Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

SOFT NEWS Um, my first attempt at boiling water and simmering rice on my outback stove has worked.
+ Reply to Thread

Um, my first attempt at boiling water and simmering rice on my outback stove has worked.

So I will be able to survive on prison rations the prison of war vets got in the last war of rice and hot water in the Japanese prison war camps. One cannot complain can one?

I got in a load of hardwood chips on Monday of this week. Cost me $180 for the load. I am still cutting up small branches for my backpack stoves. So I had to give everything a try. Today I used the Kelly Scout stove.

So I filled it with chip and wasn't having a lot of success with getting it going until I threw on the petrol. It was smoking mind you. even the petrol took a bit of time to light up.

Had to throw on a few little branches to cook the rice off. The kettle had boiled quite quickly and I had to keep adding water as it steamed out.

So I am quite happy with my cooking preparation for when things shut down.

CC,

Good job....

Learn before you need it....

Texican....

Yes, one needs practice. The other thing is that it is easy to get in stuff that make it more easy to do things but you need to learn what you need. Like the hardwood chip I got is not easy to get a flame going. So some experimenting is needed.

The reason I cooked the rice was to see how such hard grain would be like to cook on such small stoves. I didn't have to use much wood to get it cooked so I am quite happy with the test.

Boiled water or soup etc, can be put into a Thermos like below for easily 12 without losing temperature.

Keep your favourite hot and cold meals fresh and ready to enjoy on the go with the Thermos Food Jar. This durable double walled stainless steel food jar is vacuum insulated to keep food hot for 14 hours or cold for up to 24 hours. The screw-down cap and outer lid lock in freshness and eliminate leaks, odours and spills.

Product Features:

Keeps food hot for up to 14 hours, and cold for up to 24 hours
    Vacuum insulated
    Double walled stainless steel
    Screw-down lid
    Last edited by China Connection; 09-10-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Bought a thermos once, salesman told me it would keep hot things hot and cold things cold. Next day I took it back and poured a puddle of goop on his desk and said he lied to me! He asked what I had put in it, I gave him my best idiot stare and said,
    “Two popsicles and a cup of coffee!”
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    It’s a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    I’m not afraid of dying...I just don’t want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Your not supposed to mix ice and hot coffee in them at the same time you know?

I put boiling water into one of mine and found it quite warm 24 hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    Bought a thermos once, salesman told me it would keep hot things hot and cold things cold. Next day I took it back and poured a puddle of goop on his desk and said he lied to me! He asked what I had put in it, I gave him my best idiot stare and said,
    “Two popsicles and a cup of coffee!”
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    I myself am entirely made of flaws, stiched together with good intentions.
    MOON™~> all in the ignorant opinion of an uneducated slip of a woman who keeps forgetting to mind her manners, know her place and bow down to her betters

Good job, China! Bet you could make a lovely cup o' tea, no matter what the flavor of disaster going onaround you! That right there makes it all easier to face.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    I myself am entirely made of flaws, stiched together with good intentions.
    MOON™~> all in the ignorant opinion of an uneducated slip of a woman who keeps forgetting to mind her manners, know her place and bow down to her betters

Yep, I like a good cup of tea. I think I get a better cup just buying a quality black tea and sticking a bit in a cup and pouring boiling water over it.

Things are going to get very basic before long. Australia is even importing Canadian wheat these days. As I say we are very,very dry these days meaning in drought.

Graters are my best friend when it comes to economizing when I cook rice etc. I just grate different types of root vegetables and add in as the rice is cooking. It is easy to feel full on little. Of course your cooking time is much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by China Connection View Post

I got in a load of hardwood chips on Monday of this week. Cost me $180 for the load.
    Were the wood chips green or had they been seasoned? Green wood is very hard to burn so that may be why you had fire starting issues.

Also make sure you keep your pile of chips out of the weather or you will end up with a pile of mulch

You would also be better served with something like this rocket stove. You should be able to go to any welding or metal fabrication shop and have one made for well less the $50. If made with 3/16 or 1/4 steel it would be much better constructed then those kelly stoves like in your picture. In a SHTF scenario you are going to want something which will last

tbd
    Attached Images

I am working on a design of my own for a small stove and yep, made from strong material.

