Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD Just made my first shrimp Alfredo from scratch. What I learned.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

6 Just made my first shrimp Alfredo from scratch. What I learned.

I had wanted to make an Alfredo sauce from scratch for a couple years now. I finally picked up some heavy whipping creme and shredded Parmesan cheese. I already had everything else. I found a recipe that looked good and followed it to the letter. It took about 10 minutes of prep and 15 minutes to make. Flavor was terrific, but I learned that the shredded Parmesan doesn’t melt well, so use the grated type (though not the ready-grated stuff in the plastic shaker containers.) Anyway, it’s quite good though the cheese is gritty. Next time I’ll know better.

ETA: Also, the recipe called for 2c parm. That made it WAY too salty. 1 1/2c is better I’m thinking.

And I fixed my “crime” problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    I had wanted to make an Alfredo sauce from scratch for a couple years now. I finally picked up some heavy whipping crime and shredded Parmesan cheese. I already had everything else. I found a recipe that looked good and followed it to the letter. It took about 10 minutes of prep and 15 minutes to make. Flavor was terrific, but I learned that the shredded Parmesan doesn’t melt well, so use the grated type (though not the ready-grated stuff in the plastic shaker containers.) Anyway, it’s quite good though the cheese is gritty. Next time I’ll know better.
    Sounds pretty good, but if I came for dinner would I be required to stay later for "heavy whipping crime"? I'm not sure if I'm up for that any more these days.

I make my own Alfredo sauce. Half and Half, butter, cream cheese, real Parmesan cheese grated, and salt to taste. I use the whipped cream cheese because it blends better. Use a whisk and stir until heated to bubbly. If I'm adding cooked chicken pieces to it I use chicken stock for half the milk. Lots of variations of this sauce to make it special with only a few ingredients.

Good for you, Dennis! I also tried this for the first time about 4 months ago, and it's so much better than the store-bought stuff. Once you've made your own, you'll never buy store-bought again. I have to say that, despite the price, I splurge and buy fresh, organic parmesan, and it makes anything that calls for parmesan cheese sooo much better! Even my DH commented on the better taste, and he normally doesn't notice that sort of thing. (If it's food, he doesn't care. ) It's definitely not as salty as the regular parmesan cheese either; just a really good flavor to it.

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    That's great Dennis!

I personally serve Alfredo from the jar because only a few of us like it. As a matter of fact, we were just talking about it the other day.

A couple of years ago, my youngest grandson hates it so much that once when he stayed overnight, he actually broke down on the floor and cried real tears when I said we were having Chicken Alfredo for supper! We laugh about it every time we tell it, much to his embarrassment!!!

Maybe if I take another shot at it and make it from scratch he won't cry and actually like it! (But I know I'd have to rename it and disguise it somehow, like red dye to simulate tomato sauce if he would even let it touch his plate! I would call it, "Chicken Altomatopseudo." )

Parm cheese will always be gritty even if its grated

Quote Originally Posted by RJV681 View Post
    Parm cheese will always be gritty even if its grated
    I love shrimp Alfredo.

I've never made it from scratch but I wonder if Gruyere or Asiago cheese would not be as gritty?

Sprinkle some hot pepper flakes on top when it is served!
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I've never had problems with the Parmesan being gritty but I learned long ago to buy the good Parmesan and grate it myself. A wedge of it is pricey but a little goes a long way.

I grate my Parmesan cheese on a micro plane and temperature is everything so it’s not grainy, and add a pinch of cayenne pepper as that the secret ingredient.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I've never had problems with the Parmesan being gritty but I learned long ago to buy the good Parmesan and grate it myself. A wedge of it is pricey but a little goes a long way.

Agreed!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by mom21 View Post
    Sounds pretty good, but if I came for dinner would I be required to stay later for "heavy whipping crime"? I'm not sure if I'm up for that any more these days.
    I think Helen would have words with you if you tried that, so be careful.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    It’s a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    I’m not afraid of dying...I just don’t want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I read somewhere, its the anti caking crap they add to the pre-grated zerox stuff, that makes it gritty.
    Looking back, the lion was a bad idea. That's why Dr. Shockla is gonna hook us up with a monkey. I'm gonna teach it taekwondo.

