Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Pot Bellied Pig Question.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 Pot Bellied Pig Question.

We ended up with one thru Rescue. I'm not real big on Farm Animals as a "Pet" but FL won't let me eat it.

Kinda cute in a strange way. Seems intelligent enough-uses the cats litter box and doesn't stink as much as the Cats when it goes.

Noisy and into everything-habitually dumps it's water bowk and, when it wants food, it is Demanding about it-annoying and humorous at the same time.

Here is a question-can it eat canned vegetables?

Figure it might be a good way to rotate out some old preps.

Worked out a deal with a local Grocer to pick up their old definct veggies-I know it can eat dehydrated because I fed it some dried stuff I was not wanting to tosss but not sure I wanted to eat.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

"My Shoes are too Tight. But it is ok as I have forgotten how to Dance."

I don't think canned veggies would hurt it. Darn things can eat most anything that doesn't eat them first. Knew some Koreans that had one, they even picked up road kill to feed it.

Hope ya don't wake up missing some fingers or toes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Green Co. View Post
    I don't think canned veggies would hurt it. Darn things can eat most anything that doesn't eat them first. Knew some Koreans that had one, they even picked up road kill to feed it.

Hope ya don't wake up missing some fingers or toes.....
    I know they *will*. Thing is I don't want it all fat or for it to develop health issues while we have it-if it was for eatin' I'd feed it everything I could find from canned veggies to the neighbors.

Those same Koreans fed mostly cheap dry dog food. Since most cheap dry dog food is mostly flavored cornmeal, it looked real good. Heard it was pretty tasty also.

Feed it corn, then off to the butcher for pot belly pigs taste just fine when smoked....

Texican....

They get quite large when full grown. IMO you were very foolish to rescue a farm animal for a pet.

Pigs are omnivores. They can eat anything you can... if something is moldy enough you won't touch it, it's not good for them either.

Oh, and they are VERY SALT SENSITIVE! They don't sweat, so sodium can build up in their system... their brain swells, snd you've got a dead pig. So skip Fritos, potato chips and other high sodium stuff.

Canned veggies are less calorie dense than many foods. They should be a good way to keep it from getting obese. I hope for your saked, it's actually a true, tiny pot bellied pig... many of them end up getting big.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Pigs are omnivores. They can eat anything you can... if something is moldy enough you won't touch it, it's not good for them either.

Oh, and they are VERY SALT SENSITIVE! They don't sweat, so sodium can build up in their system... their brain swells, snd you've got a dead pig. So skip Fritos, potato chips and other high sodium stuff.

Canned veggies are less calorie dense than many foods. They should be a good way to keep it from getting obese. I hope for your saked, it's actually a true, tiny pot bellied pig... many of them end up getting big.

Summerthyme
    The only way to keep them from getting big is food control.There are muh smaller breeds that are much better suited for pets.

What are you thinking? Take it back!! If it is from a legit rescue then you probably cant eat it. They get big. My friend and his ex wife used to raise them and the boars would break 200 lbs. Not as big as a normal pig but big enough and they can be very pushy. With all the medical issues you guys have you don't want a large pushy animal in the house. Has it been fixed? They are very smart and get bored and when they do they go through stuff to find things to do. His house pig would open drawers and take stuff out and root around in everything if it wasn't walked or let outside to play. They need exercise or they get very fat unless their diet is watched. Take the pig back and rotate your canned goods by eating them yourself.

ETA: Build a pen outside for it and let it root up some of those bushes you have taking over your yard.

My son raises them to eat. He can butcher them himself since they are small. They work for his family. When I weed the garden, I take it to the pigs. They love it and I enjoy the little critters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    They get quite large when full grown. IMO you were very foolish to rescue a farm animal for a pet.
    I agree. With the financial and health problems you guys are dealing with, adopting a pig - which will grow large and need even more food - is not a good move. This is especially true if it's a pet and will not be eaten.

Best
    Doc

Who said you couldn’t eat it?

Doesn’t mean you can’t trade it to a friend for something you need...ammo, dry goods, tank of gas, etc.

name it ( hog dog )
    Consilio Non Impetu (By wisdom, not by rashness)

Good eating. How do I adopt one?
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

I hope its name is "Babyback". It's a pig, just shaped funny. There are almost no dwarf potbellies, so yours will get big, and dangerous, and eventually destructive, as all pigs do. You've already noticed that it's intelligent. That will get worse. IMHO, make plans in secret to have it slaughtered later, feed it well (the veggies won't hurt it a bit as long as they're not salty), and wait for it to destroy something of FL's. Eventually it will be more hassle than pet, and then you can put up some good ribs, chops, and bacon.
    E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    My son raises them to eat. He can butcher them himself since they are small. They work for his family. When I weed the garden, I take it to the pigs. They love it and I enjoy the little critters.
    I've thought about doing this, but wasn't able to find enough information on raising them for meat (pretty much all the info I found was on pets). Wanted to know how many babies they usually have, how often, what kind of outdoor housing and fencing they need, how to feed them correctly for meat (and lard), health issues when raised outdoors, and so on. Also where to find breeding stock for raising them for meat. If anyone knows where to find that info, I wouldn't mind seeing it!

