Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENER PG&E Power Outages: How to find out they are coming and deal when they do
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Removing local generating capacity and relying upon a grid system hasn't helped the situation either.

PG&E's maintenance issues with old infrastructure in earthquake country was exemplified by the San Bruno gas main explosion a few years ago (that involved the failure of a 30-inch diameter gas pipe that was over a hundred years old), but they are not alone. Recall the long thread covering all the maintenance, and construction defects, at Oroville Dam, including the allowed to deteriorate hydro power capability of that dam. That's all on the state. When the fanatic environmenlists, and those using them to their benefit are taken out of the equation, you're left with funds being more directly siphoned out of the process instead of being laundered through court actions.

Besides the cause and effects of these "preventative" measures, there is also the question of how smoothly things will go when they put the power back on.

As it was earlier poined out, this and other "issues" in California are those of a Third World Country, and I would suggest one standing on the trap door leading to a failed state, particularly when you consider that the California economy by itself is the 5th largest in the world. The Cliff Robertson speech in the end of "Three Days of the Condor" comes to mind...

Higgins:
    It's simple economics. Today it's oil, right? In ten or fifteen years, food. Plutonium. Maybe even sooner. Now, what do you think the people are gonna want us to do then?

Joe Turner:
    Ask them?

Higgins:
    Not now - then! Ask 'em when they're running out. Ask 'em when there's no heat in their homes and they're cold. Ask 'em when their engines stop. Ask 'em when people who have never known hunger start going hungry. You wanna know something? They won't want us to ask 'em. They'll just want us to get it for 'em!
    https://www.quotes.net/movies/three_...e_condor_11593

This is the situation being created on the ground outside of the deep blue bastions, and if these "rolling blackouts" cascade into those metro areas, the post-hurricane situation in Puerto Rico that was cherry picked by the MSM will be on view for all to see without the excuses available from a natural disaster.
    Last edited by Housecarl; 10-09-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added link to the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Double_A View Post
    OK, you're joking right? How much have you heard regarding this?

Do you know about massive fires over last few years
    caused by power lines
    So rather than electric line maintenance they decide to just shut down all the power for a week? And if conditions do not improve the power might be down for any unknown length of time.
    That electric company must be licensed by the state, after the first sign of trouble years ago they should have had a daily fine imposed until such time all maintenance issues were fixed.
    All western states have very similar conditions as California so why is it only California shutting off the electric power?
    Why is it that only the electric lines in California start fires?

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    A week long power outage for people living in higher elevations where they see deep arctic conditions for 3 month out of the year is not funny if they have no 19th century style backup for heating and cooking and water will be a big issue. Take it to three weeks and it will come to a point dead people will start flooding the coroners office to the point of overwhelm.
    The mountain dwellers effected by this power outage, are use to this kind of thing simply by living in the mountains, every winter. These people generally will do fine.
    I'm off to the coast..

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    So rather than electric line maintenance they decide to just shut down all the power for a week? And if conditions do not improve the power might be down for any unknown length of time.
    That electric company must be licensed by the state, after the first sign of trouble years ago they should have had a daily fine imposed until such time all maintenance issues were fixed.
    All western states have very similar conditions as California so why is it only California shutting off the electric power?
    It is because the state is run by the same bunch of left wing nuts that are both pushing the DNC off a cliff and are running the "slow coup" against Trump. Yes everything can, will and does involve eventually politics.

>Southern Calif has done this for a few years now, this is a first for Northern Calif.
    >Because Calif environmental regs has made it a bigger issue.
    >No doubt some PG&E people will secretly smile, after being hit with several tens of billions of losses for stuff the state has tried to pin on them.
    in any circumstances the state is looking for people they can mandate pay to remediate a problem instead of it coming out of their pocket, even when the
    state has partial culpability.
    >This is no way absolves PG&E they have been slow to adopt new tech and changes that would allow a more pin-point approach to target more specific areas
    to power down instead of a broad swath of customers.
    I'm off to the coast..

Quote Originally Posted by Housecarl View Post
    Removing local generating capacity and relying upon a grid system hasn't helped the situation either.

