Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

  If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **



*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or


TRANS Used truck advice
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jefferson
    Posts
    8,498

    Used truck advice

    Need to replace my 2004 F150 2wd XLT pickup. Moving up into the mountains so need 4x4 for snow and power to tow a 28ft Jayflight TT and our boat.

    Can't believe the prices of new...OUCH! So looking at F150 and F250's. Both gas and diesel rigs. I've been told if going with diesel go with the 6.7 engines. I'm not thrilled with the V6 gas engines. Just seems too small for really towing through the Rockies and Sierra Nevada's. Want a king cab the cab and a half XLT cab are too small for our travel needs.

    So whats the.good bad and ugly out there? Diesel yes or no? Ideas, suggestions, etc.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Posts
    173,136
    New are in excess of $50k.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    PRNJ
    Posts
    2,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    New are in excess of $50k.
    70k+ for crew cab and Diesel.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    8,168
    We have a 2016 F150 Crew cab and we absolutely love it!! I would not go Diesel but that's just me. My husband has a F250 diesel and he has had nothing but problems with it. Even had to get in on a class action lawsuit because there were so many problems. He would not buy another diesel because of that. Ford knowingly made them with problems. But we still do buy Ford. In the mountains I would never buy the smaller engine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1997
    Location
    State of Missouri
    Posts
    16,052
    In my area, you would be looking at just under $30,000 for a 5 year old (2014 model) F150 CrewCab 4x4. And just OVER $30,000 for an F250 of the same vintage.
    "People are best convinced by reasons they discover on their own."

    "The next 20 years are going to be completely unlike the last 20 years." - Chris Martenson (The New 2014 Crash Course)

  6. #6
    I do lots of towing (not through mountains) and diesel is always my choice, more torque, fuel economy and longevity.

    The downside, although gas engines aren't cheap to maintain my experience has been the diesels are more costly and the initial cost of the truck is going to be more, probably $7500-9000 if new and used will also be more expensive.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Posts
    3,904
    That V6 with the factory blower will surprise you. In the F-150 I like the 514 CID. Word I've heard and read with Ford engines is change oil often with high quality oil. Cam phasers have been a problem for Ford and they don't fix 'em free. Usually requires a new engine (you pay). I loved Ford for most of my life. However, have come to believe that GMC and Chevy are a superior product.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Green County, Kentucky
    Posts
    11,004
    For hauling a trailer in the mountains, you definitely need the F-250. 4-W-D is a plus. If you can get a model that's known to be reliable, I'd go with diesel -- my F-250 is gas, and has been fine (it's a '97, by the way -- you may need something bigger than your current truck, but you don't necessarily need something newer), but it only gets about 12 mpg.

    Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

    wickr ID freeholder45

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    4,003
    I have a 2013 F150 Super Crew cab w/ Ecoboost (6 cyl gas engine with twin turbos). It has been one of the best running vehicles I've ever owned. PLENTY of towing power (boat or camper) going through the mountains of Idaho. Doesn't even break a sweat. I average 16.9 MPG as a daily driver (I'm heavy on the gas pedal), and waay less when towing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    SE Okieland
    Posts
    7,316
    SM.

    Depending where you live, you could find a good buy at: https://autoauctions.gsa.gov/GSAAuto...VehicleListing

    I have bought vehicles from GSA and had good luck with them....

    The price for pickups is less than from a used car lot or dealer and many of the trucks are low miles.... They have 3/4 ton crew cab pickups with gas and diesel engines.... The diesel pickups sell for more than the gas pickups.

    The vehicle has to be paid for when the auction is over....

    We used a credit card to pay for a 2010 full size passenger van with 41,500 miles purchased June 2017.... The vehicle now has just over 71,000 miles.... Used a code reader on the vehicles that we looked at.... Code readers are worth the money that you spend on them.

    Texican....

  11. #11
    Stick with Ford. 2011-2017 Chevy/GMC trucks are suffering the "Chevy shudder". It's a transmission problem that a software upgrade apparently didn't fix. There are probably 8 different recalls on those trucks now, and the ones on the Duramax diesel fuel pump I don't think haven't even hit the public yet. Build quality can be spotty on the 11-17s and not much better on the brand new ones. Their paint is around 3.5 mils thick with the clearcoat; on some doors I've seen looks like a robot was suffering the shakes when they painted it.

