Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

  If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **



*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or


Prep Genrl Weekly Prep Thread: October 20 ~ 26, 2019
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 64
  1. #1

    Weekly Prep Thread: October 20 ~ 26, 2019

    Third time is a charm, I hope?

  2. #2
    Woo-Hoo! It worked!

    I lost the first two threads this morning; one popped up that I needed to log in again, and when I tried, the post disappeared; the second time the computer locked up. I've had a few problems with the site since the update, but it looks like I was at least able to get the thread started. I'll try to finish up the 'what I'm doing portion' a bit later!

    Take care all; have a great week!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Central Louisiana
    Posts
    9,062
    Quote Originally Posted by ReneeT View Post
    Woo-Hoo! It worked!

    I lost the first two threads this morning; one popped up that I needed to log in again, and when I tried, the post disappeared; the second time the computer locked up. I've had a few problems with the site since the update, but it looks like I was at least able to get the thread started. I'll try to finish up the 'what I'm doing portion' a bit later!

    Take care all; have a great week!
    Thanks for getting the thread started.

    Judy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    518
    I have my salve started. I was having trouble keeping my coconut oil liquid until I thought to put it on top of the hot water heater. It is not to hot with a trivit under it. I am making plantain salve and plantain with jewlweed.

    We are having the pole barn finished on the new property. We are having it closed in and sliding doors on two ends. I hate to spend the money, but it needs to happen. I sold a little more hay this weekend to.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Central Louisiana
    Posts
    9,062
    It's raining, praise the Lord, and my garlic that I planted recently has popped up through the soil. I planted it in our new raised beds.

    Judy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Georgia
    Posts
    5,031
    I didn't realize it was time to plant garlic.

    I simply cleaned the house. The wife was happy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,837
    My garlic dies back over the winter, then pops back out in the spring. I never have to replant it.

    Yes, thank God! It's finally raining! I'm thankful for what we're getting, and I hope we get enough to break our drought!
    Sherree

  8. #8
    I dehydrated tomatoes and also made some tomato powder for using in instant meals. Made a few instant meals for our emergency kits. And I ordered a couple dozen 15-ml bottles of sterile saline for the various medical kits.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    I didn't realize it was time to plant garlic.

    I simply cleaned the house. The wife was happy

    you guys down south should be able to plant green onions - should sprout first thing in the spring and have an early crop of greens >>> we can do it up north but it's chancy with a deep & long freeze and insulating under a leaf/mulch covering is important ...
    Illini Warrior

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Green County, Kentucky
    Posts
    11,030
    My week will be busy (as long as I can keep my back pain under control so I can do stuff!). Both my older daughters are coming this weekend, one from Ohio and one from NH, to help me shift furniture and take the cheap paneling off the walls so the electrician can get in here and do his stuff, followed by new windows and insulation, then sheetrock. I *think* I have enough money to get all of that done! So my week consists of getting ready for them to be here, and running a few errands, and figuring out where we are all staying over the weekend (probably in the travel trailer Friday night, then a motel room Saturday night so we can get cleaned up for church Sunday morning; it's Sunday night I'm not sure about yet. Probably back in the travel trailer, though.) I have to get the travel trailer leveled, and the propane tanks filled, and finish setting up the TT for camping.

    Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

    wickr ID freeholder45

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you guys down south should be able to plant green onions - should sprout first thing in the spring and have an early crop of greens >>> we can do it up north but it's chancy with a deep & long freeze and insulating under a leaf/mulch covering is important ...
    Speaking of greens. We grow turnips/greens and mustard greens here all winter long. Green onions, too. The turnips are sweeter after they have had a bit of frost on them.
    Sherree

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I have my salve started. I was having trouble keeping my coconut oil liquid until I thought to put it on top of the hot water heater. It is not to hot with a trivit under it. I am making plantain salve and plantain with jewlweed.

    We are having the pole barn finished on the new property. We are having it closed in and sliding doors on two ends. I hate to spend the money, but it needs to happen. I sold a little more hay this weekend to.

