Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ADMIN RULES FOR POSTING ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE THREADS
+ Reply to Thread

RULES FOR POSTING ECONOMIC APOCALYPSE THREADS

Certain topics will ALWAYS REQUIRE a disclaimer unless the post is the member’s original material. These topics INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO (I had to use that bit to head off the street-corner lawyers on this thread):

National or global financial apocalypse

National or global destruction of currency value/hyperinflation

National or global price surges in oil or commodities which are orders of magnitude above what they are today

Recommendations to buy PMs

Each of these topics (I’ll add more if I think of any) REQUIRE a disclaimer as follows (or substantially similar to, again for you street-corner lawyers):

The author of this essay [is/is not] associated with the buying and/or selling of precious metals.

The website hosting this essay [is/is not] involved with precious metals investing.

These statements MUST BE AT THE VERY TOP OF THE ESSAY, and prominent. Further, the text body must be at least 2 lines of whitespace below the disclaimer. Any *modest* embellishment of the text is okay; making it bold/red/size 7 etc (or substantially similar) is NOT.

I do apologize for being so anal about this, but it’s very important that any “underlying motivation” to post financial disaster essays be clearly known. That’s called “full disclosure” for those street-corner lawyers who might not understand. Feel free to look that term up if necessary.

I had thought that a polite request would have been adequate. But naturally, there are some who try to skirt the rules or ignore them altogether. Posts without the disclaimer will be deleted and the member infracted.

THIS RULE WILL BE APPLIED TO *EVERYBODY*

One more thing: most all of you know why I’m requiring this disclaimer on these topics. We’ve had this discussion multiple times.

You might want to sticky this so it can be found easily. I know I'm probably going to forget the exact verbiage that you want.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Great rule.

I'm tired of reading some long, doomy article about the economy just to see someone is trying to get you to invest in - whatever.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

Dennis, you could have made this more simple.
    Just say "NO WATER FOR YOU!!!"*

*Famous line from Ben Hur.

It is difficult when you take an article from a news aggregate site like zerohedge or spinquark to know whether the original author is associated with pm. Guess it's better not to post any economic projections at all.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Perhaps you should re-read the OP. “Economic projections” aren’t what I’m talking about. Here,let me repost it here for you. I’ll use a bigger font to make it easier to read. Thread content that requires a disclaimer:

National or global price surges in oil or commodities which are orders of magnitude above what they are today

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Or, you can stomp off in a snit (which looks like your intent.)

Should the first line have at least 3 emojis?
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

I certainly have no problem with this rule (unless I forget).
    And any article that is questionable could always include the disclaimer just in case and it would hurt nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Should the first line have at least 3 emojis?
    I kinda reserve those for, well, you know. That power thing....

THANK! YOU!

I am SO tired of slagging through some mile-long article, wondering what the credentials were behind the one writing it, only to find it's another "BUY THIS MAGIC PILL FROM ME THAT WILL SAVE YOU FROM DISASTER" article.

Again, THANK you.
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    THANK! YOU!

I am SO tired of slagging through some mile-long article, wondering what the credentials were behind the one writing it, only to find it's another "BUY THIS MAGIC PILL FROM ME THAT WILL SAVE YOU FROM DISASTER" article.
    No different from many of the alternative medicine/anti-Big Pharma articles that get offered around here. Just sayin....

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Get your FREE copy of the 3rd edition here:NNPG Download Site

Reddit AustereMedicine/

Great decision, Dennis.

Legitimate doom is an opportunity to report, reveal and educate the reader. It is not an excuse to make a sales pitch.

Be it pills or PM's your newly announced rules are appropriate and very worthwhile.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

Sometimes I think it needs to be spelled out to the people posting the article that 'they are selling gold.'

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sunday View Post
    Great decision, Dennis.

Legitimate doom is an opportunity to report, reveal and educate the reader. It is not an excuse to make a sales pitch.

