Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Appomattox court house visit /pictures for you to enjoy
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Glad you didn't mind my adding the pics, AlfaMan. Didn't want to hijack your thread.

AlfaMan do you like old time mountain music? Would love to take you and Mrs Alfa to the Floyd Country Store. It's our nearest town about 20 miles away. It's on what's called the Crooked Road music trail. A tiny town of about 450 people, but here's a clip of what goes on there every Friday night, rain or shine, all year long. It's been going on for about a hundred years there. In fact it's happening right now as I type this I think it's the reason so many of these mountain people live so long! They start with an hour of gospel music then they fire up the flatfooting. Usually three bands. If you don't like what's playing in the store, just step outside and the whole street is filled with musicians. You should come on down.

Run time about 3 mins. There are many other vids on YT but I like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy3TFuI4q7o

That looks like loads of fun, goosebeans. I don't think I'm coordinated enough to do it, but it sure would be fun to try. Looks exhausting though! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you AlphaMan for the history trip via your pictures. Makes me want to visit.
    And Goosebeans! Beautiful place you have! And the music wow.
    I feel a road trip coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    Nice pictures. I always enjoy going to places like what was shown.

It is a great way to understand history and relearn what was already known.

The one thing I never understood was gutters. I realize they put them on the houses now for upkeep purposes, but did they have them before? Did they use any gutter system?

Thanks!!!
    Older homes sometimes have built in gutters. They don't look like gutters from the ground, as they are part of the house itself.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Goosebeans, I believe I will always think of you as "lucky duck" now that I ve been treated to a bit of your home!

Couldn't help thinking too of how much effort I have to put into keeping the glutes toned, while your exercise is a built
    in by product of living, as Alfa mentions, inna piece of heaven bound to the earth.

Also just an aside, does your home have the fireplaces on each gable end, too? So lovely, and I envy you....i think it kills
    a lil bit of me to have to, finallt, settle for living in a modern home (its not even 100 yo yet!).

Thanks again, for all the details, and pics! : )
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    I myself am entirely made of flaws, stiched together with good intentions.
    MOON™~> all in the ignorant opinion of an uneducated slip of a woman who keeps forgetting to mind her manners, know her place and bow down to her betters

Quote Originally Posted by jward View Post
    Goosebeans,

Also just an aside, does your home have the fireplaces on each gable end, too? So lovely, and I envy you....i think it kills
    a lil bit of me to have to, finallt, settle for living in a modern home (its not even 100 yo yet!).

Thanks again, for all the details, and pics! : )
    jward, building those stone walls is what keeps me in shape! There's a brick chimney and fireplace on the left side and evidence of another chimney - no fireplace- in the center of the house. The house has gone through many changes so we're not sure how it looked originally. It had no running water until the mid nineties. That's also when the driveway was built and what's now our kitchen. The 97 y/o neighbor said that the left half of the house is hewn logs, now sided over. I can tell you, old houses are a lot of work! And nothing is straight or level. I think my husband sometimes wishes we'd bought a brand new place. There's always something letting go. We've gone all summer - high nineties- with no AC. When I saw the electric bill, I told him "don't fix it!". We bought the place just before he retired from the military. I really wanted an old house with history to it but hubby was adamant that he wasn't moving us into something unsafe while he was still away. Fortunately, the previous owner had just redone all the plumbing and electrical.

Here's a pic of how it looked somewhere around the early 70s and also the flooding we experienced last year! Well, There went the lights, the phone, the internet and the road out!
    Attached Images

Thoroughly enjoyable thread, thank you all for the pictures and stories.
    “Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.”

Beautiful work on those walls. The flooding is terrifying, especially seeing it creeping up towards your donkeys.
    These pics only cement my opinion that your true screen name should be "lucky duck" lol.

As far as historical homes they're a passion of mine too, and sometimes on a restless night it occurs to me I might
    just have another restoration in me... ; ). Thanks, truly, for sharing yours.
    Last edited by jward; 08-17-2019 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Keeping house o course
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    I myself am entirely made of flaws, stiched together with good intentions.
    MOON™~> all in the ignorant opinion of an uneducated slip of a woman who keeps forgetting to mind her manners, know her place and bow down to her betters

Thanks AlfaMan for starting this thread.......there are so many things I enjoy about traveling across USA and that video of the Country dancers reminded me of another really memorable thing we did, not in VA but in Tennessee.

Dropped in for a drink at a little dance club near out motel, and it was quiet for an hour, then all of a sudden people emerged from everywhere for the National Anthem!! Took off their hats, hands over hearts and SANG!.......we were so impressed by the respect. Then they got down to the real stuff - the country dancing. We loved that evening so much.

Nothing like it - Patriotic Americans.......
    True North Strong and Free

Thank you. I was channeling this famous farm (in the bottom picture), It's not too far from where I grew up in England It's much, much older than ours though. I was grieving so much when my Mum died, I just started building to occupy my mind.. Hope I can finish the whole drive before I turn 70!

Laurane, your Tennessee trip sounds wonderful!
    Attached Images

Yes indeed I love mountain music! And I am SO glad to see that it's still alive and well.That lady in the green blouse has got some moves!
    When I was growing up we used to go to the local festivals and dance; and there used to be a yearly festival in our area where the old guys would get on a hay wagon pulled by a tractor and they would play down the whole parade route. Then the parade would end at the park and those guys would play half the night. SO much fun!

Took my wife many years ago to a similar event back home in Helen, GA. She had never seen anything like this before, but in a very short time she was having a great time. We danced for hours.

