Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH US Flu Season off to Earliest start in years
+ Reply to Thread

11 US Flu Season off to Earliest start in years

Links, photos at source....
    Posted for fair use....
    https://apnews.com/fe93a8ee8bb367874...ign=SocialFlow

US flu season arrives early, driven by an unexpected virus
    By MIKE STOBBE

FILE - In this Feb. 7, 2018 file photo, a nurse prepares a flu shot at the Salvation Army in Atlanta. The U.S. winter flu season is off to its earliest start in more than 15 years. An early barrage of illness in the South has begun to spread more broadly, and there’s a decent chance flu season could peak much earlier than normal, health officials say. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

NEW YORK (AP) — The U.S. winter flu season is off to its earliest start in more than 15 years.

An early barrage of illness in the South has begun to spread more broadly, and there’s a decent chance flu season could peak much earlier than normal, health officials say.

The last flu season to rev up this early was in 2003-2004 — a bad one. Some experts think the early start may mean a lot of suffering is in store, but others say it’s too early to tell.

“It really depends on what viruses are circulating. There’s not a predictable trend as far as if it’s early it’s going to be more severe, or later, less severe,” said Scott Epperson, who tracks flu-like illnesses for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

There are different types of flu viruses, and the one causing illnesses in most parts of the country is a surprise. It’s a version that normally doesn’t abound until March or April.

That virus generally isn’t as dangerous to older people — good news, since most flu hospitalizations and deaths each winter occur in the elderly. However, such viruses can be hard on children and people younger than 50.

Louisiana was the first state to really get hit hard, with doctors there saying they began seeing large numbers of flu-like illnesses in October.

Children’s Hospital New Orleans has already seen more flu cases this fall than it saw all of last winter, said Dr. Toni Gross, the hospital’s chief of emergency medicine. Last month was the busiest ever at the hospital’s emergency department. Officials had to set up a triage system and add extra shifts, Gross said.

“It is definitely causing symptoms that will put you in bed for a week,” including fever, vomiting and diarrhea. But the hospital has not had any deaths and is not seeing many serious complications, she said.

Health officials tend to consider a flu season to be officially underway when — for at least three weeks in a row — a significant percentage of U.S. doctor’s office visits are due to flu-like illnesses. That’s now happened, CDC officials said this week.

The agency on Friday estimated that there have already been 1.7 million flu illnesses, 16,000 hospitalizations, and 900 flu-related deaths nationally.

The most intense patient traffic had been occurring in a six states stretching from Texas to Georgia. But in new numbers released Friday, CDC officials said the number of states with intense activity rose last week to 12. Flu is widespread in 16 states, though not necessarily at intense levels in each, the CDC said.

Last flu season started off as a mild one but turned out to be the longest in 10 years. It ended with around 49,000 flu-related deaths and 590,000 hospitalizations, according to preliminary estimates.

It was bad, but not as bad as the one before it, when flu caused an estimated 61,000 deaths and 810,000 hospitalizations. Those 2017-2018 estimates are new: The CDC last month revised them down from previous estimates as more data — including actual death certificates — came in.

In both of the previous two flu seasons, the flu vaccine performed poorly against the nasty predominant virus. It’s too early to say how well the vaccine is performing right now, Epperson said.

Epperson said there’s a chance the flu season will peak this month, which would be unusually early. Flu season usually doesn’t hit fever pitch until around February.

The early start suggests a lot Americans may be sick at the same time, said Dave Osthus, a statistician who does flu forecasting at Los Alamos National Laboratory. “This could be a precursor to something pretty bad. But we don’t know,” he said.

Gross is pessimistic. “I, personally, am preparing for the worst,” she said.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Quote Originally Posted by jward View Post
    In both of the previous two flu seasons, the flu vaccine performed poorly against the nasty predominant virus.
    Hmmm
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

We had Type B in the house in August after returning from Alaska. And they were telling us then that is was fairly common.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isnít it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?Ē - Kelvin R. Throop III

So, what strain is out there now?
    Which strains are covered in the shot?

Where is the journalism?

I had to go to the local newspaper's office yesterday. The place was empty. Out of 20 people there were 3-4. I asked what happened thinking the paper was no doing well and had canned a few people. Nope! Everyone was sick and home. They had about 16 people call out for the flu.

I am staying away from people for the next few weeks.

this sounds like what ran through our house.

influenza symptoms in combination of diarrhea and vomiting.

we thought it was two different strains of illness, but this sounds like what we had. it put me and one of my kids in the hospital.
    float like a butterfly...

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    I had to go to the local newspaper's office yesterday. The place was empty. Out of 20 people there were 3-4. I asked what happened thinking the paper was no doing well and had canned a few people. Nope! Everyone was sick and home. They had about 16 people call out for the flu.

