Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH Great Britain in the grips of major scarlet fever outbreak.
+ Reply to Thread

Great Britain in the grips of major scarlet fever outbreak.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cted-week.html

Britain is in the grips of a scarlet fever outbreak as hundreds of cases of the disease have been recorded across England and Wales in recent weeks.

The infectious disease, which was most prominent in the Victorian era, is largely a childhood affliction seen in those aged between two and eight.

The historically dangerous fever is far less serious in the modern day as the disease, characterised by a bright red rash and a sore throat, can be treated with antibiotics.

Despite this, hundreds of cases of the infectious disease have been reported across England and Wales in recent weeks, the Mirror reported.

Some 450 cases of scarlet fever were recorded in England and 30 in Wales last week, according to health officials

The highest number of recent cases were seen across the North West, with 105, Yorkshire and the Humber, with 53, and the East Midlands, where 59 cases were recorded.

Across London, 54 cases of scarlet fever have been recently diagnosed, with another 36 in outer London, according to health officials.

Last week, between 18 November and 24 November, some 419 cases were recorded nationwide.

This compares to 281 cases across England and Wales which were seen in the week ending November 3.

It isn't unusual to see a spike in the number of recorded cases at this time of year as scarlet fever is seasonal, a Public Health England spokesman said.

Since 2014, the number of cases has risen significantly with between 15,000 and 30,000 diagnosed across England each year, Public Health England said.

Health officials also previously recorded a significant rise from 2013, when 4,366 cases of scarlet fever were seen, to 17,829 three years later.

The historically dangerous scarlet fever is far less serious in the modern day as the disease, characterised by a bright red rash and a sore throat, can be treated by antibiotics

Those with scarlet fever often develop a white coating on the tongue which peels away a few days later

Almost all cases of scarlet fever occur in those under 10, and the disease can be treated with a 10-day course of antibiotics.

Scarlet fever is a highly contagious affliction which is spread by close contact with someone already carrying the bacteria. It can then take up to five days to develop symptoms after exposure.

These symptoms include a high temperature, usually of 38C or above, a sore throat and swollen neck glands. A bright red rash typically develops a few days later.

Last April, the British Medical Journal noted the rates of scarlet fever in England had reached the highest point for 50 years.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

This is in great part due to the (desperately needed) reduction of antibiotic use for every sore throat or cold. The problem is when either people think, "no sense in going to the doctor 'just' for a sore throat", or the doctors themselves decide to not run a strep test.

Summerthyme

Penicillin or Keflex is treatment IIRC.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Itís a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

I had so much penicillin as a kid I became allergic to it.

Yup I had scarlet fever as a kid....REALLY SORE THROAT and a rash.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

is there a demographic that it is most prevelant?

is it brought in from other 'countrys'?

does this coincide with any influx of 'new folks'?

Oh, that's not good at all. Penicillin is the first drug of choice, as I recall. My DM had it as a child way back in the late 1920's, became Rheumatic fever and Rheumatic heart disease which damaged her valves. Nasty.
    Last edited by TxGal; 12-08-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo

I suspect the Muzzie kids would be wide open to this disease as I would imagine the vaccination of the "new" immigrants would be close to zero, it may also explain how wide spread it appears across England/UK.

sb
    Scarletbreasted

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletbreasted View Post
    I suspect the Muzzie kids would be wide open to this disease as I would imagine the vaccination of the "new" immigrants would be close to zero, it may also explain how wide spread it appears across England/UK.

sb
    AFAIK there is no vax for scarlet fever. It is bacterial, a strep bug and being Muzzie, Southern Baptist, Canadian or Australian has nothing to do with it.

I had it when I was age 6. Even with prompt and proper treatment its no joke.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

Thanks Ben, I stand corrected...........sb
    Scarletbreasted

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...IRxTt8lNaOP5Ez

Scarlet Fever

What is scarlet fever?

Scarlet fever, also known as scarlatina, is an infection that can develop in people who have strep throat. It’s characterized by a bright red rash on the body, usually accompanied by a high fever and sore throat. The same bacteria that cause strep throat also cause scarlet fever.

