Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

INSANITY Swiss govt bans boiling lobsters alive under new animal protection rules
+ Reply to Thread

Swiss govt bans boiling lobsters alive under new animal protection rules

This circles back to the thread about burning down the apartment while incinerating a spider.

The Swiss government has gone against the wishes of restaurateurs and banned the practice of boiling live lobsters. It comes as part of sweeping new animal protection legislation.

The law, which dictates that live lobster and crayfish must be stunned before killing, was passed by the Federal Council on Wednesday and it will come into effect on March 1.

“Live crustaceans, including the lobster, may no longer be transported on ice or in ice water. Aquatic species must always be kept in their natural environment. Crustaceans must now be stunned before killing them,” the new rules say, Reuters reports.

The new laws have raised the hackles of restaurant owners who say they will have to retrofit their kitchens to accommodate the new practice, Swiss newspaper Tages Anzeiger reports.

A host of other animal protection rules are included in the new regulations, including the banning of devices that punish dogs for barking, new rules on the size of pet cages and a decree that says guinea pigs, rabbits and chicks are no longer allowed to be put on display in zoos.

Switzerland follows its neighbor Italy with changes to lobster storage regulations. An Italian court ruled last June that lobsters cannot be kept on ice in restaurant kitchens because it causes them undue suffering.

"While the particular method of cooking can be considered legal by recognizing that it is commonly used, the suffering caused by detaining the animals while they wait to be cooked cannot be justified in that way," the judges wrote.

https://www.rt.com/news/415542-boili...d-switzerland/
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

I always kill them first by pouring boiling water on their head.

Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulSkeptic View Post
    I always kill them first by pouring boiling water on their head.
    How do you stun a lobster? Will a stun gun work? Maybe if you told them you wouldn't eat them, they would be stunned.
    In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people. Source – The Declaration of Independence

These people are just plain insane. Stun a lobster?

Lolz...The wife and I were watching one of those "Best Restaurants" shows a couple of days ago. They were spotlighting some crab shack on the Western Shore of Maryland - Liberal Heaven. Anyway, they were in the kitchen, prepping the crabs for cooking.
    Note to all, crabs are steamed, and steamed while they are still alive. There is no exception to this rule, you want Maryland crabs done proper and correct, then they will be steamed alive.
    So, this assclown restaurant owner is seen on cable TeeVee throwing dead crabs in a boiling pot of water. To boil.
    We just looked at each other with a WTF look......
    Why isn't Hillary Clinton in prison?
    III

I always hated how they killed lobsters and wondered why they didn't just decapitate them before they tossed them in the pot, boiling to death is a wicked thing to do to any animal.
    Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post
    I always hated how they killed lobsters and wondered why they didn't just decapitate them before they tossed them in the pot, boiling to death is a wicked thing to do to any animal.
    While I am certainly not a PETAphile, I certainly agree with you on this.

CrustaStun machine

1 second zap stuns it, 5 second zap kills it. Call it the lobster electric chair.

Alternatively, a quick puncture and slice starting at the center and moving forward between its eyes will severe it's central nervous system in approximately 3/4 second.
    Facts?? We don't need no stinkin facts...

Any consideration for the "undue suffering" caused to humans if the lobsters aren't kept cold?

Next they'll suggest we stun a tree before we cut it. How about your lawn too?

It is a slippery slope when you start transferring HUMAN feelings to animals. I don't believe any animal should be MISTREATED by humans, ever. I guess the definition of that is the problem. Watch some video of juvenile lions toying with a gazelle. I would think a hypothermic lobster would be stunned and "chilled" (pun intended).

ETA: I mentioned the lions because the natural world has never been humane. We can be good stewards without abusing natural creatures. The agenda behind these regulations isn't about animal welfare. jmo
    Last edited by Luddite; 01-11-2018 at 04:09 AM.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Next they'll suggest we stun a tree before we cut it. How about your lawn too?
    "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." --Jack Handey

I despise those lobster containers at the grocery stores. I have to avert my eyes when I walk by them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCraftsman View Post
    "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." --Jack Handey
    I began climbing a backyard camphor tree at age four. At age 18 mom wanted it taken down for some reason. She had a bid for $5,000. I told her I would do it for a Ruger 10/22. It was my tree. I took it down with a hand saw climbing up in it for the last time.

I skillfully dropped branches over power lines and a fragile wooden fence. I was not real happy taking the tree down. I was only a tree hugger as I climbed it high and held on in strong winds as the limbs would sway.

I doubt I could get that close to a lobster without a wooden mallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post
    Lobsters don't have a proper head. What little brain they have is buried inside the carapace behind their eyes. Decapitating a lobster would involve massive trauma as you would essentially have to chop off the front quarter of the animal. Dropping them headfirst into boiling water kills them virtually instantaneously. The temperature swing is so extreme that their nervous system can't react fast enough for them to feel anything before they die. It's certainly more humane than how they typically die in the wild i.e. dismembered while still alive.
    E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

Scientists have proven that lobsters don’t have a limbic system and cannot feel pain.

I don't have a problem stunning shellfish or other animals if it is practical to do so, but I totally fail to see why having a ban on zoos having displays of rabbits, guinea pigs or chicks should be a problem?

I would think that small domestic animals would be perfect for a hands-on "petting zoo" for supervised children and adults (with children needing to be seven or above to do more than touch a small animal without a parent actually holding it).

Heck, it could even be run with animal rescue groups who often get bunnies and chicks turned in the weeks after Easter; many whom are socialized and like being handled; one of the zoos in Scandinavia (I think Sweden) also had a working adult hen house where urban children and adults could watch happy birds: pecking, scratching and doing happy chicken things and also see eggs collected by the staff etc.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Having owned a lobster boat back in New England for several years, one of the first things you learn is that a lobster has at best what would be considered a very rudimentary nervous system to begin with, and on no level does it compare to any animal that walks on land, it does not even compare to a basic codfish. How foolish liberals are.....
    I can imagine the laws that they want in place when dealing with shellfish.
    Rusty in NC
    Don't tread on me!
    sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
    Wickr tiger133

Quote Originally Posted by fairbanksb View Post
    How do you stun a lobster? Will a stun gun work? Maybe if you told them you wouldn't eat them, they would be stunned.
    LOL!!
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

Drusilla, "The UNVANQUISHED. William Faulkner

Will stunning work on a demoncrat?
    "Why not stay awake now? Who wants to sleep now with so much happening, so much to see? Life used to be dull you see...and you don't have to sleep alone, you don't even have to sleep at all; and so, all you have to do is show the stick to the dog now and then and say, 'Thank God for nothing.'"

Drusilla, "The UNVANQUISHED. William Faulkner

If they think Cajuns are going to stun a couple thousand crawfish before boiling them, they're a little out of touch.

Yes, but they scream at the sky before they pass out.

And it's LIBERAL, not DEMOCRAT. Let's try to drop the UniParty labels. They work for THEM, not for US.

firing squad would work !
    a blind fold and a lobster sized ciggy then bang.