Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Cordless Vacuum?
+ Reply to Thread

Cordless Vacuum?

Hi all! I'm searching online today for a cordless vacuum (Cyber Monday). Yesterday I read reviews and looked at different models. I have a dog that sheds ALOT. I need one that picks up alot of dog hair on bare floors but also on a shag carpet area rug. A problem I do see after looking at different models (specifically Dyson), is that I need a docking station to hang on the wall. We have a small older home with not many plug ins or storage and definitely no plug ins in a closet so it would be wall art here lol. I would really like opinions from anyone here that owns one already. How do you like it? Does the battery last awhile?
    Thanks!
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

Quote Originally Posted by straightstreet View Post
    Hi all! I'm searching online today for a cordless vacuum (Cyber Monday). Yesterday I read reviews and looked at different models. I have a dog that sheds ALOT. I need one that picks up alot of dog hair on bare floors but also on a shag carpet area rug. A problem I do see after looking at different models (specifically Dyson), is that I need a docking station to hang on the wall. We have a small older home with not many plug ins or storage and definitely no plug ins in a closet so it would be wall art here lol. I would really like opinions from anyone here that owns one already. How do you like it? Does the battery last awhile?
    Thanks!
    I have the same problem with dog hair. Ceramic tile floors, and I have a Dyson. Yes, it needs a docking/recharging station. Mine is in a broom closet with a plug in. The Dyson works great for me, plenty of strong suction, and the battery lasts long enough to do almost my whole house. I don't have any carpet or area rugs, so I don't know how well it would work for those.
    Sherree

Let me save you some money. First, Dysons cost double (or more) what they’re worth. A Shark is a MUCH better value. Second, there’s not one cordless vac that has any balls. Not one.

I bought a Hoover Air Cordless Lift vacuum last year... it was a great deal at $150, and came with a small hand vac as well as an extra lithium battery. Hubby *loves* the thing... it picks up dog hair, etc very thoroughly, but what he really likes (due to his damaged vision) is the light on the front!

No docking station... you just remove the battery and put it into a charger, just like any other cordless tools.

We have all hardwood or tile floors, so I suppose it might "lack balls" to vacuum deep pile carpet... but it handles cleaning the area rug we have in front of the fireplace, even after multiple grandchildren and pets have trashed it.

Honestly, it was one of the best purchases we've made... Absolutely love not having to drag a cord around, move the plug from outlet to outlet, etc. The handheld vac is wonderful for stairs (or the car)...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Let me save you some money. First, Dysons cost double (or more) what they’re worth. A Shark is a MUCH better value. Second, there’s not one cordless vac that has any balls. Not one.
    You can say that again.

I bought myself a cheap (89.00) Bissel with an extra long retractable cord and I love it. Especially hitting the black lever and having the cord retract. Plenty of power, and yeah, the unit has a special notch at the top where you can loop the cord so it stays out of your way while you are cleaning. I have a collie and a sheltie so I vacuum daily.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

“During the course of your life you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up!”

- President Donald J. Trump

The reviews say several Shark models are way better than Dyson right now. THe cordless feature is neato but you sacrifice a lot of horsepower and you have limited time to use it. But don't take my work for it. Look at the online video reviews at Vacuum Wars. . https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCva...Td4wLwi9yKCtew

Cordless vacs are meant for quick touch-ups. They just don't have the power for real cleaning.

Daughter got the Shark. Loves it! I was a Dyson fan before I bought my shark. Shark is more nimble and breaks down faster for cleaning. If they keep their quality up I will buy Shark Again. I honestly believe it cleans better than the Dyson too.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

Quote Originally Posted by FireDance View Post
    Daughter got the Shark. Loves it! I was a Dyson fan before I bought my shark. Shark is more nimble and breaks down faster for cleaning. If they keep their quality up I will buy Shark Again. I honestly believe it cleans better than the Dyson too.
    I've never owned a Shark, so I have nothing to compare my Dyson to. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I may look into buying a Shark, instead, when my Dyson wears out. I've had it for several years.
    Sherree

Quote Originally Posted by FireDance View Post
    Before I bought my Shark, I read a bunch of information that Consumer Reports had published on vacuum comparisons. The Dysons, at almost universally over $500, were rated “Average”, while the Sharks, from $125-$200, were rated “Outstanding.” Problem solved. I find it fascinating that so many buy a vac on “name recognition” and no research. Shark is clearly superior, and has been for years

I have to admit I have three Dysons and I love every one of them!! You cannot beat Dyson for suction! I've used a lot of vacuums and will never buy anything else.

Now to the cordless question. I have owned three Dyson cordless hand vacs and one Hoover cordless fast vac. None of them lasted very long! They had great suction
    but the batteries just don't hold up. I will never buy another cordless even though I want one badly!! The batteries are junk at this time.

You cannot beat Dyson for suction!

