Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Prep Genrl Weekly Prep Thread: August 3 ~ 9, 2019
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weekly Prep Thread: August 3 ~ 9, 2019

Good Morning, All! It's clear and cool this morning, sky just turning pink in the east as the sun is coming up. Temp is in the low 60's but it is supposed to get up to the mid 80's today, so some of my work will be done inside. I do have the first load of laundry is in the washer (and weren't those steps down basement just really fun!); and I'm on my second cup of coffee.

I'm hoping to do a little outside work today - waiting on Hubby to get up and around so that he can get the buggy out for me. I'm just thinking about some minimal weeding and maybe transferring some more soil from one of the compost beds into the old, holey water tank I'm going to plant a few things in - a couple of rows of yellow beets and a sweet potato or two for the leaves (did you know you can eat them like spinach?) I also want to clean the weeds out of a flower bed, but I think my buddy the blacksnake (he eats rodents = a pal 'o mine!) might have that flower bed staked out as his spot so I'll need to be careful not to render him homeless.

The only other plans on my list are to maybe work in the upstairs pantry a bit so that I can write out a needs list, and declutter the laundry room. The knee surgery is making it a little difficult to get up and down, so I'm going to have to settle for some sitting type jobs - do have some stuffed animals of the grandsons' to repair, so I should be able to get that take care of - if I don't fall alseep for a few hours again! Guess I'd better also take time to check out the weekly store ads, check for bargains on canned items and/or stuff I can freeze or can.

Well, the coffee cup is empty and it sounds like the washer has finished it's spin cycle; guess I'd better go take care of both of those items...

Take care, All; wishing you a safe and happy week ahead...

Some shopping this weekend. Hit two Publix stores. Am learning to look for the little "clearance" signs. It doesn't always mean a sale, but sometimes it does. I picked up some canned pineapple at half price, some canned fruit cocktail at half price, and some small bottles of olive oil for about $1 each. Also got a 5 lb bag of rice, some bogo cake and brownie mixes, and some bogo Campbells soup.

Hit Walmart, Dollar Tree and Dollar General--got 15lb flour, socks & underwear (for the grandkids), underwear for me, tons of pkgs of colored pencils (seriously, 10 pkgs), 6 more boxes of crayons and a number of coloring books/activity books. This weekend was no tax weekend for clothing and school supplies in Florida.

Laundry is done and I ordered another duvet cover off the web as we don't use quilts or blankets on our bed and one of our covers is really getting old. Time for a replacement. I'm trying to do things like that--make sure those little holes are filled and the stuff we use on a daily basis is in good condition.

I am back from vacation. I spent the week, (10 days actually), doing things that needed to be done.

1) Restocked the pantry with items that I only get once a year or so.

2) Calculated the amount of food we have versus consumption. We have 182 days of food after stocking.

3) Went pawn shopping and found some junk silver at 13 times face value. Everything else was 16+ times face value. I was happy so I bought a bit. All of it was in dimes I did notice that the larger the coin, the more times face value it had. The topper was those 100% silver "coins" they are always pushing. It was going for $25 per ounce.

4) I finally go the whole yard mowed. It took the two of us all day, but it is mowed. Then we had 3 straight days of rain and guess what, it is now ready to mow again.

5) Worked on the planters. I am in the process of building another 4 planters. We laid the foundation for 3 more and built the block up for one of them. Each of them is 16 ft sq to 25 ft sq and will serve a specific purpose. In the case of the one that is built up, it is to hold the "new" tabasco pepper trees. Each of them will eventually get framed with PVC and chicken wire so we can protect them from the deer,

6) We canned all day Saturday and finished with 5 pints of peppers, ( for salsa later ), 4 pints of chicken for us, and 14 pints of chicken with organ meat for the cats. The last part is an experiment to see if they will eat the chicken after canning. If we are successful, we can feed our four cats with food that we can and reduce our dependence upon the cat food cans from the store. We have found it actually to be cheaper to can our own as it will cost between $0.50 - $1.00 for each 4 ounce of cat food from the store. The main differences seem to be the amount of crap versus real meat in each can. The more meat, the happier the cats seem to be and the higher the cost. Thus the experiment. We figure if we can get meat for under $3.00 per pound, we are either breaking even or getting ahead.