PG&E's maintenance issues with old infrastructure in earthquake country was exemplified by the San Bruno gas main explosion a few years ago (that involved the failure of a 30-inch diameter gas pipe that was over a hundred years old), but they are not alone. Recall the long thread covering all the maintenance, and construction defects, at Oroville Dam, including the allowed to deteriorate hydro power capability of that dam. That's all on the state. When the fanatic environmenlists, and those using them to their benefit are taken out of the equation, you're left with funds being more directly siphoned out of the process instead of being laundered through court actions.

Besides the cause and effects of these "preventative" measures, there is also the question of how smoothly things will go when they put the power back on.

As it was earlier poined out, this and other "issues" in California are those of a Third World Country, and I would suggest one standing on the trap door leading to a failed state, particularly when you consider that the California economy by itself is the 5th largest in the world. The Cliff Robertson speech in the end of "Three Days of the Condor" comes to mind...

https://www.quotes.net/movies/three_...e_condor_11593

This is the situation being created on the ground outside of the deep blue bastions, and if these "rolling blackouts" cascade into those metro areas, the post-hurricane situation in Puerto Rico that was cherry picked by the MSM will be on view for all to see without the excuses available from a natural disaster.

You know Carl the homeless here will do better than the "normal" will
    I'm off to the coast..

The mountain dwellers effected by this power outage, are use to this kind of thing simply by living in the mountains, every winter. These people generally will do fine.
    Yes, as long as they don't have to deal with any active fires. The urbanized hill areas surrounding SF Bay are a whole different problem. If it was only an issue of electricity alone it wouldn't be pretty, but better than a serious earthquake. But these power outages being literally down the road from the high crime areas are going to make for the potential for looting and vandalism local LEOs are going to be hard pressed to deal with. I was talking with a guy last night who works for a venue in the East Bay Hills, and even though they brought in a refrigerated truck for their food, they've been having on going break in issues already. This is just going to make it all that much more worse.

Here in Tracy there is a very visible population of homeless running around at all hours that's actually in some ways worse than the area I work at in the city of Santa Clara, to the point that with my physical limitations I'm more inclined to run errands at night after work in Fremont, Milpitas or Santa Clara than in Tracy, particularly when fueling my car at night. If the power does go down and stay down in these more urban areas I expect things to get a lot more "interesting" than normal.

I haven't read the whole thread, and just got back to civilization and decent cell service a bit ago, but got a text from my friends in N. Cali that their power is out and estimates are for minimum of 3-4 days. They are in a rental situation right now while they are beginning a home construction on their land, but I know they plan a whole house genny and solar power, plus propane because the power infrastructure and delivery is not at all reliable.

I don't get PG&E. WTH is their deal? Here (Minnesota...LAND of trees, brush, swamps, ice storms, wind storms, blizzards) the power companies have a rotating 5-7 year routine right-of-way maintenance schedule...they clear brush and trees that could even remotely threaten the lines...including anything close enough to touch lines or fall on lines. PG&E isn't doing their job. Period.

You know Carl the homeless here will do better than the "normal" will
    Quite so. And those that are just tending their own gardens aren't going to be an issue in this situation. It is that small percentage that aren't that will be the problem well beyond their numbers, particularly when added to the paniced sheep of the general population when the lights go out, they have no cable, no way to cook food and all the other things that disappear when the power goes off, like the traffic lights not working.

“I see a lot of bitching and complaining about PGE and power shut-offs, but I don’t see anyone calling for comprehensive investment in alternative energy sources that would make us less reliant on big power brokers.....quit your whining especially climate deniers”

The problem with alternate/renewable sources is they are even more reliant upon a stable grid. Solar is useless at night, wind can drop out and stay calm for hours or even days. They must have quick starting backup sources at least their size. That usually means gas turbines. Don’t even think about batteries, hugely expensive and short duration. The problem now is not generating capacity or it’s “emissions”, but the grid itself and the years of neglect. That won’t be solved by sunbeams and butterfly farts.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    It’s a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    I’m not afraid of dying...I just don’t want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Again PG&E has never been in the tree trimming, etc business. Yes they do have equipment and a few guys that do that sort of thing, but forever they have subbed 99% of the jobs out, to real land clearing tree trimmers.

California is so over regulated any tree trimmer has a $20k a year registration fee just on one big truck MINIMUM! The sub contractors have to have a full time employee or more just to stay compliant with all of the environmental laws, but thats not the problem.

