Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

MSM Scotty its gonna blow - Scientists Detect Movement on Major California Fault for First Time
+ Reply to Thread

Scotty its gonna blow - Scientists Detect Movement on Major California Fault for First Time

A major California fault has begun shifting, and may be capable of producing an 8.0 temblor, according to scientists.

The movement is “a result of this year’s Ridgecrest earthquake sequence destabilizing nearby faults,” according to a study released Thursday by scientists at the California Institute of Technology.

The article stated:

The period of seismic quiescence in Southern California was rudely interrupted by the Ridgecrest earthquake sequence in July 2019. Ross et al. mapped the slip sequences during the magnitude 6.4 and 7.1 earthquakes that shook the region. They found that ruptures of a few larger, but many smaller, faults occurred during both earthquakes. The Ridgecrest sequence calls for rethinking seismic hazard, as multifault ruptures are not usually considered when assessing seismic risk.
    In the past, there was no record of movement on the Garlock fault, which lies on the northern edge of the Mojave Desert, producing even a slight earthquake.

“But new satellite radar images now show that the fault has started to move, causing a bulging of land that can be viewed from space,” according to the Los Angeles Times.

Zachary Ross, assistant professor of geophysics at Caltech and lead author of the article, said the research may force scientists to rethink how they define faults and quantify seismic hazards.

“We can’t just assume that the largest faults dominate the seismic hazard if many smaller faults can link up to create these major quakes,” he said.

However, Los Angeles Times reporter, Ron Lin, tweeted Thursday that the chances of a larger earthquake being triggered by movement on the Garlock fault were slim.

Ron Lin

@ronlin

One plausible way for how the Ridgecrest quakes could trigger shaking on the Garlock fault, capable of a magnitude 8 quake, which could then in turn wake up the San Andreas. The chance of this actually happening is slim, but it is plausible. https://www.latimes.com/california/s...of-8-0-temblor … ��️by @gaufre

Also on Thursday, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced the launch of the nation’s first statewide earthquake early warning system, called the ShakeAlert.

“The ShakeAlert system that has been under development by the U.S. Geological Survey and science institutions for years will now push alerts to cellphones through an app developed by the University of California, Berkeley, and the Wire Emergency Alert system,” according to ABC 7.
    https://www.breitbart.com/environmen...gXkCdyOUpn3HF0
    🇺🇸T🇺🇸R🇺🇸U🇺🇸M🇺🇸P🇺🇸
    🇺🇸🇺🇸2🇺🇸0🇺🇸2🇺🇸0🇺🇸🇺🇸

Oh well.....
    If at first you don't secede, try, try again!

The major earthquake threat on the US West Coast has been, is now, and will always be the Cascadia Subduction Zone, the 700 mile long ocean floor fault that extends 50 miles offshore/ all the way from off of Vancouver Island in Canada, all the way to Cape Mendencino in California. All of the other earthquake faults are petty change. When the Cascadia goes IT WILL GENERATE A TSUNAMI THAT IS 50 FEET HIGH ALL THE WAY FROM CANADA TO CENTRAL CALIFORNIA, AND ALL THE WAY TO JAPAN. THE ACTUAL RICHTER RATING WILL BE AROUND 9.5 OR SO

As for California, eventually it will have a big quake 8 to 9 and slide into the Pacific. The Cascadia quake will likely take down Victoria, BC, Vancouver, BC, Seattle, Portland and some smaller Northern California towns.

All of the above areas are overdue for a major quake. By the way, the Cascadia Tsunami will be on the level with the Boxer Day, 12-26, 2004 Sumatra Tsunami and not much will be left west of I-5 from Canada to California.

Jerry Thompson has a good book on the Cascadia quake.

https://www.counterpointpress.com/dd...scadias-fault/
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

Yada - yada - yada - booooriiiing!! Have lived through all the major shaking events since the fifties. Yep, they sure are a wild ride but at least we don't have to deal with hurricane and tornado season EVERY FRIGGEN YEAR!! You can have a pretty good run out here before you have to deal with such disasters.....and you actually can build a home that looks totally normal without being a bunker that can withstand pretty much anything an earthquake can throw at you.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

California is way overdue for a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer Doug View Post
    As for California, eventually it will have a big quake 8 to 9 and slide into the Pacific.
    Sorry Doug.....not happening. Reality Check! The California coast and the coast of the Western US is an EMERGENT coast line that is sliding UP and OVER the Pacific Plate. Which is why there is so much volcanic activity along this section of the Ring of Fire. The Pacific Plate is diving under the North American plate heating up in the process thus creating the volcanic activity to the landward side of the fault. The movement of the North American Plate to the west is at about the same speed as finger nails grow. Unless there's a major hiccup along the way. Then we get some nasty shaking.