More to do.....

1) I have included a few pictures of the new construction. One the one built up, you can see how we fill the cells. One with rubble and the other with concrete and pvc rebar. This keeps them stable. I still have to pour a topper for the planter. Once that is done, I will run the water to it, put about 12 inches of rubble for drainage, built a pvc frame and then add the dirt. I expect I will be done with this one by the end of the year. The other two by spring.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images

Good job, 20Gauge!

We've decided to take down all of our raised beds next spring, and only have a small tilled area for a garden plot. They are taking up too much room in our backyard, and we can no longer work a larger garden. A few tomato, pepper, and squash plants will be about it.
    Sherree

20gauge... I'm laughing so hard at "we'll see if the cats will eat the canned chicken" comment...

I know there are picky cats out there, but if ours are any example, your biggest problem will be to get the food into their dishes without losing part of a hand! We feed canned chicken (necks and backs, as well as whole old laying hens, plus organ meats) generally as a treat or if we have cats who need something "extra"... Orphan kittens, convalescent, etc. The second i take the can opener off the wall where we kerp it in the barn- even if it's been weeks since we've last fed the canned stuff- I'll have a dozen cats climbing me like I'm a tree. They LOVE the stuff!

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    20gauge... I'm laughing so hard at "we'll see if the cats will eat the canned chicken" comment...

I know there are picky cats out there, but if ours are any example, your biggest problem will be to get the food into their dishes without losing part of a hand! We feed canned chicken (necks and backs, as well as whole old laying hens, plus organ meats) generally as a treat or if we have cats who need something "extra"... Orphan kittens, convalescent, etc. The second i take the can opener off the wall where we kerp it in the barn- even if it's been weeks since we've last fed the canned stuff- I'll have a dozen cats climbing me like I'm a tree. They LOVE the stuff!

Summerthyme
    Glad to hear that. We tried it with fish and it worked great.

This is my first attempt at chicken. We did add organ meat for them to get it a bit more balanced. I hate dealing with organ meat. Heck I even made fresh broth to add to the cans to eliminate the air bubbles.

I want to give the cans a few more days to rest and then I will try them. No reason for the delay, but that's me.

If this works, we will save a chunk of cash each month. We can get chicken for $0.75 per pound up to chicken on sale. Since a good can of chicken from the store is over a dollar and only 4 ounces at best, we will save even with the jar investment. I am aware cat food can cost less, but it is full of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    Good job, 20Gauge!

We've decided to take down all of our raised beds next spring, and only have a small tilled area for a garden plot. They are taking up too much room in our backyard, and we can no longer work a larger garden. A few tomato, pepper, and squash plants will be about it.
    The ones we are putting in have a set purpose. Like the two in the way back, the square one and the one nearest to the house will be for peppers. We have found the hardest part of doing the peppers this way is our time required to harvest the peppers. We currently are over 2200 this year and expect to reach 3,000 with just the two planters. Also since the peppers are perrennial we can keep them with minimal effort.

The other two planters will be different. We are looking to have strawberries in the planter on the left. The middle planter, (see dirt pile), will be lettuce and spinach, etc. Not sure how that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    The ones we are putting in have a set purpose. Like the two in the way back, the square one and the one nearest to the house will be for peppers. We have found the hardest part of doing the peppers this way is our time required to harvest the peppers. We currently are over 2200 this year and expect to reach 3,000 with just the two planters. Also since the peppers are perrennial we can keep them with minimal effort.