Actually you can. Easily. I suggest you read the CR articles on vacs. You won’t like what you read though.

Thank you all for your replies! I'm looking at Shark brand. I do like the Hoover model Summerthyme replied with also.
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

I have had Shark for years but I just got a Li-On Shark, which actually bounces on very short rugs. It is annoying as the unit seems to be too light and the bristles too long to get traction to pick up anything and raise the pile (this is a really short pile).

Had an old push-type Bissell just for the rugs in the bedrooms and it worked better as a manual than this Shark with high power battery.

The Shark is fine for hard floors. Also the Shark hand-vac works well and holds the charge for quite a while.

Fortunately I still have my 30 year old Sears Canister for a good cleanup......that thing "sucks" in a good way.
    True North Strong and Free

Quote Originally Posted by Laurane View Post
    I have had Shark for years but I just got a Li-On Shark, which actually bounces on very short rugs. It is annoying as the unit seems to be too light and the bristles too long to get traction to pick up anything and raise the pile (this is a really short pile).

Had an old push-type Bissell just for the rugs in the bedrooms and it worked better as a manual than this Shark with high power battery.

The Shark is fine for hard floors. Also the Shark hand-vac works well and holds the charge for quite a while.

Fortunately I still have my 30 year old Sears Canister for a good cleanup......that thing "sucks" in a good way.
    I plan on keeping our plug in vacuum. I just need something for the daily dog hair that seems to multiply in our house. Just a quick pick up is what I need without lugging out the corded vacuum. I read my original post again and I neglected to add that part.

The one thing about vacuums with beater bars (and they don't work worth a damn if they don't have one) is how badly they can clog up with dog hair... at least, with long haired, double coated breeds like ours (and Dennis', except for Hairy). It's not insurmountable... but you do end up cutting or pulling hair out of the beater brushes regularly.

There is a brand currently advertising "self cleaning" beater brushes that are *supposed* to solve the pet hair clog problem. I can't remember which brand, unfortunately! When the dogs are blowing their coats, I usually sweep up first, (dumping half a bushel of dog hair onto the compost heap), then vacuum to get all the dirt and small stuff out of crevices and corners. It's a PITA, but the price you pay for having house dogs.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by straightstreet View Post
    I plan on keeping our plug in vacuum. I just need something for the daily dog hair that seems to multiply in our house. Just a quick pick up is what I need without lugging out the corded vacuum. I read my original post again and I neglected to add that part.
    I forgot to add on my other post. My daughter in law wanted a hand vac to clean her car with. I researched for three hours last night before finding one I feel is the best of the options. They all had tons of bad reviews but this one the least. I made sure to be a corded one though because of all the bad luck I've had with cordless ones. This one I feel is the best of all the hand vacs

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...firm_allpromos

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    You cannot beat Dyson for suction!

Actually you can. Easily. I suggest you read the CR articles on vacs. You won’t like what you read though.

Dennis I am sure the newer Dysons are not as good as they used to be. I have older Dysons. But I do have a shark smaller vacuum that I use too and it doesn't even compare to how well my Dysons do. I am just going by my experience. I have owned a lot of good vacuums but I still love my Dysons best. Oh my goodness you have to pay to view Consumer Reports??

Yes you do. I periodically pay for year if I need to research something. You must not know about them (shocking since theyve been around for decades.) They accept no advertising AT ALL and make their revenue entirely by customer subscription..

Quote Originally Posted by brokenwings View Post
    Dennis I am sure the newer Dysons are not as good as they used to be. I have older Dysons. But I do have a shark smaller vacuum that I use too and it doesn't even compare to how well my Dysons do. I am just going by my experience. I have owned a lot of good vacuums but I still love my Dysons best. Oh my goodness you have to pay to view Consumer Reports??
    Most public libraries subscribe, so, not necessarily.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

“During the course of your life you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up!”

- President Donald J. Trump

Here's two cents about corded vacuums. I see more dyson vacuums (all models old to new) versus shark vacuums in the thrift stores. All the dyson vacs are from pet owners. I've seen one shark vac vs at least 10 dyson In the past year.

It's a real pain trying to do this on a phone, so it might be a bit choppy.

For your consideration - I ended up buying a Ryobi cordless stick vacuum with a powered brush head because it was a way better deal than Dyson. All the Ryobi stem type 18V batteries fit it. Home Depot currently has these on sale with one 4 AH battery for $179 plus tax which is $50 off their regular price. The vac will convert to several configurations depending on your wants.... Has pretty good suction although not really made for heavy debris - leaves get caught in the flap from tube to collector. The switch has two speeds. Good Luck in your search.

I bought a Bissell brand cordless vacuum with detachable hand held vacuum with 2 attachments. I bought it local in case I didn't like it so I could take it back. I've already used it today and it did exactly what I needed it to do. I thank everyone for your advice and replies!