It's finding competent contractors to get the job done! They taxed and regulated the loggers out of the country. The ones that remained to be tree trimmers make great money working for the power companies, but every year it gets harder to comply and whats so great about making a hundred million when you have to pay ninty nine million to stay compliant and pay the taxes, etc..

Plus every year the mandated liabilities of getting sued or frivolous lawsuits gain in claims and new mandated liabilities.

Uhg.... forgetaboutit...

I live in the Central Sierras in Calaveras county and our power was shutoff at 12:30am. I put my ice packs in the fridge then. I just started my generator and will have it on for about 6-8 hours per day.

It is 67 and we have NO winds. Humidity is about 30%. We are forecast to have winds around 15mph overnight with possible gust up to 30mph overnight. All are conditions currently and forecasted do NOT meet the guideline for PGE to have shutoff power for our area. But, yet our little minions in our local .gov just do whatever they are told by the state.

Regarding our water, in the 26 years I have lived here we have never had an issue with water during our many power outages, some outages have lasted as long as 8 days. Now our our water company is crying "Conserve, conserve or we'll not be able to supply water because of the power outage." Another example of our local quasi .gov utility being a good little state minion instead of actually looking at history and telling the truth.

Maybe in some areas that are being shutoff or will be shutoff the conditions do warrant the shutoff. IMHO, the conditions in our area do not meet the threshold for a "Red Flag Warning" per state guidelines nor do they warrant a "Public Safety Power Shutoff." There is no one to complain to as the media is just .gov minions and the Public Utilities Commission is run by for Utility company executives.

I know the answer is to move out of CA but in my current condition, I simply cannot yet.

First off, let me say that I have the utmost sympathy for those on this board who are stuck in California right now. And sympathy for those family members of other board members who are in the state and can't or won't leave. It has to suck to try to whack some sense into people who just don't get it.

With that being said, for the rest of the nitwits who live in this state, congratulations. WELCOME to the GREEN NEW DEAL. You all have gone from 2019, to 1819 in literally the blink of an eye. Hugo Chavez and others would be SO proud of you. NO refrigeration, NO water, NO gasoline. NO power. I can guarantee that the districts that the two senators live in, Fienstein and that asshat Harris, will never see so much as a blink in power. Same thing with Pelosi and the rest of the congresscritters that come from california. Might as well hunker down next to the walls of the Pelosi compound, maybe if you are lucky Queen Nancy will toss over some scraps. You asshats out there voted for this over the years, NOW you can reap what you sew. My give-a-damn is beyond busted. If the power companies had been whacked in the head to maintain their infrastructure you morons wouldn't be in this mess. Oh and when the "dindunuffens" decide to "move on up" to those areas that have power, enjoy the cultural shock!! It's going to be friggin epic.

The rest of us can watch and take notes on the total dissolving of a civilization.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria. As true NOW as it was true THEN!!

I bet the police in the dark areas are not very happy.

It happens elsewhere as well. I saw it happen in Estes Park, Colorado about 6 or 7 years ago. A power line hit a tree branch on a very dry and windy day and I watched 12 very nice older homes and cabins go up in flames in 18 minutes. Had there not been a very large fire going less than 40 miles a way with a lot of fire fighting air equipment the whole town could have gone up in flames.

I am wondering if this power outage isn't a way to force people into alternative power sources since they put the law into affect about solar on all new builds. I've lived off grid on solar and absolutely loved it. We had a huge battery bank and weren't bothered with cloudy days. I currently have a lot of solar panels in my garage, but since DH died I haven't got a clue as to how to put another system together.

Kirstin Adams-Bimson
    @kirstinbimson
    East Bay Municipal Utility District :: Power shutoff impacts to water operations

kittylover:. Theoretically, your section of the system can be in fine working order, and in perfect conditions, yet need to be shut down to take other elements offline. Presumably in similiar fashion as the way we flip our power off at the house when were only working on something in one room.

CT i share your frustrations, it is indeed hard to watch some of the stuff, especially knowing its always the most innocent who suffer first, and the most. But tis America, where a lil thing like self determinism is valued. None of our business what choices other folk make, and kidnapping remains illegal, sooo.... don't like whatcha see, turn the channels.

God
    @Mason_Mcvey
    ·
    12m
    THERES PEOPLE SHOOTING AT PGE WORKERS BC OF THE OUTAGE. YALL ARE Bleeping CRAZY

just an interesting observation imo.

