor gets the product for free. And everybody gets rich except those disabled or otherwise struggling who don't qualify.

We used to feed them but I don't go to church there anymore and the food bank is, let's just say it's not what it used to be there are so many ways to abuse a good system.
    Sometimes, I wish I could do a one pallet buy at that price. Just an assortment of shelf stable. Pretty sure that within 24 hours I'd have it dispersed to quite a few families that fall through the safety nets.
    I have a friend that repeatedly asks why don't use them for my son and I. We had a long talk about food allergies and health. As a result, the food pantry she helps at decided to start carrying items for special diets and cooking from scratch. Not mainly junk and freezer meals. I still don't go (picture taking a severe autist and sitting for long periods in a loud noisy place. Nope.) But it is good to know that at least one food pantry is trying.

I'm 82. Blessed with good health. I had a middle class upbringing but still didn't get through these 82 years without some serious bumps in the road. They were of my own making. There have been periods of time during those years that I didn't know where my next meal was coming from. It was scary beyond belief. It scared me so bad that I did whatever I had to do to get myself out of that situation and to keep myself from ever getting into it again.

During those times I never once took a lick of charity. Never took a dime of government hand-out. And I had a child to feed. Once lost my job 2 weeks before Christmas.(Company closed its doors). You do what you have to do. You make do until you can make better. Eating a high-cab diet doesn't kill you for a bit does'nt kill you as long as you admit your mistakes and change what you are doing.

Life is a series of ups and downs. I don't know of anyone who has had smooth sailing from cradle to grave. We have all had good years and bad years. That's called LIFE. It is how you react to those years that makes you a winner or loser.

My problems were of my own making( perspective and time are a great teacher) It was my job to get myself out of that and do what need to be done not to make those same mistakes again.
    "It is never the tigers that get you. It is always the gnats."

Most colleges now REQUIRE that you buy their stupid meal plan if you live on campus. The ones I know about are exorbitant in price. Don’t know where they came up w this crap (follow the money), but most people can’t afford it. Again you do what you have to do but I honestly think this practice should be banned. You offer it. If the person wants it fine. But it should not be a requirement.

And the truly able bodied should be working with no food stamps instead of getting their nails done and stuff.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

This is how things are to work. Government giving checks in never the answer.

Able bodied people shouldn't get food stamps in today's economy. Too many unfilled jobs out there, they need to find one. Been there and done that in my younger years, finances were tight with a capital T but I made it. Never skimped on groceries; remember growing up and sometimes food wasn't in the house. Hated that feeling and did what it took to keep food in the house. There's TONS of side jobs anywhere you look and cleaning a garage out for 20 bucks, or working on someone's car, or clearing trash, or clearing brush (did all those things!) is groceries for a week if you buy right. I was never ever afraid to put my back into it to keep food on the table. To this day our home is jammed with groceries for that reason. My family will never go hungry if there's breath left in my body.

Some folks in the apt. building we live in are having those issues though. They work, hard, most work one or two jobs, but have kids and you can tell times are tough with them. I went hungry sometimes when I was little, I know the look and it tears my guts up. So, when we go to the store we'll pick up some extra groceries. We'll knock on our neighbor's door, hi there we went grocery shopping and bought stuff we already had plenty of. Can you use it? It's always welcomed and more importantly it's used. And more importantly, it's the act of a neighbor, not the act of some group that crows to the heavens about how charitable and pious they are.(Hated!!! that when I was little and some church group donated to us).

People, whether down on their luck or not still have dignity. We all have rough patches and need help. Right after thanksgiving,We bought a bunch of big butterball turkeys. Food Lion had a sale on them and on 10 pound bags of flour too. Cheap! So we did that with the other 8 families in here. I swear you can still smell turkey and bread cooking in the hallways. Did it with candy for the families with kids here after halloween-wife got huge bags of hershey's candy assortments for 2 bucks a bag on clearance at the PX.The families liked it-the kids LOVED it. (And they all know my wife as one who "buys too much".) We live in a building where there are African families, arab families, and white families. Charity begins at home, no matter who you are. Wife has always had plenty but she understands my "weirdness" and likes doing it too. We do it pretty regularly; usually rent time is tough for a lot of folks. A neighborly gift goes a LONG way in helping folks over the rough spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbin View Post

Which they were.

Dobbin
    He should have taken the money and turned it into gold and silver or some other untraceable asset. According to a disability lawyer I know, lots of people are turned down because they still have an extra old car or truck - even if it's not running or being restored - still titled in their name.

Best
    Doc

This was why I was upset with him when I found out. He had been changung and I had noticed it. He was saying/doing things that were not normal and definitely didn't show his normal levels of clear headed and smart thinking. And he's fighting with the 2nd round of one of those hell courses that everyone fights through (for that degree. Each degree has at least one of them.)
    Most of the food is quick prep because he won't take the time to cook unless it's in the slow cooker. But he did agree that he would also use an electric steamer, so the friend network helped find one.
    I'm getting him "quick" things. But also healthy, filling things that only take a few minutes to prepare. And then adding on a few slow cooker meals. (And freezer bags so that he doesn't try to live off of it for a week or two straight.)
    He's smart in so many ways. But when it comes to food, cooking and health, well, I occasionally want to bounce cast iron off his skull. He's learning though. His body is nowhere near as indestructible as it was when he was younger.
    He needs an instant pot. He can have a healthy pot roast in less than 70 minutes, 60 for the meat, 10 minutes for the veggies. he can eat on that for a few days.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I did roofing work thru college and obtained a civil engineering degree.... Had help from the family, but not a lot after my first year.... I graduated without any debt....

