Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

DISASTER The Australian bush fires flare up yet again
+ Reply to Thread

20 The Australian bush fires flare up yet again

Update 2nd December 2019 - 12 noon ESTime

I had hoped CC would be able to pick up on the fires as he is in NSW, but understandably he probably needs a good rest after facing the grim reaper!

The fires are again enormous and are heading into the Blue Mountains - see below link.

Link: https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...fb6185d3845f31

sb
    Scarletbreasted

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for all in the affected area ...
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Continued prayers for you all. My nephew's down in Tasmania, and frankly facts don't matter, no matter how he explains he's safe, I can't seem to help but worry.

I can't imagine the extra magnitude you all feel when it's your own home and countrymen and countryside being thus ravaged : (
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

90km/h wind gusts fan 129 bushfires burning across NSW
    Mitchell Van Homrigh and Campbell Gellie, The Daily Telegraph
    December 2, 2019 5:46pm

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d305e79670692d

There has been an increase in “structural damage” caused by bushfires in the last 24 hours as gusts of wind whip up more than 125 fires across the state and leave thousands without power.

The Bureau of Meteorology released a damaging wind warning for the Southern Tablelands, Central Tablelands, Hunter, Northern Tablelands, Mid North Coast and Illawarra districts early on Tuesday with winds expected to hit 90km/h.

Around 2,400 homes and businesses were without power across the Hornsby, Asquith and Mt Colah for much of the afternoon before power was restored just before 6pm. There are still 900 buildings without power on the Northern Beaches due to outages last week.

Stronger winds, with gusts up to 90km/hour, fed 129 fires burning across NSW but luckily they did not spread the blazes far.

“We have only seen a little bit of movement from the fires, which has been fortunate, across the fireground. The most movement has been on the fires burning near the South Coast,” an RFS spokesman said.

“In the past 24 hours, we have seen more structural loss. The majority of this appears to have happened on the South Coast. It is still too dangerous to send the building impact inspectors in.

As winds pick up we're seeing damaged trees coming down on powerlines causing new outages. Crews have isolated this powerline damaged by a falling tree on Dumaresq Street in Gordon this afternoon. Stay at least 8metres away from fallen wires and call us on 131388.

View image on Twitter

“We need to figure out what has been destroyed, whether it is homes or outhouses, and we have only been able to get information from the aerial cameras.”

The RFS would not confirm the number of structures, believed to be damaged, or whether they were homes as it was “too early to say”.

Two million hectares of country has been burnt since July with more than 7000 fires raging across the state in the “most challenging bushfire season ever”.

Six people have died while 673 homes and 1400 other buildings have been destroyed.

The Bureau of Meteorology expects winds to drop off but conditions will still remain dangerous.

“The wind is dropping on Monday evening and will be around 15km to 25km in Sydney around sunrise on Tuesday,” BoM forecaster Schuang Wang said.

“They will remain as a westerly but temperatures will increase across the state on Wednesday and Thursday to around 28C or even 30C in some parts.”

Thousands of homes have been left without power as the strong winds compound woes for Ausgrid.

Technicians are still in the midst of repairing lines that impacted 52,000 homes last week when “cyclone-like” conditions hit.

“We have emergency crews out there working to restore the power this afternoon. The damage is not on par with last week but we are seeing trees that were damaged last week come down,” an Ausgrid spokesman said.

“We’re reminding people to stay clear of fallen trees and if you do see wires stay 8m back and call us on 13 13 88.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...d305e79670692d

Major Fire Updates
    During times of major incident activity, such as during bush and grass fires where there is a threat to the community, updates are posted here.

Outside of these periods, check our Fires Near Me page for information on incidents in your area. For information on planned hazard reduction activities, check our Hazard Reductions page.

If you see a fire without a fire truck in attendance, please call Triple Zero (000).

Remember - every home should have a bush fire survival plan. Download yours today.

Watch and Act - Ruined Castle fire (Blue Mountains LGA) 02/12/2019 18:12
    A bush fire is burning to the south of the Katoomba and Leura area. The fire has burnt more than 600 hectares is being controlled.

Advice - North Black Range, Palerang (Queanbeyan-Palerang LGA) 02/12/2019 18:06
    The bush fire is burning through the Tallaganda National Park, and the Bombay and Braidwood areas. The fire is over 20,000 hectares in size and is being controlled.

Watch and Act - Little L Complex, Yengo National Park (Singleton LGA) 02/12/2019 18:26
    There are multiple bush fires burning in the Yengo National Park area. The fire is more than 8,900 hectares in size and is out of control.

EMERGENCY WARNING - Currowan Fire (Shoalhaven LGA) 02/12/2019 18:55
    An emergency warning is in place for the Currowan Fire, burning north of Batemans Bay. The fire has burnt more than 16,000 hectares and is not yet under control.