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by The Mountain View Post
    I hope its name is "Babyback". It's a pig, just shaped funny. There are almost no dwarf potbellies, so yours will get big, and dangerous, and eventually destructive, as all pigs do. You've already noticed that it's intelligent. That will get worse. IMHO, make plans in secret to have it slaughtered later, feed it well (the veggies won't hurt it a bit as long as they're not salty), and wait for it to destroy something of FL's. Eventually it will be more hassle than pet, and then you can put up some good ribs, chops, and bacon.
    That's a good plan, LOL!

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Squib View Post
    Who said you couldn’t eat it?

Doesn’t mean you can’t trade it to a friend for something you need...ammo, dry goods, tank of gas, etc.
    No one said it couldn't be eaten. In the original post, Sat said Fruitie wanted it as a pet and it wouldn't be eaten.

Best
    Doc

Howdy, Folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    I'm not real big on Farm Animals as a "Pet" but FL won't let me eat it.
    Sat - so you don't eat it.

Your 50 closest friends will enjoy the barbecue you have after they help out with the barn raising/re-roofing/rebuilding of the car/whatever you need.

In your neck of the woods, a Southern style pig picking is quite the shendig. I went to one in Wilmington where they had a 400 lb. pig roasted up - pretty amazing. I was 21 and still remember it - that's how good it was (I'm 53).

Put your best Texas BBQ skills to the test, and feed the hungry.

Speaking of which - I cannot imagine FL would object to you feeding a homeless shelter with this pig.

I think you've been spotted:

If you do end up walking this critter in the neighborhood, you need the appropriate headgear:
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Head View Post
    Good eating. How do I adopt one?
    I never said we were going to give it a forever home. It's a Rescue, like some of the Cats. We just take cARE OF THEM UNTIL PROPER HOMES CAN BE FOUND. tHAT SAID u DO WANT IT TAKEN CARE OF PROPERLY EITHER WAY. i DID NOT DEVOTE MY LIFE TO vETERINARY mEDICINE AND aNIMAL rESCUE TO MISTREAT A CRITTER.

As far as adopting one? No idea-they tend to be rare and expensive. Ours came thru our vet who knows the Mama of this one and the Mama was maybe 60lbs full grown-about the size and weight of our middle dog.

All I wanted was to find out if I could feed it some canned goods-I got a deal and really stocked up a few years ago-something like .10 a can for store brand and bought a hundred dollars worth.

Donald Shimoda-remember, I have no friends. This allows me to make decisions without Remorse.

That’s not rescue, it’s foster care.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    I've thought about doing this, but wasn't able to find enough information on raising them for meat (pretty much all the info I found was on pets). Wanted to know how many babies they usually have, how often, what kind of outdoor housing and fencing they need, how to feed them correctly for meat (and lard), health issues when raised outdoors, and so on. Also where to find breeding stock for raising them for meat. If anyone knows where to find that info, I wouldn't mind seeing it!

Kathleen
    Kathleen, keep an eye on Craigslist, Farm and Garden. They are often available for free. People have the grand idea of having a house pig and soon find out they've bitten off more than they can chew. We found two females ( sisters) for free. They have a half acre of woods on the hillside. They are full grown and about 60lbs. About the size of a Basset hound. We feed them Mazuri mini pig feed. They each get about a cup and a half, twice a day plus fresh veggies. We bought a little boar, El Chapo; ( he keeps getting out ) He's coming up to breeding age. We'll breed them in November. Gestation is three months, three weeks and three days. We promised that they would not be eaten, but you can be darned sure the offspring will be! We also have another. He's a neutered male. His name's Justice - previous owner was a cop. Kind of funny to have El Chapo and Justice on the same farm! Anyway, he was also free. We bought a little milk goat and she had been living with him for 4 years. She missed him so much, she wouldn't eat and was kind of depressed so we ended up having to go get the darned pig. ( she started eating as soon as he arrived!) He's nothing like the others. He's about 150lbs. Scary smart and listens to your every word. He free ranges during the day and goes in his pen at night. He can be quite pushy when he's hungry. I tell him "HOUSE!" and he takes off to his pen as fast as those little trotters will carry him, then he waits by his dish to be fed. I would never feed him even a scrap outside of his pen. It would be asking for trouble. We usually raise full sized pigs but decided to give these a try- and you can't beat free!
    Last edited by goosebeans; 10-22-2019 at 03:18 AM.