Jonathan Shensa
    @Jonathanshensa
    ·
    25m
    Cant believe
    @PGE
    shut our power off on the holiest Jewish Holiday of the year. Would they do it on #Christmas or #Easter? Sounds antisemitic to me!
    Thank you
    @PGE4Me
    for ruining the holiday! #PGEpowershutdown
    #boycottpgne #gosolar #Sausalito
    #Sausalitopoweroutage
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    She couldn't keep her colors inside the lines, so she drew new lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    “I see a lot of bitching and complaining about PGE and power shut-offs, but I don’t see anyone calling for comprehensive investment in alternative energy sources that would make us less reliant on big power brokers.....quit your whining especially climate deniers”

The problem with alternate/renewable sources is they are even more reliant upon a stable grid. Solar is useless at night, wind can drop out and stay calm for hours or even days. They must have quick starting backup sources at least their size. That usually means gas turbines. Don’t even think about batteries, hugely expensive and short duration. The problem now is not generating capacity or it’s “emissions”, but the grid itself and the years of neglect. That won’t be solved by sunbeams and butterfly farts.
    This is not true IF you are willing to adjust to your resources and not expect the resources to adjust to you. Can you run a modern, all-electric home on solar cheaply? No. On the other hand, you can give almost any home a modest solar/battery system that will run several lights and maybe a fan and a computer. With intelligent design, you can increase your system as funds allow. Further, there's no good reason to limit yourself to only solar or wind power. Get an industrial quality (diesel) genny for the longer sunless or windless days. After Katrina, I lived on on 12 volts and 115 VAC inverter power for three months. Was it great? No, but I lived like a king compared to those who had no electricity. I was able to have lights, a freezer, microwaved coffee in the morning and even a 5000 BTU air conditioner going from time to time. I was able to run my well pump and electric tools, too. Now we have much greater alternative energy resources.

It would do most people a lot of good to build a small system and cut their teeth by trying to live off it for a day or three.

Best
    Doc

Per radio news:

1 mil customers out.

60mph winds tonight.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

ABC-10 Sacramento, CA live coverage.

(Lots of commercial breaks)

PG&E to shut off power to millions in California in an attempt to avoid wildfires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoeQ2UirFE
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

They have just created the perfect opportunity for "bad guys" to wreak a significant amount of havoc on the grid. The primary deterrent for tampering with power lines is getting zapped into eternity.

Any malcontent can now steal as much copper or aluminum as they want, or simply cut line and poles, even the multiKV ones. Best case, the downed lines are located and restoration is delayed by days or weeks. Worse case, grid is energized, resulting in fires and electrocutions.

Tesla owners in California get a warning to charge their cars before the power goes out

By Melissa Locker
    10.09.191:31 pm
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90415333...power-goes-out

Pacific General & Electric (PG&E) is cutting power across large swaths of Northern California, including the Bay Area, in a drastic bid to prevent wildfires.

Now Tesla is warning people that before they settle into their outage outrage, they should really charge up their electric cars.

You see, electric cars are great options—except when there is no way to power them up. To be as proactive as PG&E, after hearing the news of the impending power cut, Tesla jumped into action, sending out an in-car alert to the dashboard display warning owners to charge their vehicles fully ahead of the outage.

As Electrek points out, most Tesla owners don’t charge their vehicles to 100%, because it’s a bit of a time suck, and the batteries last such a long time that it’s not usually necessary—until the power company cuts the electricity, that is. Of course, Tesla just so happens to have another gadget that can help in the case of an emergency power outage—its PowerWall. Before the lights go out, Tesla is activating the “Storm Watch” feature on its PowerWall to store excess electricity before things go dark.

Don’t worry about the folks at Tesla HQ, though. According to PG&E’s outage map, they will be just fine as the company’s offices fall right outside the outage zone.