Your desire to get ahead does cause problems, but they are fixable with sufficient effort....

It is good kyrsyan that you help the young man....

Texican....

"Why are able-bodied adults with no kids able to get food stamps?"

Because even what's considered "full employment" is actually four percent unemployment? I remember my own time unemployed. You wanted work, but you couldn't find it. It was a terrible time.

Sometimes abled body adults need a hand in a rough patch. I was on Food Stamps for a month and a half when my unemployment ran out and my wife's job couldn't cover us. We were relying on family assistance to pay the Bill's. We bought ended up taking other jobs after we missed a hoop and lost the food Stamps benefits. I ended up in a job with a 50% pay cut from my previous work.

Sometimes even good people need help.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury ... Alexander Tytler

Quote Originally Posted by Granana View Post
    I'm 82. Blessed with good health. I had a middle class upbringing but still didn't get through these 82 years without some serious bumps in the road. They were of my own making. There have been periods of time during those years that I didn't know where my next meal was coming from. It was scary beyond belief. It scared me so bad that I did whatever I had to do to get myself out of that situation and to keep myself from ever getting into it again.

During those times I never once took a lick of charity. Never took a dime of government hand-out. And I had a child to feed. Once lost my job 2 weeks before Christmas.(Company closed its doors). You do what you have to do. You make do until you can make better. Eating a high-cab diet doesn't kill you for a bit does'nt kill you as long as you admit your mistakes and change what you are doing.

Life is a series of ups and downs. I don't know of anyone who has had smooth sailing from cradle to grave. We have all had good years and bad years. That's called LIFE. It is how you react to those years that makes you a winner or loser.

My problems were of my own making( perspective and time are a great teacher) It was my job to get myself out of that and do what need to be done not to make those same mistakes again.

Thank you both!

There are (and always have been) plenty of highly intelligent and productive people who were raised on diets that were less than optimum. Struggling does build character and appreciation for what you have!

Lordy!

“Prosperity breeds idiots.” – Alexander Solzhenitsyn, In the First Circle
    "Communism has never come to power in a country that was not disrupted by war or corruption, or both." - John F. Kennedy

I've gone hungry several times, though never figured out how to apply. The last time was when I was swindled out of 3 months of grocery money while in college by a roommate. I did get it back, slowly, through persistence and not outright calling her a thief. The other times I just soldiered through. I wouldn't blame anyone getting on short term assistance.

If they are hungry Americans, I have no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doat View Post
    If they are hungry Americans, I have no problem with it.
    You left out the word "Heritage" between "hungry" and "Americans". The rest need to go back home (to Latin America, Somalia, Buttcrackistan, Siberia, wherever), not using up charity only whites paid for.
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Well why do Adults that never had children have to pay for other peoples kids to go to school? Not only to learn the 3 R's but also to play football, volleyball and such.

You can't get anymore unjust than that.

Then come income tax time people with kids get a big break that those without kids have to pay more to make up the difference.
    But not likely to die free

Quote Originally Posted by BornFree View Post
    Well why do Adults that never had children have to pay for other peoples kids to go to school? Not only to learn the 3 R's but also to play football, volleyball and such.

Then come income tax time people with kids get a big break that those without kids have to pay more to make up the difference.
    Because those same adults who couldn't be bothered to sire/bear and raise children expect other people's children to work and pay taxes for their pension systems, Social Security, Medicare, etc., and to serve in the .mil in time of war to protect them when they're too old and decrepit to do so themselves.

Getting by on a high-carb diet of cheap c**p for a short time is one thing. When my husband was in the Air Force and we were living on $500/month - and half of that was going out for rent, or later a mortgage payment - we were often (almost always) down to cheap carbs by the end of the month, even though we usually had a garden and I cooked from scratch. What worries me is when young people try to do that for years on end while they get through college. Even then, though, I don’t think they ought to be getting food stamps. They could back off on their classes and work a few more hours per week instead. Might take longer to get the degree, but they won’t have ruined their health. And they will have developed a good work ethic, and hopefully the ability to live on a budget!

Kathleen

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by BornFree View Post

You know, you are correct. I agree. I have had this thought come to mind in the past. The school's operation costs are getting outlandish, with the computers and techy things, upgrades needed/remodeling, added security and officers, pensions/healthcare costs, etc.

In answer to the OP question, there are many people who live alone working FT or two jobs, but cannot make ends meet. Even if paid above minimum age, everything is getting pricier from all directions, especially rents and some utilities, food- you know basic needs. Makes for less and less disposable income for many, including being able to save.

Some people qualify for a small benefit to supplement the grocery $.
    https://safeg.net/home A Safe Alternative to Harmful 5G Wireless

Matthew 10:17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues; 18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. 19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    Because those same adults who couldn't be bothered to sire/bear and raise children expect other people's children to work and pay taxes for their pension systems, Social Security, Medicare, etc., and to serve in the .mil in time of war to protect them when they're too old and decrepit to do so themselves.
    Those things were supposed to be paid for by payroll taxes on the employee who receives the benefits. You can thank the bankers and the government for the mess they are in. Personally I am against socialism in pretty much all forms. I also sincerely believe that if you are just a few years away from collecting any of those things then you are out of luck. The national debt will dictate that.
    But not likely to die free