So sick and tired of people saying California will fall into the ocean.....NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. Far more likely that Washington D.C. will slide off into the Atlantic, which would be a considerable improvement in my opinion. YMMV
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

ShadowMan doesn't the prospect of Governor Newscom sliding into the Pacific Ocean excite you? Ah, come on and admit it.

Whatever happens in California, it is commonly stated by the "experts," that the major cities, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego are going to, sooner or later, going to look like San Francisco did in 1906, only worse, or the 1989 World Series Quake.

I'm afraid neither San Francisco, or LA can take a "mega quake," in the 9 plus range, much less a "big boy," in the 9.5 range. considering the largest earthquake was a 9 plus off of Chile and we had an 8 plus in Alaska back in 1964, the potential for some really big, 9 plus, quakes are there.

The 1700 Cascadia Quake comes to mind also.

Eventually, the pressure will be released and KABOOM!
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url

Doug, Oh there's going to be a BIG ONE eventually, however unless there are huge surface displacements like what happened in 1964 Alaskan earthquake (that was a 9.2 magnitude) it will be freeway overpasses and older buildings dropping like flies. Most of the new stuff and retrofitted buildings will probably survive.

The biggest problem will be lack of utilities and DRINKING WATER. Transportation will be toast with the loss of the freeway system. But even so, the damage will not look like anything we've seen lately in those Hurricane struck Caribbean and Atlantic islands that looked like a friggen nuke took them out!

As for that ASSHAT Newsom....the sooner he and his ilk get booted out of government the better. Politics on the Left Coast has ALWAYS been crooked and corrupt since day one. The one shinning light was Reagan, the rest have all been political hacks and ripoffs.

And quite frankly.....the loss of San Francisco, Sacramento and Los Angeles will be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT to the state. Even better when the kiss ass liberals run screaming and crying from the state for fear of ANOTHER big one, then perhaps the REAL CALIFORNIANS will get their state back. One can only hope.

Hey I know that highway...25 was it, curves east and tries to lure drivers into a tunnel that is really just an oddly placed tree casting shadows?

Or gee, perhaps many roads out west have faults in evidence eh?

Shrugs. What can you do about any of it? Raise taxes even higher and make earthquakes illegal?
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

No, the loss of huge swaths of Americans and illegal Americans is not a good thing.
    It's a thing for many of us who still live there by necessity, or love those who do.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    Doug, Oh there's going to be a BIG ONE eventually,

The biggest problem will be lack of utilities and DRINKING WATER. Transportation will be toast with the loss of the freeway system.
    And think of ALL of that chaos with a bunch of illegals running around in the sanctuary cities, all of the rats, typhus, leprosy, strung out homeless whack-jobs and needles everywhere.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

As long as this new activity doesn't set off the New Madrid in a big way, I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    And think of ALL of that chaos with a bunch of illegals running around in the sanctuary cities, all of the rats, typhus, leprosy, strung out homeless whack-jobs and needles everywhere.
    You forgot crap in the streets, but in any case you do not need the earthquake. That is happening now!
    🇺🇸T🇺🇸R🇺🇸U🇺🇸M🇺🇸P🇺🇸
    🇺🇸🇺🇸2🇺🇸0🇺🇸2🇺🇸0🇺🇸🇺🇸

Quote Originally Posted by medic38572 View Post
    You forgot crap in the streets, but in any case you do not need the earthquake. That is happening now!
    LOL, true.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

Doug, Oh there's going to be a BIG ONE eventually, however unless there are huge surface displacements like what happened in 1964 Alaskan earthquake (that was a 9.2 magnitude) it will be freeway overpasses and older buildings dropping like flies. Most of the new stuff and retrofitted buildings will probably survive.

The biggest problem will be lack of utilities and DRINKING WATER. Transportation will be toast with the loss of the freeway system. But even so, the damage will not look like anything we've seen lately in those Hurricane struck Caribbean and Atlantic islands that looked like a friggen nuke took them out!

As for that ASSHAT Newsom....the sooner he and his ilk get booted out of government the better. Politics on the Left Coast has ALWAYS been crooked and corrupt since day one. The one shinning light was Reagan, the rest have all been political hacks and ripoffs.