That’s not rescue, it’s foster care.
    So it's foster care-it was rescued from people who did not take care of it and it's parent/siblings. So it is also a rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Shimoda View Post
    Howdy, Folks!

Sat - so you don't eat it.

Your 50 closest friends will enjoy the barbecue you have after they help out with the barn raising/re-roofing/rebuilding of the car/whatever you need.

In your neck of the woods, a Southern style pig picking is quite the shendig. I went to one in Wilmington where they had a 400 lb. pig roasted up - pretty amazing. I was 21 and still remember it - that's how good it was (I'm 53).

Put your best Texas BBQ skills to the test, and feed the hungry.

Speaking of which - I cannot imagine FL would object to you feeding a homeless shelter with this pig.

I think you've been spotted:

If you do end up walking this critter in the neighborhood, you need the appropriate headgear:
    It's not going to be eaten-it's a Pet.

I would never wear those shoes.

Be kind of fun to train it like an attack dog-imagine the look on a Goblins face walking into something like that squeeling madly at them and the sucker is fast. Real fast.

Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn!

Christianity is the estranged descendent of a bizarre Jewish apocalyptic cult.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Quote Originally Posted by goosebeans View Post
    Kathleen, keep an eye on Craigslist, Farm and Garden. They are often available for free. People have the grand idea of having a house pig and soon find out they've bitten off more than they can chew. We found two females ( sisters) for free. They have a half acre of woods on the hillside. They are full grown and about 60lbs. About the size of a Basset hound. We feed them Mazuri mini pig feed. They each get about a cup and a half, twice a day plus fresh veggies. We bought a little boar, El Chapo; ( he keeps getting out ) He's coming up to breeding age. We'll breed them in November. Gestation is three months, three weeks and three days. We promised that they would not be eaten, but you can be darned sure the offspring will be! We also have another. He's a neutered male. His name's Justice - previous owner was a cop. Kind of funny to have El Chapo and Justice on the same farm! Anyway, he was also free. We bought a little milk goat and she had been living with him for 4 years. She missed him so much, she wouldn't eat and was kind of depressed so we ended up having to go get the darned pig. ( she started eating as soon as he arrived!) He's nothing like the others. He's about 150lbs. Scary smart and listens to your every word. He free ranges during the day and goes in his pen at night. He can be quite pushy when he's hungry. I tell him "HOUSE!" and he takes off to his pen as fast as those little trotters will carry him, then he waits by his dish to be fed. I would never feed him even a scrap outside of his pen. It would be asking for trouble. We usually raise full sized pigs but decided to give these a try- and you can't beat free!
    Thank you for the information! I'll keep my eyes open for free pigs!

Kathleen

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    How old does he butcher them? What is the yield on the carcass? I had looked at these a few years ago and decided not to mess with them because almost everything I could find was negative on raising them for meat. When I asked my buddy who used to raise them he thought I was nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by mecoastie View Post
    How old does he butcher them? What is the yield on the carcass? I had looked at these a few years ago and decided not to mess with them because almost everything I could find was negative on raising them for meat. When I asked my buddy who used to raise them he thought I was nuts.
    What little I know about them is that they were (and probably still are in their native land) scavenger pigs, feeding themselves on scraps and dropped fruit mostly. So they have a place, but wouldn't work economically as a commercial pig. I think they could still be useful in situations where they can pick up enough to eat without the owner having to buy a lot of food for them. Small, yes, but so are chickens and rabbits.

Kathleen

wickr ID freeholder45

Feed it veg if you have excess, but it will need a balanced diet, so there are other requirements to be met. Remember that canned vegetables do have a fairly high salt content - the associated problems mentioned above. Doesn't the foster org have guidelines for care and feeding? Would think they'd be fairly informative/demanding if they are a legit outfit. Do you know how old this thing is?

Good luck. About the last thing I'd want is a blooming pig in the house. The only fouler substance known to man past pigsh*t is catsh*t.

Howdy, Folks!

Be kind of fun to train it like an attack dog-imagine the look on a Goblins face walking into something like that squeeling madly at them and the sucker is fast. Real fast.
    They're also helpful in dealing with those pesky disposal problems...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3qy4Zv4snI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3qy4Zv4snI

Peace and Love,

Donald Shimoda

I don’t care how good a trainer one might be, they’ll never get a pig to do this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JdCvQDHhvY

18 seconds

Dennis-have you ever seen what a Pig can do?

FL asked me to post a couple of pics of 'Mimi'-named it after the woman from The Drew Carey Show who always called Drew "Pig!".
    Attached Images

Ahhhhhh, you are both so cute!
    Warning; pigs can be very demanding when they want attention and affection.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

“During the course of your life you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up!”

