Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Signs of a harsh winter in Great Lakes area
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. 18 Signs of a harsh winter in Great Lakes area

I know itís still plenty hot where many of you are, but our leaves started changing colors about a week ago. Weíve had a crazy amount of acorns, and the geese and ducks have already started moving out. An old timer up here said heís never seen so many wild berries and apples, which he said is Godís way of fortifying His wild creatures for the upcoming winter.

And to top it all off, itís quite chilly here. The next couple of days are only a high of 63 with lows down around 40. Everyone here is wearing sweaters and flannels. Weíre in northern Michigan.

Anyone else seeing signs of a particularly harsh or early winter?

Itís going to be on3 hell of a rough winter. I have friends in Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania, etc., who are sharing photos of snow, and lots of it on Facebook. Our winter mimics theirs, our summer mimics theirs.

If you heat with wood youíll want a few extra cords for this coming winter.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Robins and geese appear to be on the move in SW lower MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    I know it’s still plenty hot where many of you are, but our leaves started changing colors about a week ago. We’ve had a crazy amount of acorns, and the geese and ducks have already started moving out. An old timer up here said he’s never seen so many wild berries and apples, which he said is God’s way of fortifying His wild creatures for the upcoming winter.

And to top it all off, it’s quite chilly here. The next couple of days are only a high of 63 with lows down around 40. Everyone here is wearing sweaters and flannels. We’re in northern Michigan.

Anyone else seeing signs of a particularly harsh or early winter?
    I thought you two were moving to southern Missouri?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Robins and geese appear to be on the move in SW lower MI.
    Goldfinches are the latest to nest and fledge, usually in September, they’re already fledgling here. A month early.

6. Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    I thought you two were moving to southern Missouri?
    We are! Thank God. I can’t handle another brutal winter. Just making one last winter forecast for everyone before we head on down.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Goldfinches are the latest to nest and fledge, usually in September, they’re already fledgling here. A month early.
    A month? No, September's only a little over a week away. Or do you mean they nest and fledge in LATE September?

A month? No, September's only a little over a week away. Or do you mean they nest and fledge in LATE September?
    They fledged two weeks ago, 5hey typically do not fledge until the end of September here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    We are! Thank God. I can’t handle another brutal winter. Just making one last winter forecast for everyone before we head on down.
    If you go down I35 5hrough Des Moines try to do so on a week day and you can stop at Graziano brothers on 1601 Union Street (sp) in downtown Des Moines, it’s a real authentic Italian grocery store! And there’s a real Italian restaurant in that same area.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    They fledged two weeks ago, 5hey typically do not fledge until the end of September here.
    Ah, okay. That puts them about six weeks early. That is NOT a good sign.

We've had a bipolar summer here in the PNW. I'M super the same sow winferr. which means the averages might be normal. But extreme swings along the way.

The summer monsoon in AZ is a dud this year and that when we get most of our rain.
    I saw some baby mallard ducks this week that must have been just hatched -way late.

Ah, okay. That puts them about six weeks early. That is NOT a good sign.
    No, not a good sign at all!

14. Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    We've had a bipolar summer here in the PNW. I'M super the same sow winferr. which means the averages might be normal. But extreme swings along the way.
    We had the same bipolar summer. A handful of days in the mid-80s. Several wild swings from day to day. Very erratic. And far too short. We saw patches of snow on June 2nd, and the leaves started turning last week. That’s literally only two months of warm weather. Alaska has better summers than we do.

And that’s why we’re leaving Michigan. Totally over it. Beautiful state, but not with the misery.

Same bipolar weather here in Iowa. We have the grand solar minimum to thank for 5hat.

In Maine we had our hottest day of the year about July 20. Been mostly highs of 78 to 82 since. Not normal August dog days.
    Ē Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of ManĒ
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

We are ending the hottest, sunniest summer I have ever experienced since moving here in 1970. Still clear but it's cooled off since our 3-day windstorm (and no clouds); was only about 66 today which is much closer to normal for mid-August. But the leaves are all brown, due to the heat and very dry summer. So we won't likely have our usual gorgeous golden autumn.

As for signs of the coming winter, the spruce cones are all dropping already, and I'm raking fallen leaves daily - but again that might be our abnormal summer on both counts. I think our seagulls have left, the first ravens are appearing and I have seen many skeins of geese heading south -- all these are a few weeks early. Usually see sandhill cranes about now, so am looking for them but no sign yet.