    Ford has a higher quality and better built truck. I inspect both day in and day out so I know a little bit about them. Don't be shy about the 3.5 EcoBoost V6's in the full sized trucks-I felt the same way as you do about them. Until I drove one. Whoa! Fast truck. VERY fast truck.........The 6.7 Powerstroke is a good motor-with enough torque to tow your house to your favorite camping spot! Someone mentioned cam phasers-those were on the 5.4 Triton gas engines (be super careful buying an 08-11 Expedition-seen lots of those with cam phaser issues and it's not covered under warranty. Pricey fix too.) Build quality is good. Very good. Seen less issues with Fords than I have with the new Dodge Rams. Electronics in both brands are good; I prefer the Fords' nav display though. And their 6 speed automatic, comes stock with a tranny cooler in the F-250s if I remember correctly. Best paint job of any truck out there. The aluminum body panels don't rust. The seats in the lower end models feel more comfortable than the Chevy's. The interiors overall are just nicer-Chevy's look like the interior from their last generation trucks. And they're all dark-very dark.
    A Ford should carry what you need with no problems.

    And if you do go used, try a Ford CPO unit. Certified Pre Owned. Gives you a refurbished truck with extra warranty and documentation. And if you buy a Ford at a Ford dealer, ALWAYS ask for the OASIS report. This is the factory's build and info sheet on the vehicle, shows if the truck was commercially or privately owned, if there are open recalls on the truck, etc. And if they want to show you the CarFax or AutoChek report on the truck, just remember that if an accident with the vehicle isn't reported to Carfax, it won't BE on the Carfax. In the F-series trucks look for prior repairs in the right rear bed, front right pickup truck bed, and the lower cab corner on the same side. Heavy and or deep scratches on the right rear alloy wheel could be an indicator of previous damage and repairs. Remember they're aluminum-it's a touch pricier to repair than sheet metal. Insurance companies will "cheap up" a repair by straightening out the kinks in the damaged panel, then slathering body filler on it to smooth out the imperfections.
    Hope this helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    Need to replace my 2004 F150 2wd XLT pickup. Moving up into the mountains so need 4x4 for snow and power to tow a 28ft Jayflight TT and our boat.

    Can't believe the prices of new...OUCH! So looking at F150 and F250's. Both gas and diesel rigs. I've been told if going with diesel go with the 6.7 engines. I'm not thrilled with the V6 gas engines. Just seems too small for really towing through the Rockies and Sierra Nevada's. Want a king cab the cab and a half XLT cab are too small for our travel needs.

    So whats the.good bad and ugly out there? Diesel yes or no? Ideas, suggestions, etc.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Posts
    3,904
    AlfaMan. You appear right to a point on Chevy shudder. However, GM changed the tranny fluid composition which has resolved the problem. I was like you for most of my life on Ford loyalty. People accused me of having F O R D embroidered on my underwear. I bought a GM Sierra SLT V8 4WD that runs as smooth and quiet as my 1990 LS 400 purchased years ago. Get around 18 mpg in town in summer. I did buy a '98 F-150 new. It stayed in the family for twelve years. Guy we sold it to called my son to say he had turned over 300k without a wrench on it. It was well cared for.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Green County, Kentucky
    Posts
    11,004
    Quote Originally Posted by David Nettleton View Post
    AlfaMan. You appear right to a point on Chevy shudder. However, GM changed the tranny fluid composition which has resolved the problem. I was like you for most of my life on Ford loyalty. People accused me of having F O R D embroidered on my underwear. I bought a GM Sierra SLT V8 4WD that runs as smooth and quiet as my 1990 LS 400 purchased years ago. Get around 18 mpg in town in summer. I did buy a '98 F-150 new. It stayed in the family for twelve years. Guy we sold it to called my son to say he had turned over 300k without a wrench on it. It was well cared for.
    I hope my '97 F-250 lasts that long! I've been driving it -- most of the time as my only vehicle -- for twelve years, and hope it lasts at least that much longer. Just replaced the alternator, but it's really been a good truck over all.

    Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

    wickr ID freeholder45

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    Stick with Ford. 2011-2017 Chevy/GMC trucks are suffering the "Chevy shudder". It's a transmission problem that a software upgrade apparently didn't fix. There are probably 8 different recalls on those trucks now, and the ones on the Duramax diesel fuel pump I don't think haven't even hit the public yet. Build quality can be spotty on the 11-17s and not much better on the brand new ones. Their paint is around 3.5 mils thick with the clearcoat; on some doors I've seen looks like a robot was suffering the shakes when they painted it.

    Ford has a higher quality and better built truck. I inspect both day in and day out so I know a little bit about them. Don't be shy about the 3.5 EcoBoost V6's in the full sized trucks-I felt the same way as you do about them. Until I drove one. Whoa! Fast truck. VERY fast truck.........The 6.7 Powerstroke is a good motor-with enough torque to tow your house to your favorite camping spot! Someone mentioned cam phasers-those were on the 5.4 Triton gas engines (be super careful buying an 08-11 Expedition-seen lots of those with cam phaser issues and it's not covered under warranty. Pricey fix too.) Build quality is good. Very good. Seen less issues with Fords than I have with the new Dodge Rams. Electronics in both brands are good; I prefer the Fords' nav display though. And their 6 speed automatic, comes stock with a tranny cooler in the F-250s if I remember correctly. Best paint job of any truck out there. The aluminum body panels don't rust. The seats in the lower end models feel more comfortable than the Chevy's. The interiors overall are just nicer-Chevy's look like the interior from their last generation trucks. And they're all dark-very dark.
    A Ford should carry what you need with no problems.

    And if you do go used, try a Ford CPO unit. Certified Pre Owned. Gives you a refurbished truck with extra warranty and documentation. And if you buy a Ford at a Ford dealer, ALWAYS ask for the OASIS report. This is the factory's build and info sheet on the vehicle, shows if the truck was commercially or privately owned, if there are open recalls on the truck, etc. And if they want to show you the CarFax or AutoChek report on the truck, just remember that if an accident with the vehicle isn't reported to Carfax, it won't BE on the Carfax. In the F-series trucks look for prior repairs in the right rear bed, front right pickup truck bed, and the lower cab corner on the same side. Heavy and or deep scratches on the right rear alloy wheel could be an indicator of previous damage and repairs. Remember they're aluminum-it's a touch pricier to repair than sheet metal. Insurance companies will "cheap up" a repair by straightening out the kinks in the damaged panel, then slathering body filler on it to smooth out the imperfections.
    Hope this helps.
    Hey AlfaMan!

    Here's some eye candy for ya!

    Came with two engines (both in the bed).

    It's a 1992 Ford F-150 Flareside Nite edition I'm just finishing up on. 5.0/ 5 spd manual/ 4x4/ 4 inch lift. Kinda makes you long for the old days, eh?
    Attached Images
    Sub-Zero

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jefferson
    Posts
    8,498
    Really appreciate all the comments. Talk about sticker shock when I started looking for a replacement truck. OUCH!! New....the damn things are going for more than I paid for my first HOUSE!! INSANE!!

    Had to take my ol'girl in for a check up due to rough shifting, especially going up or down hills. Turned out to be some sort of "programing" issue. Everything else was good and they updated the necessary software. Who would of thunk.

    So I had several hours to check out the selection on the sales lot. WOW.....even the used, warrantied trucks were starting out in the $50K's. But I did get a chance to drive a two year old V6 turbo boost jobs. Pretty perky actually. Good Lord all the electronics and bells and whistles in these things now!! WOW!! But just how reliable is all this computer/electronic "stuff"?

    The gal at the service desk was very interesting and honest. Basically said the 6.7 Diesel was a great engine...the preceding two smaller Ford diesels were bascially junk and should be avoided at all costs. She did mention that there was an older that came before the most recent failures that was totally rock solid and still held it value today....if you can find one.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    1,655
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    Need to replace my 2004 F150 2wd XLT pickup. Moving up into the mountains so need 4x4 for snow and power to tow a 28ft Jayflight TT and our boat.

