Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CRIME Man charged in death of Detroit girl attacked by 3 dogs
+ Reply to Thread

Man charged in death of Detroit girl attacked by 3 dogs

https://www.apnews.com/e30029aed471446584b45ce91db2d5b1

DETROIT (AP) — A man was charged Thursday in the death of a 9-year-old Detroit girl, who was mauled by three dogs despite rescue efforts by neighbors, her father and emergency workers.

Pierre Cleveland, 33, was charged with second-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter and having a dangerous animal causing death, Wayne County prosecutors said. Cleveland owned the pit bulls or pit bull mixes that got free from his yard and attacked Emma Hernandez as she rode a bike Monday in her neighborhood on the city’s southwest side.

A judge entered a not-guilty plea on Cleveland’s behalf and set bond at $2 million. The judge also set a probable cause hearing for Aug. 30 and a preliminary exam on Sept. 6.

Defense attorney Emmett Greenwood said Cleveland tried to get the dogs off Emma, and that he has no criminal history. Cleveland is a machinist who lost three fingers in a recent workplace accident, Greenwood said.

“My client and (his) family wanted to convey they are praying for the precious child,” Greenwood told The Associated Press after the hearing.

One of the dogs was shot by a bystander while a medical crew tried to save the girl in an alley. The other dogs were captured. Neighbors threw bricks at the dogs to try to stop the attack, police said.

Emma died at a hospital.

Her father, Armando Hernandez, said this week that the dogs lived at a house behind his, and that he and the owner had argued recently about them. The dogs weren’t properly restrained and the fence was too flimsy, Hernandez said.

Prosecutors allege Cleveland left the dogs loose and went to a nearby store. Investigators say the fence was damaged and unsecured, and a side door on a garage was open, leading to the alley.

Cleveland knew the dogs were aggressive. One of the dogs involved in the attack recently killed puppies in Cleveland’s home, a prosecutor said.

“It is high time that the city of Detroit shines a light on the owners of these dangerous animals that sometimes roam and wreak serious havoc — none worse than what happened here,” Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement.

Animal control officers received a complaint in March 2018 about two of the dogs involved in Monday’s attack, according to several media reports. Officers responded to a call about the dogs not being behind the fence but nobody answered the door.

The dogs are expected to be euthanized, though it’s unclear when. The Associated Press left a message with Detroit Animal Care & Control.

The death follows the December 2015 fatal mauling by four pit bulls of Xavier Strickland, a 4-year-old Detroit boy who was attacked with his mother. Police had to shoot them to free the boy’s body.

The dogs’ owner, Geneke Lyons , was convicted several months later of involuntary manslaughter. Lyons wasn’t home at the time of the attack, but prosecutors said he should be held responsible because the dogs weren’t under control. A judge earlier dismissed a second-degree murder charge.

Numerous pit bull attacks have made headlines in Michigan and elsewhere. A 2014 American Veterinary Medical Association report says pit bulls are not disproportionately dangerous in comparison to other breeds, and that the owner’s behavior should be taken into account.

Yup. Pitbulls. Always pitbulls. And black owners. Dey get dey skreet cred....

It appears the owner of the dogs is still hospitalized for the loss of his 3 fingers on the job. Wonder who was caring for the 3 dogs at the time of the attack?

I cannot imagine the horror of that poor father seeing his child's throat being ripped open.

I will pray for all involved.

The AVMA report is baloney. All factual information leads to the conclusion that pit bulls are extraordinarily dangerous.
    Reality cannot be seen through the lens of Marxism.

Freedom and government-imposed equality are mutually exclusive.

Man charged in death of Detroit girl attacked by 3 dogs - -
    Good!

Personally, I've never met a Pit Bull I didn't like....they are sweet dogs if they are raised properly.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

Quote Originally Posted by JF&P View Post
    Personally, I've never met a Pit Bull I didn't like....they are sweet dogs if they are raised properly.

Correct. But "da hood" types don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Correct. But "da hood" types don't.
    And unfortunately, neither do many other well meaning dog owners who simply don't understand the amount of training, socialization and supervision dogs with that breeding require. When I sold Akita pups (the breed can be hyper-protective and has a very high prey drive... added to their size, you either taught them young that you are alpha, or you had a potential disaster on your hands) I reserved the right to refuse to sell a pup to anyone if I felt it was a bad match. Several times, parents brought their kids along to help pick out a pup. If the kids were well behaved, it was a good sign. But more than once, after observing the kids disobeying the parents (a couple nearly were bitten when they ignored orders to not touch the pups until i had introduced them to the mother dog) or running wild, I knew the dog would end up out of control as well.

The other factor in most of these attacks is numbers... 3 or more dogs are a pack, and pack hierarchy takes precedence. A pack of poorly socialized dogs of any breed can be dangerous, but a pack of pits (due to their jaw strength, prey drive and tenacious ferocity in prosecuting an attack) is potentislly worse than a pack of wolves.

Summerthyme

Dogs are animals, and they carry DNA that produces traits that are known and predictable. Science. Your Golden Retriever will bring your paper or your slippers because it's in his DNA to do so. Your German Shepherd will remain alert and protect his pack at all times. That's who he is. Your pug will be an affectionate and loveable goofball. Your pit bull, regardless of how you raise him, is a killer. That is who he is. Whenever you say, "He has never harmed anyone," you need to add the word "yet."
    "As the rising of the sun is clear to all, so the glory of the Lord fills all his works."

I thought the killer had been attacked by three dogs. Then I thought, karma.

Pit Bull. Huh. The name says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by coalcracker View Post
    Dogs are animals, and they carry DNA that produces traits that are known and predictable. Science. Your Golden Retriever will bring your paper or your slippers because it's in his DNA to do so. Your German Shepherd will remain alert and protect his pack at all times. That's who he is. Your pug will be an affectionate and loveable goofball. Your pit bull, regardless of how you raise him, is a killer. That is who he is. Whenever you say, "He has never harmed anyone," you need to add the word "yet."
    I always go by the eyes.

Some dogs--you can SEE the "soul" in their eyes.

Others----they're clear, as in BLANK---there's no "there" there----

Or they're "dead eyes", like Flint described the shark's eyes as being in the movie Jaws.

Never buy a dog with "empty" eyes---or "dead" eyes.....
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.