Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

POL President Trump Eyes a New Real-Estate Purchase: Greenland
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The state I live in has a population of 21.3 million or 353.4 people per square mile

The population of Greenland is 56,171 or 0.1 people per square mile...

If it became part of the U.S. I would move there in a heartbeat.
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

What’s the internal temperature of a Tauntaun?

Just lukewarm.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    It’s a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    I’m not afraid of dying...I just don’t want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by yellowlabz View Post
    Please don't ship illegals there -- I WILL GO THERE TO LIVE -- Supposedly THERE ARE NO SNAKES IN GREENLAND!! I had a snake encounter a few weeks ago and I was researching where I could live without the possibility of seeing one! And with this timing, it's like President Trump knew! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Buick Electra View Post
    That's 2 of us YL!
    Ireland, Greenland, Iceland and New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Echo 5 View Post
    We can turn it into America's Australia. All great empires need one!
    We've never been a great empire.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

I really don't know enough about the place. Whether the culture and population is more arctic native (Inuit, etc) or Norse...(like Iceland).

I guess there really aren't enough people to make much of an impact economically one way or the other. But culture/work ethic matters if they are to join the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    I really don't know enough about the place. Whether the culture and population is more arctic native (Inuit, etc) or Norse...(like Iceland).

I guess there really aren't enough people to make much of an impact economically one way or the other. But culture/work ethic matters if they are to join the fold.
    Saw a few yutube vids yesterday on Greenland. By the look of it, mostly Inuit.

Southside

Quote Originally Posted by Marthanoir View Post
    Ireland, Greenland, Iceland and New Zealand
    Packing my bags as I'm typing
    Therefore be ye also ready; for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. Matt. 24:44

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    The state I live in has a population of 21.3 million or 353.4 people per square mile

The population of Greenland is 56,171 or 0.1 people per square mile...

If it became part of the U.S. I would move there in a heartbeat.
    No kidding. It would be a great place to live.

By way of update, fair use cited so on and so forth.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-were-not-sale

Greenland Responds To Trump: "We're Not For Sale"

by Tyler Durden
    Fri, 08/16/2019 - 09:55

Greenland's government told President Donald Trump on Friday that the island was "not for sale" following reports the president has entertained the idea of trying to buy the autonomously government Danish territory.

Notably, the US had reportedly proposed to buy Greenland from Denmark in 1946 for $100 million, but Denmark balked.

Buying Greenland would make some strategic sense from a military perspective, according to some sources quoted in the press. For example, the US currently maintains a large military base, the Thule Air Base, in Greenland. It is the US military's northernmost base, situated 750 miles north of the Arctic Circle. And Beijing has also been eyeing the island as a key strategic asset in the battle for dominance in the Arctic.

U.S. Retail Sales Top Estimates Behind Surge in Online Sales
    In a tweet, Greenland's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the island is "open for business, but we're not for sale."

Greenland MFA ����
    @GreenlandMFA
    #Greenland is rich in valuable resources such as minerals, the purest water and ice, fish stocks, seafood, renewable energy and is a new frontier for adventure tourism. We're open for business, not for sale❄️���������� learn more about Greenland on: http://Greenland.com

Greenland - The Official Tourism Site. Find your adventure here! - [Visit Greenland!]
    All about Greenland. Find travel offers and ideas for your next adventure. Get inspired and plan your trip to Greenland here.

visitgreenland.com
    7:49 AM - Aug 16, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    2,362 people are talking about this

Politicians in Denmark's parliament were somewhat more blunt. Both of the country's political parties declared the idea a "disaster."

"I am sure a majority in Greenland believes it is better to have a relation to Denmark than the United States, in the long term," said Danish MP Aaja Chemnitz Larsen, of the Inuit Ataqatigiit (IA) party. "My immediate thought is 'No, thank you,'" she continued.

A spokesman for the Danish People's Party, a center-right conservative party and the country's third largest, said the plan was "ridiculous."

"If he is truly contemplating this, then this is final proof, that he has gone mad," spokesman Soren Espersen told some local press. "The thought of Denmark selling 50,000 citizens to the United States is completely ridiculous."