The chip I bought I doubt is really old but is not really green either. I am packing it away in containers out of the rain. I will work it out as I did get it to burn okay today but yes it wasn't what I call easy.

This is similar to what I want to make.

http://natelki.net/hobo-stove/
    Last edited by China Connection; 09-10-2019 at 06:37 AM.

CC, your fuel should be as dry as possible, so one should store one’s wood fuel where it can dry out and stay dry. Ie : allow air to be able to move through it as much as possible, and kept out of the way of rain and moisture from the ground.

ETA: wood chips tend to pack so I recommend that you spread them out on a tarp on the ground where they can dry in the sunshine for at least a few days before storing them away.
    ” Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man”
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

Quote Originally Posted by twobarkingdogs View Post
    Were the wood chips green or had they been seasoned? Green wood is very hard to burn so that may be why you had fire starting issues.

Also make sure you keep your pile of chips out of the weather or you will end up with a pile of mulch

You would also be better served with something like this rocket stove. You should be able to go to any welding or metal fabrication shop and have one made for well less the $50. If made with 3/16 or 1/4 steel it would be much better constructed then those kelly stoves like in your picture. In a SHTF scenario you are going to want something which will last

tbd
    I have a rocket stove like that one -- not identical, but very similar. It works great.

CC, I think you need to make a kindling pile, or box, or something (and store the kindling indoors, not out under your pine tree). I don't know what kinds of wood you have available in your area, but find something that burns well, like pine or cedar, and make splinters and shavings. They'll catch fire more easily than your chips, and then you can slowly add chips until the fire is the size you need. I'm guessing that your chips are not from a kind of wood that catches fire easily, which is why you had to add gasoline to them (yikes! That's dangerous!). Gasoline/petrol may not always be available, though, so you need to figure out how to get a fire going without it.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Ummm. Yeah. Throwing gasoline on a fire that may already be smouldering...that could be a problem.

Better get those chips (whatever that is) under cover and dry.

So I filled it with chip and wasn't having a lot of success with getting it going until I threw on the petrol.
    Cheap and Effective Homemade Fire Starter

Get a bag of "cotton make-up rounds" and smear some Vaseline petroleum jelly on them. It lights easily with a match or ferro-rod. Store them in a small ziplock bag.

I think these are much better than a cotton ball because the rounds are larger and more substantial than a poofy cotton ball when smeared with the Vaseline..

A bag of 100 cotton rounds is only about $2.00 USD at Target or Wally World.

The cotton rounds also make great 12 gauge shotgun cleaning patches.

"The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

China, you are a true prepper, getting the things you think you will need and then working with them until you have the experience that you will need. Good job!

Graters are my best friend when it comes to economizing when I cook rice etc. I just grate different types of root vegetables and add in as the rice is cooking. It is easy to feel full on little. Of course your cooking time is much faster.

My roommates from India and Pakistan would add finely diced onion, finely sliced raw potatoes, and frozen green peas to their rice, along with cumin, cardamon, and bayleaf... and yes salt and pepper, while it was cooking. It was really good.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

An old grater can be used to make easy-to-start tinder for a fire. Soft wood or other combustibles can be 'grated' into fine tinder.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    An old grater can be used to make easy-to-start tinder for a fire. Soft wood or other combustibles can be 'grated' into fine tinder.
    Good call!
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

" Originally Posted by hiwall View Post"

Um, I bought some "Fatwood" from the local hardware shop today and just grated some. It works a charm,thanks.

.................................................. .............................................

Product Description
    Product Details
    Fatwood is an all natural fire starter that is harvested from the stump of a pine tree. Naturally occurring resin accumulates with the stump giving it excellent fire starting capability.
    Perfect for fireplaces, campfires, BBQ's and pizza ovens.

100% Natural firestarter
    No chemicals or additives
    No mess or fumes
    No more kindling. No more paper
    work in 3 easy steps

THINK ABOUT GETTING A GAME CART!

I sent one to my sister and brother in law for Christmas one year (after they said they didn't want it.)
    I don't know how many times they called saying it has come in handy for so many things around their yard and they take it when they go hunting Turkey and other game just to haul all their gear!

I'm thinking if I ever HAVE TO leave, I will need this to haul even the minimum stuff.
    You can also haul an injured person to help!