Seems appropriate to share this golden oldie by a quirky Bay Area group from the 60's, The Goodtime Washboard Three; I owned the 45 of their song, "Oakland", and this was the flip side:

(A three-minute long song, "Don't Blame PG&E, Pal" with vintage ads & and relating it to Diablo Canyon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmtL0ykF95c

https://www.wired.com/story/why-the-...-big-tech-hqs/

Huge swaths of California were without power on Wednesday after the (recently bankrupt) utility PG&E—whose downed power lines caused last year’s Camp Fire—preemptively pulled the plug on hundreds of thousands of customers. The unprecedented move, designed to reduce the risk of wildfires, plunged more than 500,000 homes in 20 counties (and counting) across Northern and Central California into darkness shortly after midnight, and plans are in place to cut power to over 250,000 more. In total, the estimated number of people that could be left without electricity is upward of 2 million (a “customer,” in PG&E-speak, can be an apartment complex or other kind of multiunit building). Though the scope of the blackout is expansive, blanketing the Bay Area, chunks of the region remain conspicuously absent from outage maps: The seats of power for nearly every major tech giant.

map with tech company logos
    COURTESY OF GOOGLE
    It’s far from a coincidence, says Michael Wara, head of the climate and energy policy program at Stanford University’s Woods Institute. If anything, it’s by design. He is one of the state wildfire commissioners, which are tasked with examining issues related to fires tied to utility infrastructure, like the one caused by PG&E in 2018.

PG&E instigated the blackouts in response to dangerous weather conditions—strong seasonal winds primed to dry out vegetation and stoke wildfires—that could jostle power lines and other equipment, sending sparks onto flammable vegetation below. But not all power lines are created equal.

“What PG&E is doing is blacking out the kind of low voltage wires that deliver power to homes,” says Wara. “But, typically, big commercial customers, like a tech headquarters ... tend to be located closer to the bulk transmission system [and] the high voltage lines, which are much less impacted by this outage.”

The types of power lines traditionally seen dangling overhead in residential areas and neighborhoods are considered more of a wildfire risk because of their proximity to the ground and increased likelihood of being surrounded by trees and other forms of vegetation, he explained. Bulky high-voltage transmission lines—which are designed to carry large amounts of energy to large industrial users and local distributors—just aren’t vulnerable in the same way. Wara says they tend to be built to higher standards, making them less prone to wind damage.

“The lines in the South Bay where the tech headquarters are, like in Mountain View and Santa Clara County, are [surrounded by] wide open space—there's basically no vegetation. It's flat,” which makes it an even lower fire risk, Wara explained. “The mountains in between Silicon Valley and the ocean, [however,] are covered in forests, extremely high risk, and covered in very valuable real estate.” Hence, the blackout.

When it comes to keeping the lights on, campuses like Apple, Google, and Facebook have an additional leg up over their neighbors, as they can afford to develop their surroundings—and the underlying infrastructure—to fit their needs.

Take Tesla, for example, which looks like whatever the power outage version of gerrymandering would be:

Tesla HQ owes its strange proximity to outage zones to the particular way it was developed, Wara says. Though the area was once ranchland, today it is surrounded on one side by large industrial campuses, like the Electric Power Research Institute, and on the other by small residential streets with significantly older infrastructure.

Because Tesla was developed as a tech manufacturing campus, additional connections to high-voltage transmission lines were likely also built to ensure it had access all the power it needed, Wara says. The more low-key residential parts of the surrounding area didn’t get the same treatment—as no one’s two-bedroom home is sucking up enough energy to be retrofitted with high-voltage connections—so they stayed hooked up to the normal, much more risky grid.

“So you get these really weird patterns that have to do with the time when land use was changed and the original purpose for which the transformation occurred,” Wara says. Looks like the tech industry’s thirst for power is more than metaphorical.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jward; 10-09-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

just listened to a bit of Ice Age Farmer on YouTube.....he's in Kali...….according to his info PG&E is run by elitists/deep state cabal...…...IMO this is a beta test for civil response to despotic control...if Kali's people won't fight back......then it'll escalate...….all these "wildfires" certainly have ramifications no one could foresee unless THEY WERE CREATED FOR THIS PURPOSE IMO...…..
    Sapphire

myopically challenged

Additional article & timeline at source....
    Posted for fair use....
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/californ...mpression=true

. estimated times of power restoration in the next 24 hours on its new website, which it has not yet unveiled
    Live Updates: Next round of outages to hit Bay Area between 7-10 p.m.
    Lauren Hernández, Roland Li, Alejandro Serrano, Anna Bauman | on October 9, 2019

:34 p.m. UC Berkeley will resume classes on Thursday if there is no power outage by early morning: The school said all staff members were expected to report to work if there is no outage, but told managers to be flexible if employees were dealing with outages at home.

