Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OP-ED This Is Why Woodstock 50 Was Just Canceled
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This Is Why Woodstock 50 Was Just Canceled

I would have gone since it was close except that I was getting married the next week. So not good timing for me. I am just as glad now.

This Is Why Woodstock 50 Was Just Canceled

August 12, 2019 | John Horvat II

Of the rock festivals of the sixties, the Woodstock Music and Art Fair was by far the most famous. Held on a 600-acre dairy farm near Bethel, N.Y. on August 15–17, 1969, the festival is the iconic representation of the drug-addled culture and sexual revolution that upended American life. This August marks the fiftieth anniversary of the era-defining event. Some have called for celebrating with another concert.

The occasion is hardly a cause for celebration—so many of the cultural changes after Woodstock had catastrophic consequences. Most do not know that the concert was a disaster—even from an organizational point of view.

What Went Wrong

Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong.

The organizers planned an event for 200,000 people. Nearly 400,000 people crashed the gates where they demanded and received free admission. Security fell apart. The highways were clogged with cars trying to get to the event. Heavy rains created a sea of mud that mixed with the promiscuity, drugs and marijuana that dominated the festival.
    John Fogerty, from the rock group Creedence Clearwater Revival, described an early morning scene as “sort of like a painting of a Dante scene, just bodies from hell, all intertwined and asleep, covered with mud.”

Saving Woodstock

The “establishment” that the hippies condemned saved Woodstock. Professionals had already arranged to attract concertgoers by promising a star-studded cast that included Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Santana, the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, and the Jefferson Airplane. A sympathetic media turned the logistic and moral disaster into a hippie legend by repackaging the event as “three days of peace and music.” When order broke down, the government stepped in with personnel from nearby Stewart Air Force Base. They flew in performers and put men on the ground to keep things from descending into total disorder.

Capitalizing on Woodstock’s fiftieth anniversary, promoters hoped to recreate the “magic” of the original festival. It seems they only managed to recreate the disaster. As in 1969, everything has gone wrong. However, this time, the establishment did not come to the rescue. Even the media were nowhere to be found. Scheduled for August 16-18, Woodstock 50 was abruptly canceled on July 31.

Woodstock—A Symbol of What Went Wrong With the Sixties

Woodstock is symbolic of all that went wrong with the sixties. The mud fest of sex, drugs and music represented a cultural revolution that destroyed morals, customs and manners. What happened at Woodstock would later be mainstreamed across America so that today the radical behavior manifested there is generalized and accepted.

The atmosphere of nudity and indecency at the festival, for example, prefigured the destruction of modesty and propriety seen in today’s fashions. The unbridled passions unleashed at Woodstock pushed the envelope of what causes scandal so that today nothing seems to shock anymore.

However, the worst was the spirit of Woodstock that soon permeated everywhere. Its hippie generation fled from things that were reasoned, structured and systematized in favor of all that is spontaneous, carefree and impulsive. The civilization of the image and sensationalism replaced intellectual effort and abstract thought. People rejected discipline and restraint and called for an end to all rules.

“It is forbidden to forbid!” shouted the student protesters at France’s Sorbonne University in 1968. Across the Atlantic on the trash-littered fields at Woodstock, a generation embraced an anything-goes culture where you could “do your own thing.”

The Woodstock Illusion

The myth of Woodstock claimed the event was all about a new age of freedom, love and peace. Without the restraints of Christian morals and social structures, people could “imagine” a perfect world and live together in harmony without property, authority and God.

However, as in all utopic fantasies, reality crashes through the illusions. A Woodstock world is a nightmare. Indeed, without courtesy and propriety, society becomes full of friction and discord. When all is spontaneous and undefined, there can be no certainties and convictions. Where there is no restraint, the tyranny of unbridled passions rules.

Woodstock represented what America would eventually become—a broken and dysfunctional society. It shows what happens when “you do your own thing” without self-restraint.

Why Woodstock 50 Is No More

Thus, the logic of Woodstock makes the cancelation of its anniversary predictable. Woodstock 50 failed because a Woodstock society cannot function in the real world. The festival could not imagine itself into existence.

In a do-your-own-thing world, Woodstock 50 suffered from the difficulty of generating interest beyond those things that absorb the individual lives of people.

Between nostalgic baby boomers and curious millennials, promoters hoped for an intergenerational audience of 150,000. The event organizers spent more than $32 million booking more than 80 acts. They paid handsomely for top names: Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, Santana, Imagine Dragons and others were scheduled to perform. Even some of the rock groups present in 1969 agreed to come on board.