The other two planters will be different. We are looking to have strawberries in the planter on the left. The middle planter, (see dirt pile), will be lettuce and spinach, etc. Not sure how that will work.
    Sounds like a good plan. We grew tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, green beans, southern peas, potatoes, lettuce, and mustard greens in all of ours. It just has become too much for us to deal with, plus all the canning that came with it all. We had bushels and bushels gathered from them each year, except for the peppers. We never had much success with them.
    Sherree

DH has built 2 raised beds, 3x12, and planning in two more. Only problem right now is our sweet dog likes to bury things in it and take a nap in one. Haven't decided yet what to plant in them, our tomatoes grow well in the ground.

A few weeks ago DH bough 2-275 water tanks in cages. We catch rain water and both are filled. Yesterday he bought three more, one more for garden water, one for me for potable water (he's in the process of painting it a very dark green to prevent alge. The third he cut the top out of to use a a swimming tank, he's going to build a deck around it with steps, he gets so hot working in the Louisiana heat he wants to be able to take a dip or two during the day to cook off.

On another forum someone mentioned stocking up on pasta. Pasta along with rice is something we don't eat very often, actually DH won't it rice at all. I have plenty of pasta stored. I was looking around at pasta and found some I might eat a little more often, one kind is alphabet pasta, and a few more mini pastas, I've ordered some from Walmart online. I've used Walmart online a few times lately and find it very convenient, free one or two day shipping over $35.

Judy

Orzo pasta is a quite reaosonable alternative to rice... cooks quickly and has a nice texture... lots of surface for butter or sauce!

Summerthyme

Orzo pasta is a quite reaosonable alternative to rice... cooks quickly and has a nice texture... lots of surface for butter or sauce!

Summerthyme
    That's one of the ones I ordered, looking forward to it, butter yum yum.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    DH has built 2 raised beds, 3x12, and planning in two more. Only problem right now is our sweet dog likes to bury things in it and take a nap in one. Haven't decided yet what to plant in them, our tomatoes grow well in the ground.

A few weeks ago DH bough 2-275 water tanks in cages. We catch rain water and both are filled. Yesterday he bought three more, one more for garden water, one for me for potable water (he's in the process of painting it a very dark green to prevent alge. The third he cut the top out of to use a a swimming tank, he's going to build a deck around it with steps, he gets so hot working in the Louisiana heat he wants to be able to take a dip or two during the day to cook off.

On another forum someone mentioned stocking up on pasta. Pasta along with rice is something we don't eat very often, actually DH won't it rice at all. I have plenty of pasta stored. I was looking around at pasta and found some I might eat a little more often, one kind is alphabet pasta, and a few more mini pastas, I've ordered some from Walmart online. I've used Walmart online a few times lately and find it very convenient, free one or two day shipping over $35.

Judy
    What we did to solve the problem with our critters getting into our beds was to cut 2x4 welded wire fencing to size, and lay them over the top of the beds. We left a space between the garden soil and the fencing. Kept them that way, until the veggies began to grow through the wire. By that time our dog wasn't interested anymore.

We also have 2 - 55gal rain barrels and one 600 gal water tank (rain fed) that we can use for potable water. With all the rain we get here, they are always full to overflowing. I still buy bottled water, too, plus additional water storage jugs of different sizes, and a Berkey system set up for water filtration.

I can't help you with the rice and pasta issues. We eat a lot of both, so my pantry is always filled with each.
    Sherree

The wife doesn't like rice either, but she can eat the brown. So we are switching to that.

The wife doesn't like rice either, but she can eat the brown. So we are switching to that.
    Just remember, brown rice goes rancid quickly. It either needs to be ftozen, or carefully packed with pkenty of O2 absorbers in heavy mylar...

Summerthyme

Just remember, brown rice goes rancid quickly. It either needs to be ftozen, or carefully packed with pkenty of O2 absorbers in heavy mylar...