I actually hope for a good cold winter to kill off some of the invasive species we are seeing - especially the bugs! I like the cold, but am Florida-bound in about 3 more weeks. Will be an interesting winter for me!
    All that is gold does not glitter....

I have been getting the feeling that fall was coming early, quite a few times recently, unexpected chills and such. Even saw some trees losing their leaves the other day - just a couple, though, and they could have lost them due to some other reason.
    Psalm 116
    1 I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.
    2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

The title of this thread reminded me of this old joke.

-------

Preparing for Winter

One year, a young Ojibwe boy was given the task of ensuring the entire village had enough wood for winter. This was the first time he had been given such an honor and he wanted to do it right. Before he went to work he decided to call the weatherman to ask what kind of a winter was to be expected. The weather man told him it was going to be a warm and uneventful winter. The boy thought to himself, ‘this is great. I won’t have to work too hard and I’ll be able to look good in front of the whole tribe.’

Just to be safe, he gathered a few of his friends and they went to work for a week. At the end of the week, after chopping and piling the wood, the boy decided to give the weatherman a second call. The weatherman told him it was going to be a very cold winter. Shocked at this sudden change and not wanting to disappoint the elders of his village, he gathered more of his friends and they went to work. For two weeks they cut and piled wood, hoping that it would be enough to last the whole winter.

Once again the boy called the weatherman and this time the weatherman told him, “Son, its going to be a very bitter, cold and long winter. Maybe the worst winter on record.”

Exasperated, the boy had to ask, “What makes you say that sir?”

The weatherman replies, “The Indians are gathering wood like crazy!”
    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
    the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission;
    which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
    -Ayn Rand

Hey, Naturallysweet! I am hoping you'll see this and chime in. In the 14 years we've been here in the PNW not far south of you, we've seen a variety of weather but this year seems really weird. It has been terribly dry, and that will account for some of it, and the leaf spot that is on the blackberries and poison oak and ash is part of the problem, but that can't be all of it. The poison oak is almost all red, well over a month early. The ash and cottonwood are turning yellow. Partly because of drought, but . . . . The Douglas aster should just be blooming but its almost done. Started a month early. The maples are losing leaves because of the drought, but the sassafras has red leaves. The apples are falling off early due to drought I guess, before they are ripe or sweet. Some plants are well over a month early turning into fall colors and others don't seem to be any where near coloring up for autumn. Any thoughts on this.

And you are right about the weather. Winter ended early, but the weather is up and down. Some hot days, then back to very warm, and a few blessed cool days. So little rain. Trees still dying due to drought. Sigh. I looked and NOAA has no idea what winter will bring for us. No idea. But they are calling for a warmer than normal autumn through November.

It's disconcerting. I'd love to know what else you are thinking about this weather and coming winter since you've been here a lot longer than we have.

I am east of you in the Cascades. Been here more than fifty years. This has been a much cooler and wetter year than usual. Our blackberries are fine, and enthusiastic this year, apples are also doing well, but my pears are few.

Thankfully, we haven't had a bad fire season.....hoping it stays quiet. I have been very worried about fires because of the amount of debris from the big storm last February/March.

It rained today, and I didn't hear any thunder which is what usually accompanies rain this time of year.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com
    JackiGossSpecial-Tees.com

I was looking at my flowering cherry trees and birch trees. The leaves started changing and falling off within the last week here in eastern pa. I thought it was just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I am east of you in the Cascades. Been here more than fifty years. This has been a much cooler and wetter year than usual. Our blackberries are fine, and enthusiastic this year, apples are also doing well, but my pears are few.

Thankfully, we haven't had a bad fire season.....hoping it stays quiet. I have been very worried about fires because of the amount of debris from the big storm last February/March.

It rained today, and I didn't hear any thunder which is what usually accompanies rain this time of year.

Jacki
    I'm glad you didn't get lightening. We got about 1/10 of an inch. Enough to cool the air but barely enough to get the ground wet. We are really short of rain here.

Our blackberries have been exceptional, even with the leaf spot! I just picked over 30 lbs for jam and the freezer. Great flavor and size. It's been a great year for picking them. The poison oak which cozies up to them has been a lot easier to spot. LOL

That was one weird storm! Yes, lots of debris. One DD lives about 2 hrs south of us and the forest there are ripe for a conflagration! Between the dead trees and debris it could get bad very fast. Our little valley here is crispy and I, too worry about fire. If one gets started, with a little wind there'll be no stopping it. I hope we all get enough rain soon to mitigate the potential for fire. You stay safe up there! Do you have any thought about the type of winter we can expect?

