Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENER PG&E Power Outages: How to find out they are coming and deal when they do
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Head View Post
    Just spoke with family in the affected area. The word is be prepared to be without power for one to five days. Short notice for that information to that particular population. Doubtful the majority can make a half a day. This is the new world of instant gratification and you can have it all with a simple app on your cell phone. Very interesting scenario unfolding. Take careful notes and be very prepared in the affected areas.
    I noted this on another reply, but the radio is saying the power can be off for up to 3 weeks per the power company and governor.

I agree, this is an opportunity to learn a great deal. It will help all of us understand what we need to do to improve our own preps. Keep us posted!!

Looks like a set-up for another rate hike/tax or some other fleecing of the California sheep.

Cause a problem, then take more money for a fix that doesn't work.

"We'll pay anything to avoid this again...BAAAA-BAAAA"
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Looks like a set-up for another rate hike/tax or some other fleecing of the California sheep.

Cause a problem, then take more money for a fix that doesn't work.

"We'll pay anything to avoid this again...BAAAA-BAAAA"
    I thought years ago that Cal will start back up the CCCs and tax the tax payers (especially employers) a special save the trees tax. Then have the inner city kids clear brush and deadfall, etc.. you know stuff the private loggen industry use to do and pay taxes while doing it.

Friends in Berkely report power is about to be shut off to their part of the East Bay (Berkeley Hills).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Just read on Next Door that power in Vacaville has been shut off. Don't know if it's the entire city or select areas.

Three weeks without power in that area will make it look like Venezuela. This is entirely a useless eater bureaucratic problem. Take the commie government of Cali and find work for people like inspecting every tree and making sure you don't clear brush without a dozen inspectors including the designated donut runner and you will get nothing done but more taxes to keep the system running. I agree this will be used to raise taxes and I am sure a lot of good food will go to waste along with preventable deaths that will happen. At some point people have got to wake up and drag the politicians out into the streets rubbing their noses in the mess. The Peoples Masters truly feel emboldened to allow this to happen and still feel safe.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

The bread and circuses officially end today for some in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer Doug View Post
    Kyle Mcclanihan? the guy in Dune and Twin Peaks, was in a movie called "Trigger Effect?" about a power outage in California and his efforts, a typical suburbs guy, with a new baby and a useless wife, to make it through the power outage.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    I didn't really like the movie. If I remember the movie correctly, he had a real emotional problem defending his family. The wife had to step up. He finally got it, but it was a ride.
    I liked it myself; it's a good one to watch every so often to reinforce your need to prep and make you feel a lot better about what you've already done. These folks were caught COMPLETELY flat-footed. Total DGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    I liked it myself; it's a good one to watch every so often to reinforce your need to prep and make you feel a lot better about what you've already done. These folks were caught COMPLETELY flat-footed. Total DGI.
    I agree, shows what unprepared people are in for.

My favorite/worst part was when they had a home invasion in the middle of the night and the husband asked his wife, ”where’s the shotgun?” And she (still partly asleep) said, “I threw it in the pool.”

It’s a good one to watch for sure.

"Having rolling blackouts for something so silly as fire hazards is a 3rd world problem. Fire hazards should have been taken care of by the utility as ongoing maintenance. If it wasn't then they really need to look at the utility and maybe break it up into something that can operate correctly.

I never thought we could reach this point without an all out war.

It is amazing what people will tolerate."

I applaud PG&E for turning off the power to some areas!

They sued PG&E into bankruptcy to the tune of 30 billion dollars. PG&E was forbidden to clear vegetation due to california's "environmental impact" laws. These laws have caused massive death and destruction. Now they're complaining about PG&E protecting itself against more lawsuits. The people running california must exist in some alternate universe.
    Methodist CH, 1969
    The Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake is several decades past due.
    It had an estimated 9.0 magnitude in January of 1700.

If at first you don't fricassee, fry, fry again.

Californa Crazy going on! San Francisco is already like a third world country with all the homeless people living on the streets add to that their crooked politicians and now sporadic power outages. They get more third world-ish every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Housecarl View Post
    No, no photovoltaic system and yes I am including a "work" impact in all of this, and since I regularly have to deal with the public the potential number of eek faces I'd need to add to the entry might be taken as excessive if not for dramatic effect...
    Hmm. Really didn't want to think of you having that kind of "fun." ! ...watch your BP, your back, and remember that you're deputized as our on the scene reporter, and we pay extra for videos! Might double up on meditation, breath, stay hydrated, eat & sleep right for the duration. Please, and TY.