7:30 p.m. Next round of outages to hit between 7-10 p.m.: PG&E said Bay Area communities can expect to lose power between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.

7:26 p.m. PG&E says a total of 750,000 customers will likely be without power: The total count was reduced by 40,000 households and businesses from an earlier estimate.

6:44 p.m. PG&E to post estimated times of power restoration: The utility said at a news conference that it will begin posting estimated times of power restoration in the next 24 hours on its new website, which it has not yet unveiled.

I think it is absolutely bizarre that a first world country would intentionally shut off the electric power to a million of its citizens.
    in a normal world it would be bizarre. consider, a handful of D/commies running for D nomination and quite a number of other congresscritters are advocating green-whatever. no electric, no gasoline, etc. totally nuts, and the govt of commiefornia is...what?

the un and other uberelites are pushing 2030 agenda, sans electric, sans selfsufficiency, submit!

IMO, this is NOT a coincidence and has nothing to do with fire/weather. This is social engineering fully planned and being implemented.
    Add the commiefornia power company execs and BoD to the hunting list.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPPHIRE View Post
    just listened to a bit of Ice Age Farmer on YouTube.....he's in Kali...….according to his info PG&E is run by elitists/deep state cabal...…...IMO this is a beta test for civil response to despotic control...if Kali's people won't fight back......then it'll escalate...….all these "wildfires" certainly have ramifications no one could foresee unless THEY WERE CREATED FOR THIS PURPOSE IMO...…..
    1000%

28. Quote Originally Posted by bluelady View Post
    Seems appropriate to share this golden oldie by a quirky Bay Area group from the 60's, The Goodtime Washboard Three; I owned the 45 of their song, "Oakland", and this was the flip side:

(A three-minute long song, "Don't Blame PG&E, Pal" with vintage ads & and relating it to Diablo Canyon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmtL0ykF95c
    Whoa that's a coincidence, or maybe not? isn't it a national pastime to bitch about politics and HATE the power company?
    I'm off to the coast..

No electricity, no gas pump.
    No electricity, no water processing, or improper water processing.
    No electricity, no atypical refrigeration in the dark home.
    No electricity, no for traffic lights.
    No electricity, no hospital ICU’s.
    No electricity, no IPOD-IPHONE docking charger

Clyde’s guest on the radio show Ground Zero is laying out the electric war on citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    This is not true IF you are willing to adjust to your resources and not expect the resources to adjust to you. Can you run a modern, all-electric home on solar cheaply? No. On the other hand, you can give almost any home a modest solar/battery system that will run several lights and maybe a fan and a computer. With intelligent design, you can increase your system as funds allow. Further, there's no good reason to limit yourself to only solar or wind power. Get an industrial quality (diesel) genny for the longer sunless or windless days. After Katrina, I lived on on 12 volts and 115 VAC inverter power for three months. Was it great? No, but I lived like a king compared to those who had no electricity. I was able to have lights, a freezer, microwaved coffee in the morning and even a 5000 BTU air conditioner going from time to time. I was able to run my well pump and electric tools, too. Now we have much greater alternative energy resources.

It would do most people a lot of good to build a small system and cut their teeth by trying to live off it for a day or three.

Best
    Doc
    Point made, I was referring to the generic grid rather than people like us. The public thinks adding renewables adds green
    power to the evil dirty grid. There have been some huge blackouts in large wind systems that go bad. Australia
    England, maybe Germany come to mind. If you’ve been forced to retire your baseline coal or nuclear power, replacing with renewables, much fun will be had by all.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    It’s a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    I’m not afraid of dying...I just don’t want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

interested in the New Improved website PG&E are said to have ready for release, and any hard #s on actual incidents attributable to these power down situations. Hospitals open? Crime spike? Birth rates increase projected, accidents etc etc. All ive seen, and I m not paying attention, is one utility worker shot or shot at... jewlz

Latest developments on the PG&E shut-off, up to 11:10 p.m. Wednesday. Click here for the latest news story:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-14505854.php

11:10 p.m. National Weather Service warns of strong winds: The weather service’s Bay Area office said winds at Mount St. Helena reached 60 mph with gusts of 70 mph, and winds at Mount Diablo reached 54 mph with gusts of 68 mph at 11 p.m. Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by glennb6 View Post

IMO, this is NOT a coincidence and has nothing to do with fire/weather. This is social engineering fully planned and being implemented.
    This ^^ is the only thing that makes sense.

in a normal world it would be bizarre. consider, a handful of D/commies running for D nomination and quite a number of other congresscritters are advocating green-whatever. no electric, no gasoline, etc. totally nuts, and the govt of commiefornia is...what?

the un and other uberelites are pushing 2030 agenda, sans electric, sans selfsufficiency, submit!