I've given up on trying to figure out what is going to happen, but I'm getting as much wood as I can get! My brother runs a Woodmizer, and I get my firewood from his mill scrap. Needless to say, he has a lot of logs to mill this year.

The fire danger hasn't been enough to limit his milling time this year, but he has had a challenge figuring where to shoehorn logs in 'till he can mill them.

I know that we are due for more precipitation, but snow?, or rain? I just hope it isn't both. I have seen two really bad Pineapple Express years, which meant severe flooding in the valley. I also remember several bad snow years, which weren't bad for those of us in the mountains, but really played havoc in the valley.

Most of us up here plan for the worst. It is funny how many people up here are some type of prepper whether they know it or not.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com
    JackiGossSpecial-Tees.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    Hey, Naturallysweet! I am hoping you'll see this and chime in. In the 14 years we've been here in the PNW not far south of you, we've seen a variety of weather but this year seems really weird. It has been terribly dry, and that will account for some of it, and the leaf spot that is on the blackberries and poison oak and ash is part of the problem, but that can't be all of it. The poison oak is almost all red, well over a month early. The ash and cottonwood are turning yellow. Partly because of drought, but . . . . The Douglas aster should just be blooming but its almost done. Started a month early. The maples are losing leaves because of the drought, but the sassafras has red leaves. The apples are falling off early due to drought I guess, before they are ripe or sweet. Some plants are well over a month early turning into fall colors and others don't seem to be any where near coloring up for autumn. Any thoughts on this.

And you are right about the weather. Winter ended early, but the weather is up and down. Some hot days, then back to very warm, and a few blessed cool days. So little rain. Trees still dying due to drought. Sigh. I looked and NOAA has no idea what winter will bring for us. No idea. But they are calling for a warmer than normal autumn through November.

It's disconcerting. I'd love to know what else you are thinking about this weather and coming winter since you've been here a lot longer than we have.
    Where, WHERE ARE YOU in the PNW??????
    Where can I find SASSAFRAS here??
    I have not seen any. Did you bring it from the east and plant it?
    Jesus didn't MERELY only physically "die on the cross". He so loved us that
    It was God, suffering, bearing the sin, shame, guilt and punishment
    for every single person who had, or would ever live.
    So Justice could be preserved, Enabling Grace and Mercy to all who believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I've given up on trying to figure out what is going to happen, but I'm getting as much wood as I can get! My brother runs a Woodmizer, and I get my firewood from his mill scrap. Needless to say, he has a lot of logs to mill this year.

The fire danger hasn't been enough to limit his milling time this year, but he has had a challenge figuring where to shoehorn logs in 'till he can mill them.

I know that we are due for more precipitation, but snow?, or rain? I just hope it isn't both. I have seen two really bad Pineapple Express years, which meant severe flooding in the valley. I also remember several bad snow years, which weren't bad for those of us in the mountains, but really played havoc in the valley.

Most of us up here plan for the worst. It is funny how many people up here are some type of prepper whether they know it or not.

Jacki
    AS LONG AS IT IS NOT "FREEZING RAIN" there is not much worry about either snow or rain.
    One time here, years ago, Freezing rain left our suburban housing area without power FOR TWO WEEKS!
    Jesus didn't MERELY only physically "die on the cross". He so loved us that
    It was God, suffering, bearing the sin, shame, guilt and punishment
    for every single person who had, or would ever live.
    So Justice could be preserved, Enabling Grace and Mercy to all who believe.

Great Lakes here, Ohio side. I think we are on track as normal, the leaves are still all green, fruit is ripening on time, still hot here like summer. There does seem to be an abundance of apples. I still see the Canadian geese lingering around. No signs of early fall here.

Spent most of the summer in RI working. Was near my folks so I was there a lot. My father is a birder and he was saying that he was seeing birds already migrating that he doesn't see until Sept/Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    Our weather has been almost exactly the same and I asked someone from near Seattle (but outside the city) a few days ago at the con what the weather had done since I left, we compared notes and for some weird reason nearly all Summer our weather has been nearly the same at the same time.

Before and during my visit there was a "heat-wave here" and one in Seattle (between 70 and 80 degrees a bit colder on Puget Sound of course) then it got cool here and it got cool there - this past week for Worldcon it was cool and wet and my informant said it was almost identical when he left.

Since my Kindle despite following all instructions still thinks it is in Seattle I get the daily weather there and it is getting almost to the bizarro world they are so close.