Yeah, karate monkey, yeah, that's probably safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Terriannie View Post
    That's great Dennis!

I personally serve Alfredo from the jar because only a few of us like it. As a matter of fact, we were just talking about it the other day.

A couple of years ago, my youngest grandson hates it so much that once when he stayed overnight, he actually broke down on the floor and cried real tears when I said we were having Chicken Alfredo for supper! We laugh about it every time we tell it, much to his embarrassment!!!

Maybe if I take another shot at it and make it from scratch he won't cry and actually like it! (But I know I'd have to rename it and disguise it somehow, like red dye to simulate tomato sauce if he would even let it touch his plate! I would call it, "Chicken Altomatopseudo." )
    My daughter refused to eat "quiche" but loved "cheese pie".

Yup, grew up in a full Italian family where mom’s spaghetti sauce was made with pork neck bones and took a full three days to cook. Use REAL parm, man up, and grate it yourself. Way, way more better!
    To most Christians, the Bible is like a software license. Nobody actually reads it. They just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree." - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    I grate my Parmesan cheese on a micro plane and temperature is everything so it’s not grainy, and add a pinch of cayenne pepper as that the secret ingredient.
    My secret ingredient is a pinch of nutmeg!

garnetgirl
    Mail Order Shortbread Cookies & More!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SwoonTheBa...=hdr_shop_menu

I was making a recipe a couple of weeks ago that called for cheese and the girl who provided the recipe said to add cheese last, not to boil it as it would be grainy if you did.
    Sherry in GA

One of the recipes I read on-line said that gruyere cheese was a better choice than parm, because the parm didn’t really melt properly into the sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by subnet View Post
    I read somewhere, its the anti caking crap they add to the pre-grated zerox stuff, that makes it gritty.
    That is true. Most cheese also has a tendency to turn gritty if melted at too high a heat for too long. Works better for me to finish the Alfredo, then turn off the heat and stir in the cheese until melted.

The “anti-caking crap” is cellulose. That is, paper.

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
    My daughter refused to eat "quiche" but loved "cheese pie".
    That's the way to go!!!

True Alfredo sauce is made with just butter and parm and some pasta water. No cream. It's actually better without the cream.
    "This place is fantastic! It's like "Gone With The Wind" on mescaline. They walk imaginary pets here...and they're all heavily armed and drunk..."
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Quote Originally Posted by subnet View Post
    I read somewhere, its the anticaking crap they add to the pre-grated zerox stuff, that makes it gritty.
    This^^^ hence the reason we buy it by the wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by garnetgirl View Post
    My secret ingredient is a pinch of nutmeg!

garnetgirl
    I can't stand the taste of nutmeg and it gives me horrible heartburn but would agree that in addition to cayenne most italians put in a pinch of nutmeg.

One of the recipes I read on-line said that gruyere cheese was a better choice than parm, because the parm didn’t really melt properly into the sauce.
    wrong! Parm does in fact melt!

I can't stand the taste of nutmeg and it gives me horrible heartburn but would agree that in addition to cayenne most italians put in a pinch of nutmeg.
    Many people don't like nutmeg for some reason. DD doesn't like nutmeg at all.

My mom taught me to add a pinch of nutmeg and a half teaspoon of marjoram to mashed potatoes.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

With whine it becomes “Fettuccine al Cuomo”

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriots Fan View Post
    With whine it becomes “Fettuccine al Cuomo”

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
    Fredo Sauce! You read my mind! 😂😂😂
    Far away across the field
    The tolling of the iron bell
    Calls the faithful to their knees
    To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

Some recipes call for an egg yolk ( just the yolk) stirred into the Alfredo sauce right at the end. I sometimes add it and it makes it richer tasting and thickens the sauce a bit. You can't taste the egg but be sure not to let it boil much after adding the egg.

Howdy, Folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post

I've never made it from scratch but I wonder if Gruyere or Asiago cheese would not be as gritty?
    Sounds like we're entering into Mornay Country (an Italian dish - with Swiss cheese? The horror, the horror)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornay_sauce

As to the grittiness - never had a problem. Bain-marie - double boiler - to the rescue. Perfect sauces, every time.