And quite frankly.....the loss of San Francisco, Sacramento and Los Angeles will be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT to the state. Even better when the kiss ass liberals run screaming and crying from the state for fear of ANOTHER big one, then perhaps the REAL CALIFORNIANS will get their state back. One can only hope.
    AMEN! RANAF.ORG. Recall NEWSOM. Spread the word
    Excuses are the tools of the incompetent. ~ Thirsty Rollins

I wonder if they expect help out of the ham radio people?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Reliable View Post
    I wonder if they expect help out of the ham radio people?
    Surely even they realize those folk are essential...but they will be there TCOB, regardless, i am certain.

Yada - yada - yada - booooriiiing!! Have lived through all the major shaking events since the fifties. Yep, they sure are a wild ride but at least we don't have to deal with hurricane and tornado season EVERY FRIGGEN YEAR!! You can have a pretty good run out here before you have to deal with such disasters.....and you actually can build a home that looks totally normal without being a bunker that can withstand pretty much anything an earthquake can throw at you.
    From Eisenhower on here a Golden State Native here.

People seem to think our faults are a Teflon coated diamond-titanium composite.

A big quake will come. Freeway passes will fail, refineries will burn, port cranes will topple, and power will be out for months as the Antifa types are air-dropped aggressive psycho-active drugs by Charlie’s industrial aircraft. But the OODA loop will restore and fix along the way.

The West coast is like a big HEPA filter in that manner.

So sick and tired of people saying California will fall into the ocean.....NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. Far more likely that Washington D.C. will slide off into the Atlantic, which would be a considerable improvement in my opinion. YMMV
    I don't think it will be California falling into the ocean as much as it maybe the Pacific ocean falling into California.

The Native Americans who lived in Death Valley, CA had legends of the ocean filling the valley and marooning a sailing ship in the valley somewhere when the waters receded. Also early Spanish charts show the peninsula of Baja California being an island not a peninsula. The valley is almost 300 feet below sea level.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer Doug View Post
    The major earthquake threat on the US West Coast has been, is now, and will always be the Cascadia Subduction Zone ...
    Actually it's not if you're talking specifically about Portland and/or Seattle, both of which have major faults under them that if they go (even at a much-lower-than-9.0 magnitude) will actually be worse for both cities than the CSZ. The coast, however, is a different story.

I cannot lie....let it rip and take take the entire state under the sea. Sucks for those of you who live there but the stupidity and immorality created and oozing from that state has poisoned this nation in ways that can never be forgiven. Buh-bye. Good riddance.

I would submit for consideration that Pete Wilson was also a shining light in addition to Reagan. Props 187 and 209 were passed during his tenure....

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    Actually it's not if you're talking specifically about Portland and/or Seattle, both of which have major faults under them that if they go (even at a much-lower-than-9.0 magnitude) will actually be worse for both cities than the CSZ. The coast, however, is a different story.
    A major earthquake in Portland would be an unimaginable disaster. Lots of bridges, overpasses, masonry buildings; the impact would be very bad, especially in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjeep View Post
    A major earthquake in Portland would be an unimaginable disaster. Lots of bridges, overpasses, masonry buildings; the impact would be very bad, especially in the winter.
    Every government earthquake disaster plan I've seen takes it pretty much as a given that they'll be able to use whatever fuel they need. Except that Portland gets its fuel mostly via pipelines from the refineries on Puget Sound and the massive fuel storage tanks in Portland are built on fill where liquefaction is practically a given. It is an interesting observation that the 1700 CSZ event and the really big New Madrid events all happened during winter ...

One night a Mexican lady came up to me and our security guard for the business asking us "what's that noise" oh brother was she in for a shock when we explained what it was and that Alabama has not 1 but 2 tornado seasons.

I had a friend that married an English woman, she decided he wasn't worth the stress of tornado season and moved back to England!
    Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds!

Actually, Mississippi has two tornado seasons each year, but for us, we can have tornadoes at any time of the year. Had one hit on Christmas Day in a nearby town several years ago. Lost a few lives that day.
    Sherree

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    As long as this new activity doesn't set off the New Madrid in a big way, I'm good.
    More probably the New Madrid will set off the West Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by naegling62 View Post
    One night a Mexican lady came up to me and our security guard for the business asking us "what's that noise" oh brother was she in for a shock when we explained what it was and that Alabama has not 1 but 2 tornado seasons.

I had a friend that married an English woman, she decided he wasn't worth the stress of tornado season and moved back to England!
    LOL I know that's a fact jack, errr naegling.

And I'm with Meemur, just watching New Madrid.

And all the scientist state they are all overdue.

