Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

VIDEO ( Ten Minutes ) Meet the three 6.8mm bids competing to win U.S. Military Contract
+ Reply to Thread

( Ten Minutes ) Meet the three 6.8mm bids competing to win U.S. Military Contract

Chris Capelluto former Army Infantryman Iraq War veteran gives the rundown. These three companies are bidding to replace the M-16, M-249 SAW and the M-240 bravo with a Next Generation Squad Weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTtKblRY1qs
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

if your changing just to be a change, dont do it,

Well worth 10 minutes to get more insight into a very complex decision process.

I don't know how different the .mil 6.8 will be from the existing commercial 6.8, and any preference I might develop would depend on the level of improvement in the ballistic performance of the new .mil 6.8 over the existing 5.56.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out ...
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    if your changing just to be a change, dont do it,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Well worth 10 minutes to get more insight into a very complex decision process.

I don't know how different the .mil 6.8 will be from the existing commercial 6.8, and any preference I might develop would depend on the level of improvement in the ballistic performance of the new .mil 6.8 over the existing 5.56.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out ...
    Push comes from M855 not being able to get through OPFOR body armor (regardless of the barrel lengths and distances involved) plus the issues of "reach" from places like Afghanistan as well as looking to make things lighter, more lethal and user friendly. They're playing with projectile design as well as cartridges and platforms. See my posts over in the firearms section...HC

They are shifting to the M855A1 at this point, which is but one more step in a well established path and not a "great leap forward." How good is the 855A1? I don't know, it seems to be close hold at this point still and none has gotten out into the wild that I know of.

I do know that I am not a lot impressed with M855 … the various OTM (open tip match) bullet loads with heavier bullets seem to be working well enough to keep the troops happy.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

They are shifting to the M855A1 at this point, which is but one more step in a well established path and not a "great leap forward." How good is the 855A1? I don't know, it seems to be close hold at this point still and none has gotten out into the wild that I know of.

I do know that I am not a lot impressed with M855 … the various OTM (open tip match) bullet loads with heavier bullets seem to be working well enough to keep the troops happy.
    Out of all the models shown in the video, as much as I think Sig Sauer's are overhyped and over priced, that was the only platform that made sense to me. Plastic and/or polymer ammunition casing sounds like nothing but a money dump. So many things could go wrong with that...
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

The guys over at InRangeTV got ahold of some and they weren't impressed by it out of either a 16 or 20 inch barrel....

I tend to be a "heavier bullet is better if it goes fast enough" sort of person, and the 6.8 is a bigger (caliber) and heavier bullet. Those are in general good things IMO. I got a 6.8 commercial upper early along and played with it some, but overall the 5.56 could do enough of what I wanted done to suit me at the time.

Wat back in the late 1970s/early 1980s I was running with a crowd that included one Tom Wilkinson, an old Vietnam era Special Forces NCO who had been at it long enough to have a legal bringback AK-47. It happened he was a running buddy o Robert K. Brown, who edited a certain mercenary oriented magazine at the time.

In those days people were playing around with the 5.56 some, and one of the experiments involved necking the 5.56 up to 6mm. (6X45, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6◊45mm) Robert K had a barrel made up in 6X45 and installed in on an AR. It was interesting and useful but never caught on commercially. I had a chance to buy the rifle while I was living in Montgomery, AL but turned it down as I didn't really want to have to handload every round for a semiauto rifle.

Wildcats go commercial a lot faster these days. I like the idea (for me) of an AR in a heavier caliber but so far the only one I have really gone after is the .300BLK. And that mostly because AR pistols got to be a thing. I still have a 5.56 upper (10.5" barrel) for my AR pistol too, in case ammo gets to be an issue.

Things change fast these days and it takes a lot of adaptability and a good bit of FRN$ if you want to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    Out of all the models shown in the video, as much as I think Sig Sauer's are overhyped and over priced, that was the only platform that made sense to me. Plastic and/or polymer ammunition casing sounds like nothing but a money dump. So many things could go wrong with that...
    Remember HK's G11 and caseless ammo ,

Probably the least risk/evolutionary move would be an AR-10/M110 based and sized weapon with the conventional cased version of the cartridge the Army Marksmanship Unit came up with. Ballistics wise from the numbers I have seen, and I've noted before, you're looking at effectively a product improved .276 Pedersen. Which when it was briefly administratively adopted gave us a 10 round M-1 Garand back in the early 1930s. I guess physics wins out...

ETA:

The .276 Garand That Almost Was, the T3E2
    Posted April 3, 2016
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-was-the-t3e2/
    Last edited by Housecarl; Yesterday at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added "based and"

snip

Things change fast these days and it takes a lot of adaptability and a good bit of FRN$ if you want to keep up.
    You can say that again.
    Matthew 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

physics wins out

In my experience, it's usually military bureaucracy that wins out. But inertia is physics too, so ...

Video has been pulled.