Be it pills or PM's your newly announced rules are appropriate and very worthwhile.
    The problem is is that the public expects the news to be free. So then how does the news get reported if no one is going to pay for it. Thus the need to either sell something as part of your article or have a reputation so good that you can have a pay-for-news site like the WSJ. Thus the large number of gold selling sites creating economic issue news. It doesn't mean there are wrong it just means they are a little bias in the direction of their reports.

A lot of the sites reporting economic news are reports from the same guys reporting the same economic doom they have been preaching on for the last 20 years. As an example Jim Grant has been short the markets my entire adult life. So if I see an article either by him or about him I do not really need to read any further as I know a market downturn is expected. By him at least. The same with these other doom guys. I will say that these guys were correct in 2008 when we used to get deathburger posts on this site every day. Like the broken clock they were right then and they will again be right in the future but they will be wrong every where inbetween

Zerohedge and SeekingAlpha used to be good financial news sites until both were sold by their original owners and became more revenue driven. Meaning the need for clicks. Thats not to say that there is not some truth to what is in the articles just that most of the articles have a huge layer of entertainment wrapped into the reporting.

Similarly a lot of the health related articles which should also be required to have similar disclaimers, Dennis. As an example if its from Natural News you know there is a slant to the article and they are trying to sell you something

So again there is some truth to what is in the articles. Just remember that most of the articles have a huge layer of entertainment wrapped into the reporting so as to drive clicks and revenue to the original site.

tbd

Quote Originally Posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post
    No different from many of the alternative medicine/anti-Big Pharma articles that get offered around here. Just sayin....

RR
    True Dat!

I understand the reason for this thread. Never had a problem with house rules. A disclaimer for PRO police slant or Anti police slant might help some members save a little time.

Wheat versus Chaff are requirements in All adult daily living activities.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

It never ceases to amaze me how many here employ “selective reading comprehension.” twobarkingdogs’ post 15 and marsh’s “snit” post #6 are perfect examples. Both of them conflate this:

with “economic projections” (to quote marsh). Now, whether this selective reading comprehension is to facilitate them being pissed off or just laziness, doesn’t matter. The point is that I object to the FEAR MONGERING that’s being posted here as ECONOMIC NEWS. I’m requiring the disclaimers now to force some intellectual honesty from the members posting these economic stories. I think the members posting them know that these “economic Armageddon” essays are bullsh*t but post them anyway. That, to me, is beyond the pale. The disclaimers will let people know that the author and/or website has a vested interest in that type of essay.

I’m betting that by forcing these disclaimers, the people posting these “BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!!” stories will stop posting them, because their intent by posting was to scare people rather than inform.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how many here employ “selective reading comprehension.” twobarkingdogs’ post 15 and marsh’s “snit” post #6 are perfect examples. Both of them conflate this:

with “economic projections” (to quote marsh). Now, whether this selective reading comprehension is to facilitate them being pissed off or just laziness, doesn’t matter. The point is that I object to the FEAR MONGERING that’s being posted here as ECONOMIC NEWS. I’m requiring the disclaimers now to force some intellectual honesty from the members posting these economic stories. I think the members posting them know that these “economic Armageddon” essays are bullsh*t but post them anyway. That, to me, is beyond the pale. The disclaimers will let people know that the author and/or website has a vested interest in that type of essay.

I’m betting that by forcing these disclaimers, the people posting these “BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!!” stories will stop posting them, because their intent by posting was to scare people rather than inform.
    Yes I selectively read and I understood as a take a way that someone predicting a 50% market drop like Jim Grant does as fitting in one of these categories. I was guessing 'National or global financial apocalypse'. Or is a 50% market drop not a National or global financial apocalypse. Personally I do not believe it is. And I try to not post articles where that is the theme. But you can have articles which meet these categories which could be factual like a prediction on rapidly rising oil prices. The WSJ posts them occasionally when a major event occurs like the bombing and other attacks on the SA oil infrastructure which occurred a couple of months ago. I consider them opinion articles and not necessary news articles. But they are very well thought out opinions which are meant to inform. I do not disagree with the new rules and think the source of the articles should be better covered in the post. And I also think that similar rules should be considered for other tpoics like health news also

tbd

Dennis wrote: "If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Or, you can stomp off in a snit (which looks like your intent.)"