    Can't believe the prices of new...OUCH! So looking at F150 and F250's. Both gas and diesel rigs. I've been told if going with diesel go with the 6.7 engines. I'm not thrilled with the V6 gas engines. Just seems too small for really towing through the Rockies and Sierra Nevada's. Want a king cab the cab and a half XLT cab are too small for our travel needs.

    So whats the.good bad and ugly out there? Diesel yes or no? Ideas, suggestions, etc.
    Diesel is the way to go for both towing and residual value on resale. They are a little more expensive on the maintenance side due to more oil and fuel filters and the like... We've got 2 2011 6.7 Fords with over 250k miles on them and outside of the emissions system garbage they have been perfect. If you live in an area that doesn't emissions test you can remove it all and have a long running dependable truck

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greater Kansas City
    Posts
    1,260
    I have no personal experience on gas vs diesel. However, due to the increased emission requirements, I have read that many manufacturers are switching from diesel to gas. I assume the requirements will also affect the fuel, so torque, etc. you have today, may not be there tomorrow.
    This information is guaranteed to be accurate at least until I finish this post.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,981
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    Really appreciate all the comments. Talk about sticker shock when I started looking for a replacement truck. OUCH!! New....the damn things are going for more than I paid for my first HOUSE!! INSANE!!

    Had to take my ol'girl in for a check up due to rough shifting, especially going up or down hills. Turned out to be some sort of "programing" issue. Everything else was good and they updated the necessary software. Who would of thunk.

    So I had several hours to check out the selection on the sales lot. WOW.....even the used, warrantied trucks were starting out in the $50K's. But I did get a chance to drive a two year old V6 turbo boost jobs. Pretty perky actually. Good Lord all the electronics and bells and whistles in these things now!! WOW!! But just how reliable is all this computer/electronic "stuff"?

    The gal at the service desk was very interesting and honest. Basically said the 6.7 Diesel was a great engine...the preceding two smaller Ford diesels were bascially junk and should be avoided at all costs. She did mention that there was an older that came before the most recent failures that was totally rock solid and still held it value today....if you can find one.
    The 7.3
    🇺🇸T🇺🇸R🇺🇸U🇺🇸M🇺🇸P🇺🇸
    🇺🇸🇺🇸2🇺🇸0🇺🇸2🇺🇸0🇺🇸🇺🇸

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    South of Valhalla
    Posts
    25,100
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    Moving up into the mountains...
    You lucky sunofabeyatch...

    I'm jealous...
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    749
    Cheaper than a pickup & enuff OOMPH to PULL A HOUSE !!!



  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    2,104
    Start looking at weight numbers on the trucks. Have you run your trailer and current vehicle over a cat scale? Knowing the real weight of your trailer would be good as well.

    Half ton diesels I would skip. 3/4 ton diesel is going to be very expensive to buy and if you look at your cargo/payload numbers you might find they are really low. Especially if you are looking at 4 door trucks.

    In the half ton trucks same thing, the payload can wind up very low. By the time you put 4 people and gear and a tongue weight from the trailer on the vehicle a lot of em are at max or over max numbers.

    Now I don't like nanny state stuff, but I like a lot of comfort and extra to the good in my payload numbers when hauling or towing.

    With ford coming out with the new 7.3 gas engine soon I would probably look at f250 4x4 with the 6.2 gas v8.

    I love how a diesel drives and tows and have owned a couple of diesels over the years. These days with current emissions and what not I would not want to deal with repairs on em.

    If talking base model v6 engine in f150, yeah skip it for towing. If talking the 3.5l twin turbo v6 then it has the power and ratings to do the towing, but I would understand the care and feeding of turbos before buying one.