A Do-Your-Own-Thing Affair

However, like the original event, plans soon fell apart when no one wanted to make the necessary commitments to make it work. Financial backers and festival partners backed out of the deal. Promoters failed to secure the needed municipal permits. The venue changed three times. No one wanted to touch the event.

Town officials in two small towns in upstate New York opposed the plans fearing they might be overwhelmed by logistic nightmares like those that happened at the first event. It soon became apparent that Woodstock could no longer be held in New York. A smaller venue was finally secured at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Md.

With the smaller venue so far from the original site, the top stars that draw the great audiences dropped out of a downsized event that failed to match the size of their inflated egos. Soon, lesser acts also began to jump ship.

Even a last-minute attempt to turn the affair into a benefit for HeadCount, a nonprofit that registers voters at concerts, failed miserably.

The establishment failed to come to the rescue of the doomed reenactment.

In the end, apathy and individualism trumped peace and love.

The Failure of Woodstock

Woodstock and Woodstock 50 failed because the promises of peace and love were empty and meaningless. As the original event, Woodstock’s promotion of the sexual revolution was a disaster despite the establishment’s efforts to rescue it. Society has broken down because doing your own thing comes at a cost for others, including unborn babies, and the breaking of family relationships and healthy communities. Above all, Woodstock denied God and enshrined the individual as a god.

If America is polarized and directionless today, it is partly due to the cultural revolution that emanated from Woodstock. The solution is not to recreate Woodstock fifty years after but to reject it as the cultural and moral disaster that it was.
    https://www.tfp.org/this-is-why-wood...+real+world%3F

G.K. Chesterton, “It’s the first effect of not believing in God that you lose your common sense.”

"If anyone shall be outside the ark of Noe he shall perish when the flood prevails." St Jerome

Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus

Truth

Pray for the Consecration of Russia.

Peace

Central Illinois..halfway between here and there.

In a nutshell, this was Woodstock. Somehow, I cannot picture the spoiled, overly offended, safe space seeking, pussy hat wearing, living in mommy's basement, sky screamers of today making any type of effort to attend something like this.
    Needs more cowbell.
    "The Constitution only gives people the right to persue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin
    Proud member of fly-over country

Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post

In a nutshell, this was Woodstock. Somehow, I cannot picture the spoiled, overly offended, safe space seeking, pussy hat wearing, living in mommy's basement, sky screamers of today making any type of effort to attend something like this.
    LOL. I think they wanted to get the original, now old folks to go.

Can't you just see it? No thanks.
    G.K. Chesterton, “It’s the first effect of not believing in God that you lose your common sense.”

"If anyone shall be outside the ark of Noe he shall perish when the flood prevails." St Jerome

Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus

Truth

Pray for the Consecration of Russia.

Peace

Take in to consideration most of the people that attended the concert in 1969 are now 68 to 79 years old.
    Last edited by Publius; 08-13-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Thing is, the original was a total mess, too...rampant rumors of cancellation, etc. but people showed up anyway.
    Now those people are in their 70's, want handicapped parking and accessibility for their electric-battery-powered ass-hauler, a reservation at Holiday Inn and supper at 4:00 pm.

Younger folks? Live interaction with mud, sun, rain, bad cell service, live, un-computerized music and other humans? Not gonna happen.
    Besides, they'd have to get Mom to drive them because they don't have a car or a license.

Probably would have done better with something like a stadium sized event that ran for a few days.
    Get in some of the original groups that are still alive, some tribute type groups and a couple of newer performers in that genera.
    That would have been a success.

Most of the original attendees of that show are what 60-70 now? They don't want to be pissing in a field. They want bathrooms, beer stands, and other amenities.

Woodstock is done and over with............it has been romanticized to the extend of irrelevancy today.

Hippies were a joke (wussie commies for the most part)............glad I never lived that life style in the 60's.

And long hair is stupid.........especially on old men.

Some of the music was good but there is more to culture than music and that's where the rest of hippie crap didn't appeal to me.

Did you ever see the movie Easy Rider?............what the hell was that movie even about?.........

For as much as I liked growing up in the 60's Woodstock wasn't its defining moment to me......