Mine just arrived tonite and I sat here putting it together.
    THEN, I folded it up, so I would know how.
    It's a 500lb load version that I paid 59.99 +tax from Walmart.(lists for $159)
    I was gonna give a link but they just went out of stock.
    It got 4 stars reviews.

I had given my Ontario Knife Co. Orange D handle machete to my grandson because he needed it and I just had it laying in preps, so I ordered another one and hope the sheath I ordered (with sharpening stone and 3 pockets) will fit. It may not be wide enough, we will see. I am thinking of getting a sharpening PUCK for it.

Ontario Knife Company 8517 Field Knife with D Orange Handle - Retail Package, 18" blade (no sheath included)
    by Ontario Knife Co
    4.2 out of 5 stars 44 ratings
    | 5 answered questions
    Price: $29.73 & FREE Shipping.

Lansky Puck - Dual Grit Multi-Purpose Sharpener - Blade & Tool Sharpener
    by Lansky 5.5" diameter
    4.7 out of 5 stars 2,551 ratings
    | 91 answered questions
    List Price: $10.95
    Price: $8.64 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon. D
    Lansky Puck - Dual Grit Multi-Purpose Sharpener - Blade & Tool Sharpener by Lansky 4.7 out of 5 stars 2,551 ratings | 91 answered questions List Price: $10.95 Price: $8.64 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon. D
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 09-11-2019 at 01:57 AM.
    Jesus didn't MERELY only physically "die on the cross". He so loved us that
    It was God, suffering, bearing the sin, shame, guilt and punishment
    for every single person who had, or would ever live.
    So Justice could be preserved, Enabling Grace and Mercy to all who believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    Cheap and Effective Homemade Fire Starter

Get a bag of "cotton make-up rounds" and smear some Vaseline petroleum jelly on them. It lights easily with a match or ferro-rod. Store them in a small ziplock bag.

I think these are much better than a cotton ball because the rounds are larger and more substantial than a poofy cotton ball when smeared with the Vaseline..

A bag of 100 cotton rounds is only about $2.00 USD at Target or Wally World.

The cotton rounds also make great 12 gauge shotgun cleaning patches.

This is what I use to start my little gasifier stove works every time.

Beats cotton hands down in cost and performance. Just cut to size soak it in candle wax.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hessian Sacking Jute

Hessian or sacking cloth is natural and biodegradable.
    It has a wide variety of uses, including:
    For protecting root balls during transplanting
    As a mulch or screen

Quote Originally Posted by ainitfunny View Post
    THINK ABOUT GETTING A GAME CART!

I sent one to my sister and brother in law for Christmas one year (after they said they didn't want it.)
    I don't know how many times they called saying it has come in handy for so many things around their yard and they take it when they go hunting Turkey and other game just to haul all their gear!

I'm thinking if I ever HAVE TO leave, I will need this to haul even the minimum stuff.
    You can also haul an injured person to help!

Mine just arrived tonite and I sat here putting it together.
    THEN, I folded it up, so I would know how.
    It's a 500lb load version that I paid 59.99 +tax from Walmart.(lists for $159)
    I was gonna give a link but they just went out of stock.
    It got 4 stars reviews.

I had given my Ontario Knife Co. Orange D handle machete to my grandson because he needed it and I just had it laying in preps, so I ordered another one and hope the sheath I ordered (with sharpening stone and 3 pockets) will fit. It may not be wide enough, we will see. I am thinking of getting a sharpening PUCK for it.

Ontario Knife Company 8517 Field Knife with D Orange Handle - Retail Package, 18" blade (no sheath included)
    by Ontario Knife Co
    4.2 out of 5 stars 44 ratings
    | 5 answered questions
    Price: $29.73 & FREE Shipping.

Lansky Puck - Dual Grit Multi-Purpose Sharpener - Blade & Tool Sharpener
    by Lansky 5.5" diameter
    4.7 out of 5 stars 2,551 ratings
    | 91 answered questions
    List Price: $10.95
    Price: $8.64 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon. D
    Lansky Puck - Dual Grit Multi-Purpose Sharpener - Blade & Tool Sharpener by Lansky 4.7 out of 5 stars 2,551 ratings | 91 answered questions List Price: $10.95 Price: $8.64 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon. D
    Watch your fingers with the puck. I nicked myself once or twice using them on axes.