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Many will just let their stuff go bad and let their insurance agent worry with the aftermath. I bet hotels in surrounding areas that keep electrical service will get "fat" because of this manufactured crisis.
    I was thinking of the working poor types, who probably don't have insurance, and who's freezers are actually a piece of their assets. Guess CA doesn't have that though eh.

In many of the areas it will still be topping 90 degrees.
    Isn't that actually a threat to health at those temps? I bet the lawyers are standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by Esto Perpetua View Post
    Just read on Next Door that power in Vacaville has been shut off. Don't know if it's the entire city or select areas.
    Remember, you can go to the company website, and they'll have outage (my pad tried to type outrage, probably appropriate eh?) maps that are updated every 20 min or so.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    She couldn't keep her colors inside the lines, so she drew new lines.

The good news is, while they won't be able to flush their toilets, at least it's legal to shit in the streets!

Bwahahaha!

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Californa Crazy going on! San Francisco is already like a third world country with all the homeless people living on the streets add to that their crooked politicians and now sporadic power outages. They get more third world-ish every day.
    This might just be the blessing needed to anger enough folk to descend en masse and demand some changes start being made, to the politicians and the policies. Hope the connection is being made clearly enough that everyone understands.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Question for those who are closer to the issue than I am.

Does this not also affect the availability of water? No power to pump water to the towers? No sure how they work the water situation in those areas noted.

Quote Originally Posted by jward View Post
    This might just be the blessing needed to anger enough folk to descend en masse and demand some changes start being made, to the politicians and the policies. Hope the connection is being made clearly enough that everyone understands.
    Since it is California, they will ask for more control by the government.

I have only this tweet, no further information at this time...
    Steve Lookner liked
    California Brief
    @CaliforniaBrief
    ·
    12h
    #BREAKING: Reports of a fire with downed power lines in Monterey County.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    I have only this tweet, no further information at this time...
    Steve Lookner liked
    California Brief
    @CaliforniaBrief
    ·
    12h
    #BREAKING: Reports of a fire with downed power lines in Monterey County.
    Somebody might check Braodcastify
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Does this not also affect the availability of water? No power to pump water to the towers? No sure how they work the water situation in those areas noted.
    Yes in some areas in foothills and Mountains. These areas require electricity for pumps to move water to elevated areas. One Water district (East Bay Muni' Water district)said in its area 60% of areas are fed by gravity, the rest by electric pumps.
    I'm off to the coast..

And traffic lights. Street lights. Gas station pumps. Stores... lighting, air conditioning, cash registers. All sorts of "interesting" possibilities.

The exodus trickle is going to become a tsunami...

Summerthyme

There has got to be some power to some of that critical infrastructure, or else..,
    ..,well all we've ever said about that state was far far too kind.

. Since it is California, they will ask for more control by the government
    . I hear you, 20guage, but at some point enough anger is generated, and enough insight, that the pendulum shifts...

Interesting the responses here and what is actually happening. Lots of speculation, some correct, but mostly personal opinion lots of it wrong. It's gonna be interesting how this all plays out. My focus will be on Preps and how many here are reminded we need to prep, their immediate reaction and how many decide to remain peppers after.
    I'm off to the coast..

Have we covered this angle?

BitOBaca ��
    @BitOBaca
    ·
    6m
    I see a lot of bitching and complaining about PGE and power shut-offs, but I don’t see anyone calling for comprehensive investment in alternative energy sources that would make us less reliant on big power brokers.....quit your whining especially climate deniers

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    And traffic lights. Street lights. Gas station pumps. Stores... lighting, air conditioning, cash registers. All sorts of "interesting" possibilities.

The exodus trickle is going to become a tsunami...

Summerthyme
    More than I had thought about. I was thinking only about the basics. water and power.....this is going to hurt....

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Somebody might check Braodcastify
    https://www.broadcastify.com/

Some of us have at some point. For us this is an ongoing issue that we are working on. I expect at some point we will have a significantly reduced power grid consumption. Just not at the moment.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/califor...ent-wildfires/

Californians Stockpile Booze and Ice as PG&E Imposes Catastrophic Power Outages to Prevent Wildfires

Californians Stockpile Booze and Ice as PG&E Imposes Catastrophic Power Outages to Prevent Wildfires
    By Megan Fox October 9, 2019
    6-7 minutes

All is not well on the West Coast. PG&E, California's main supplier of power, is shutting off the grid for nearly a million Californians. This, they say, is necessary because of the high winds and peak conditions for wildfires over the next few days.