Summerthyme
    Yep, we freeze the excess. In fact, we keep two totes of emergency food ready to go. One in the freezer and one in the pantry. If we have to leave, we just grab them and go. We then have 14 days of food without having to gather anything up.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    What we did to solve the problem with our critters getting into our beds was to cut 2x4 welded wire fencing to size, and lay them over the top of the beds. We left a space between the garden soil and the fencing. Kept them that way, until the veggies began to grow through the wire. By that time our dog wasn't interested anymore.

We also have 2 - 55gal rain barrels and one 600 gal water tank (rain fed) that we can use for potable water. With all the rain we get here, they are always full to overflowing. I still buy bottled water, too, plus additional water storage jugs of different sizes, and a Berkey system set up for water filtration.

I can't help you with the rice and pasta issues. We eat a lot of both, so my pantry is always filled with each.
    That's a great idea for the raised beds, I'll tell DH about it.

As for drinking water I buy 24 pks (can't lift anything larger) and try to keep the supply to no less than 6. I also have a Berkey, but I don't like the taste of the water from it, but its there if needed.

Judy

Last week I put enough apricots in the freezer for 8 cobblers and about 85 fried pies. The next day I put up enough peaches for about 9 pies or cobblers and probably enough for 25 fried pies. The next day my daughter gave me enough grapes to make 5 batches of grape jelly which I did the next day. I also had enough peaches off of our trees to make 8 small pies. I am thinking about getting a box of pears next week. I have already put up 12 gallons of cut up okra and given 10 gallons away at church and it is blooming like crazy. I dried 3 trays of tomato slices then pulverized them into powder. It is hitting 100 around here and tomatoes have slowed way up. No corn to be had anywhere around here so I planted 7 rows July 1 and is already starting to make ears. I have canned 34 jars of green beans and put about 20 meals worth of black-eyed peas in freezer. Our beef is around 1350# so will be going to butcher to hang for a month then cut up. Squash, cucumbers and some of cantaloupes are about done. Hope I can get some more veggies done soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in OK View Post
    Last week I put enough apricots in the freezer for 8 cobblers and about 85 fried pies. The next day I put up enough peaches for about 9 pies or cobblers and probably enough for 25 fried pies. The next day my daughter gave me enough grapes to make 5 batches of grape jelly which I did the next day. I also had enough peaches off of our trees to make 8 small pies. I am thinking about getting a box of pears next week. I have already put up 12 gallons of cut up okra and given 10 gallons away at church and it is blooming like crazy. I dried 3 trays of tomato slices then pulverized them into powder. It is hitting 100 around here and tomatoes have slowed way up. No corn to be had anywhere around here so I planted 7 rows July 1 and is already starting to make ears. I have canned 34 jars of green beans and put about 20 meals worth of black-eyed peas in freezer. Our beef is around 1350# so will be going to butcher to hang for a month then cut up. Squash, cucumbers and some of cantaloupes are about done. Hope I can get some more veggies done soon.
    Gosh, Nancy! I was tired just reading what all you've got done! Good for you!

And, oh, those peach fried pies are the best!!! I also make apple fried pies. They don't last long at my house, LOL.
    Sherree

I was tired! I like apple fried pies too. Actually anything sweet lol. The peaches and apricots come from Palisade, CO. They are packed on the truck in the orchard and too the customer in about 48 hrs. There was not a blemish on any of them.

I am thinking about making another split in my bee hives. That will give me 4 hives. I will really have to baby the splits through winter. But I have lots of brood in one box and it is much cheaper than buying a nuk in the spring. Also, having them here ready to hit the ground running when the spring nectar starts is a huge advantage. It will use up my spare hive parts if I make one more. That means I will need more before swarm season. Decisions, decisions.

The hay will be ready again to cut soon. We sold all we had last year without any problems. It is better quality this year. We were able to spray in the spring and fertilize it. We had it tested so we would have that to show buyers.