Add the commiefornia power company execs and BoD to the hunting list.
    Yes, this is social conditioning, much like the practice school shooter drills. They're raising a state full of Greta's in California.
    Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds!

Here's the link to the live PG&E outage map.https://m.pge.com/#outages Zoom it out so you can see the whole state.

All the schools, hospitals, police stations, fire stations, water treatment and pumping stations, cell towers, 911 centers, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. that have to be included in those outages. Completely irresponsible.

But..it IS California. Good grief.
    Last edited by WalknTrot; 10-10-2019 at 08:56 AM.

I'd closely observe people's reaction to this for the duration. Think of it as an experiment as to how people either adapt or lose it and which groups.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Here's the link to the PG&E outage map.https://m.pge.com/#outages

All the schools, hospitals, police stations, fire stations, water treatment and pumping stations, cell towers, 911 centers, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. that have to be included in those outages. Completely irresponsible.

But..it IS California. Good grief.
    That was one of my questions. So it is a localized disaster affecting nearly a million people. This is going to be interesting if it lasts more than a week.

Just think about what this will cost restaurant owners alone. Even the food in our church foodbank has to be kept at a certain temp. all the time.

I can only imagine all the red tape, ruin and hoops the restauranters will be put through. I guess the Californa solution is to give it all away for free.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPPHIRE View Post
    Yep, I heard that too, re: the globalists in charge of PG&E. They are running a test all right...all a set up. It will escalate either way.
    https://safeg.net/home A Safe Alternative to Harmful 5G Wireless

Matthew 10:17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues; 18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. 19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.

This is a fully contrived artificial (sort of) disaster brought about because a small group of mafia communists can control a public utility company, influence and control govt, and believes in some totally nuts agenda to be enforced on the public. The financial loss, possible loss if lives, loss of productivity is going to be huge and I cannot see any financial benefit possible in any way to the commie mafia, so this is a pure control and power play (no pun) requiring the screwing of the people.

If a thief came into your store and demanded the till and everything in your safe... if a robber broke into your house to steal your valuables... if you were armed and had the opportunity to defend yourself and your property, what would you do? Yep, of course you would rightfully so.

What is the difference between a thief, a robber, and what some commie mafia are doing in CA ? This is not politics, this is not about fire hazard or weather, or some bureaucrats enforcing some hairbrain law, this is direct theft at the least, and first decree murder if anyone dies as a result.

Duck season should be starting very soon.

This is a fully contrived artificial (sort of) disaster brought about because a small group of mafia communists can control a public utility company, influence and control govt, and believes in some totally nuts agenda to be enforced on the public. The financial loss, possible loss if lives, loss of productivity is going to be huge and I cannot see any financial benefit possible in any way to the commie mafia, so this is a pure control and power play (no pun) requiring the screwing of the people.

If a thief came into your store and demanded the till and everything in your safe... if a robber broke into your house to steal your valuables... if you were armed and had the opportunity to defend yourself and your property, what would you do? Yep, of course you would rightfully so.

What is the difference between a thief, a robber, and what some commie mafia are doing in CA ? This is not politics, this is not about fire hazard or weather, or some bureaucrats enforcing some hairbrain law, this is direct theft at the least, and first decree murder if anyone dies as a result.

Duck season should be starting very soon.
    Well... maybe not quite. This is maybe more like PG&E is attempting to protect itself from being destroyed by lawsuits, after being hogtied for years by the environmentalists, not allowing them to do the vital routine maintenance on its lines to prevent fires when the predictable dry, hot and windy conditions come.

The real blame for the fires, and hence for these outages, rests squarely on the greenie-weenies (and the Commies behind them... most envirowhackies are simply stooges and brainwashed useful idiots) who have stopped almost all intell8gent forest management for the past two generations.

They are now reaping what they sowed, and I hope they're sitting in the dark cursing the spotted owl.

Summerthyme