According to USA Today:

Pacific Gas and Electric said power was shut off to 513,000 Northern California homes and businesses early Wednesday. Another 234,000 Pacific Gas and Electric customers will lose power at noon local time, and 42,000 customers in the southernmost areas of the company's reach could also go dark, the state's largest power company said.

The precautionary shutdown is expected to last through most of Thursday, and some areas could be without power longer as the utility ramps back up after the winds abate.

PG&E equipment was blamed for last year's deadly Camp Fire wildfires.

There doesn't seem to be any easy solution to the yearly wildfire season, and California policy has always seemed to work in opposition to fire safety. Environmentalists have, for decades, fought the clearing of underbrush that serves as fuel for these raging fires. Instead of doing basic maintenance, almost one million people will have to live without power. No one is ready for it.

The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that people are stocking up on liquor and few of them have safety readiness kits. One resident they spoke to said she "knew she was woefully unprepared for days without power. Despite living along an earthquake fault and within a half block of where the 1991 Oakland conflagration destroyed the whole neighborhood, Weld didn’t have a comprehensive emergency kit ready to go."

Californians are also pretty concerned about what the heck they'll do for entertainment. The unprepared woman told the Chronicle, "What did I used to do (before the Internet)? Board games, reading books, writing by hand?” Sounds horrific.

A liquor store worker, Paul Vasconcelos, told the Chronicle, "People are loading up on ice and water and booze. They’re going a little crazy, know what I mean?”

Well, if you don't have a first aid kit in the middle of one of the most volatile places in the United States, then you might as well get drunk as you die in a stupid accident that could have been avoided with some basic safety preparation.

This only solidifies my theory that the worst terror threat or natural disaster that could happen to America is a hit to our power grid. I would bet that 80 to 90 percent of all city-dwellers would die rather quickly. These are mostly people whose only skill is crushing it on Fortnite. Caring for themselves and surviving the brutality of nature without buttons that make things happen is way out of their wheelhouse. That doesn't have much to do with anything except to serve as a public service reminder that every human being should have basic survival skills. Earth is a dangerous place. Maybe instead of teaching fifth-graders every possible conglomeration of sex position in California, they should teach them how to survive a power outage, since this seems to be a thing that the state is going to inflict on unwilling people from now on.

The emergency shut-offs came into being in 2018 after PG&E was blamed for starting wildfires that had devastating consequences. One wonders if the executives at the power company ever thought of the devastating consequences that will happen to almost one million people without power. It isn't just the millennial dolts, who will most likely be okay, that will suffer. What about the elderly or anyone who relies on medical equipment that must be plugged in? What about the businesses that will lose all their inventory?

Wired reported:

A utility like PG&E is mandated to provide power because doing so isn’t just a matter of modern conveniences—it can be a matter of life and death. That’s especially true in the Golden State's mountain towns that are most at risk of catastrophic wildfire, many of which are retirement communities. The elderly may rely more heavily on medical appliances, and be more vulnerable to heatstroke without air conditioning. By preemptively cutting off power, you’re also potentially cutting off communication—if the power goes out and a wildfire starts, and TVs and internet routers don’t work, people could be at risk. Electric water pumps too would go offline, potentially hampering firefighting efforts.

That doesn't sound good.

The green folks are pretty angry about it too. Imagine how upsetting it is to find out that the tens of thousands of dollars you spent on solar panels will not help you one bit. According to the Chronicle, solar systems are also hooked into the grid. The only way anyone with a solar system would have power is if they had an onsite battery that had been storing it and even that wouldn't last very long.

Even experts like Daniel Swain, a scientist at UCLA, aren't sure about PG&E's plan. "Even if you prevent 90 percent of wildfire ignitions, the remaining fires could be just as bad or even worse,” Swain told Wired. “That still leaves us with the problem that the character and intensity of wildfires are changing. Even if we see fewer of them, we’ll still have catastrophic fires.”

In an effort to preempt catastrophic wildfires, PG&E is creating catastrophic power outages. Does anyone else see the problem here?

Quote Originally Posted by Double_A View Post
    Interesting the responses here and what is actually happening. Lots of speculation, some correct, but mostly personal opinion lots of it wrong. It's gonna be interesting how this all plays out. My focus will be on Preps and how many here are reminded we need to prep, their immediate reaction and how many decide to remain peppers after.
    Anything in particular we should correct, or take into consideration?

Conventional wisdom seems to be that the protectionist laws have prevented proper clearing, leading to fires and liabilities for pge, and they in turn shut things down premptively, even though many on the ground reports are that there is no wind at this time...