Scarlet fever mainly affects children between the ages of 5 and 15 years. It used to be a serious childhood illness, but it’s often less dangerous today. Antibiotic treatments used early on in the illness have helped speed recovery and reduce the severity of the symptoms.

Strep throat rash

A rash is the most common sign of scarlet fever in both adults and children. It usually begins as a red blotchy rash and becomes fine and rough like sandpaper. The scarlet-colored rash is what gives scarlet fever its name. The rash can begin up to two to three days before a person feels ill or up to seven days afterTrusted Source.

The rash typically begins on the neck, groin, and under the arms. It then spreads to the rest of the body. The folds of skin in the armpits, elbows, and knees can also become a deeper red than the surrounding skin.

After the rash has subsided, about seven days, the skin on the tips of the fingers and toes and in the groin may peel. This can last for several weeks.

Other symptoms of scarlet fever

Other common symptoms of scarlet fever include:
    red creases in the armpits, elbows, and knees (Pastia’s lines)
    flushed face
    strawberry tongue, or a white tongue with red dots on the surface
    red, sore throat with white or yellow patches
    fever above 101įF (38.3įC)
    chills
    headaches
    swollen tonsils
    nausea and vomiting
    abdominal pain
    swollen glands along the neck
    pale skin around the lips

Cause of scarlet fever

Scarlet fever is caused by group A Streptococcus, or Streptococcus pyogenes bacteria, which are bacteria that can live in your mouth and nasal passages. Humans are the main source of these bacteria. These bacteria can produce a toxin, or poison, that causes the bright red rash on the body.

Is scarlet fever contagious?

The infection can spread two to five days before a person feels ill and may be spread through contact with droplets from an infected person’s saliva, nasal secretions, sneeze, or cough. This means that any person can contract scarlet fever if they come into direct contact with these infected droplets and then touch their own mouth, nose, or eyes.

You may also get scarlet fever if you drink from the same glass or eat off of the same utensils as a person with the infection. In some cases, group A strep infections have been spread through contaminated foodTrusted Source.

Group A strep can cause a skin infection in some people. These skin infections, known as cellulitis, can spread the bacteria to others. However, touching the rash of scarlet fever will not spread the bacteria since the rash is a result of the toxin not the bacteria itself.

Risk factors for scarlet fever

Scarlet fever mainly affects children between the ages of 5 and 15 years. You catch scarlet fever from being in close contact with others who are infected.

Complications associated with scarlet fever

In most cases, the rash and other symptoms of scarlet fever will be gone in about 10 days to 2 weeks with antibiotic treatment. However, scarlet fever can cause serious complications. These can include:
    rheumatic fever
    kidney disease (glomerulonephritis)
    ear infections
    throat abscesses
    pneumonia
    arthritis

Ear infections, throat abscesses, and pneumonia can best be avoided if scarlet fever is treated promptly with the proper antibiotics. Other complications are known to be the result of the body’s immune response to the infection rather than the bacteria themselves.

Diagnosing scarlet fever

Your child’s doctor will first perform a physical exam to check for signs of scarlet fever. During the exam, the doctor will particularly check the condition of your child’s tongue, throat, and tonsils. They’ll also look for enlarged lymph nodes and examine the appearance and texture of the rash.

If the doctor suspects your child has scarlet fever, they’ll likely swab the back of your child’s throat to collect a sample of their cells for analysis. This is called a throat swab and is used to create a throat culture.

The sample will then be sent to a laboratory to determine whether group A Streptococcus is present. There’s also a rapid throat swab test that can be performed in the office. This may help identify a group A strep infection while you wait.

Treatment for scarlet fever

Scarlet fever is treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics kill bacteria and help the body’s immune system fight off the bacteria causing the infection. Make sure you or your child complete the entire course of the prescribed medication. This will help prevent the infection from causing complications or continuing further.

You can also give certain over-the-counter (OTC) medications, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), for fever and pain. Check with your doctor to see if your child is old enough to receive ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin). Adults may use acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

Aspirin should never be used at any age during an illness with fever due to the increased risk of developing Reye’s syndrome.