    Care to share your salve recipes, Digger?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Central Louisiana
    Posts
    9,062
    Today is the day I volunteer to give out commodities and pick my own up. I'm always curious each month to see what they give out, some months its a huge amount and some months not so much. However much it is I am always greatful for it.

    Judy

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Georgia
    Posts
    5,031
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    My garlic dies back over the winter, then pops back out in the spring. I never have to replant it.

    Yes, thank God! It's finally raining! I'm thankful for what we're getting, and I hope we get enough to break our drought!
    We have had decent rain all summer and this fall. Not sure what is going on elsewhere, but the wife says we were in a "flash drought" though with the puddles around the house I am not so sure.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Georgia
    Posts
    5,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you guys down south should be able to plant green onions - should sprout first thing in the spring and have an early crop of greens >>> we can do it up north but it's chancy with a deep & long freeze and insulating under a leaf/mulch covering is important ...
    I asked the wife about it and she says the starters she likes are just not available around here until spring. As we just ordered our spring seeds, we may just wait until next year before we order some from on line.

    Also, we did plant some new varieties of heirloom peppers this week. We used clear cups with the bottom cut out to make mini - greenhouses. Hope it works!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,837
    We received around an inch and a half of rain, yesterday! Hopefully, that will at least be enough to lift the "burn ban" that's in place. We'll see.
    Sherree

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,094
    If any of you live near a Sharp Shopper grocery store, you might want to make a run. Yesterday I stopped at one and found a great deal on canned ground beef. It’s Crider brand, 24 ounces for $1.49! Only contains beef and salt. I don’t know how the taste compares to the Keystone brand, but at that price I was willing to take a chance. They didn’t have many.
    I could make it cheaper!!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    518
    To make my salve, I first picked my herbs and dried them. I dry them in my office on brown paper laid in old bread racks. The herbs should be out of the direct sunlight while drying. It should retain its green color. What I read said water would ruin the salve. Even the water in the plants. That is why I chose to dry mine first. Next I just crumble the herbs into a jar an cover with just liquid coconut oil. You can use olive oil too. The oil needs to stay liquid to extract the herbs goodness. But you don't want to get the oil too hot as it will destroy the herds medicinal properties. That is what I read anyway. I plan to let mine sit a couple of weeks. Then I will strain it and add bees wax to keep it solid. I is suppose to be good for cuts and skin irritations. The second jar is the same but I mixed jewlweed in with the broadleaf plantain. It should be good for poison ivy.

  19. #19
    Thank you, Digger!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    518
    You are very welcome Renee T. Plantain is good for stings too. Just chew it and apply. There are several varieties of plantain. I know at least two grow here that are useful. Store dried herbs in paper sacks not plastic.

  21. #21
    The last 2 weeks have been busy - if not physically, it was mentally. We got the tenants out - they left the place cleaner than I thought it would be. We sold our cows and calves, so right now we have one old cow (that will go to the sale barn in a couple weeks), and 2 steers (that will go to freezer camp in December). When DH ran the numbers (with our small herd), we could make almost as much just renting out the property - and not have the risks associated with running livestock. While the decision was somewhat of a no-brainer, it is still so hard to give up something that has been a part of your life for so long.

    This last week, we went out of state to visit family. It was a nice visit, highlighted with games of corn hole, a hot cinnamon bear eating contest, and lots of family. We rented an RV so we could stay close, but have our own space. DH is brilliant when it comes to things like this.