Hope you're nt one of the lucky ones, but assume with your screen name, you're well prepared for power outtages eh.

Salinamarie: Bar Rescue Stan
    @Saly_D725
    ·
    8m
    Replying to
    @frncissdominc
    Yeah for anyone up here there’s areas set up by PGE that have power to charge you phone, AC, water, bathrooms and first aid! Idk exact locations but they should be available if you search on google if you have WiFi/service

https://sf.curbed.com/2019/10/8/2090...utages-centers

. volume of traffic, the PG&E site is intermittently down.
    The company will operate “community resource centers” providing resources like bottled water, air conditioning, and generators to charge phones and other devices in some of the affected areas. The announced centers currently include:

900 Fairgrounds Drive, Vallejo
    Calistoga Fairgrounds, 1601 N. Oak, Calistoga
    Avaya Stadium, 1123 Coleman Avenue, San Jose
    Bishop Ranch Parking Lot, 2600 Camino Ramon, San Ramon
    Pasta Moon Restaurant, 845 Main Street, Half Moon Bay
    Mission Church, 6391 Leisure Town Road, Vacaville
    Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial Building, 1351 Maple Avenue, Santa Rosa
    Merritt College Lot B, Leona Street, Oakland

Caltrans initially said it would close the Caldecott Tunnel and Tom Lantos Tunnel during the power outage, but also cautioned that “this remains a fluid event and could change by the hour.” But according to Andria Borba of KPIX, “PG&E is installing four generators inside the Caldecott Tunnel, so it will not have to close.” [Update: Caltrans said late Tuesday evening that the Caldecott Tunnel will remain open, at least for Wednesday morning.)

BART says it anticipates no interruptions in service, even for stations within areas that lose power on Wednesday.

Tens of thousands of people in the affected counties qualify for PG&E’s “medical baseline customer” program, discounting power costs for customers with certain medical conditions. This includes those “dependent on life-support equipment used in the home,” patients with “with special heating and/or air-conditioning needs,” including “life-threatening illness, compromised immune system, or other medical conditions” that rely on climate control for long-term and short-term health.
    Last edited by jward; 10-09-2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: House keeping

I have a hunch that what PG and E really wants is to make life so miserable for the public (as well as city and county governments) that the screams to "do something" will result in the State (aka the taxpayers) buying out the "company."

I've noticed that many formerly regulated utilities (and related services) LOVE the idea of "Privatization" until the day comes when such and such isn't "profitable" anymore.

Then those "private" corporations can't wait to bail out of the mess they've created by having to focus on earning money rather than just providing an essential service as a public utility.

The same thing happens with Big Insurance Companies, everything is "just grand" until something happens (or a bunch of things happens in the same year) and suddenly every insurance company in the State threatens to leave unless the State or Federal Government "does something."

That something almost always means the State or Federal Government takes over the risky places (or the sickest people, or whatever) that will actually need to be covered while the "insurance" company only "covers" those are least likely to make a claim.

So, PG&E says pretty much "we have to shut down in the Fire Season, sometimes for weeks because if there is a fire we are already bankrupted and we can't afford any more liabilities."

It doesn't matter that hundreds could die as a knock off effect or that the economy is likely to collapse if employers can't open for days and/or the public babysitting service er..a... public schools are shut down for weeks at a time.

PG&E can claim they simply can't "risk" turning the grid back on, at least not until they have a 100 percent tax-payer funded guarantee that they won't go under again if a spark from a downed line causes a fire.

I suspect how bad this gets will depend on how extreme the season is and how determined PG&E is to keep turning things off and for how long.

Anything in particular we should correct, or take into consideration?

Conventional wisdom seems to be that the protectionist laws have prevented proper clearing, leading to fires and liabilities for pge, and they in turn shut things down premptively, even though many on the ground reports are that there is no wind at this time...

Hope you're nt one of the lucky ones, but assume with your screen name, you're well prepared for power outtages eh.

First off, while PG&E deserves plenty of blame, the biggest portion...However, the Gov is braying like a jackass sounding suspiciously like "it wasn't me, I swear I had nothing to do with this, please vote for me again" STFU Gavin. The Gov. needs to show leadership, not finger pointing if he wants to look good, but like a typical slimy politician he continues to blather about blame. ETA: Calif has a Public Utilities Board that regulates utilities companies. They have sat on their collective asses for decades.

First off California is earthquake country, but California hasn't had a dramatic major quake for 25+ years. Native Californians under 30yrs old have had little to no experience with wide-scale natural disasters. They have no experience and hence have never had the need to think of prepping. Nor have these same young adults with no experience had the opportunity to see the extraordinary widespread implications of electric outage that lasts several days.

