Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GUNS/RLTD Female Gun Owners: We Prefer the AR-15
+ Reply to Thread

Female Gun Owners: We Prefer the AR-15

In the aftermath of a recent Florida self-defense shooting, female gun owners argued that the AR-15 provides specific advantages to women for home defense, vehemently rejecting the views of gun-control activists who insist the firearm is unnecessary.

Speaking with the Washington Free Beacon on Friday, five female firearm owners and advocates said the AR-15 platform offers several features that are ideal for women specifically. Robyn M. Sandoval, executive director of A Girl & A Gun Women's Shooting League, said the rifle is both more effective and safer for female shooters.

"ARs are an excellent choice for women for home defense," Sandoval told the Free Beacon. "The platform is relatively lightweight and easy to hold and customize so that the firearm fits her body correctly. Having a rifle that is the right size for the shooter makes it more comfortable to shoot and therefore more accurate and safer."

Many Democratic politicians, including 2020 frontrunner Joe Biden, have long decried the AR-15 as both dangerous and an impractical or unnecessary firearm for civilians, especially women. But the female firearm owners the Free Beacon spoke to rejected the logic of these pro-gun-control men.

"AR-15s are perfect for women," Mary Chastain, a writer and gun owner, said. "Despite the size, they are lightweight and have hardly any kickback. This allows us to aim well and shoot the target where we want to."

Dana Loesch, a nationally syndicated radio host and gun-rights activist who has faced threats to her safety throughout her career, said she picks an AR-15 when it comes to home defense.

"I was always taught in training that your pistol is what you use to get to your rifle, and the AR-15 is what I choose to use," Loesch told the Free Beacon.

The customizability of the rifle is a big selling point for women, competitive shooter and trainer Julie Golob said.

"The AR platform can be a useful and effective option for women when it comes to defending themselves and their property," she told the Free Beacon. "Starting with the fact that the length of pull can be adjusted easily, unlike rifles with fixed stocks, the AR can quickly become custom fit to its user. The pistol grip, combined with quick access to the safety and other controls, makes this platform one a woman can confidently control."

"I can choose my trigger, hand guard, barrel length, grip," Dianna Muller, a former police officer and head of the gun-rights group DC Project, added. "I can put a light, laser, etc. I call it the Mr. Potato Head for the gun connoisseur!"

The testimony of these women contradicts Biden, who has repeatedly claimed that AR-15s are hard to use and ineffective compared with shotguns. In 2013, he said he had advised his own wife to use a double-barrel shotgun instead of an AR-15.

"I said, ‘Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out and put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,'" Biden said in an interview with Parents Magazine. "You don't need an AR-15—it's harder to aim. It's harder to use, and in fact you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun! Buy a shotgun!"

Late last month, a heavily pregnant mother did exactly what Biden warned against to defend her family. She used an AR-15 to fend off two armed men who were attacking her husband and daughter in their Florida home.

The women who spoke with the Free Beacon disagreed with Biden's assertions that AR-15s are not necessary. Loesch said she was competent with shotguns, but has found the AR-15 is simply a better option.

"The 12 gauge is an excellent home defense gun, too, but the collateral consideration does affect my decision there (frangible ammo is an option)," Loesch told the Free Beacon. "AR-15s are easy to shoulder, lightweight, the low recoil makes it easier to maintain target acquisition, and the ergonomics are great. I can access everything without compromising a defensive stance. I also have more rounds with an AR-15."

Chastain also said that she finds the AR-15 easier than many other firearms to use.

"You can use it with one hand, which helps me," she said. "My entire left side is handicapped, caused by brain trauma at birth. There are many guns I cannot use. The AR is perfect because I can use the functions with only my right hand. The lightness of the gun makes it easy for my handicapped left arm and hand to hold it."

The women said the availability of magazines with more ammunition capacity than the double-barrel shotguns Biden highlighted—which hold only two rounds—is a significant advantage of the AR platform, as is the variety of ammunition types.

"Standard capacity magazines create a reduced chance to have to fumble to exchange mags under stress," Golob said.

"The ballistics of defensive ammunition prevent over-penetration, and standard-capacity magazines hold 30 rounds, which is more than a shotgun or pistol," Sandoval said.

The women who spoke to the Free Beacon stressed that, while they believe the AR-15 provides them certain advantages over other guns, women are more than able to become skilled with shotguns, handguns, or any other firearm.

"There are pros and cons to any self-defense tool," Golob said. "Practice on the range and training gun-handling skills, whether it’s a rifle, pistol, or shotgun, is key. I feel that the best home defense option for a woman is the one she is most comfortable with and that she can produce the best results."

Sandoval encouraged women to "train extensively on any firearm they choose to use to protect their families" but also noted AR-15 classes are one of the most commonly available—one of its primary advantages in her opinion.