The local Walmart has Orrington Farms broth base on sale. It’s usually $3.00, and I found it for $2.25 each. There were only 3 chicken and 2 beef on the shelf, so I bought them all. I have never seen them that cheap before. There were other brands of bullion cubes on clearance beside the broth base.
    I could make it cheaper!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I am thinking about making another split in my bee hives. That will give me 4 hives. I will really have to baby the splits through winter. But I have lots of brood in one box and it is much cheaper than buying a nuk in the spring. Also, having them here ready to hit the ground running when the spring nectar starts is a huge advantage. It will use up my spare hive parts if I make one more. That means I will need more before swarm season. Decisions, decisions.

The hay will be ready again to cut soon. We sold all we had last year without any problems. It is better quality this year. We were able to spray in the spring and fertilize it. We had it tested so we would have that to show buyers.

around here they are buying the hay coming off the balers - good $$$$ too
    Illini Warrior

When I went to the pharmacy at WM to pick up my colonoscopy prep (blech!) the pharmacist mentioned there had been an outbreak of Hepatitis A in a town about 30 miles away so they were encouraging people to get the immunization. My insurance covers it, so I went ahead and got the first shot. Second one comes in six months.

At Publix today I bought 12 cans of Chef Boy-R-Dee pasta. With the sale price and coupons I paid 64 cents a can. I am restocking fresh as I have about 10 cases of older cans (though they are still edible).

I am back from vacation. I spent the week, (10 days actually), doing things that needed to be done.

1) Restocked the pantry with items that I only get once a year or so.

2) Calculated the amount of food we have versus consumption. We have 182 days of food after stocking.

3) Went pawn shopping and found some junk silver at 13 times face value. Everything else was 16+ times face value. I was happy so I bought a bit. All of it was in dimes I did notice that the larger the coin, the more times face value it had. The topper was those 100% silver "coins" they are always pushing. It was going for $25 per ounce.

4) I finally go the whole yard mowed. It took the two of us all day, but it is mowed. Then we had 3 straight days of rain and guess what, it is now ready to mow again.

5) Worked on the planters. I am in the process of building another 4 planters. We laid the foundation for 3 more and built the block up for one of them. Each of them is 16 ft sq to 25 ft sq and will serve a specific purpose. In the case of the one that is built up, it is to hold the "new" tabasco pepper trees. Each of them will eventually get framed with PVC and chicken wire so we can protect them from the deer,

6) We canned all day Saturday and finished with 5 pints of peppers, ( for salsa later ), 4 pints of chicken for us, and 14 pints of chicken with organ meat for the cats. The last part is an experiment to see if they will eat the chicken after canning. If we are successful, we can feed our four cats with food that we can and reduce our dependence upon the cat food cans from the store. We have found it actually to be cheaper to can our own as it will cost between $0.50 - $1.00 for each 4 ounce of cat food from the store. The main differences seem to be the amount of crap versus real meat in each can. The more meat, the happier the cats seem to be and the higher the cost. Thus the experiment. We figure if we can get meat for under $3.00 per pound, we are either breaking even or getting ahead.

More to do.....

1) I have included a few pictures of the new construction. One the one built up, you can see how we fill the cells. One with rubble and the other with concrete and pvc rebar. This keeps them stable. I still have to pour a topper for the planter. Once that is done, I will run the water to it, put about 12 inches of rubble for drainage, built a pvc frame and then add the dirt. I expect I will be done with this one by the end of the year. The other two by spring.

Enjoy!
    Do you add Taurine to your home canned cat food? Lack of that or knowing where to get or how much to add is the only thing keeping Miss Kitty on store bought. I can everything else. Cats get Taurine from fresh kills in the wild. Without it, they sicken and die. Or so I read. Somebody please clarify for me, as this is the first cat I've ever taken care of.
    Don't be dismayed by goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. --Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker22 View Post
    Do you add Taurine to your home canned cat food? Lack of that or knowing where to get or how much to add is the only thing keeping Miss Kitty on store bought. I can everything else. Cats get Taurine from fresh kills in the wild. Without it, they sicken and die. Or so I read. Somebody please clarify for me, as this is the first cat I've ever taken care of.
    We still feed our kitties store food. We did add organ meat to the chicken to make the food.