When I look back on the music festival that I did not attend, I must say that the Melanie Safka song "Candles in the Rain", which turns out, refers to Woodstock, was a shock to me. I thought she was singing about Vietnam. Only when I saw the lyrics, "We bled inside each others' wounds", was metaphorical, and not actual, did I figure that out. Little did I know that she was singing about her experience at Woodstock. Really. I guess if that was the best/worst thing in you life was to stand in the rain and light candles in a muddy rock festival, well, then, you should consider yourself fortunate. Many of my peers and I were not so lucky. I still like the song, anyway.
    My Mate Winston

"And long hair is stupid.........especially on old men."

now just a galdarn minute there sonny

some of us old farts still have long hair

well.. as long as you don't count the middle

moses parts my hair

I will not pay full price for a haircut for half a head of hair

Quote Originally Posted by homepark View Post
    When I look back on the music festival that I did not attend, I must say that the Melanie Safka song "Candles in the Rain", which turns out, refers to Woodstock, was a shock to me. I thought she was singing about Vietnam. Only when I saw the lyrics, "We bled inside each others' wounds", was metaphorical, and not actual, did I figure that out. Little did I know that she was singing about her experience at Woodstock. Really. I guess if that was the best/worst thing in you life was to stand in the rain and light candles in a muddy rock festival, well, then, you should consider yourself fortunate. Many of my peers and I were not so lucky. I still like the song, anyway.
    and she was definatly (sp) a looker

back in the day

Woodstock? Woodstock is a masturbating tranny in the girls bathroom at Target. Woodstock is
    the community that invites crossdressing men to twerk and have children lay on them at a book reading in a public library. Woodstock is a mainstream "judeo-christian" organization promoting lesbians as pastors. Woodstock is the savior of america, the GOP, pushing #globohomo. No, no need to have a reminder concert, we see it in the news everyday.
    Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds!

Woodstock is #redfored

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Take in to consideration most of the people that attended the concert in 1969 are now 68 to 79 years old.

Heck thinking about the bands and musicians many of them are no longer with us (dead) and the ones that are still alive some are not able to travel.

John Horvat II has a stick up his ass about the size of a California Redwood.

Look him up on your favorite search engine....
    III

Keep ignoring my rights and I'll keep ignoring your laws.

Quote Originally Posted by PghPanther View Post
    Woodstock is done and over with............it has been romanticized to the extend of irrelevancy today.

Hippies were a joke (wussie commies for the most part)............glad I never lived that life style in the 60's.

And long hair is stupid .........especially on old men.

Some of the music was good but there is more to culture than music and that's where the rest of hippie crap didn't appeal to me.

Did you ever see the movie Easy Rider?............what the hell was that movie even about?.........

For as much as I liked growing up in the 60's Woodstock wasn't its defining moment to me......
    Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion. Man.
    Attached Images
    III

...and they never had to fire a shot. Some old commie said that sometime ago...
    (yes, I know who)
    Don't be dismayed by goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. --Richard Bach

Howdy, Folks!

Meh. These days, for a successful outdoor musical gathering - this is all that's really needed:

https://entertainment.theonion.com/n...s-i-1819577851

P&L,

DS

Profit & Loss?

Howdy, Folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Profit & Loss?

It's what makes the world go 'round...

Peace & Love,

Donald Shimoda

Thread pleads for this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZrdFJ66jNE
    4:24
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

“During the course of your life you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up!”

- President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Shimoda View Post
    Howdy, Folks!

It's what makes the world go 'round...

Peace & Love,

Donald Shimoda

What is the 127th Rule of Acquisition?

Don't use the blue Narcan...it's fake people, you'll just die anyway.
    You loose your buzz first and then Buzz Killer!
    Strange times are causing stranger measures...

1Cor 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.
    I Believe in a Just God.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Thread pleads for this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZrdFJ66jNE
    4:24

It took Crosby, Stills and Nash a day to work that out and turn into a song that was never foregotten by all that atended and made and held the charts top hits for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    It took Crosby, Stills and Nash a day to work that out and turn into a song that was never foregotten by all that atended and made and held the charts top hits for some time.
    Agreed, I always loved their version. I only posted Joni's cause she wrote it.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

“During the course of your life you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up!”

Quote Originally Posted by zeker View Post

moses parts my hair

hehe.........I hear you........I learned to cut my own hair since 1970 still have a full head of it too so lucky there........so I save a lot of money too.

All of the pop festivals in those days were squalid, that's what it was a squalid pop festival full of buckets of excreta........no political or artistic statement simply pop bands performing to an unorganised out of control crowd...........

Like Haight Asbury the squalid end of the unsustainable hippie culture who ran out of parent's money to sustain a non-working drug culture which only the pop groups could fund..........

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    All of the pop festivals in those days were squalid, that's what it was a squalid pop festival full of buckets of excreta........no political or artistic statement simply pop bands performing to an unorganised out of control crowd...........