I know a big one will be bad for the west coast, was watching the Giants game when the one for …...Northridge (?) blew. Collapsed/pancaked those roads, bridges, watched that one family over and over run off that bridge, or rather into the fallen part. I'm not a CA fan, but won't wish that on nobody.
    "Wise Men Still Seek Him"-bumper sticker

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

I'm more worried about the mid-continental rift letting loose than I am the NMSZ.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I’m worried about the New Madrid Fault.

Right!

East of The Democratic Peoples Republic of Tucson
    [QUOTE=Doomer Doug;7444742]
    As for California, eventually it will have a big quake 8 to 9 and slide into the Pacific.
    QUOTE]

DD, Thanks for all you do to keep our hopes up!

Randy in Arizona

Participating in a gun buy back because you believe that the criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you believe that the neighbors have too many kids.

Arguing with a libtard is like playing chess with a pigeon...it'll just knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    Every government earthquake disaster plan I've seen takes it pretty much as a given that they'll be able to use whatever fuel they need. Except that Portland gets its fuel mostly via pipelines from the refineries on Puget Sound and the massive fuel storage tanks in Portland are built on fill where liquefaction is practically a given. It is an interesting observation that the 1700 CSZ event and the really big New Madrid events all happened during winter ...
    brings new meaning to the words the earth was heaving during the cold/thaw cycles.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

A few points: WITHIN HOURS OF MY POST ON HOW LETHAL A CASCADIA SUBDUCTION QUAKE WOULD BE WE HAVE A 4.6, 120 MILES OFF OF "ROUGHLY," COOS BAY, OREGON. Actually, the depth was 6 miles and 132 miles off shore. Finally, for the Tsunami the Pacific Northwest Coasts are looking at a Sumatra, December 2004 Boxer Day one, ie 20 to 50 feet high, moving at speed, like 20 mph. Next, the type of damage cities like Portland, Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver, BC would see would be like the 1985 Mexico City Earthquake, with the damage to the big, modern buildings. It is the length of the shaking, in time, like 3 to 5 minutes, along with the length of the wave, and what type of liquid impact on the soil you get. Big modern buildings are designed to deal with quick, sharp, 1 to 2 minute quakes, and have issues when you get a longer quake due to the vibration in the building itself, as long as the internal sway.

THE LINK IS HERE.

https://katu.com/news/local/46-magni...f-oregon-coast

4.6-magnitude earthquake recorded off Oregon coast

by KATU NewsMonday, October 21st 2019

ANDON, Ore. - Seismometers recorded a 4.6-magnitude earthquake about 120 miles off the coast of Oregon on Monday morning.

The quake shook at 6:47 a.m., a little over 132 miles west of Coos Bay, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The earthquake had a depth of more than 6 miles.

4.6 Quake off of Coos Bay, Oregon10-21-2019

Hmm, ended up with a repost here, which happens from time to time.

A few more points here. The truly LETHAL AREA for Puddle Town is the area near the St. John's Bridge which is where the fuel storage tanks are located, INCLUDING A HUGE NATURAL GAS TANK, MULTIPLE OIL TANKS, AND SEVERAL MANUFACTURING AREAS WHICH INCLUDE TANKS OF SOME SERIOUS LEVEL ONE BREATH AND YOU ARE DEAD STUFF.

I worked security out there back in the late 1980's, in a little shed right next to the one billion? whatever Natural Gas Tank, and drove around making rounds. The train tracks also go right by there, like 20 feet away from the shed I was in, AND YOU ROUTINELY HAVE CHEMICAL TANK CARS PARKED THERE.

So, yeah, a big quake, means the potential for a big gas cloud, and that means St Johns, which is just over the bridge, gets hosed, and then it floats upstream, remember the Willamette flows NORTH TO THE COLUMBIA, WHERE YOU WOULD LIKELY HOSE VANCOUVER OR ALL THE HOUSES IN THAT AREA.

Has anyone ever graphed the time of year that big earthquakes occur? Because the big Good Friday earthquake in Alaska in 1964 was in late winter, so that's another winter 'quake.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    Has anyone ever graphed the time of year that big earthquakes occur? Because the big Good Friday earthquake in Alaska in 1964 was in late winter, so that's another winter 'quake.

Kathleen
    Most seem to happen during the winter to late spring is what I've observed. Boxing day quake the day after Christmas, and then the Fukushima quake was in March o 2011.

The Loma Prieta earthquake hit the Bay Area on Oct 17, 1989 at a 6.9, saw it happen on live tv watching the Giants play the A’s in the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
    More probably the New Madrid will set off the West Coast.
    Do you have any historical examples of that happening?