- President Donald J. Trump

I didn't ask about the feeding of canned veggies so people could start talking about eating it or how to get them to eat. Yeah, I know it is done but it's a bit of a Dick move to suggest eating someone's pet.

How would Dennis react if someone here was from China and suggested he eat them? Or your own pet?

Here is one that was 'Adopted' then eaten.

https://www.facebook.com/RastaRescue...40311292656557

Mimi's adorable! I hope she works out for you.

This is our crew. The girls are in the woods, Justuce has run of about 5 acres, and for now, El Chapo is in a 10 x 10 chain link dog pen as he was so tiny he could have squeezed through the squares in cattle panels. He's really grown this last month though.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by goosebeans View Post
    Mimi's adorable! I hope she works out for you.

This is our crew. The girls are in the woods, Justuce has run of about 5 acres, and for now, El Chapo is in a 10 x 10 chain link dog pen as he was so tiny he could have squeezed through the squares in cattle panels. He's really grown this last month though.
    That is pretty wild. Not sure I could hand;e that many myself. What are theri Temperments and such? Do they tend to go under fencing and such?

Seriously-Rescue/Foster/Whatever-no idea what to do with it but it seems to want to follow me around, sometimes it's tail wags and it squeels [[loudly]] sometimes not.

FL has/is doing a lot of reading on it but most of the pet pig stuff I've seen gloss over everything with Happy Crappy-Happy Crappy is nice but it don't prepare one for situations and issues.

If you want a smaller pig for butcher check out the Idaho Pasture Pigs, they're a mix of several breeds with a focus on keeping them smaller but still excellent foragers. I think they have some potbelly, kune kune and maybe some duroc, I'm not sure.

kune kune and potbelly pigs are a lard pig breed, back in the day when folks rendered the fat they were great, now folks want leaner pigs which the duroc is, and fast growth.

Haven't raised any myself, they were super over priced a few years back but they seem to be getting more normal priced now. A fad thing.

I've raised full sized pigs and tend to butcher at 300 lbs or a bit over..but I use a tractor to lift and move. Nothing says you can't butcher a pig any size you want regardless of the breed, they're great from 30 lbs to 300 lbs.

I probably wouldn't mess around butchering a potbelly former pet pig, it's probably older and past its prime and too fatty to make decent sausage anyways. Just end up with greasy mush.

We've found the girls to be very docile and quiet. They've made no attempt to get under the fence but if you look at the second picture you can see that we have tree trunks wired to the bottom of the welded wire so they can't lift the fence. But I've never seen them even mess with the fence. I think because they have such a large area, full of rocks and roots to grub around in all their needs are satisfied. We provided a wading pool for them to wallow in but they haven't shown any interest in it. Someone has taught them to roll over and they love to have their bellies scratched. All the coarse hay that the goats don't eat, we put in there and they gather it all up to make their bed.

The big guy could be a problem if we spoiled him. We don't hand feed him at all, and I'm careful not to put him up to be fed if he's squealing, butting the feed room door or following me around. I wait until he's off minding his own business before calling him to his pen. It would be really easy to set him up for failure and end up with a dangerous, pushy pig that would have to be put down. He spends his day wandering around the farm yard, wallowing in the creek, and sleeping in the driveway. He comes to be scratched but he isn't really into being petted. I put him up before feeding any of the other farm animals because I don't want him right behind my knees when I'm doing chores.

The little boar is a live wire. He and Justice squeal and "talk" to each other through the fence. He has a soccer ball that he chases around. He spends hours pushing it in and out of his water bowl.

I don't think I could handle having one in the house. My only real advice is to be mindful of what behavior you reward or you'll end up with a real pain in the neck. We're used to regular, full sized pigs that once they reach about 200 lbs, they're pushing down fences, ripping the place apart or taking off down the road. So to us, these are super easy. We're enjoying them a lot. As I said earlier, we don't have any intentions of eating them but the plan is to raise their offspring for butcher.

Howdy, Folks!

I don’t care how good a trainer one might be, they’ll never get a pig to do this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2JdCvQDHhvY

18 seconds

I have to admit - I truly didn't see that one coming. When I saw the initial screenshot, I was expecting something else.

I wonder if that's how the shopkeeper gets all of his inventory?

Peace and Love,

Donald Shimoda

Fruitie got attached real fast. Note in the pics Miss Piggie is sleeping with us (obviously not my idea). She is growing rapidly and already too heavy for Fruit to pick up, especially with the back, so at least I got my bed back. Mimi does know the word NO and that it means quit whatever she is doing, comes when called and is real gentle with the other pets. One of wifey's cats had a litter and the pig seems to understand they are babies. The kittens climb over her and even ride on her back and she puts up with it. Fruitie was approached about taking on a big male that came in to the rescue but got a clue from my lack of enthusiasm.