Like Haight Asbury the squalid end of the unsustainable hippie culture who ran out of parent's money to sustain a non-working drug culture which only the pop groups could fund..........
    Just for you Boo...

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

RT 4:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i97OkCXwotE
    III

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

It sorta went underground, the rainbow family is a group that harkens back to those days. They travel around the country recreating the splendid squalor as much as they can.

“Even a last-minute attempt to turn the affair into a benefit for HeadCount, a nonprofit that registers voters at concerts, failed miserably.”

Thank The Lord!

They are having the 50th celbration at bethel woods, the site of the orginal woodstock no issue. Lots of great acts. The op is about a new festival at a different venue, the issue as always is the rap, violence, and shit culture they tried to put out as woodstock. A certain culture cant have peace, love for their fellow man, nor harmony. Glad its cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Shimoda View Post
    Howdy, Folks!

Meh. These days, for a successful outdoor musical gathering - this is all that's really needed:

https://entertainment.theonion.com/n...s-i-1819577851

P&L,

DS
    Now that is real stinkin' funny...and pathetic, too.

Reminds me of the time, back in the day, that my friends and I found out where the band (famous) was staying in their hotel after a rock concert in Duluth. We thought we would see if it was the right suite, check it out. We knocked on the door and could see tanks of...something...nitrous, yeah...must have been. We asked for an autograph and left right away. It looked even too weird for us.
    https://safeg.net/home A Safe Alternative to Harmful 5G Wireless

Psalm 94:1 O Lord, the God of vengeance, O God of vengeance, let your glorious justice shine forth! 2 Arise, O Judge of the earth. Give the proud what they deserve. 3 How long, O Lord? How long will the wicked be allowed to gloat?

Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post

They do it for Burning Man. I'm not sure if the event is on this month for Burning Man. Events like this are often out of control. I know why they call it Burning Man, the STDs caught at these events burn you. Just as well. There was only 1 Woodstock, it will never be relived again.

Quote Originally Posted by zeker View Post

moses parts my hair

King James Version
    Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV) "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

If from behind (where all you can see is hair length in most cases) you can't tell what's what (short hair on a woman, long hair on a man), there's something wrong there.

Likewise, if a man wearing a dress is a transvestite, then a woman wearing pants...?

================================================== ================

Related: what Ayn Rand thought of the Woodstock hippies, comparing it to the Apollo 11 mission to the moon:

https://courses.aynrand.org/works/apollo-and-dionysus/

Can't get it to copy, else I'd post it here. Unsurprisingly, she was infinitely more complimentary to NASA.
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    King James Version
    Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV) "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

If from behind (where all you can see is hair length in most cases) you can't tell what's what (short hair on a woman, long hair on a man), there's something wrong there.

Likewise, if a man wearing a dress is a transvestite, then a woman wearing pants...?

================================================== ================

Related: what Ayn Rand thought of the Woodstock hippies, comparing it to the Apollo 11 mission to the moon:

https://courses.aynrand.org/works/apollo-and-dionysus/

Can't get it to copy, else I'd post it here. Unsurprisingly, she was infinitely more complimentary to NASA.
    If you can't tell I'm a dude from looking at my behind, well, you have the problem, not me bud.
    III

LOL, I'm a woman wearing pants, actually jeans, a t shirt and boots. To me it makes me someone who just got through pulling a calf, in your mind what does it make me?
    “Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.”

Quote Originally Posted by eens View Post
    LOL. I think they wanted to get the original, now old folks to go.

Can't you just see it? No thanks.

Cancelled because of no wheelchair accessibility and an inadequate supply of depends.
    “I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”
    D. H. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Turret Buster View Post
    If you can't tell I'm a dude from looking at my behind, well, you have the problem, not me bud.
    Sounds like your jeans are sized WAY too tight, TB, if your sex is obvious from a rearward view of your @ss. Most guys would find that to, uh, squeeze important vulnerable things. Women and eunuchs don't have that problem with tight pants for obvious reasons. Hmmm...
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    Sounds like your jeans are sized WAY too tight, TB, if your sex is obvious from a rearward view of your @ss. Most guys would find that to, uh, squeeze important vulnerable things. Women and eunuchs don't have that problem with tight pants for obvious reasons. Hmmm...
    Thats cool. Oh, yeah, enjoy the view while your back there.
    III

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    What is the 127th Rule of Acquisition?
    "Stay neutral in conflict so that you can sell supplies to both sides."

https://xaeus.wordpress.com/2014/06/...own-so-far-en/