Some of the women also view the imposing nature and reputation of the AR-15 as a bonus feature.

"I also like the fact that they're scary looking," Chastain said. "A man breaks into my house, I don't mind using a scary looking weapon to defend myself."

"Ultimately, I want the meanest, most manageable thing I can get," Loesch said.
    https://freebeacon.com/issues/female...fer-the-ar-15/
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

Going through basic in 1981 in our introduction to the M-16 the drill took the weapon with a 30 round magazine and put the butt of the weapon into his groin and put it on full auto and exhausted the magazine. Everyone was duly impressed. Was thinking at the time that the man either had gonads of steel or didn't have any at all. And looking at his stature I was leaning towards steel.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Any one with any knowledge would agree, with the OP. Reason, see post #2.

In which he means no kick. Ideal for a woman, no bruises to explain. Not only that but they are so much fun to shoot.
    "Wise Men Still Seek Him"-bumper sticker

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

The ability to adjust it has been of value to us. The wife and I can redo the AR to fit our sizes. It makes it much better and fun to shoot.

I love mine!

As for home defense, I carry, but do have the option of a variety to choose from if needed. All customized just for me.
    Sherree

Good OP, good discussion.

I would suggest some good basic training on running the AR and once mastered, some good basic training on fighting with it as well.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    I love mine!

As for home defense, I carry, but do have the option of a variety to choose from if needed. All customized just for me.
    We did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Good OP, good discussion.

I would suggest some good basic training on running the AR and once mastered, some good basic training on fighting with it as well.
    We have a home range and still have trouble getting time on the range to do what is needed to do.

I love my AR-15. It's much lighter than my old Woodstock 223 rifle. I used the 223 rifle for shooting coyotes, kind of cumbersome, longer barrel as well, hard to customize, limited extra round capacity. Since I've got my AR-15, I have become a coyotes worst nightmare.

When Springfield came out with their AR-15 Saint Pistol, I knew I just had to get one, shorter length made it perfect for home protection (not that the longer barrel AR was not), also made it good to go as a truck gun when out and about on my ranch. It's nice to have the magazine interchangeability as well. Usually I carry a handgun also, have a 2-shot derringer for snakes in 410, but the AR is always within reach.

NP

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    We have a home range and still have trouble getting time on the range to do what is needed to do.
    We also have a home gun range, but it's mostly for hand guns. For further out shooting, we use a private gun range. It goes out to 200 yards.
    Sherree

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    We also have a home gun range, but it's mostly for hand guns. For further out shooting, we use a private gun range. It goes out to 200 yards.
    Ours is only about 50 yards. Yet as we live in the woods, it works. You can't see farther than 75 yards on a good day. During the summer, it is dark as night under those trees.

I wonder if the same can be said for the various similar models out there, like the DPMS Oracle, the Ruger AR-556, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    I wonder if the same can be said for the various similar models out there, like the DPMS Oracle, the Ruger AR-556, and others.
    Not sure what you are referring to.

The ones you mentioned are merely that companies variation of the AR 15, like different forearms, sights, barrel length, etc.

ETA: "AR 15" has turned into a catch - all phrase for the civilian use of the M-16. The majority of AR 15 variants today are more in line with M-4. Correct if needed.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Not sure what you are referring to.

The ones you mentioned are merely that companies variation of the AR 15, like different forearms, sights, barrel length, etc.

ETA: "AR 15" has turned into a catch - all phrase for the civilian use of the M-16. The majority of AR 15 variants today are more in line with M-4. Correct if needed.
    Right, exactly. The ones I listed were variations. I wondered if everything positive said about the AR-15 could be said about the variants as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    One of the things I would recommend:

Spend some time on a long range, range, 200 yards plus.

The reason is to get familiar with the bullet rise/drop, in an experiential way. You can read all kinds of tables for that, but it's a whole different world when you actually do the shooting yourself.

Then come home, and use your 75 yard range, to practice, and stay up to date on. Since you now know where you will need to aim, for a bullseye. If from one time to the next it changes you will know the sights/scope has been knocked off center.

I wondered if everything positive said about the AR-15 could be said about the variants as well.

Absolutely.

At the cost of somewhat diminished ballistic efficiency and a shorter sight radius for iron sights, the M-4geries (shorter barreled collapsible stock AR carbines) offer overall shorter lengths, lighter weight and improved handiness especially in use around confined spaces, vehicles etc.

The wide variety of optics (red dots, prismatics, and conventional telescopic sights) offer another magnitude of utility for AR carbines and AR pistols.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    I wondered if everything positive said about the AR-15 could be said about the variants as well.

Absolutely.