Might have to check out your country store one of these days-looks like lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by goosebeans View Post
    Glad you didn't mind my adding the pics, AlfaMan. Didn't want to hijack your thread.

AlfaMan do you like old time mountain music? Would love to take you and Mrs Alfa to the Floyd Country Store. It's our nearest town about 20 miles away. It's on what's called the Crooked Road music trail. A tiny town of about 450 people, but here's a clip of what goes on there every Friday night, rain or shine, all year long. It's been going on for about a hundred years there. In fact it's happening right now as I type this I think it's the reason so many of these mountain people live so long! They start with an hour of gospel music then they fire up the flatfooting. Usually three bands. If you don't like what's playing in the store, just step outside and the whole street is filled with musicians. You should come on down.

Run time about 3 mins. There are many other vids on YT but I like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy3TFuI4q7o

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    Yes indeed I love mountain music! And I am SO glad to see that it's still alive and well.That lady in the green blouse has got some moves!
    When I was growing up we used to go to the local festivals and dance; and there used to be a yearly festival in our area where the old guys would get on a hay wagon pulled by a tractor and they would play down the whole parade route. Then the parade would end at the park and those guys would play half the night. SO much fun!

Took my wife many years ago to a similar event back home in Helen, GA. She had never seen anything like this before, but in a very short time she was having a great time. We danced for hours.

Might have to check out your country store one of these days-looks like lots of fun!
    Let's not forget to mention the annual "Old Fiddler's Convention" in Galax, VA.

http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/

Bluegrass music at its finest.

As a historical footnote - Bristol, VA/TN (town straddles the border line between both states) is the original home of country music, before it was later moved to Nashville, TN. Still quite a bit of country music/bluegrass activity in that town, today.

intothegoodnight
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

— Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Oh yes! Was down in Galax a couple of weeks ago. We've never made it to the Old Fiddler's Convention though. We usually catch some of it on the radio. I think Galax is also a venue on the Crooked Road. We've met a number of tourists who planned their whole vacation traveling from one venue to the next. We haven't been to the country store for quite a while. My husband can dance but I just jig around. No one cares, it's just a lot of fun and a major detox from the craziness going on. I'll tell you, I've seen some of those old timers dance just about every tune, three hours straight! No wonder they're still able to go out making hay well into their 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by goosebeans View Post
    Oh yes! Was down in Galax a couple of weeks ago. We've never made it to the Old Fiddler's Convention though. We usually catch some of it on the radio. I think Galax is also a venue on the Crooked Road.
    A bit of background:

http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/history.htm

History Of The Old Fiddler's Convention — Galax, VA

Before the second weekend in August each year, lovers of country and mountain music leave their homes in time to be in Galax, VA for the Annual Old Fiddler's Convention. For some this means hundreds of miles of travel, while for others it will be a short trip from their nearby homes. Most of these people don't play music, and come just for the listening and renewing old acquaintances.

However, a few hundred come with their instruments to show their skill, and compete for the cash prizes which total thousands of dollars. But most of them would come without the prizes being offered. They want to see and be seen, and hear and be heard. The instruments vary from mouth harps in pockets to bull fiddles strapped on top of cars. Many of these musicians have played in most of the conventions since 1935, but this group is growing smaller by the year.

The Old Fiddler's Convention was originated in the spring of 1935 when a few members of the then new Moose Lodge #733 needed something to raise funds and promote publicity. In a newspaper item at the time it was stated that the Convention was dedicated to "Keeping alive the memories and sentiments of days gone by and make it possible for people of today to hear and enjoy the tunes of yesterday". The original purpose is held in the same regard today, and the sponsors feel that in some measure this purpose has been accomplished.

Two conventions were held in 1935, but by the last one that fall the indoor facilities had been outgrown, and the convention was moved to Felts Park, and has been held there each year since except when weather forced it indoors temporarily. One convention was omitted during World War II, due to limitations of travel.

The Old Fiddler's Convention has grown steadily until now each year people must be notified often that SRO is available in the park and room for parking is filled.

In 1965, a Saturday afternoon program was started to relieve the pressure on Saturday night. In 1967 NBC-TV covered the entire three nights and Saturday afternoon. A few years ago a Wednesday night performance was added. In 1999, Tuesday night competition was added. A Fiddlers' Youth Competition was added in 2000, which added Monday night to the schedule.

A unique aspect of the convention is the camping area where the musicians rehearse and try to get in tune. Some listeners and onlookers follow these bands around and lose contact with what's happening on the stage. Often dancers and players try out their abilities in the parking lot when they would not dare go on the stage.

Contestants must register in advance of the convention and there is no charge for registration. Some of these come from distant states and at times from foreign countries, but when they play, the tunes are usually the same that have been heard at the convention down through the years.

In the early years, the contestants came chiefly from Carroll, Grayson, and adjoining counties in Virginia and North Carolina. Now bands and individual performers come from the big cities, the college campuses, and every place where the old music is loved and played.

The promoters feel that the Annual Old Fiddler's Convention is fast becoming a tradition in country and mountain musical circles, and will do their best to continue bringing to you the tunes which have been handed down from generation to generation in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The fact that many of the contestants are youngsters is encouraging, and we feel that the future of Folk and Country Music is secure.
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

— Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

LOVE the thread, my kind of history. Have not been to the Courthouse yet, its on my list!

There is a signing portrait in Grant's house in Galena IL too. Similar but slightly different angle.

https://thewalkingtourists.com/wp-co...6/IMG_8319.jpg

Feels like a very solemn and reverent kind of place, thanks for sharing!