Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

SNOWFLAKE Atlanta Braves Tomahawk Chop gets the AXE - Offends Cherokee Pitcher
+ Reply to Thread

Atlanta Braves Tomahawk Chop gets the AXE - Offends Cherokee Pitcher

No foam tomahawks on seats at Braves ballpark after comments by Cards' Helsley; other changes expected

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...anchor_item_13

ATLANTA — When fans arrived at SunTrust Park for Game 5 of the National League Division Series, one of the most important playoff games for the Atlanta Braves in more than a decade, there was something missing from their seats Wednesday, something subtle.

The foam tomahawks that had been placed at each seat before games 1 and 2 of this series against the Cardinals were not there this time.

Rookie Ryan Helsley's comments after Game 1 about how he found the Braves' 'Tomahawk Chop' chant "a disappointment" and "disrespectful" to his Cherokee heritage prompted the Braves to consider how they promote the cheer and how they could alter their game-day practices as a result of Helsley's thoughts.

Two officials at the ballpark confirmed that the foam tomahawks were not at the seats in response to Helsley's comments and the conversations the team had as a result of them.

There will be other changes during the in-game entertainment and fan interaction involving the "chop" that will be different from games 1 and 2.

"We're sensitive to it," a Braves spokesman said.

In Game 1 of the NLDS, Helsley entered the game with one out in the eighth inning. The Braves had encouraged their fans to join in the "Tomahawk Chop" chant several times throughout the game -- including just before the Braves' lineup was announced -- and did so again in the crucible of that late-inning moment. The cheer was not directed at Helsley, and it's doubtful Atlanta was even aware of his deep, family ties and his place in Cherokee Nation.

Helsley said he was not aware of the chant as he warmed up on the mound and only later heard it was going on. But he had heard it earlier in the game, and he was prompted by that experience to do research later that night about its origin and use in Atlanta.

The day after Helsley's comments appeared in the Post-Dispatch and other outlets, the Braves issued a statement that said they would "continue to evaluate how we activate elements of our brand, as well as the in-game experience." The changes Wednesday underscore that comment.

Helsley got a lot of feedback from his comments, some negative and some vulgar. He also said Wednesday that he received a lot of supportive comments, suggesting that it was important that he, having been on the mound during the chant, discuss his opinion.

He did not hear personally from Atlanta officials.

Helsley imagines that he will hear from the crowd during Game 5 and is unsure what will greet him if he pitches in the game.

After this story was posted, Atlanta issued a statement to the media about the changes: "Out of respect for the concerns expressed by Mr. Helsley, we will take several efforts to reduce the Tomahawk Chop during our in-ballpark presentation today. Among other things, these steps include not distributing foam tomahawks to each seat and not playing the accompanying music or using Chop-related graphics when Mr. Helsley is in the game. As stated earlier, we will continue to evaluate how we activate elements of our brand, as well as the overall in-game experience. We look forward to a continued dialogue with those in the Native American community after the postseason concludes."

Atlanta's officials have considered what they'll put on the scoreboard and the role the stadium's urging for cheers could be a part of that. Of course, the "chop" can still develop organically through the crowd, as it did when it first became part of the playoffs and ballpark atmosphere in Atlanta.

"I respect Ryan's opinion. All he's doing is trying to support his heritage," Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said. "He's sincere about his heritage and the thoughts behind it. I don't think he's got anything malicious toward it. I think he was just honest about it. And I respect that completely. ... Hels is a pro. And the hope would be, look, he was speaking out of sincerity. He wasn't speaking out of maliciousness or anything like that.

"So people can take that in whatever context they want to take it in and how they react is how they react," the manager concluded. "But I'm sure Ryan will pitch equally good regardless."

Yeah that's it, take out ALL of the Native American names from sports and all kinds of things due to a bunch of whiners.

Years down the road, there will be even more whiners that complain that all things "Native American" have been forced out of modern society, and that people have forced to forget.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

Looks like another “woke” sport is biting the dust. I stopped watching baseball after the strike in 89 or 90 I believe? Pretty much done with all sports now.
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

fully HALF of the names of US states and FULLY HALF of the names of US state Capitals are NATIVE AMERICAN WORDS. (26 states names and meanings: https://thoughtcatalog.com/james-b-b...as-your-state/)

This carries to say that probably about half of the towns, rivers, parks, and other things are native american names as well.