Your child’s doctor might also prescribe other medication to help ease the pain of a sore throat. Other remedies include eating ice pops, ice cream, or warm soup. Gargling with salt water and using a cool air humidifier can also decrease the severity and pain of a sore throat.

It’s also important that your child drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.

Your child can return to school after they’ve taken antibiotics for at least 24 hours and no longer have a fever.

There’s currently no vaccine for scarlet fever or group A strep, although many potential vaccines are in clinical development.

Preventing scarlet fever

Practicing good hygiene is the best way to prevent scarlet fever. Here are some prevention tips to follow and to teach your children:
    Wash your hands before meals and after using the restroom.
    Wash your hands anytime you cough or sneeze.
    Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing.
    Don’t share utensils and drinking glasses with others, especially in group settings.

Managing your symptoms

Scarlet fever needs to be treated with antibiotics. However, there are things you can do to help ease the symptoms and discomfort that come with scarlet fever. Here are a few remedies to try:
    Drink warm teas or broth-based soups to help soothe your throat.
    Try soft foods or a liquid diet if eating is painful.
    Take OTC acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen to ease throat pain.
    Use OTC anti-itch cream or medication to relieve itching.
    Stay hydrated with water to moisten the throat and avoid dehydration.
    Suck on throat lozenges. According to the Mayo Clinic, children older than 4 years can safely use lozenges to relieve sore throats.
    Stay away from irritants in the air, such as pollution
    Don’t smoke.
    Try a salt water gargle for throat pain.
    Humidify the air to stop throat irritation from dry air.

Not hard to figure out where this is coming from. Fools.
    But not likely to die free

It's not less dangerous today. People are healthier. Children who were malnourished had more complications and higher death rates than our well fed children of today.

I was in ITALY, with three small kids, before cell phones, before computers and the internet. Without access to libraries in English

AFTER at least three visits to the base hospital for my 3 year old (who kept getting worse) and all they did was nothing but try to reassure me that it was just kids having normal colds etc. I FINALLY DIAGNOSED MY CHILDS ILLNESS AND WENT BACK A FORTH TIME LIKE A MOTHER BEAR!!

I had Dr. Spock's Child and Baby care paperback which I read cover to cover, and in there found the symptoms of scarlet fever and went back to the clinic and TOLD THE DOCTOR "I've been here three times, now I will tell YOU what is wrong with my child, since you don't know, My child has SCARLET FEVER, DO SOMETHING, SHE NEEDS ANTIBIOTICS!" I said it loud enough so the WHOLE CLINIC heard it.

BOY, did that get us to the head of the line. And I WAS RIGHT.

She had been running high fevers, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, and while I constantly was checking on her she went from no rash to (not really a rash,) but the whole visible skin I saw her face, head, arms, TURNED EVENLY BLOOD RED! Impossible to even imagine unless you have seen it. Her hands, feet and tongue were also PEELING OFF SKIN and the area all around her lips was ghostly white.
    I saw her and panicked thinking her fever must be 108! But, when I touched her she was actually NOT FEVERISH, her very high fever had finally broken and the poison from the strep was overwhelming her.
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 12-08-2019 at 04:06 AM.
    Want a NEW LIFE, to be "born again?" Your acceptance of Jesus's death for you, by proxy, on the Cross must include your understanding, consenting/ratifying that YOU AGREE that means YOU, your will, your way died. When you do, then you become "born again", a new creation, filled with His Holy Spirit, Jesus and his eternal life will dwell within you as his temple. He died for all, but not all will RATIFY His sacrifice for them.

I would guess that the well known efficiency of the Brit socialized health system had something to do with this. Come in with the sick kid and the line is three weeks long.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

Yeah. The main thing with this is to catch it early, treat early, keep the kids isolated from each other, and keep it from spreading through the neighborhood..

Had it when I was a rugrat. One-horse-town family Doc who did house calls as much as holding office hours, but he wielded a mean penicillin syringe. Don't think the rest of our "pack" even got it, ( I was a horrible "strep" kid) but mine did wander into Rheumatic Fever. Nobody ever accused me of having the heart/valve damage though.

How badly most people understand infectious diseases...

Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.