At the cost of somewhat diminished ballistic efficiency and a shorter sight radius for iron sights, the M-4geries (shorter barreled collapsible stock AR carbines) offer overall shorter lengths, lighter weight and improved handiness especially in use around confined spaces, vehicles etc.

The wide variety of optics (red dots, prismatics, and conventional telescopic sights) offer another magnitude of utility for AR carbines and AR pistols.
    Dunham's Sports has been running a deal for the last several months on the Oracle DPMS line; $429.99 on Mondays only.

A few more paychecks and I may well buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post

Going through basic in 1981 in our introduction to the M-16 the drill took the weapon with a 30 round magazine and put the butt of the weapon into his groin and put it on full auto and exhausted the magazine. Everyone was duly impressed. Was thinking at the time that the man either had gonads of steel or didn't have any at all. And looking at his stature I was leaning towards steel.

Here is an Angry Cops video where he says he did the same thing as a drill instructor ~1:20 in.

Angry Vet VS ANTI-2nd Amendment Veteran Group (3:31)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv946KHbQ78

Right, exactly. The ones I listed were variations. I wondered if everything positive said about the AR-15 could be said about the variants as well.
    The Ruger 556 has received glowing reports. Just saying.

Dunham's Sports has been running a deal for the last several months on the Oracle DPMS line; $429.99 on Mondays only.

A few more paychecks and I may well buy in.
    I would do some research on the Oracle. DPMS was bought out by Remington, and Remington has had some quality control issues. I don't know where it stands right now.

I don't think you can go wrong with Palmetto but you do have to deal with the FFL transfer.
    Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post

It's really easy to take most, if not all, the 'kick' out of any 'shoulder-fired weapon'. I posted about it here on TB2K about a year before they were being sold on the open market. Out there, they are called 'dead mule plugs'. For most shotguns and some rifles, the wooden stock is held on the 'receiver' by a long bolt that goes through the stock from under the buttplate up to the receiver. Under the buttplate is a hole about 2" to 2 1/2" deep for that bolt. Just make a lead 'plug' just big enough to set 'snugly'...not tight...in that hole. And like I said most, if not all of the kick is gone. I have fired my 12 gauge shotgun with the butt on my groin...and still fathered 2 more kids afterwards. At the time, I was trying to get my wife from being afraid to shoot it. Lol, "Try it; you'll like it".
    You say "trigger-happy cowboy" as if it were a bad thing.

"If they come a'huntin' me; they can consider themselves lucky if they*don't* find me!"

No surrender; no retreat!

If we fight, victory is not certain. If we do not fight, defeat surely is.

Banning AR15s is now Racist And Sexist...

Quote Originally Posted by Caplock50 View Post
    It's really easy to take most, if not all, the 'kick' out of any 'shoulder-fired weapon'. I posted about it here on TB2K about a year before they were being sold on the open market. Out there, they are called 'dead mule plugs'. For most shotguns and some rifles, the wooden stock is held on the 'receiver' by a long bolt that goes through the stock from under the buttplate up to the receiver. Under the buttplate is a hole about 2" to 2 1/2" deep for that bolt. Just make a lead 'plug' just big enough to set 'snugly'...not tight...in that hole. And like I said most, if not all of the kick is gone. I have fired my 12 gauge shotgun with the butt on my groin...and still fathered 2 more kids afterwards. At the time, I was trying to get my wife from being afraid to shoot it. Lol, "Try it; you'll like it".
    I always fire my Mossberg 500 from my waist. Packs a pretty good punch. It took me a while to figure out why the kickback was pinching my finger, LOL. Maybe your wife won't have that problem. She may like it!
    Sherree

I put a Knoxx “Cop Stock” on mine.

Unless you are a snowflake....

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...icle-1.2673201

snip

Not in my hands. I've shot pistols before, but never something like an AR-15. Squeeze lightly on the trigger and the resulting explosion of firepower is humbling and deafening (even with ear protection).

The recoil bruised my shoulder, which can happen if you don't know what you're doing. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary form of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable.

Even in semi-automatic mode, it is very simple to squeeze off two dozen rounds before you even know what has happened. If illegally modified to fully automatic mode, it doesn't take any imagination to see dozens of bodies falling in front of your barrel.

All it takes is the will to do it.

Forty nine people can be gone in 60 seconds.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Thank you for such a useful post, and subsequent discussion, Ragnorak.
    Perhaps one of those there things should have a place in my next tragic
    boating accident.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

I recall this video from a couple months back- demonstration of the advantages of a scary black rifle.
    =====

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/hom...#axzz651PmPBNM

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/hom...#ixzz651QWMpRN
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Home Invasion Stopped with AR-15 (Ruger AR 556) – VIDEO
    Ammoland Inc. Posted on September 30, 2019 by Dean Weingarten

RT 06:15 (including commentary)