I am staying away from people for the next few weeks.
    I hear ya about staying home and away from people. The last I heard, Mississippi is being hit pretty hard, too. Thing is, though, I have a doctor's appt. Monday and Wednesday!!!! It's almost like walking into a petri dish, and we don't vaccinate.
    Sherree

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    I hear ya about staying home and away from people. The last I heard, Mississippi is being hit pretty hard, too. Thing is, though, I have a doctor's appt. Monday and Wednesday!!!! It's almost like walking into a petri dish, and we don't vaccinate.
    Well, if it is actually influenza, I still haven't seen anything work better than taking elderberry daily as a preventative... if we have to go anywhere we think could be infectious (doctor's offices at the top of the list) we take elderberry before we leave, after we get home, and then 2-3 more times in the next 12 hours.

Because it works by stopping viral replication, if you take it when you've first been exposed, it keeps the virus from multiplying, your viral load stsys low, and you don't get sick.

Our grown kids all work in areas where getting sick is taken for grsnted as part of the job (education, medical engineering). They all swear that as long as they take elderberry daily (they take it before heading to work, and if there is flu going around, again when they get home) everyone around them can be sick, and they never catch it. No flu vaccinations, either...

Summerthyme

I’ve spent the last week with a bad headcold, the second one in two months. Previous to these, I hadn’t had a bad cold in years.

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Well, if it is actually influenza, I still haven't seen anything work better than taking elderberry daily as a preventative... if we have to go anywhere we think could be infectious (doctor's offices at the top of the list) we take elderberry before we leave, after we get home, and then 2-3 more times in the next 12 hours.

Because it works by stopping viral replication, if you take it when you've first been exposed, it keeps the virus from multiplying, your viral load stsys low, and you don't get sick.

Our grown kids all work in areas where getting sick is taken for grsnted as part of the job (education, medical engineering). They all swear that as long as they take elderberry daily (they take it before heading to work, and if there is flu going around, again when they get home) everyone around them can be sick, and they never catch it. No flu vaccinations, either...

Summerthyme
    Thanks, Summerthyme. I'm all stocked up on elderberry syrup, but can only take it for a short while. Believe it or not, my immune system doesn't like it for some reason. Taking it before and after being possibly exposed to the flu, will not hurt, though.
    Sherree

Summerthyme
    Summerthyme, do you buy or make your own elderberry syrup? Is there a known quality one available to purchase? Bad ones to avoid? Thanks.

I've posted my recipe on here several times (do a search on "simpler elderberry syrup recipe" with my user name). But I have been selling it almost as fast as I can make it. $10 for 8 ounces, plus shipping. PM me if anyone is interested.

The brand I liked when it was being made by a small, American company was called "Todd's Honey Gardens" elderberry. I think they've been bought out by someone, though. Sambucol is excellent (and actually has some solid double blind studies behind it), but this is one herbal remedy which really is simple to make yoyrself.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    Thanks, Summerthyme. I'm all stocked up on elderberry syrup, but can only take it for a short while. Believe it or not, my immune system doesn't like it for some reason. Taking it before and after being possibly exposed to the flu, will not hurt, though.
    I understand. For folks with autoimmune issues, be sure you don't buy a product which contains anything except the berry juice. Elderflower is a potent immune system stimulant. I understand why an herbalist might add it to a elderberry syrup recipe, but I don't; my concern is the potential to feed or worsen a cytokine storm, such as we saw in the H1N1 strain in 2009.

Summerthyme

I understand. For folks with autoimmune issues, be sure you don't buy a product which contains anything except the berry juice. Elderflower is a potent immune system stimulant. I understand why an herbalist might add it to a elderberry syrup recipe, but I don't; my concern is the potential to feed or worsen a cytokine storm, such as we saw in the H1N1 strain in 2009.

Summerthyme
    Yes, to be sure, there are a lot of things on the market that will over stimulate a person's immune system. Everyone who has an autoimmune disorder needs to be aware of those things. I've been knocked on my butt several times with an autoimmune reaction. Something as simple as vitamin C over an extended period does it to me as well as elderberry syrup. Echinacea, as well. There are others.
    Sherree

Last year I gave some of Summerthymes elderberry juice to some of the people I worked with. They could not shake the flu but kept coming into work. After a few days they were back to normal. None of them seemed interested in learning how to make it themselves. It really does work.

The flu season here never ended last year.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Blueberries and huckleberries,& blackberries are alternatives that should work as well.
    Want a NEW LIFE, to be "born again?" Your acceptance of Jesus's death for you, by proxy, on the Cross must include your understanding, consenting/ratifying that YOU AGREE that means YOU, your will, your way died. When you do, then you become "born again", a new creation, filled with His Holy Spirit, Jesus and his eternal life will dwell within you as his temple. He died for all, but not all will RATIFY His sacrifice for them.