    Back to work on Monday and back into the swing of things here and at work. I need to work on cleaning the house - our dog got fleas, and we have spent today bug-bombing the house, then vacuuming and wiping down things.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Georgia
    Posts
    5,031
    The wife harvested some more peppers. You will notice that the ratio of large to small is now very slanted to small. As the year progresses, the yields will drop further and they will be smaller. Total this year is now 6,879. Not a bad year at all. We had planned only 5,000 overall so we are pleased.
    Attached Images

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    6,781
    A local outlet store has received a shipment of food from a sams club. Wolf chili is $6 for a box of 6 cans; normally $1.50-$2 per can. Regular spam is $12.50 for 8 cans with 2022 expiration dates. This is undamaged and recently canned; spam lists 3 year best-used-by dates. Single cans of spam are almost $3 each normally and the 8-packs are $20 at sams. I'll go to the outlet store today to see if they have other good deals.
    Last edited by 1911user; 10-23-2019 at 11:24 AM.

  24. #24
    if you haven't seen it yet - it's the canned tomato sale time of the year >>> they'll be selling off last year's processed crop >>> my local store chain has the annual Red Gold sale started ....
    Illini Warrior

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    The wife harvested some more peppers. You will notice that the ratio of large to small is now very slanted to small. As the year progresses, the yields will drop further and they will be smaller. Total this year is now 6,879. Not a bad year at all. We had planned only 5,000 overall so we are pleased.
    Man! I bet all those peppers made lots and lots of salsa!
    Sherree

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Georgia
    Posts
    5,031
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    Man! I bet all those peppers made lots and lots of salsa!
    We have 2 1/2 cases of qts stored and an 8 qt pot full right now. That is addition to the 8 pints of canned chopped peppers. I need to add this new batch to the canned chopped peppers.

    Just think we are also doubling our growing space this year. We hope to hit as many as 12,000 per year of the heirloom variety.

    The reason, we are trying to build up enough to allow us to consume a quart per week all year long!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Central Louisiana
    Posts
    9,062
    Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    The last 2 weeks have been busy - if not physically, it was mentally. We got the tenants out - they left the place cleaner than I thought it would be. We sold our cows and calves, so right now we have one old cow (that will go to the sale barn in a couple weeks), and 2 steers (that will go to freezer camp in December). When DH ran the numbers (with our small herd), we could make almost as much just renting out the property - and not have the risks associated with running livestock. While the decision was somewhat of a no-brainer, it is still so hard to give up something that has been a part of your life for so long.

    This last week, we went out of state to visit family. It was a nice visit, highlighted with games of corn hole, a hot cinnamon bear eating contest, and lots of family. We rented an RV so we could stay close, but have our own space. DH is brilliant when it comes to things like this.

    Back to work on Monday and back into the swing of things here and at work. I need to work on cleaning the house - our dog got fleas, and we have spent today bug-bombing the house, then vacuuming and wiping down things.
    Bengal flea spray works miracles. I've never seen anything like it.

    Judy

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    We have 2 1/2 cases of qts stored and an 8 qt pot full right now. That is addition to the 8 pints of canned chopped peppers. I need to add this new batch to the canned chopped peppers.

    Just think we are also doubling our growing space this year. We hope to hit as many as 12,000 per year of the heirloom variety.

    The reason, we are trying to build up enough to allow us to consume a quart per week all year long!
    Now that's a plan!
    Sherree

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Georgia
    Posts
    5,031
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    Now that's a plan!
    Yep! At that point we add another item to our independence from grocery stores. SALSA! Yeah!!!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    Yep! At that point we add another item to our independence from grocery stores. SALSA! Yeah!!!
    We haven't done that with salsa, but with tomatoes. I have at least 52 quarts of home canned tomatoes in storage. That's one quart a week for a year. I use them a lot for homemade stews and soups. I'd rather have a tomato base instead of broth in most of them.
    Sherree

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Central Louisiana
    Posts
    9,062
    Worked at the senior center yesterday and picked up my commodities. The only canned foods were 2 cans a piece of pumpkin. No dried beans either, but we did get white rice. Dried potato flakes, which I store. Peanut butter, we have good supply of PB. Several bags of dried cranberries (DH can't eat those because of his blood thinner), but I like them. Raisins and we had not gotten raisins about a year, so I was glad to see them. 2- 32 oz bags of pistachios, I love them but DH does not. Two packages of cheddar cheese and two large blocks of American cheese, the cheese goes in the freezer. Since I'm on a diet I have to limit what I eat of the nuts and the cheese, but I can have a small amount rather than the almost whole package I was consuming in about 4 days.