The rumors touched a nerve given Trump's planned trip to Copenhagen next month. Some speculated that he might be really going to check out some new real estate.

Not to get too technical, but by our estimation, the US has more military hardware on Greenland than the Kingdom of Denmark, which doesn't bode well for these "ownership" claims from the Danes.

At any rate, the report last night that Trump had at least somewhat seriously inquired about buying Greenland inspired a legion of memes, including this photoshopped image of Trump Tower Greenland.

Disgruntled Federal Worker
    @VirtuousTroll
    Trump Tower #Greenland

View image on Twitter
    8:23 PM - Aug 15, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    37 people are talking about this

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Disgruntled Federal Worker
    @VirtuousTroll
    Trump Tower #Greenland
    Greenland in ten years

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post

Just lukewarm.

Well, so much for Greenland joining us, or us joining them.
    Psalm 116
    1 I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.
    2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

East of The Democratic Peoples Republic of Tucson

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post

Just lukewarm.
    Groan!

Randy in Arizona

Participating in a gun buy back because you believe that the criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you believe that the neighbors have too many kids.

Arguing with a libtard is like playing chess with a pigeon...it'll just knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

Since the Chinese control the Panama Canal it may be in the interests of the US to control Greenland and shipping through the area. There could be more to this.
    https://geology.com/articles/northwest-passage.shtml

Climate change has opened a shipping route through the Canadian Arctic

Article by: , Ph.D., RPG

Northwest Passage map (See Below)

What Is the Northwest Passage?

The Northwest Passage is a sea route that connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans through the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. In the past, the Northwest Passage has been virtually impassable because it was covered by thick, year-round sea ice. However, in the past few years, climate change is allowing commercial traffic to pass through the Arctic Ocean via this once-impossible route.

The potential benefits of a clear Northwest Passage are significant. Ship routes from Europe to eastern Asia would be 4,000 kilometers (2,500 miles) shorter. Alaskan oil could move quickly by ship to ports in the eastern United States. The vast mineral resources of the Canadian North will be much easier and economical to develop and ship to market.

There has been a progressive, year-by-year decline in the thickness and extent of Arctic sea ice. The graph on this page shows how the extent of Arctic sea ice has been on a steady decline between 1979 and 2014.

NASA studies have shown that the extent of Arctic sea ice is declining at a rate of several percent per decade. As the ice cover is removed, solar radiation penetrates the water and warms it, instead of being reflected from the white ice.

Another factor that contributes to warming of the Arctic Ocean is the increase in discharge rates of rivers draining from Eurasia. These freshwater rivers now receive increasing runoff from melting glaciers. This runoff is much warmer than the Arctic Ocean water. The net result is a slight warming of the Arctic Ocean waters and a dilution of salinity.

Northwest Passage Map

The map at the top (Bottom now) of this page shows possible routes through the Northwest Passage. Ships traveling west would enter the Passage through Baffin Bay, pass through the Canadian Arctic Archipelago by various routes, exit into the Beaufort Sea and then out into the Pacific Ocean through the Chukchi Sea and Bering Sea.

During the past few years, satellite images taken near the end of the Arctic summer often show that large portions of the Passage are relatively ice-free. In September, satellite images show that the Arctic Ocean has been clear enough to sail straight through the Northwest Passage. (Related: Arctic Ocean Features Map)
    Early History of the Northwest Passage

The economic value of a short route connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans was appreciated early. The Spanish referred to this route as the "Straight of Anián," and Francisco de Ulloa started searching the Baja California peninsula area for it in 1539. English explorers, including Martin Frobisher, John Davis, and Henry Hudson searched for it from the Atlantic side in the late 1500s and early 1600s. These expeditions were unsuccessful.