Now Ireland really is VERY far North (we are about the same as Newfoundland in Canada) I'd have to check but we might be around the same latitude as a bit above Vancouver BC which would mean this could be a Jet Stream thing.

Europe and even the UK have had extreme heatwaves which we have missed when they had eggs frying on sidewalks we just had perfect Zucinni weather for the first time ever but our carrots and potatoes totally failed (a bit too warm, and wet at the wrong times).

It was cool this week but supposed to be back into the 70s by Saturday, I'm not complaining but I have no idea what the weather will do this Winter - two Winters ago it was one of the coldest ever recorded by last Winter was "mild" by Irish standards.

Whatever happens, I think it may be a bit weird all over - I've been watching "Down Under" and they have had one heck of a cold an snowy Winter.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

definitely an early fall >>>> the worst possible weather prediction there is for the farmers - they really needed a hot/warm remainder of the growing season that they managed this year - and it's not looking good at all - wouldn't doubt seeing snow in a month ...
    Illini Warrior

I'm posting a link to this thread to the Grand Solar Minimum thread. Great info you all are posting here! We've noticed early fall signs down here in Texas....that's about a month earlier than normal for us. Sycamore trees are already beginning to change color (and it's not the dry weather, we've got them along creeks that are not dry. Wild ducks have flown in and are congregating on our ponds before they head further south, and despite the heat we're noticing a decent cooler breeze in the evening.

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...50#post7389650

It feels like it is cooling down early here in west central Minnesota as well. I don't think too many days in August broke 80. I just looked at the extended forecast for next week and it look like the temps will be in the 60's.
    Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

Quote Originally Posted by blueinterceptor View Post
    I was looking at my flowering cherry trees and birch trees. The leaves started changing and falling off within the last week here in eastern pa. I thought it was just me.
    Central PA reporting. The Plant Doctor on WHP radio informed us that this was due to the extended heat spells. While true, I think something else may be happening. We had so much rain last year that there were farmers who lost all crops and couldn't access parts of the unless they were using a boat.

We never completely dried out over the winter and by the end of June 2019, we were already 7" ahead with rain for the year. There are parts of my brother's farm that he couldn't plant this year. There is one section he had to plant twice.

When I look at the condition of the trees around me it seems clear that disease is stressing some of them.

Also, the barn swallows were flocking about two weeks early.

For all the birders out there- Are birds in your area molting early? Or are they starting the migration with old feathers ahead of the molt, just to get to warmer climes? If the latter, they will have more air flowing through the veins in those feathers which are worn out and old and have to claw their way through the air.

Also, with the Magnetosphere going out of whack and the poles changing a bit, are the birds going to be on course in their migrations? Anyone see birds flying off course or confused?
    Don't be dismayed by goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. --Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

The plants are confused with the up and down weather. I have blackberries that are still blooming, as others are dying down for winter.

I figure we are probably transitioning back to the weather of my childhood. Rain till the 4th of July . It will be worse if the dryness stays with colder weather. We shall see.

In Western PA it has been a milder Aug, good number of days with highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's Noticed a couple random leaves that have turned "fall red", also black cherry trees are already dropping leaves. We have lots of oak on the property as well, I'll have to do an acorn check this week.
    "The entire human race are neither my brothers nor kin. There is nothing noble about non-discrimination - concepts such as love, trust and brotherhood lose all meaning when discrimination is removed."

Northern Illinois here. Can't speak to any leaves falling...but we will moderate to mostly 70's throughout the next 10-15 days. I personally welcome it...I'd LOVE a September without running the A/C. I'd be thrilled if the next time I run it is May 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by mwrobel View Post
    Northern Illinois here. Can't speak to any leaves falling...but we will moderate to mostly 70's throughout the next 10-15 days. I personally welcome it...I'd LOVE a September without running the A/C. I'd be thrilled if the next time I run it is May 2020.

if you can remember back maybe 15 years ago we had the same summer conditions - it froze and snow fluries at the end of September - bad winter followed ....
    Illini Warrior

It's been a normal season temperature-wise around here, but I have noticed that the leaves started turning about two weeks ago, especially on the tulip poplars for some reason. Can't recall that ever happening this early. Already looking like it's going to be a long winter.
    Blue 5

Wherever you are, wherever God takes you, fly high.
    -Edward Ormondroyd

Upstate NY here, the leaves on my Japanese cut leaf maple have been turning for almost three weeks. I thought stress at first but now it's getting cooler. I went for a drive last weekend and up near the lake the leaves have started to turn also. Hard winter is coming.
    Last edited by Redcat; 08-22-2019 at 09:37 AM.