    More pork sausage patties and pork loins. The pork comes in packaging that it looks like it was done for commodities, along with several other things.

    Fresh fruit, grapes and plums. I'm going to freeze the plums to (if I get the urge) can plum something this winter.

    so the commodities were generous, although I was disappointed there were not dried beans and more canned veggies, although we have a good store of these.

    I did stop at walmart to pick up more water. DH has cut back on his soda consumption and is drinking more gatoraid that he mixes with juice we get in a different commodities. We normally don't drink juice, I stopped drinking it years ago because I stopped consuming much in the way of processed foods.

    I noticed the other day we are short on green peas (DH will eat them but I won't) so I picked up a few cans. They had green peas with the pop top for 50 cents, but I paid a little more to get them with the solid lids. I avoid the pop tops because they don't store as long and the solid tops do.

    Thank you Jesus for the generosity we get in commodities.

    Judy

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    Worked at the senior center yesterday and picked up my commodities. The only canned foods were 2 cans a piece of pumpkin. No dried beans either, but we did get white rice. Dried potato flakes, which I store. Peanut butter, we have good supply of PB. Several bags of dried cranberries (DH can't eat those because of his blood thinner), but I like them. Raisins and we had not gotten raisins about a year, so I was glad to see them. 2- 32 oz bags of pistachios, I love them but DH does not. Two packages of cheddar cheese and two large blocks of American cheese, the cheese goes in the freezer. Since I'm on a diet I have to limit what I eat of the nuts and the cheese, but I can have a small amount rather than the almost whole package I was consuming in about 4 days.

    More pork sausage patties and pork loins. The pork comes in packaging that it looks like it was done for commodities, along with several other things.

    Fresh fruit, grapes and plums. I'm going to freeze the plums to (if I get the urge) can plum something this winter.

    so the commodities were generous, although I was disappointed there were not dried beans and more canned veggies, although we have a good store of these.

    I did stop at walmart to pick up more water. DH has cut back on his soda consumption and is drinking more gatoraid that he mixes with juice we get in a different commodities. We normally don't drink juice, I stopped drinking it years ago because I stopped consuming much in the way of processed foods.

    I noticed the other day we are short on green peas (DH will eat them but I won't) so I picked up a few cans. They had green peas with the pop top for 50 cents, but I paid a little more to get them with the solid lids. I avoid the pop tops because they don't store as long and the solid tops do.

    Thank you Jesus for the generosity we get in commodities.

    Judy
    You are truly blessed, Judy! I'm happy for ya.
    Sherree

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Central Louisiana
    Posts
    9,062
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    You are truly blessed, Judy! I'm happy for ya.
    Thanks, we are blessed, but we do have a small income which is why we qualify for this help. We are blessed in so many ways, one is that we can live on our small income, which we would not be able to do if we lived in town, any town.

    Judy

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    Thanks, we are blessed, but we do have a small income which is why we qualify for this help. We are blessed in so many ways, one is that we can live on our small income, which we would not be able to do if we lived in town, any town.

    Judy
    My mom gets something similar to what you describe each month. It's not based on a person's income. It's just for senior citizens, though. Thing is, she doesn't like a lot of the items she gets, so she gives them away to her church friends and sisters. I guess CaryC and I would qualify as senior citizens, but it's too far to drive to get it, and I'd rather let others have it that may need it more. Mom is disabled, so it does help her with her grocery shopping which is a big ordeal for her.
    Sherree

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Green County, Kentucky
    Posts
    11,030
    I should probably check to see if there's a food bank for low income people around here. We wouldn't qualify right now (because the money for the house repairs is still in the bank) but once the house work is done, we'll be back to living on daughter's SSI of less than $800/month. We manage, because we have no rent or mortgage, but a bit from the food bank would be helpful. We probably wouldn't be able to eat a lot of it, since we both have celiac disease, but years ago when we went to a food bank for a few months, if they had something gluten-free come in, they would set it aside for us.

    Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

    wickr ID freeholder45

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Central Louisiana
    Posts
    9,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    I should probably check to see if there's a food bank for low income people around here. We wouldn't qualify right now (because the money for the house repairs is still in the bank) but once the house work is done, we'll be back to living on daughter's SSI of less than $800/month. We manage, because we have no rent or mortgage, but a bit from the food bank would be helpful. We probably wouldn't be able to eat a lot of it, since we both have celiac disease, but years ago when we went to a food bank for a few months, if they had something gluten-free come in, they would set it aside for us.

    Kathleen
    This is not from a food bank, it comes through the local Council on Aging, I believe you have to be 60 to qualify. There is a food bank near me, but I don't qualify because I get commodities. We are very greatful for all we get, with your income for 2 people you should qualify for many things.

    And yes, no mortgage or rent is what enables us to manage on our income.

    Judy

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SE Georgia
    Posts
    5,031
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    We haven't done that with salsa, but with tomatoes. I have at least 52 quarts of home canned tomatoes in storage. That's one quart a week for a year. I use them a lot for homemade stews and soups. I'd rather have a tomato base instead of broth in most of them.

    We can not grow tomatoes here consistently. So that is off the plan for a couple of years. Congrats on being able to do so.

    I hope next year we can say so on citrus beyond lemons. Fruit in general is 2 to 3 years.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    This is not from a food bank, it comes through the local Council on Aging, I believe you have to be 60 to qualify. There is a food bank near me, but I don't qualify because I get commodities. We are very greatful for all we get, with your income for 2 people you should qualify for many things.

    And yes, no mortgage or rent is what enables us to manage on our income.

    Judy
    Ok, I see the difference in what you get and what Mom gets. She gets hers from a food bank sponsored by the local Methodist church in town. All she has to do is drive up to a loading area, and they load her with boxes of food items. How many boxes one gets is based on how many in the household.
    Sherree

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    North Central Louisiana
    Posts
    9,062
    We don't really eat much in the way of salsa, but we do like black bean and corn salsa, although the jar we buy gets moldy before we eat it all. I'm thinking I could can some of this salsa in smaller jars. The only thing I've ever canned that was a success was grape jelly. When DH and I met he had a lot of grape juice from his concord grapes in Illinois in the freezer that his first DW had strained and frozen. Not wanting it to go to waste we made two cases of grape jelly, that was almost 6 years ago and we just opened the last jar a little while back.

    Judy

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Green County, Kentucky
    Posts
    11,030
    Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    This is not from a food bank, it comes through the local Council on Aging, I believe you have to be 60 to qualify. There is a food bank near me, but I don't qualify because I get commodities. We are very greatful for all we get, with your income for 2 people you should qualify for many things.

    And yes, no mortgage or rent is what enables us to manage on our income.

    Judy
    I'll see if there's anything like that in this area. I'm 62, so might qualify.

    Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

    wickr ID freeholder45

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


NOTICE: Timebomb2000 is an Internet forum for discussion of world events and personal disaster preparation. Membership is by request only. The opinions posted do not necessarily represent those of TB2K Incorporated (the owner of this website), the staff or site host. Responsibility for the content of all posts rests solely with the Member making them. Neither TB2K Inc, the Staff nor the site host shall be liable for any content.

All original member content posted on this forum becomes the property of TB2K Inc. for archival and display purposes on the Timebomb2000 website venue. Said content may be removed or edited at staff discretion. The original authors retain all rights to their material outside of the Timebomb2000.com website venue. Publication of any original material from Timebomb2000.com on other websites or venues without permission from TB2K Inc. or the original author is expressly forbidden.



"Timebomb2000", "TB2K" and "Watching the World Tick Away" are Service Mark℠ TB2K, Inc. All Rights Reserved.