Explorations continued through the 1600s and 1700s without success. Then in 1849 Robert McClure passed through the Bering Strait with the intent of sailing through to the Atlantic. His ship was trapped in the ice not far from making it to Viscount Melville Sound and probable passage to the Atlantic. Finally, after spending three winters on the ice and dying of starvation, McClure and crew were rescued by a sledge party from one of Sir Edward Belcher's ships and transported by sledge to the Sound. McClure and his crew became the first to survive a trip through the Northwest Passage.

Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen and his crew were the first to cross the Northwest Passage entirely by sea in 1906. Although the crossing was an important "first," it had little economic value because the journey took three years and used waters that were too shallow for commercial shipping. The first single-season trip through the passage was by Henry Larsen and crew in 1944. Again, the route taken was not deep enough for commercial shipping.

First Deep Draft & Commercial Vessel Crossing

In 1957, three United States Coast Guard Cutters - Storis, Bramble, and SPAR - became the first ships to cross the Northwest Passage along a deep draft route. They covered the 4,500 miles of semi-charted water in 64 days.

The first ship capable of carrying significant cargo to traverse the Passage was the SS Manhattan, a specially reinforced supertanker, in 1969. It was accompanied by the John A. MacDonald, a Canadian icebreaker. This trip was taken to test the Northwest Passage as an alternative to building the Alaska Pipeline. At that time, it was determined that the Northwest Passage was not economical, and the Alaska Pipeline was built.
    International Waters or Canadian Waters?

All routes through the Northwest Passage pass between the islands of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. On that basis, Canada claims the route as "Canadian Internal Waters." However, the United States military has sent ships and submarines through the Passage without notification to Canada based upon the philosophy that the Passage is an International Water. This is one of many issues in the "who owns the Arctic Ocean?" question.
    Future of the Northwest Passage

Commercial use of the Northwest Passage might be a very tiny benefit of climate change. Billions of dollars in transportation costs could be saved each year if the passage remains open and reliable for a few months of the year. There will also be time and energy savings. Canada has the most to gain should the Northwest Passage become a viable shipping route. This will facilitate Canada's development of northern lands and provide an important economic and military possession if their claim to control is upheld.
    Attached Images

So, how do you go about buying a big island like this? WHO owns it now?
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    So, how do you go about buying a big island like this? WHO owns it now?
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Cacheman View Post
    Denmark
    Have they got it up for sale? Or is Trump assuming that if he offers enough, they will sell it?
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    Have they got it up for sale? Or is Trump assuming that if he offers enough, they will sell it?
    They did sell us the Danish West Indies, today it's the Virgin Islands. They've turned down past offers for Greenland though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacheman View Post
    They did sell us the Danish West Indies, today it's the Virgin Islands. They've turned down past offers for Greenland though.
    They want the fish.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

I would vote for us to just take it. Then if that goes good, take Canada. And use Canadians to build the southern wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    It would be a money pit.
    Unfortunately, I can see Trump doing this; superficially, it would leave him with a Jeffersonian-like legacy.
    I really wish he would just work on what he campaigned on.

Perhaps Greenland's best hope is the coming GSM, soon to be preserved under a mile high ice-pack.
    Greenland warmed during the last GSM. Maybe the best evidence we've seen the .gov is aware of the coming cold calamity.
    Last edited by rolenrock; 08-16-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typos

WWG1WGA

If you don't know about the Grand Solar Minimum, you should learn about it NOW! Go check out the Grand Solar Minimum thread in the Earth Changes part of TB2K, it may be the most important upcoming event you learn about this year... or this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by rolenrock View Post
    Greenland warmed during the last GSM. Maybe the best evidence we've seen the .gov is aware of the coming cold calamity.
    Perhaps, just perhaps, President Trump is a far sighted genius.
    Trump, for his own reasons, chose to open this discussion.
    SS
    “Then the creatures of the high air answered to the battle, .., and the woods trembled and the wind sobbed telling them, the earth shook,; the witches of the valley, and the wolves of the forests, howled from every quarter and on every side of the armies, urging them against one another.”
    ― Lady Gregory, Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland

On a global map a straight line is not always the shortest rout.