    I think the next ford 250 and 350s will see a lot of folks buying the 7.3 liter gas engine just because they don't want turbos and diesel emissions.
    working on unplugging.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    6,085
    Personally I like Toyota th ones I have owned are great. My next truck wll be a T
    oyota.
    Some people are only alive because there are laws against killing them.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    637
    Shadow, If you are going to tow a travel trailer or perhaps a car carrier, then I would strongly suggest getting the 3/4 ton chassis. I have one of those and when towing can feel the trailer pushing against the truck from side to side during curves as well as when breaking. It is my opinion that a 1/2 ton chassis is too light a vehicle to be the dead weight in the equation. For reference my truck is a mid 90s GM 4x4 with positraction on both differentials, has a 5.7L (350 cid) with a 4 speed automatic. The fuel tank holds 34 gallons and the vehicle weighs in above 6000 lbs. (yes, that is in excess of 3 tons !) Fuel mileage is 12-13+ on the highway, 8-10 in town. This truck has a 4.10 gear ratio and was designed to pull. It acts like it...

    Adding an observation for awareness: a close friend bought a new Dodge diesel 4x4 4 or 5 years ago. Nice truck. The problem is that the truck was made 4x4 with standard differentials using only one tire to drive. Translation is that it gets stuck with only one front and rear tire driving while in 4x4. He had to have the differential changed to get at least one axle with both tires driving. The dealer responded that that is how they are built these days. Apparently he could have had positraction 4x4 as a premium option. Just throwing it out there as a story that may have relevance - alphaman may be able to bring some perspective.... I know I will do some research on the next 4x4 before buying it. Good luck in your search.

  24. #24
    Ooooh, LOVE a nice lookin' truck! Like the way you did the rockers and the floor pan; I see QUALITY work being done. You don't see seams in a rocker panel like you did on 200k Rolls Royces! Seriously nice work.And it's a flare side! You just don't see many of those anymore. Great look... I like the lift-it looks good but it's not too crazy tall. And the Nite version is a RARE bird these days. That is one pretty truck! Hold on to it, it will only go up in value. And a 302-carbed or throttle body? My first new car was a 93 Mustang LX 5 speed with the 302-notchback. It was TBI injection as I remember (and glorious fun.)
    I courted my wife in a '95 F-150. Ford green with grey vinyl. 300 ci 6 cylinder and a 5 speed. And a bench seat .


    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
    Hey AlfaMan!

    Here's some eye candy for ya!

    Came with two engines (both in the bed).

    It's a 1992 Ford F-150 Flareside Nite edition I'm just finishing up on. 5.0/ 5 spd manual/ 4x4/ 4 inch lift. Kinda makes you long for the old days, eh?

  25. #25
    The fluid remix did help with some of the vehicles, but the recall covers pretty much everything they have produced front engined with rear wheel drive. Still seeing the recalls on the trucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Nettleton View Post
    AlfaMan. You appear right to a point on Chevy shudder. However, GM changed the tranny fluid composition which has resolved the problem. I was like you for most of my life on Ford loyalty. People accused me of having F O R D embroidered on my underwear. I bought a GM Sierra SLT V8 4WD that runs as smooth and quiet as my 1990 LS 400 purchased years ago. Get around 18 mpg in town in summer. I did buy a '98 F-150 new. It stayed in the family for twelve years. Guy we sold it to called my son to say he had turned over 300k without a wrench on it. It was well cared for.

  26. #26
    The 7.3 V8 diesel is the rock solid motor the lady mentioned. It was made by International for Ford; it was essentially a bus motor. Absolutely bulletproof motor.
    The 6 litre Power-I'm having a stroke" motor had EGR issues, a popular mod is to delete the EGR valve on them (they tended to carbon up and block like the 2.8 V6 GM motors). The stroked version of the motor (think it was a 6.4 litre?) had similar issues.
    The electronics in most vehicles today is pretty near bulletproof. Even English cars today have reliable electronics (I know, shocker!) . Software sometimes needs updating (the UConnect system in Dodge Durangos a few years back were hackable) and electronics control pretty much everything in a vehicle. I'd say 99% of the vehicles produced since 2002 have drive by wire systems (electronic gas pedal, no more throttle cables) and the cars today simply would not run without the electronics in them. Some car's electronics can go awry (like Audi A4's that can't move because the electronics meant to apply slight pressure to the brake rotors in wet weather to keep the rotors dry just arbitrarily lock up. Car won't move!) but generally the electronics are ok.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    Really appreciate all the comments. Talk about sticker shock when I started looking for a replacement truck. OUCH!! New....the damn things are going for more than I paid for my first HOUSE!! INSANE!!

