Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Seed Seed Germination Tweeked
+ Reply to Thread

Seed Germination Tweeked

About all I'm going to manage for the fall this year is a bucket garden. I've been starting seeds in the little peat pots that expand when you wet them and the germination rate has not been that great. Plus they are just one more thing to spend money on.

The man in this video put a new twist on starting seeds on a wet paper towel in a baggy. Just a simple thing that makes it so much easier, he turns the bag over so the seeds are sprouting under the paper towel instead of the roots growing through the paper towel. You can skip ahead on the video to see it.

I have had 100% germination and it is much more economical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dirz0WIMQi0&t=25s 16:44

I’ve done this, and it’s worked really well. It’s a good way to tell if older seeds are still viable. I bought dried hot peppers to make enchilada sauce with. I’m going to save the seeds and use this method to see if I can grow my own next year.
    I could make it cheaper!!!

Nice, thanks for the link. My germination rate this year in those little peat pods was very poor!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Thats the method I use for all my vines, and any older seeds. With the vines, instead of planting several seeds in a hill and then hoping you get one strong seedling (meanwhile, if 4-5 grow, you waste all but one by snipping the extras) you only plant obviously vigorous sprouts. Saves a LOT of seeds, and jump starts the season by as much as 10 days, especially if the garden soil is still cool.

Summerthyme