To the victor goes the spoils. War/ CONQUEST is about taking everything the winner finds useful. Native americans were VERY familiar with this conquest lifestyle and what was at stake.

Did the Cherokees invent the tomahawk chop? or the hand axe mounted to a stick? Highly unlikely, since this tool predates cherokees. So they appropriated it from Euro-asiana earlier, less fortunate people without even a credit to the invention? very bad form.

btw, thanks for the tomahawk, kayak, parka, mukluks, jerky, corn, squash, and tobacco. I do believe I will continue to use them with agusto.
    If I was born in Kenya, I'd be President by now.

*My fingers are slysdexic. Damn.*
    They're, there, their. There. I know the difference. My mind is miles and miles of thought ahead of my fingers and my fingers are peons. peons do sh!tty work.:D

Corn? What is corn?

We call it Maize.

When you say it you have to say it like you're a non-English speaker - yunno - a little non-uniform inflection and intonation.

This so you can be sure the "virtue signal" is transmitted properly.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

What a Pathetic wimp. He does great dishonor to his ancestors.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    What a Pathetic wimp. He does great dishonor to his ancestors.
    My thoughts exactly. If the Cherokees have gotten so delicate it makes it hard to have hope for the rest of the country!

Shadow
    "18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness… 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened… 24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts…" Romans 1:18-32

He must have E warren in his family tree some where.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

Boy you just can't go anywhere and be yourself nowadays. Then they want to charge you an arm and a leg to enjoy a few hours in their building. Cuckflakes, what a drag on freedom.

“Unname” all sports teams. ALL sports teams, everywhere, not just in the US. Replace the names with numbers.

“The Houston 1356’s”

Central Illinois..halfway between here and there.
    Ha! No foam tomahawks, no Tomahawk Chop and look what happens. Cards beat Braves 13-1 to advance.
    Go Cards!
    Needs more cowbell.
    "The Constitution only gives people the right to persue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin
    Proud member of fly-over country

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post
    No foam tomahawks on seats at Braves ballpark after comments by Cards' Helsley; other changes expected

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...anchor_item_13

ATLANTA — When fans arrived at SunTrust Park for Game 5 of the National League Division Series, one of the most important playoff games for the Atlanta Braves in more than a decade, there was something missing from their seats Wednesday, something subtle.

The foam tomahawks that had been placed at each seat before games 1 and 2 of this series against the Cardinals were not there this time.

Rookie Ryan Helsley's comments after Game 1 about how he found the Braves' 'Tomahawk Chop' chant "a disappointment" and "disrespectful" to his Cherokee heritage prompted the Braves to consider how they promote the cheer and how they could alter their game-day practices as a result of Helsley's thoughts.

Two officials at the ballpark confirmed that the foam tomahawks were not at the seats in response to Helsley's comments and the conversations the team had as a result of them.

There will be other changes during the in-game entertainment and fan interaction involving the "chop" that will be different from games 1 and 2.

"We're sensitive to it," a Braves spokesman said.

In Game 1 of the NLDS, Helsley entered the game with one out in the eighth inning. The Braves had encouraged their fans to join in the "Tomahawk Chop" chant several times throughout the game -- including just before the Braves' lineup was announced -- and did so again in the crucible of that late-inning moment. The cheer was not directed at Helsley, and it's doubtful Atlanta was even aware of his deep, family ties and his place in Cherokee Nation.

Helsley said he was not aware of the chant as he warmed up on the mound and only later heard it was going on. But he had heard it earlier in the game, and he was prompted by that experience to do research later that night about its origin and use in Atlanta.

The day after Helsley's comments appeared in the Post-Dispatch and other outlets, the Braves issued a statement that said they would "continue to evaluate how we activate elements of our brand, as well as the in-game experience." The changes Wednesday underscore that comment.

Helsley got a lot of feedback from his comments, some negative and some vulgar. He also said Wednesday that he received a lot of supportive comments, suggesting that it was important that he, having been on the mound during the chant, discuss his opinion.

He did not hear personally from Atlanta officials.

Helsley imagines that he will hear from the crowd during Game 5 and is unsure what will greet him if he pitches in the game.