The idea is to reduce, but not eliminate store bought.

We figured our costs to be about 38 cents per can of homemade. It will reduce the need for store bought. So that helps.

Our cats are working cats. So they spend their time outside, coming in only for bad weather or affection, meaning treats.

This week alone they ate 2 birds. In general we have an extinction level event going on at our 5 acres.

The result of the chicken only vs the chicken with organ meat. They want it with organ meat. It was a big hit. That is good as I made 2 months of it. This will reduce our store bought by about 25% . Saving us about $30 per month. That savings will be rolled into better food for all.

Those of you who store popcorn, and shop at Smith's/Kroger, might wish to keep an eye open for clearance popcorn on the shelves (or wherever your store puts the clearance items). Apparently our store (serves mostly lower income clientele) decided to clear out all bulk popcorn except for plastic canisters of Orrville Redenbacher's. No one- or two-pound plastic bags of any brand of popcorn. Microwave popcorn is the only other option. I have no idea whether the decision was a local one or more wide-scale. We bought all the clearanced stuff, about 30 lbs of it.
    Last edited by school marm; 08-08-2019 at 11:24 AM. Reason: I wasn't done yet!

I had all kinds of plans for this week, but evidently they werent' what He had in mind. I've been sick for the last 3 days - missed a day of work and a work meeting. I honestly think I just wasnt' supposed to be there. Right now, I"m barely keeping up on house cleaning and laundry.

I decided to pull out the big tote holding all of the spices and actually take an inventory to see what I had. Won't need to buy Italian seasoning again for years! Or black pepper, as I bought a lot of that for barter purposes, especially pepper mills with whole peppercorns. I did find a couple of glaring holes that need to be filled--low on garlic powder and absolutely NO cumin! Few other little quirks like that, but now I know exactly what I have and what I need to get instead of just mindlessly picking up a bottle or two and tossing into the grocery cart.

Next will be an experiment to see if my older rice and noodle mixes are still any good, or if it is time to replace them as well. Same with cornbread pouches and instant mashed potato mixes. I have a lot of these stocked up and we don't regularly use them anymore (low carb now) but they are great for prepping and some of these are on sale this week.

Quote Originally Posted by prudentwatcher View Post
    I decided to pull out the big tote holding all of the spices and actually take an inventory to see what I had. Won't need to buy Italian seasoning again for years! Or black pepper, as I bought a lot of that for barter purposes, especially pepper mills with whole peppercorns. I did find a couple of glaring holes that need to be filled--low on garlic powder and absolutely NO cumin! Few other little quirks like that, but now I know exactly what I have and what I need to get instead of just mindlessly picking up a bottle or two and tossing into the grocery cart.

Next will be an experiment to see if my older rice and noodle mixes are still any good, or if it is time to replace them as well. Same with cornbread pouches and instant mashed potato mixes. I have a lot of these stocked up and we don't regularly use them anymore (low carb now) but they are great for prepping and some of these are on sale this week.
    We did the spices a few weeks ago when the pantry was re-organized. I think we have a 3 life-span supply of pepper. Not sure what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by school marm View Post
    Those of you who store popcorn, and shop at Smith's/Kroger, might wish to keep an eye open for clearance popcorn on the shelves (or wherever your store puts the clearance items). Apparently our store (serves mostly lower income clientele) decided to clear out all bulk popcorn except for plastic canisters of Orrville Redenbacher's. No one- or two-pound plastic bags of any brand of popcorn. Microwave popcorn is the only other option. I have no idea whether the decision was a local one or more wide-scale. We bought all the clearanced stuff, about 30 lbs of it.
    Thanks for this info! We shop at Kroger about every other week or so, and we'll definitely check out the popcorn aisle/clearance section. Kind of odd that they're doing that, but hey, it sure helps bulk up the storage!