OK, brother. No "snit" here, but just a couple of questions:

Why is this directed purely at PM sellers? Shouldn't threads or posts related to potential nuclear war have a disclaimer that the author doesn't sell radiation detection devices or fallout survival books? Should threads on GMOs or other food hazards have a disclaimer that the author doesn't sell food products or information? Wouldn't you want anyone who posts firearms laws articles to offer a disclaimer that they don't sell or modify guns? Shouldn't threads on medical hazards contain a disclaimer that the poster doesn't sell alternative medicine devices or information? The list could go on endlessly.

Hey, I'm not looking to start a pissing match here or even argue; I'm just looking for logical consistency and wondering why the PM sector is being singled out.

Best regards
    Doc

If you look at what I actually wrote, you’ll see that the common factor is global financial disaster. Over and over again. And if I might add, IT’S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT MONTH!!!!! None of the topics you detail above has the TOTAL GLOBAL DISASTER theme (with the exception of nuclear war.) But most of the nuclear war folks these days talk about the hideous EEEEEE EMMMMMM PEEEEEEEEEE!!!

This requirement is to mitigate the outright fear mongering that these essays promulgate. I personally consider these essays egregiously blatant in terms of trying to instill fear. We saw a lot of that in the y2k horror stories leading up to rollover. The goal here is to not become a platform for arm-waving, hair-on-fire hysteria. If people need that kind of thing for entertainment, they can surf over to GLP or ATS. That’s their collective specialty.

Now, all this being said, if others think that posts on other topics need a disclaimer, I’m willing to listen. But be warned, the scale of the “disasters” needs to be similar to that of these econ/pm essays.

Going along with what Doc said - So should threads like these require a disclaimer as they appear to be global doom in nature. And yes these threads are several years old but they were the 1'st ones on the result list when I searched for ebola.

Asking for a friend

tbd

Suspected Hong Kong Ebola Case Sparks Global Outbreak Fears

Ebola outbreak may already be uncontrollable;

Ebola fears infect 'medical conference- DON'T COME if 21 days not up since Ebola exposure!

Will ISIS try to Ebola contaminate (untested for Ebola)donated blood supply with EVD?

Ebola Zombies? Untested Ebola/Rabies Vaccine To Be Unleashed On The Public!?

I don’t know. Do the various authors or hosting websites have a vested interest in selling an Ebola cure? Because that would be the deciding criterion.

Don’t be an ass tbd.

Quote Originally Posted by twobarkingdogs View Post
    The problem is is that the public expects the news to be free. So then how does the news get reported if no one is going to pay for it. Thus the need to either sell something as part of your article or have a reputation so good that you can have a pay-for-news site like the WSJ. Thus the large number of gold selling sites creating economic issue news. It doesn't mean there are wrong it just means they are a little bias in the direction of their reports.

A lot of the sites reporting economic news are reports from the same guys reporting the same economic doom they have been preaching on for the last 20 years. As an example Jim Grant has been short the markets my entire adult life. So if I see an article either by him or about him I do not really need to read any further as I know a market downturn is expected. By him at least. The same with these other doom guys. I will say that these guys were correct in 2008 when we used to get deathburger posts on this site every day. Like the broken clock they were right then and they will again be right in the future but they will be wrong every where inbetween

Zerohedge and SeekingAlpha used to be good financial news sites until both were sold by their original owners and became more revenue driven. Meaning the need for clicks. Thats not to say that there is not some truth to what is in the articles just that most of the articles have a huge layer of entertainment wrapped into the reporting.