    Had to take my ol'girl in for a check up due to rough shifting, especially going up or down hills. Turned out to be some sort of "programing" issue. Everything else was good and they updated the necessary software. Who would of thunk.

    So I had several hours to check out the selection on the sales lot. WOW.....even the used, warrantied trucks were starting out in the $50K's. But I did get a chance to drive a two year old V6 turbo boost jobs. Pretty perky actually. Good Lord all the electronics and bells and whistles in these things now!! WOW!! But just how reliable is all this computer/electronic "stuff"?

    The gal at the service desk was very interesting and honest. Basically said the 6.7 Diesel was a great engine...the preceding two smaller Ford diesels were bascially junk and should be avoided at all costs. She did mention that there was an older that came before the most recent failures that was totally rock solid and still held it value today....if you can find one.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,982
    https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-250/

    This above link/site is pretty handy for information about every car out there. IIRC, some of the newer 6.7 F-250 diesels had problems with the fuel pumps grind apart and contaminating the entire fuel system with metallic flakes as they have issues with low sulfur diesel (less lubrication). Here's a class action lawsuit link about those fuel pumps.

    https://www.classaction.org/ford-die...oblem-lawsuits

    Good luck.
    Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    Ooooh, LOVE a nice lookin' truck! Like the way you did the rockers and the floor pan; I see QUALITY work being done. You don't see seams in a rocker panel like you did on 200k Rolls Royces! Seriously nice work.And it's a flare side! You just don't see many of those anymore. Great look... I like the lift-it looks good but it's not too crazy tall. And the Nite version is a RARE bird these days. That is one pretty truck! Hold on to it, it will only go up in value. And a 302-carbed or throttle body? My first new car was a 93 Mustang LX 5 speed with the 302-notchback. It was TBI injection as I remember (and glorious fun.)
    I courted my wife in a '95 F-150. Ford green with grey vinyl. 300 ci 6 cylinder and a 5 speed. And a bench seat .
    Thanks!

    5.0 with EFI (but not SEFI). It's the bank fuel injection system. I'm keeping it stock, and selling it.

    I had to save this one. It was in a pole shed for the last 14 years. The previous owner had it all apart; I mean the engine and the passenger compartments were bare. It came with two engines, both in the bed of the truck. One was high mileage (the original) and the other was supposedly a reman.

    We all know how this goes, right? But guess what; it was remanufactured. It (a 5.0) had very low mileage (the guy said about 13,000) and after I inspected it, I agree. The bearings and oil journals were perfect, it had great and even compression, and the oil pressure was great! It had a metal plate on the front of the block stating it was a reman, but not by who. It also had two holographic stickers (one on each head) that also matched the number on the plate. And, numbers painted on the inside parts as well. It runs great! Once again, it's a reman, not a rebuilt.

    So, long story short, I picked it up the first weekend of July and my oldest son has helped me (I play the role of supervisor) put it back together and refurbish everything.

    We plan to sell it once it's done (here again, bought it to save it, but not keep it). It has all of the original pollution control devices with the exception of the cats. This is so that if someone buys it in a state that has emissions testing, they won't have much to do to get it to pass.

    So, new computer, TPS, ac system (except for the compressor but including the condenser), 4 inch lift kit, tires (will buy 33's this week), powder coated wheels (black), had the seat repaired, re-dyed most of the interior, carpet, wiper-turn signal lever, light switch, light bulbs (had to undo the LED as I couldn't get the cheap Chinese ones to work that the kid had put in), exhaust, battery, alternator, distributor, plugs, wires, tranny clutch slave, Pioneer stereo, paint and vinyl decals. It has been converted to a Dana 60 straight front axle. I even managed to pick up a used, completely rust free tailgate. Those things are not easy to find.

    We've got one that we're finishing up on that is not for sale. That one is slick.

    1992 F150 Std Cab/Flareside 351w (393 stroker) with 433 hp/476 tq, but that was with a carb on the dyno. We're tuning it, so 450 hp/500 tq most likely. Auto tranny with push button 4WD (toughened)/ all the options as it was a Lariat.