After this story was posted, Atlanta issued a statement to the media about the changes: "Out of respect for the concerns expressed by Mr. Helsley, we will take several efforts to reduce the Tomahawk Chop during our in-ballpark presentation today. Among other things, these steps include not distributing foam tomahawks to each seat and not playing the accompanying music or using Chop-related graphics when Mr. Helsley is in the game. As stated earlier, we will continue to evaluate how we activate elements of our brand, as well as the overall in-game experience. We look forward to a continued dialogue with those in the Native American community after the postseason concludes."

Atlanta's officials have considered what they'll put on the scoreboard and the role the stadium's urging for cheers could be a part of that. Of course, the "chop" can still develop organically through the crowd, as it did when it first became part of the playoffs and ballpark atmosphere in Atlanta.

"I respect Ryan's opinion. All he's doing is trying to support his heritage," Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said. "He's sincere about his heritage and the thoughts behind it. I don't think he's got anything malicious toward it. I think he was just honest about it. And I respect that completely. ... Hels is a pro. And the hope would be, look, he was speaking out of sincerity. He wasn't speaking out of maliciousness or anything like that.

"So people can take that in whatever context they want to take it in and how they react is how they react," the manager concluded. "But I'm sure Ryan will pitch equally good regardless."
    As a person whose Grandfather was FULL BLOOD CHEROKEE, I personally AM VERY OFFENDED BY FOOLS LIKE THIS who think--somehow--that imitating Indian (THERE I SAID it) culture is automatically "demeaning" to that culture.

The English word "brave" was applied to male Indian warriors BECAUSE they were JUST THAT---BRAVE.

The name "Braves" therefore is a COMPLIMENT to the warrior-spirit of the American Indians---a COMPLIMENT, not an insult.

Here's what that damned fool caused tonight.

HUNDREDS of Atlantans---many who'd been Braves fans for YEARS---were SO offended at not being able to even CHEER in the traditional way for their team (even the "arm-bending" tomahawk chop was discouraged and NONE of the "chant" was allowed) that MANY SIMPLY SAID TO HELL WITH IT AND WENT HOME.

ON THE FIFTH NIGHT OF THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

THAT is how ANGRY they were.

And this DISRUPTION -- of both team camraderie AND the CLOSE relationship the Braves have always had with their FANS----proved ENOUGH of a distraction to TOTALLY UNDERMINE the Braves' morale tonight.

CHEROKEE, SMEROKEE----

"Helsley" doesn't sound like a Cherokee name to me.

I believe this "rookie" Cardinal either did this, or was ENCOURAGED to do this--ON PURPOSE to destroy morale tonight----in both the FANS and the PLAYERS.

Sure did work.

Great going, you IDIOTS who own the Braves.

You DESERVE what you got tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I do feel sorry for the poor guys, though....)
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Tell ya'll another thing---

In Gwinnett County, just NE of Atlanta, they had their OWN "Braves" baseball team, which they called the "GWINNETT BRAVES."

Then some "woke" person decided that was wrong and we had a "re-naming" contest.

You WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW AWFUL some of the finalist names for the team were.

One was "BUTTONS"---for Button Gwinnett, the signer of the Constitution for whom the County was named.

Another was the name of a FISH---the STRIPER---common to Lake Lanier, created by the Buford Dam on the Chattahoochee (another great Cherokee word--it means "laughing waters") in Gwinnett.

So they called them the "Gwinnett Stripers" (supposed to be pronounced with a long "i")

BUT---BEHIND the backs of the "oh we are SO pleased with how virtuous we are" media and county officials---

the everyday folk LAUGH at the name---and call them the Gwinnett STRIPPERS.

May as well be.............
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

It didn't stop the fans they were all chopping with their arms and doing the chant too. If that pitcher is so offended he doesn't need to be there he should leave. I'm surprised he didn't take a knee he must be a part of the look at me tribe.

I call this The Principle of the Minority Veto. Any Minority that really, really feels deeply about something over rules the majority every time.

It won't work the other way though. Try that and you will be accused of 'white privilege'.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

Need to change their name from the Braves to the Pussies

People need to stop going to pro games and supporting these ingrates. Minor leagues I have no problem with, but the pros have gone over the ledge a long time ago.