Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

  If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **



*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or


Misc Honey with mold
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Honey with mold

  1. #1

    6 Honey with mold

    Is it possible to just remove the small spots of mold from the top of my honey? Does the honey have to be discarded?
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

  2. #2
    Hmmm... real honey, kept sealed, shouldn't mold. However, it is strongly hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air) and if it's not kept tightly sealed and your air is humid, it could absorb enough water to no longer be a strong enough sugar solution, which could allow mold to grow.

    Unfortunately, it really can't be considered safe for consumption... while it used to be recommended that you just scraped the mold off the top of jellies or jam and then consume the "clean" food underneath, more recent studies have shown that mycotoxins spread quite a distance through soft foodstuffs beyond the visible mold growth.

    The only foods which are considered safe to consume after cutting all visible mold off are *hard* cheeses.

    If you have a large container of honey and only a small but of mold on top, you could probably scoop out the mold and a large scoop of honey around it... but it's definitely not recommended.

    Summerthyme

  3. #3
    I only buy local honey - but this is a "new" place for me - here in NW Florida - tightly sealed and labeled "Pure Honey" and the fellow who sold it to me told me all about his hives, etc.
    Not sure what sort of mold (or even IF it's mold) but white spots small and larger on top of the honey. Looks strange and makes me suspicious.
    Thank you for this reply.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

  4. #4
    Hmmm.. are you sure it's not beeswax? When we extract honey, we often get a bit of a skim of wax on top... unless it's filtered, that's common.

    I'd scoop one of those "spots" off the top and rinse the honey off, then see what you have. As I said, honey which has been properly cured by the bees is essentially a saturated syrup, which can't support mold growth. I'll bet it's not mold, and it's probably perfectly fine.

    Summerthyme

  5. #5
    Beeswax or crystals? The raw honey I get, for reasons I don't know, starts crystallizing almost as soon as I open it. Makes it rather difficult to use out of the bottle after it starts clumping.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

    http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    That is another possibility. Real honey *always* crystalizes, sooner or later. Some types of nectar crystalize much faster than others. You can always reliquify it either in the microwave (I don't recommend that if it's in plastic) or by setting the jar on a rack in a pan of water and simmering it until it's all fluid again.

    But Gercarson's issues don't really sound like crystallization to me...

    Summerthyme

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    9,224
    A picture might help

    1Pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer

    Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Green County, Kentucky
    Posts
    11,209
    Seconding everything Summerthyme has said. There is one other possibility. Once in a while if honey is extracted (removed from the comb) before it's really 'ripe' (still has too high of a water level in it) it will mold. An experienced bee-keeper shouldn't be bottling 'green' honey, though. (Once the bees have capped the cells, the honey inside is 'ripe.' If a comb has too many open cells, the whole batch may end up having too high of a moisture level.) But a good clear close-up photo, if you can manage it, might help us figure it out.

    Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

    wickr ID freeholder45

  9. #9
    I will not be able to provide a photo - but have decided that it has a high probability of being residual wax. I've taken Summerthyme's advice and followed her instructions.
    Thank you all for your help.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Farvana
    Posts
    13,566
    With all the junk they keep selling as “real” I personally wouldn’t take a chance on this unless I had bought local. Then I’d probably think about it and still throw it out. If local I might call the people who processed only to give them a heads up. Heck the grands might have helped and done something wrong or something else. But I wouldn’t chance eating it.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

    Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrsyan View Post
    Beeswax or crystals? The raw honey I get, for reasons I don't know, starts crystallizing almost as soon as I open it. Makes it rather difficult to use out of the bottle after it starts clumping.
    Just set the jar in a pan of warm water and it will reliquify.

    As for the mold it can happen if the honey was bottled while too wet. I check all my honey with a refractometer before I sell it. Before you do anything make sure it is really mold and not crystals or wax. Usually when I have a little wax left on top it is in an even layer so spots on top sounds odd to me. Personally that only happens at the end of bottling so I keep those jars for us to use vs sell. Is there any odor like it is fermenting? Bubbles? If the guy is local take it back to him and see what he says.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


NOTICE: Timebomb2000 is an Internet forum for discussion of world events and personal disaster preparation. Membership is by request only. The opinions posted do not necessarily represent those of TB2K Incorporated (the owner of this website), the staff or site host. Responsibility for the content of all posts rests solely with the Member making them. Neither TB2K Inc, the Staff nor the site host shall be liable for any content.

All original member content posted on this forum becomes the property of TB2K Inc. for archival and display purposes on the Timebomb2000 website venue. Said content may be removed or edited at staff discretion. The original authors retain all rights to their material outside of the Timebomb2000.com website venue. Publication of any original material from Timebomb2000.com on other websites or venues without permission from TB2K Inc. or the original author is expressly forbidden.



"Timebomb2000", "TB2K" and "Watching the World Tick Away" are Service Mark℠ TB2K, Inc. All Rights Reserved.