Having a major freight airport in Greenland would not only have potential strategic value but economic as well. An airport there could not only facilitate trade with parts of northern Europe but Russia as well, via the pole. Russia has a lot of natural resources to exploit, a government more incline to exploit them and may lack the environmental laws inhibiting US entrepreneurs. Has anyone looked for oil or natural gas under Greenland? Just wondering....
    Last edited by Old Gray Mare; 08-16-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    I would vote for us to just take it. Then if that goes good, take Canada. And use Canadians to build the southern wall.
    Maybe we could just annex it?
    B 4 1 502

One's Perceived Valor is greatly enhanced by a Keyboard......Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gray Mare View Post
    On a global map a straight line is not always the shortest rout.

Has anyone looked for oil or natural gas under Greenland? Just wondering....
    https://phys.org/news/2011-04-greenland-oil-firms.html
    Those estimates put the oil reserves in Greenlandic waters at some 52 billion oil barrels, 17 billion of which would lie between the island's west coast and the eastern coast of Canada's Baffin island, and 31.4 billion to Greenland's north-east.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblepuff View Post

Bumble,

Nice to see you back

Southside

Quote Originally Posted by Shacknasty Shagrat View Post
    Perhaps, just perhaps, President Trump is a far sighted genius.
    Trump, for his own reasons, chose to open this discussion.
    SS
    At time that Eric the Red discovered Greenland, it actually was green due to the warm temperatures of that era. And if global warming takes place as forecast by the Doomers, Greenland may be the place to be.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

On a serious note, I hope that the ZUSA won't be put up for sale because of all the debt the gov owes.
    https://safeg.net/home A Safe Alternative to Harmful 5G Wireless

Psalm 94:1 O Lord, the God of vengeance, O God of vengeance, let your glorious justice shine forth! 2 Arise, O Judge of the earth. Give the proud what they deserve. 3 How long, O Lord? How long will the wicked be allowed to gloat?

Trump CANCELS meeting with Danish PM after she refuses to discuss selling Greenland
    Published time: 20 Aug, 2019 23:59

HomeWorld News
    Trump CANCELS meeting with Danish PM after she refuses to discuss selling Greenland
    Published time: 20 Aug, 2019 23:59
    RT
    © Reuters Pictures Archive
    © Reuters Pictures Archive
    US President Donald Trump has cancelled a meeting with the Danish PM after she unequivocally shot down his dreams of purchasing resource-rich Greenland, a much-memed possibility about which the president was quite serious.
    Trump thanked PM Mette Frederiksen for being “so direct” and sparing “a great deal of expense and effort” for both countries, which apparently have few pressing matters to discuss absent the gigantic and seemingly absurd real-estate purchase. The meeting, scheduled for two weeks into the future, would be postponed “for another time,” the president tweeted on Monday.

Frederiksen refused to even entertain the possibility, calling the purchase “absurd” and explaining more than once that “Greenland is not for sale” - and that it isn’t Denmark’s to sell, anyway. Trump, for his part, has floated the idea of purchasing the landmass multiple times, musing that “it would be nice” for strategic purposes.

ALSO ON RT.COM
    Art of the steal? Trump’s ‘bid’ for Greenland screams American exceptionalism & foul play
    The US already has an airbase on Greenland, and Trump had apparently reasoned that because Denmark is an ally of the US, it would be willing to part with the land, the administration of which costs $700 million annually. However, the island is home to 55,000 people, many of whom are Danish nationals and probably have mixed feelings about becoming US subjects. It has its own Prime Minister and controls its own domestic affairs, though Copenhagen takes care of its military defense and foreign policy.

Danish politicians echoed their leader’s dismissal of the American offer, calling the idea “completely ridiculous” and an “April fool’s joke,” and even Trump seemed to find the humor in the possibility, tweeting a photoshopped image of a solid gold Trump Tower in the middle of a Greenland village with the tagline “I promise not to do this to Greenland!
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    I myself am entirely made of flaws, stiched together with good intentions.
    MOON™~> all in the ignorant opinion of an uneducated slip of a woman who keeps forgetting to mind her manners, know her place and bow down to her betters