I came to TB2K back in 2004 for info about Prepping, that is and has been my interest.

So I'm looking about lessons and take-a-ways from Individuals, public agencies, and proposals to go forward.

I might say this also, in the recent fires, the town of Paradise of which 90% was destroyed, PG&E has decided to place all its utilities UNDERGROUND! Bravo!
    I'm off to the coast..

I have a hunch that what PG and E really wants is to make life so miserable for the public (as well as city and county governments) that the screams to "do something" will result in the State (aka the taxpayers) buying out the "company."

I've noticed that many formerly regulated utilities (and related services) LOVE the idea of "Privatization" until the day comes when such and such isn't "profitable" anymore.

Then those "private" corporations can't wait to bail out of the mess they've created by having to focus on earning money rather than just providing an essential service as a public utility.

The same thing happens with Big Insurance Companies, everything is "just grand" until something happens (or a bunch of things happens in the same year) and suddenly every insurance company in the State threatens to leave unless the State or Federal Government "does something."

That something almost always means the State or Federal Government takes over the risky places (or the sickest people, or whatever) that will actually need to be covered while the "insurance" company only "covers" those are least likely to make a claim.

So, PG&E says pretty much "we have to shut down in the Fire Season, sometimes for weeks because if there is a fire we are already bankrupted and we can't afford any more liabilities."

It doesn't matter that hundreds could die as a knock off effect or that the economy is likely to collapse if employers can't open for days and/or the public babysitting service er..a... public schools are shut down for weeks at a time.

PG&E can claim they simply can't "risk" turning the grid back on, at least not until they have a 100 percent tax-payer funded guarantee that they won't go under again if a spark from a downed line causes a fire.

I suspect how bad this gets will depend on how extreme the season is and how determined PG&E is to keep turning things off and for how long.

PG&E has already resisted buy-outs and I would not be in favor of the state buying them. Most recently the City of San Fran has offered to buy the electric system within city boundaries, PG&E has refused.
    I'm off to the coast..

Quote Originally Posted by Double_A View Post
    PG&E has already resisted buy-outs and I would not be in favor of the state buying them. Most recently the City of San Fran has offered to buy the electric system within city boundaries, PG&E has refused.
    Interesting, thank you for the feedback! So it may be something else then..hmm...

Interesting, thank you for the feedback! So it may be something else then..hmm...
    Your points are well taken, but I'm not sure there angling for a buy-out. BUT... 10 years ago I took an 8hr class by PG&E at that time
    we were told PG&E wants to get out of generating & transmission business and only become a power broker, so you may be right in some respect, but...

I believe what would be a better solution is to acknowledge the risks and require all public utility companies create some kind of fund to pay claims
    of damages. Much like the Fed Gov has required of drug companies have done.

PG&E has had plenty of difficulties from misguided environmental organizations in getting permission to clear paths in woodland and forested areas
    I'm off to the coast..

In order to live in home, apartment etc... you must be connected to the grid or your house will be condemmed and red tagged.

Inless your homeless, then no code. But you can't be homeless on your own property because its illegal, you gotta be hooked up to the grid, approved sewer, energy smart home thats over engineered and capable to run off the grid, but still be hooked up to it.

Thats Calogic.

Yet again I have to wonder why people live in a state that allows the electric company to shut down the power to a million people for very little reason for this length of time?

As a SF Bay Area resident there are a few things I'm hoping for.

I think it is absolutely wonderful that Millenials are experiencing this. During their entire life residing in Calif they've been told to
    prepare something that has never happened, an Earthquake. Now they have something to think about!

As a consequence they now will experience what life can be like without modern tech all powered by electricity. BUT, not only that
    all the things powered by electricity they never ever thought about.

Unless, they listen to the Gov saying its all PG&E's fault and think it will never happen again.
    I'm off to the coast..

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Yet again I have to wonder why people live in a state that allows the electric company to shut down the power to a million people for very little reason for this length of time?

OK, you're joking right? How much have you heard regarding this?

Do you know about massive fires over last few years
    caused by power lines
    I'm off to the coast..

A week long power outage for people living in higher elevations where they see deep arctic conditions for 3 month out of the year is not funny if they have no 19th century style backup for heating and cooking and water will be a big issue. Take it to three weeks and it will come to a point dead people will start flooding the coroners office to the point of overwhelm.

Most Millenials and the brain dead all blame global climate change and peoples like Trump for making it so by polluting their evil capitalism businesses that steal their employees labores and monies.