Similarly a lot of the health related articles which should also be required to have similar disclaimers, Dennis. As an example if its from Natural News you know there is a slant to the article and they are trying to sell you something

So again there is some truth to what is in the articles. Just remember that most of the articles have a huge layer of entertainment wrapped into the reporting so as to drive clicks and revenue to the original site.

tbd
    It's that "some truths" that is the problem. It's like fox or MSNBC selling emotion instead of news. People don't see it and they don't understand how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    I don’t know. Do the various authors or hosting websites have a vested interest in selling an Ebola cure? Because that would be the deciding criterion.

Don’t be an ass tbd.
    Sorry don't mean to be an ass. For the last 20 years I was well paid to do 2 things, shoot down other peoples ideas and suggestions so that more thought could be put into their proposals and also to come up with simple, cheap and quick solutions to complex needs. This mindset is a hard habit to break.

IMO there should not be any qualifiers on post as you are suggesting. We are all adults and should be smart enough, hopefully, to see and understand a slanted article and not act upon it. A slanted article is a slanted article no matter the subject thus my pointing the global doom ebola posts

From a financial post standpoint I believe I an the biggest poster against the sky is falling economic model which sometimes gets pushed. I didn't believe it when deathburgers were pushed in 2008 and I don't believe it today. I do not believe you should take all of your money out of the system and hide it under your bed or buy gold with it. I also do not believe I even post any articles which would meet your criteria and thus I shouldn't be impacted.

If anything is going to bring down things it is social differences and the spreading of hate by one group against another. Yes from an economic standpoint to many people are working sub-standard jobs. But some of that is self inflected due to having a college degree which is a little less desired by society in general. I also believe the loss of manufacturing jobs in the US has destroyed the middle class by removing a safety valve for which younger folks could go into straight from high school and in a few years make it to the level of middle class. Also there are large numbers of adult males in the s.america, the mid-east and africa which have no ability to improve their lots in life. And thus those areas are breeding grounds for global strife. Once these types of articles hit the news in a few years in a bigger way they won't be from a site selling solutions but they will be pushing something

So again IMO there should not be any qualifiers on any post as you are suggesting.

tbd

Quote Originally Posted by twobarkingdogs View Post
    Sorry don't mean to be an ass. For the last 20 years I was well paid to do 2 things, shoot down other peoples ideas and suggestions so that more thought could be put into their proposals and also to come up with simple, cheap and quick solutions to complex needs. This mindset is a hard habit to break.

IMO there should not be any qualifiers on post as you are suggesting. We are all adults and should be smart enough, hopefully, to see and understand a slanted article and not act upon it. A slanted article is a slanted article no matter the subject thus my pointing the global doom ebola posts

From a financial post standpoint I believe I an the biggest poster against the sky is falling economic model which sometimes gets pushed. I didn't believe it when deathburgers were pushed in 2008 and I don't believe it today. I do not believe you should take all of your money out of the system and hide it under your bed or buy gold with it. I also do not believe I even post any articles which would meet your criteria and thus I shouldn't be impacted.

If anything is going to bring down things it is social differences and the spreading of hate by one group against another. Yes from an economic standpoint to many people are working sub-standard jobs. But some of that is self inflected due to having a college degree which is a little less desired by society in general. I also believe the loss of manufacturing jobs in the US has destroyed the middle class by removing a safety valve for which younger folks could go into straight from high school and in a few years make it to the level of middle class. Also there are large numbers of adult males in the s.america, the mid-east and africa which have no ability to improve their lots in life. And thus those areas are breeding grounds for global strife. Once these types of articles hit the news in a few years in a bigger way they won't be from a site selling solutions but they will be pushing something

So again IMO there should not be any qualifiers on any post as you are suggesting.

tbd
    Well said tbd.
    Sow the Wind....Reap the Whirlwind