Smoke Advisory - NSW bush fires 02/12/2019 19:14
    Smoke from bush fires is affecting large areas of NSW.

Harvest Safety Alert 02/12/2019 19:13
    A Harvest Safety Alert has been issued for the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area due to current weather conditions.

Watch and Act - Green Wattle Creek and The Peaks fires, Lake Burragorang area (Wollondilly LGA) 02/12/2019 17:14
    There is a number of fires burning in the area around Lake Burragorang. These fires are out of control and spreading in an easterly direction.

Advice - Myall Creek Road fire (Richmond Valley and Clarence Valley LGA) 02/12/2019 15:11
    A bush fire is burning in the Mount Marsh, Tullymorgan, Mororo Road, Ashby Heights, Woombah and New Italy areas. The fire is more than 113,700 hectares in size and is out of control.

Advice - Gospers Mountain (Lithgow and Hawkesbury LGA) 02/12/2019 08:19
    A bush fire is burning in the Wollemi National Park area. The fire is approximately 200,000 hectares in size and is being controlled.

Advice - Carrai East (Kempsey LGA) 02/12/2019 05:21
    A bush fire is burning in Carrai East, north west of Kempsey. The fire is more than 120,865 hectares in size and is being controlled.

Advice - Washpool State Forest, Coombadjha (Clarence Valley LGA) 02/12/2019 08:24
    A bush fire is burning in the Washpool and Billilimbra State Forests. The fire is more than 98,000 hectares in size and is being controlled.

Advice - Crumps Rd, Cedar Creek (Cessnock LGA) 02/12/2019 09:00
    The fire is burning in the Corrabare State Forest, east of Wollombi. The fire is more than 600 hectares and is out of control.

Advice - Meads Creek West fire (Upper Hunter) 02/12/2019 11:04
    A fast moving bush fire is burning in the Goulburn River National Park, south-west of Merriwa. The fire has burnt more than 6,700 hectares and is not yet controlled.

Advice - Three Mile (Hawkesbury LGA) 02/12/2019 09:02
    A bush fire is burning to the north east of Wisemans Ferry. The fire is more than 735 hectares in size and is being controlled.

Advice - Carrai Creek (Armidale LGA) 02/12/2019 05:20
    The Carrai Creek bush fire is burning across a large area including the Oxley Wild Rivers area and Yarrowitch. The fire is more than 229,515 hectares in size and is being controlled.

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-info...r-fire-updates

It is impossible to give the feel to what is happening here. Yes I live in N.S.W. the main state for Agriculture and business and industry. However all states are in drought.

Driving about where I live everywhere is burnt out. I live in what is normally a good rainfall area. However now it is bone dry and about 80% of the land mass has had fire through it in the last month or so.

Many have lost everything to the fires that they owned. Not many had good insurance.

Now it is level four water control. This means no water is available for one's garden. No outdoor water taps can be used etc.

Welcome back into action CC - place hasn't been the same without you - over to you now! 8-)
    sb
    Scarletbreasted

They are saying that food prices on meat and vegetables are up 5% to 10% so far. Meat prices are not really being affected yet as many farmers are getting rid of stock as they see no chance of keeping the food up to their stock. Give it another 6 months and prices will be way up. Double triple at least.

Vegetable prices are all over the place. Nothing is cheep just about.

China Connection, just curious, so that we can read your posts accurately, do you have an Australian accent? While I'm from Alabama I really don't have a traditional Southern accent but I do use colloquial English to my region.

I traveled to Australia and New Zealand in the 80's and really enjoyed it. While I liked New Zealand's country side better, I found the Australian's a much friendlier folk much like the difference between the Irish and Scot's, Irish being the friendlier.
    Last edited by naegling62; 12-02-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds!

Having taught English in places like South Korea and China for for about 17 years I am fairly neutral in my English usage. I try to keep colloquial English out of my posts.

Colloquial Australian would sure mess up some Chinese English.
    Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds!

Two million hectares of country has been burnt since July with more than 7000 fires raging across the state in the “most challenging bushfire season ever”.

That more than 7700 square miles.

(New Jersey is 8700 sq. mi.)
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Great to read your posts CC! Still praying for everyone.

Yep, Millwright distances are big for these burn out areas. I can go roughly a 30 minute drive in any direction from where I live at 80 to 100 k an hour and see 80% burn out.

It has to happen as things are just so dry with no burn outs have being done for a very long time. The Australian Black Fellow was mush more sensible than the current White Fellows. Our Aborigines burnt out regularly and in such a way as to not destroy the bush.

It sounds heartbreaking.

Just remember this folks, our weather tends to mimic Australias for the most part... this could be the US next summer, especially with that volcano in Russia still putting ash into the upper atmosphere.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.