    I don't have great pictures of this one yet. But, the interior is completely in, and the body is also together except for the hood.
    Sub-Zero

  29. #29
    Thanks for this site! Didn't know it was out there. I get recall info through the manufacturers themselves; and this site looks to be pretty complete and up to date.
    They even have the new Supra recall listed; that's pretty impressive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckmanite View Post
    https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-250/

    This above link/site is pretty handy for information about every car out there. IIRC, some of the newer 6.7 F-250 diesels had problems with the fuel pumps grind apart and contaminating the entire fuel system with metallic flakes as they have issues with low sulfur diesel (less lubrication). Here's a class action lawsuit link about those fuel pumps.

    https://www.classaction.org/ford-die...oblem-lawsuits

    Good luck.

  30. #30
    VERY cool looking rebuild. Nice work on the seats, that interior is going to look sharp.

    And if you got a reman engine with hologram stickers and consistent numbers internally and externally; it's possible you actually got a Ford factory reman motor. Don't remember if Jasper uses hologram stickers or not; but with even compression across the cylinders that sounds more like factory rebuild or even better-NOS crate motor.
    That's going to be one fun truck when it's together-I know the son will love playing with it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
    Thanks!

    5.0 with EFI (but not SEFI). It's the bank fuel injection system. I'm keeping it stock, and selling it.

    I had to save this one. It was in a pole shed for the last 14 years. The previous owner had it all apart; I mean the engine and the passenger compartments were bare. It came with two engines, both in the bed of the truck. One was high mileage (the original) and the other was supposedly a reman.

    We all know how this goes, right? But guess what; it was remanufactured. It (a 5.0) had very low mileage (the guy said about 13,000) and after I inspected it, I agree. The bearings and oil journals were perfect, it had great and even compression, and the oil pressure was great! It had a metal plate on the front of the block stating it was a reman, but not by who. It also had two holographic stickers (one on each head) that also matched the number on the plate. And, numbers painted on the inside parts as well. It runs great! Once again, it's a reman, not a rebuilt.

    So, long story short, I picked it up the first weekend of July and my oldest son has helped me (I play the role of supervisor) put it back together and refurbish everything.

    We plan to sell it once it's done (here again, bought it to save it, but not keep it). It has all of the original pollution control devices with the exception of the cats. This is so that if someone buys it in a state that has emissions testing, they won't have much to do to get it to pass.

    So, new computer, TPS, ac system (except for the compressor but including the condenser), 4 inch lift kit, tires (will buy 33's this week), powder coated wheels (black), had the seat repaired, re-dyed most of the interior, carpet, wiper-turn signal lever, light switch, light bulbs (had to undo the LED as I couldn't get the cheap Chinese ones to work that the kid had put in), exhaust, battery, alternator, distributor, plugs, wires, tranny clutch slave, Pioneer stereo, paint and vinyl decals. It has been converted to a Dana 60 straight front axle. I even managed to pick up a used, completely rust free tailgate. Those things are not easy to find.

    We've got one that we're finishing up on that is not for sale. That one is slick.

    1992 F150 Std Cab/Flareside 351w (393 stroker) with 433 hp/476 tq, but that was with a carb on the dyno. We're tuning it, so 450 hp/500 tq most likely. Auto tranny with push button 4WD (toughened)/ all the options as it was a Lariat.

    I don't have great pictures of this one yet. But, the interior is completely in, and the body is also together except for the hood.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


NOTICE: Timebomb2000 is an Internet forum for discussion of world events and personal disaster preparation. Membership is by request only. The opinions posted do not necessarily represent those of TB2K Incorporated (the owner of this website), the staff or site host. Responsibility for the content of all posts rests solely with the Member making them. Neither TB2K Inc, the Staff nor the site host shall be liable for any content.

All original member content posted on this forum becomes the property of TB2K Inc. for archival and display purposes on the Timebomb2000 website venue. Said content may be removed or edited at staff discretion. The original authors retain all rights to their material outside of the Timebomb2000.com website venue. Publication of any original material from Timebomb2000.com on other websites or venues without permission from TB2K Inc. or the original author is expressly forbidden.



"Timebomb2000", "TB2K" and "Watching the World Tick Away" are Service Mark℠ TB2K, Inc. All Rights Reserved.