We did the spices a few weeks ago when the pantry was re-organized. I think we have a 3 life-span supply of pepper. Not sure what I was thinking.
    I've read that whole peppercorns were essentially equal to gold in price in certain periods of time... an ounce of pepper traded for an ounce of gold!

I stocked up on whole black peppercorns several years ago, and they're vacuum sealed in glass jars in the basement. So far, there doesn't seem to be any loss of potency or flavor, even in stuff thats 12 years old. However, the price has tripled...

Summerthyme

In an effort to organize my preps, in some instances I'm going with the 52 can idea for things we eat regularly. DH loves chili and beef stew in the winter. Dollar tree and some in Dollar general has a brand that's 1.00 a can, I don't have 52 of each yet, but I will before winter. I love beans and canned beans are a quick fix for me, most of the time I add a can of either spinach, mustard or collards to the pan. I also might add some kind of meat to it and its enough for the day. Right now my favorite is green lima beans, and I can get them at savealot for 89 cents a can, I've got a good supply going.

I find quinoa (for me, not DH) a good substitue for rice. He just will not eat it. I'm stocking up on a variety of pasta, lately the mini pastas, can be added to so many things.

I buy organic popcorn from amazon, usually 6 one pound bags at a time, it keeps for a long time.

I read on another forum that a good meal from preps is stove top stuffing (which I prefer over any homemade stuff, it looks nasty to me) and canned chicken. Quick and easy and I'm going to try it today. I found a decent price on chicken stove top stuffing (different brand) for a better price than the brand name at savealot.

DH said this morning that we have more sugar than we will ever use. Walmart had a good price yesterday I ended up buying 36#. How much sugar do you store, we don't use sugar every day since DH stopped drinking coffee, but even then that would not be much. I was going to store it in mylar bags, but upon sugestions I've been using 1-gallon ziplocks, I have at least 2 five gallon buckets full. I'm not storing anything for barter because I think that opens you up for "stick'em up". A few people know I have beans, but they don't know I have enything else.

Judy

Judy, my husband says the same thing about too much sugar stored. I still have one five gallon bucket from 1997! I just tuck it behind the buckets of beans and I break it up with a meat cleaver to use it. I have been cleaning up the pantry and roasting items. I am working in a real inventory list. Found my stash of pre y2k canning lids and noticed a distinct difference in the sealing compound from the lids purchased this year. I plan to boil the older lids anf follow the new guidelines fir just warming the new lids in a shallow dish, where you pour boiling water over them and keep them warm not hot before you place them on the jar. Harvesting the last of the blueberries, finding gigantic zucchini and the tomatoes and basil are being harvested now.

Judy, I keep my popcorn in the freezer. Nobody but me eats it and five pounds usually lasts me a year or so. It gets rancid if I try and keep it at room temperature.
    I can't do without sugar for my iced tea, I wish I had a couple hundred pounds. Slowly stocking up. I just leave mine in the bags and have them stacked in a food safe metal drum, that the lid is so tight I have to swing on it to get it loose.
    I got the infernal property taxes paid and the contaminated cat food hauled to the dump and that was the extent of my week.

As far as sugar...

Even if you don't bake or make "treats" often now, think about what you buy, even if infrequently... for mental health, you'll want to be able to provide homemade versions or substitutes, and that will use more sugar than you might think. Of course, like anything else, much depends on the makeup of your family or group you are expecting if TSHTF. But i have the ingredients, recipes, tools and experience to be able to make doughnuts, cookies and cakes, and various homemade candies, even though we (it's just hubby and I for everyday eating) don't eat much of that stuff except around holidays.

But with 4 grandchildren (who, thankfully, prefer fresh fruit to most of the extremely sweet candies they sell these days), along with men who will be eating like farmers again, I don't find even several hundred pounds of dugar in storage to be excessive. Remember it's necessary for making jams and jellies, too... even though I use the Pomona pectin, and you can make jam for cupboard storage with little or no sugar, it doesn't store well... for storage beyond a few months at most, you need *at least* a 2:1 fruit sugar ratio.

