Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Need some new cordless tools.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Worx has done pretty well for me so far. I'm surprised at the range of options that all work on one battery. They're pretty easy to maintain, too; the chain has come off my JawSaw several times, but I can re-string it in minutes.

When my 18 volt Dewalt drill gave up the ghost, I sprang for the 20v brushless--and replaced all of my old 18 volt tools. So far am happy. I know the Dewalt of today is not yesterday's Dewalt, but I am so happy with my 1953 Dewalt radial arm saw that I stick with the name. (My first cordless were Porter-Cables--they didn't last too long.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    love the Dewalt 18 volt setup. you can buy used stuff where people went to the 20 volt, and dewalt sells a adapter to use the 20 volt battery in 18 volt tools.
    I saw an adapter on amazon that let you use the 20 volt lithium in your 18 volt tool.

Whatever you decide on, pick a platform that offers all the tools you will want in the future. What I mean is the same battery and charger to work on each of the different tools and then stick with that manufacturer and line of tools with the same battery and voltage.

At work, on commercial aircraft, guys use Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Makita, mostly in that order. But each guy sticks with his brand otherwise you end up with a lot fo different batteries that are incompatible. You can't grab the battery from your saw to run your drill when it fails if the manufacturer is different.

I use Milwalkee 12V lithium at work and have taken the old Milwalkee 18V NiCad home for use there. They are heavier and get less use at home. If you spend hours using a tool weight matters to you. Beyond that my only recommendation is to stick with one of the brands I mentioned.

Shadow
    "18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness… 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened… 24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts…" Romans 1:18-32

DeWalt 20 is what I chose to go with and I have been quite happy. From the drills and impact driver to Impact wrenches, hedge trimmer, pole saw, chainsaw and yard trimmer - all using the same batteries...

I will say that if you are planning on working more in specific trades or automotive I would look at the 12v Milwaukee line. Milwaukee is really putting out the tools lately and they seem to be listening to their customers and tradesman on their needs. I picked up a Milwaukee heated vest last year and then an auto ratchet (since I had the battery already). I am sure I will pick up a couple more of their tools in the future

This year I found I needed a cordless drill and bought the Lowes house brand "KOBALT" for $100 plus tax. It's a 1/2 drill and brushless so that makes it a induction motor and runs on a 24V battery pack.
    Now I was using this to put in 3"1/4" screws and lots of them and has the power to put them in and keep going if your not careful. I had to give the battery pack a quick charge before using it the fist time, I completed the job and only used about 1/4 of it's charge capacity not bad as in the past the cordless drills I had did not do so well and ran down the battery pack before I could finish the job like this.
    The Lowes KOBALT 1/2" drill comes with a fully adjustable clutch that can be adjusted to set the screws just right and stop once fully set which is a nice feature the drill also has a LED light that comes on when you pull the trigger and puts the light on the work, the battery pack has a row of indicator lights that can be activated by pressing a button and show you how much of a charge is left in the battery pack. The charging of the battery pack seems to take a charge fast but up to now I have yet to run it down very far.

Edit Add: The drill is a variable speed trigger and has two speed high or low gear setting and also comes with the charger and a attachable auxiliary handle, a soft sided carry bag to keep it all in. The Drill is somewhat compact in size but seems to have ample power for most any job.
    Last edited by Publius; 11-12-2019 at 08:44 AM.

I can hear the guffaws already but I'd look at the Hercules line from Harbor Freight.
    Dewalt is just a name put on the case.

Made in China just like Kobalt and the Harbor Freight stuff and , probably, most of the others.
    Some in the same factories.

This is no longer your father's Harbor Freight.

Their quality has really improved

I will never own another Ryobi cordless tool again.
    Their batteries are poor and their power is weak.

Corded tools have there merits, there are things I would never by cordless.
    I'm not swapping out my compound miter saw.
    Don't think I would use a cordless angle grinder, If I got power for the welder I'll use a corded grinder.

My old Milwaukee 18v set had the skill saw, don't think I used it very much even when it was new.

I'm getting sick of dragging a cord around for stupid shit. Had to pull 200' out to get back to the garden to fix the gate. Would need almost 400' to get to the far reaches of the property.

I'm not a contractor but I will use the not a lot but hard when I do. Got a bathroom to remodel, parts of a basement to finish off, kitchen floor to replace plus the normal break/fix cycle of stuff.

So definitely leaning towards the 20v Dewalt stuff.
    Trying to pick through there kits is a pain in the ass.
    I definitely want the heavy duty brush-less hammer drill and an impact driver.
    Now I'm noticing they pack the kits with different AH capacity batteries.

For the people using this system what size batteries are you using? 2AH, 3AH, 4 AH, and there are even bigger ones.

Probably going to add a sawzall as well at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by fish hook View Post
    I saw an adapter on amazon that let you use the 20 volt lithium in your 18 volt tool.
    Yep, Home Depot had them on sale this past Father's Day kit also came with two 2.0ah batteries.
    "The entire human race are neither my brothers nor kin. There is nothing noble about non-discrimination - concepts such as love, trust and brotherhood lose all meaning when discrimination is removed."

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
    Corded tools have there merits, there are things I would never by cordless.
    I'm not swapping out my compound miter saw.
    Don't think I would use a cordless angle grinder, If I got power for the welder I'll use a corded grinder.

My old Milwaukee 18v set had the skill saw, don't think I used it very much even when it was new.

I'm getting sick of dragging a cord around for stupid shit. Had to pull 200' out to get back to the garden to fix the gate. Would need almost 400' to get to the far reaches of the property.

I'm not a contractor but I will use the not a lot but hard when I do. Got a bathroom to remodel, parts of a basement to finish off, kitchen floor to replace plus the normal break/fix cycle of stuff.

So definitely leaning towards the 20v Dewalt stuff.
    Trying to pick through there kits is a pain in the ass.
    I definitely want the heavy duty brush-less hammer drill and an impact driver.
    Now I'm noticing they pack the kits with different AH capacity batteries.

For the people using this system what size batteries are you using? 2AH, 3AH, 4 AH, and there are even bigger ones.

Probably going to add a sawzall as well at some point.
    Yes, deciphering the differences between their tools in the kits is painful. When I was researching I found where the most common kit had a few tools that did not have all the features the stand alone or combo kits had but I also found a kit that was not sold in stores for about $100 more that had the upgraded tools. it was things like the Sawzall would only hold blade one way vs the upgraded having multiple directions it would hold. The saw had a better base … all things now that probably don't matter as much if not using for your job.

I use the smaller 2ah batteries for the impact driver, It really takes a 3AH battery for more for the drill and now I have a few 5ah batteries for the outdoor stuff (trimmers, chain and pole saw). they make a new smaller 3ah battery that is slightly larger than the 2ah (just wider). I also have a blower that I use a 3ah but it goes through that is about 20 min - the blower is probably one of the things I use the most. So easy to pick up to blow off the deck and front porch, blow out the garage... I have a backpack blower for the yard since I have lots of leaves but it is so easy to use the dewalt blower I use it 3 times a week at least.