Peace and Love,

Donald Shimoda

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    Many people don't like nutmeg for some reason. DD doesn't like nutmeg at all.

My mom taught me to add a pinch of nutmeg and a half teaspoon of marjoram to mashed potatoes.
    Nutmeg? Really? What does that add to the mashed potatoes exactly? How does it taste? Love nutmeg btw. Don't want no minty "marjoram" in my taters though.
    "You don't change the way people think by changing what they say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. BLOOD! FLAMES! HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!"
    ~~ Alastair J. R. Young

"Bring me tools and beer!!!" ~~ Homer Simpson

"If a dream is all that I got, then I wish you in a fairy tale where you are still in love with me." ~~ Cold

"All weather is now manufactured. Period."
    ~~Scott Stevens

I had wanted to make an Alfredo sauce from scratch for a couple years now. I finally picked up some heavy whipping creme and shredded Parmesan cheese. I already had everything else. I found a recipe that looked good and followed it to the letter. It took about 10 minutes of prep and 15 minutes to make. Flavor was terrific, but I learned that the shredded Parmesan doesn’t melt well, so use the grated type (though not the ready-grated stuff in the plastic shaker containers.) Anyway, it’s quite good though the cheese is gritty. Next time I’ll know better.

ETA: Also, the recipe called for 2c parm. That made it WAY too salty. 1 1/2c is better I’m thinking.

Sounds yum! Not a big shrimp fan anymore, but what kind of pasta did you use?
    "You don't change the way people think by changing what they say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. BLOOD! FLAMES! HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!"
    ~~ Alastair J. R. Young

"If a dream is all that I got, then I wish you in a fairy tale where you are still in love with me." ~~ Cold

~~Scott Stevens

All I had was angel hair. But it's not the pasta, it's the sauce that matters.

All I had was angel hair. But it's not the pasta, it's the sauce that matters.
    Oh contraire Mon fraire. The pasta dictates the amount of sauce you receive per bite. Angel hair is nice. Personal favs are linguini and regular spaghetti noodles.

That being said. Love Alfredo. Will happily half and half my pasta up with red and white sauce.
    ~~ Alastair J. R. Young

~~Scott Stevens

Look, the type of pasta I can consume is determined by the gastric bypass operation I had in 2002. Please don't presume.

Thanks.

Look, the type of pasta I can consume is determined by the gastric bypass operation I had in 2002. Please don't presume.

Thanks.
    Fair enough Mon fraire.
    ~~ Alastair J. R. Young

~~Scott Stevens

You havent lived till youve tasted a good xpensive shredded or shaved parmeson cheese in smallish (about a tblspn worth) piles on a lightly greased cookie sheet at about 425 degrees for a few minutes until the top is a bit browned. food of the gods! great sorta thing thats good but not filling unless you pork out on the things.
    Thus let me live, unseen, unknown; thus unlamented let me die; steal from the world, and not a stone tell where I lie.

The best place to be in the event of a nuclear explosion is anywhere you can say: "what the hell was that!?!"
    ><>
    Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Men are NOT interested in what God has to say - but what they would rather believe themselves (shamelessly stolen from INVAR).
    <><
    "...no one can jump into the arms of God.
    Oh, no. You have to fall."

Tis too soon for you to be offering grating advice woman!
    ...hope your finger's better, btw : D
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    I myself am entirely made of flaws, stiched together with good intentions.
    MOON™~> all in the ignorant opinion of an uneducated slip of a woman who keeps forgetting to mind her manners, know her place and bow down to her betters

Quote Originally Posted by Walrus Whisperer View Post
    You havent lived till youve tasted a good xpensive shredded or shaved parmeson cheese in smallish (about a tblspn worth) piles on a lightly greased cookie sheet at about 425 degrees for a few minutes until the top is a bit browned. food of the gods! great sorta thing thats good but not filling unless you pork out on the things.
    Yes! I can easily overdose on those dang things. Very tasty!
    "Walk toward the fire. Don't worry about what they call you." - Andrew Breitbart

Questions:

Compared to the bottled stuff, was it much better or a lot better?

Cost to produce a pint? Estimate is fine.

Thanks!

A pint? Probably about $2. That’s a WAG though.