Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ADMIN **** SOFTWARE CHANGEOVER: TODAY’S THE DAY ****
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2 **** SOFTWARE CHANGEOVER: TODAY’S THE DAY ****

So, our Admin and the import contractor have agreed that today’s the day. Tomorrow (at some point) we’ll be on the new software for good. Here’s the timeline, as near as I can determined:

At some point this afternoon, a “final backup” will be taken of this board. After that backup completes, NO POSTS HERE WILL BE TRANSFERRED OVER. (This is important to remember.)

This software will remain up and the board open. Just remember what I just said above.

Some time around 4 am our time, the contractor will begin his import process. He’ll be doing it on his own server. Once the tables are created, he’ll provide the completed database to our Admin to be attached to the new software.

Once attached, the new board will be shut off until I can set the user permissions.

At that point, I’ll open the new software, close this software, and post a “final post” referring folks to the new board.

Remember, until the new board opens, this one will stay open, and anything posted after the backup cutoff WILL NOT be copied over.

By tomorrow mid day, we should be done with the initial changeover. Then the work begins to set the hundreds of things that will need to be set.

Oh No. Now I'm getting nervous. Or is that excited?! I always get those two mixed up lol.

Gluck to all you elves behind the curtains, and boardies, I miss y'all already, so iffin they lose
    us out there in the internets, every hour on the hour you must beam me a big "hello! I am fine!!!"
    message.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

*Ack* But....... but.......... what if something BIG breaks?

So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Bad day to quit sniffing glue.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Where is our "backup rally point" if pvt Murphy shows up?

Been expecting this post. Damm the Torpedo's! Full steam ahead!!!!!!!!!!!
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpace View Post
    Where is our "backup rally point" if pvt Murphy shows up?
    https://talk2metb2k.blogspot.com/. That is one of many options. Believe there is a facebook group, too.
    But, murphy is not invited to this party so we will be fine!
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Actually, AS I SAID IN THE OP, this software will remain open during the change.

Hey, we're a doomsday prepper board, whatcha expect?!

Oh Boy....wait for the weeping and wailing of those that didn't read the new FAQ thread or bother to go over to the new board to familiarize themselves with it.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Maybe you should just locker down before the backup is taken.
    Maybe keep one thread open for tech support?

And if the Norks light of a BIG TOY or someone attacks West Point, or Annapolis, or Colorado Springs then SOMEONE will archive and repost after the "Change"...??????
    "EHR KUMT"

RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    Oh Boy....wait for the weeping and wailing of those that didn't read the new FAQ thread or bother to go over to the new board to familiarize themselves with it.
    I'm currently sending a global email with the new board and FAQ URLs included. The text mirrors the OP above.

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    I'm already feeling that way and I've gone to the new site and signed in and have not had any issues. I just hate change.

Judy

Are you able to cover all the costs Dennis......or do you need some extra donations?

Must be my accounting background....or I am cheap LOL
    True North Strong and Free

As the guy says to his wife after contractions have started ... "Are you sure you want to go through with this?"
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurane View Post
    Are you able to cover all the costs Dennis......or do you need some extra donations?

Must be my accounting background....or I am cheap LOL
    Ultimately, I did over-extend a bit. But hey, what's a few hundred among friends?

Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    I'm already feeling that way and I've gone to the new site and signed in and have not had any issues. I just hate change.

Judy
    I'm right there with you. I have to discard almost 20 years' experience with vBulletin settings and learn this new system right along with everyone. If you think it's sporty on the front-end, you should see behind the curtain!

YIKES!!! I hate change but, here we go :-|
    "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

It'll be fine. Even fun. This new shell is not unlike other boards I frequent.

Hahahaha! Will be more interactive. Maybe causing more bar fights.

What I find very interesting is that most operations happen via popup dialogs, not generating an entire new page. I really like that. It takes a big load off the server.

Dennis....
    Attached Images

What I said on a Lounge post a few days ago:

As for the new version of vB, I bought vB5 the day it was released. It was my intent to install it. But then I read a bunch of stories about how Jelsoft had been bought out, and the vB design team fired or resigned. The team that finished vB5 created some bloated monstrosity that had terrible performance. So I held off, hoping theyd get their act together. In the mean time, I discovered that most of the vB development team had founded xenForo. So I started researching the product (which at that time was version 1), and found that it lacked too much functionality that we needed.

So I waited and waited, checking in every once in a while. When we started having performance issues last summer, I went back and caught up with them. I also read more about vB5. It turns out that those two products are considered the best forum software available. Thats when I activated a 3 day trial of each and sent the users over to beat up on them. They selected xenForo by a wide margin. The rest is history. Anyway here we are today. It looks like by next week well be ported over. There are a plethora of add-ons to get any lost functionality back. There are no post icons either, which bugs me. But well have the old software still active, and can hire developers to provide us the stuff we want, one function at a time.

I just discovered that WE CAN EDIT OUR OWN POLL VOTES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    I'm right there with you. I have to discard almost 20 years' experience with vBulletin settings and learn this new system right along with everyone. If you think it's sporty on the front-end, you should see behind the curtain!
    I know you are doing what you have to do to keep the forum viable and you have my sympathy, but damn its like losing your best friend. I'm sorry to whine.

ETA I just went to the new site and clicked on new posts and that part looks good. The title print is darker and easier to read. I'll live through it.

Judy

The text system is still up if something does happen, right?

Look forward to the new board, this current one has served us well but the new one looks to be light years better.

Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    I know you are doing what you have to do to keep the forum viable and you have my sympathy, but damn its like losing your best friend. I'm sorry to whine.

ETA I just went to the new site and clicked on new posts and that part looks good. The title print is darker and easier to read. I'll live through it.

Judy
    Just think of it as a friend who undergoes a face lift, changed their hair color and style, and updated their wardrobe. It's still the same person underneath.

Dennis,

I am really glad that this is finally happening. It was also very smart to leave our current system up until the new system is operational. I was expecting a shutdown for up to 24 hours. This way some data will not be transferred as we continue to interact, but it won't be lost, and if the balloon does go up we will still be online.

Thank you and your team for all their efforts in this transition!!

Here's hoping I see all y'all on the other side!
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.

We'll get our colors back in the end. No worries. PATIENCE.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The new forum ROCKS. Just did some playing around with it, and it's smooth as butter, more intuitive and fast fast fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    Just think of it as a friend who undergoes a face lift, changed their hair color and style, and updated their wardrobe. It's still the same person underneath.
    Same gender, I hope
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Its a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    Im not afraid of dying...I just dont want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

I just discovered that WE CAN EDIT OUR OWN POLL VOTES!!!!
    We aint no commie bat rastard Dim-o-crats :: spit ::

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    Same gender, I hope
    LOL I hope so, too! Although, aren't computers binary by nature?

They could be self-described abacuses....

I'm currently sending a global email with the new board and FAQ URLs included. The text mirrors the OP above.
    Got mine.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Its a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    Im not afraid of dying...I just dont want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

I used to own/admin five different forums through Invision. A couple of them were quite large and active.

Facebook took a lot of traffic, and Tapatalk took them over. Tapatalk is about the shittiest forum software I've ever seen, and I walked away from all of them. But I had 16 years experience knowing the ins and outs of Invision - now it's useless.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

Got my notification email as well! Let's Go!

It's the day we've all been waiting for!

Here's hoping for the best!

Got my email and I feel special!!! Looking forward to the move and really like the new software.
    Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.