One last thing... moonshine requires large amounts of sugar. You may not be a drinker, but alcohol is extremely valuable... pain reliever and antiseptic properties, as well as the base for herbal tinctures. Being able to distill high proof alcohol could be a very important skill. And even winemaking uses a LOT of sugar...

Summerthyme

Just because DH complained (mostly probably because its somewhat in the middle of the kitchen floor) doesn't mean I'll quit stocking, just need to get it all packed away. I don't make jams or jellies though, we don't eat them, as we are not bread eaters.

So I tried the stove top stuffing and canned chicken (with butter not oil) and I like it. Not really a bread eater and neither is DH, he might eat it if he was really hungry.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    In an effort to organize my preps, in some instances I'm going with the 52 can idea for things we eat regularly. DH loves chili and beef stew in the winter. Dollar tree and some in Dollar general has a brand that's 1.00 a can, I don't have 52 of each yet, but I will before winter. I love beans and canned beans are a quick fix for me, most of the time I add a can of either spinach, mustard or collards to the pan. I also might add some kind of meat to it and its enough for the day. Right now my favorite is green lima beans, and I can get them at savealot for 89 cents a can, I've got a good supply going.

I find quinoa (for me, not DH) a good substitue for rice. He just will not eat it. I'm stocking up on a variety of pasta, lately the mini pastas, can be added to so many things.

I buy organic popcorn from amazon, usually 6 one pound bags at a time, it keeps for a long time.

I read on another forum that a good meal from preps is stove top stuffing (which I prefer over any homemade stuff, it looks nasty to me) and canned chicken. Quick and easy and I'm going to try it today. I found a decent price on chicken stove top stuffing (different brand) for a better price than the brand name at savealot.

DH said this morning that we have more sugar than we will ever use. Walmart had a good price yesterday I ended up buying 36#. How much sugar do you store, we don't use sugar every day since DH stopped drinking coffee, but even then that would not be much. I was going to store it in mylar bags, but upon sugestions I've been using 1-gallon ziplocks, I have at least 2 five gallon buckets full. I'm not storing anything for barter because I think that opens you up for "stick'em up". A few people know I have beans, but they don't know I have enything else.

Judy

a full "sandwich bag" zip lock is approx 1lb - that's an excellent commodity package or just a handy size to utilize at one time >>>> and the 1lb packages fit nicely in a 5 gallon bucket for protective storage - if you want to use every tiny space you have - you can always sift something like grain/rice or salt/sugar into the little crevices around the packages ...
    Illini Warrior

You sound like me! I was telling DH just the other day that I have enough spices to last us a lifetime or two. LOL!
    Sherree

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    a full "sandwich bag" zip lock is approx 1lb - that's an excellent commodity package or just a handy size to utilize at one time >>>> and the 1lb packages fit nicely in a 5 gallon bucket for protective storage - if you want to use every tiny space you have - you can always sift something like grain/rice or salt/sugar into the little crevices around the packages ...
    Thanks for the size recommendation. I'll try it.

PS DH would not eat the chicken and stove top meal. He had grilled cheese.

Judy

Today was the day to experiment with the Lipton/Knorr sides and some old cornbread mix. The Lipton/Knorr sides were old, not sure how old and the ones I pulled didn't have a date on them that I could find. You could tell they were bad when you opened them because they smelled bad. So all the old ones of those I have will be getting tossed out since I know I bought most of them around the same time.

I pulled out an old Betty Crocker cornbread mix pouch that expired in 2010. I don't know if they even make these anymore. I added 1/2 tsp. baking powder as I had read that old baking mixes don't rise. The dry mix smelled fine and the muffins cooked up nice and pretty and tasted just like they did when the pouches were new. Those are staying in the container as I think I have about 20 or so pouches left.

The yellow rice and instant mashed potatoes are still left to test.