Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT FOXNEWS- Will you survive the coming blackout?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FOXNEWS- Will you survive the coming blackout?

Strange article on Foxnews

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/doug...oming-blackout

There are many never-ending debates between Republicans and Democrats. Impeach vs. don’t impeach; capital punishment vs. life in prison; wall vs. no wall; legalizing marijuana vs. not.

All of these issues are stunningly important, right up to the second where cataclysm falls and creates a nightmare scenario that so many fear.

That cataclysm is a complete loss of electricity and every mode of convenience and survival we take for granted.
    The largest red flag on this issue in years just waved in South America. Last weekend, tens of millions of people in Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay found themselves in a complete blackout. In one moment, they had electricity. The next moment, they had none, and they were catapulted back to the 1800s.

Only much worse.

People in the 1800s were not dependent upon electricity for their jobs, money, communication, Internet, transportation, education, security, medical services, prescriptions, water, and very lives.

The national power grid of the United States is truly a mess held together with, as the joke goes, by not much more than "baling wire and chewing gum."

The average age of large power transformers in the United States is 40 years. Seventy percent of all large power transformers are at least 25 years old. It's little wonder that, according to data from the Department of Energy, the United States suffers more blackouts than any other nation in the developed world.

The overall system is so weak, so taxed, and so vulnerable that in 2003, over 50 million people in the United States and Canada were hit with cascading blackouts simply because a tree branch fell on a power line in Ohio.

Because the infrastructure is so antiquated, weather triggers multiple blackouts per year in the U.S. Blackouts which collectively cost the nation upwards of $30 billion in spoiled inventory, lost wages, and repair of the grid.

Unfortunately, weather is becoming the least feared trigger of a blackout. In the age of terrorism and increasing cyber-threats, our power-grid getting taken down by a hack is no longer seen as a question of “If it will happen,” but rather, "When it will happen?"

The U.S. government is so rightfully fearful of this, that last November, it ordered DARPA (the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) to war-game a complete cyber take-down of the U.S. power grid.

An exercise they are now wisely running on a regular basis.

According to the Department of Homeland Security, just last year, hackers – strongly suspected to be Russian – gained access to a number of utility control rooms in the United States and got to the point where "they could have thrown switches."

The DHS report further stressed: "Russian government cyber actors targeted government entities and multiple U.S. critical infrastructure sectors, including the energy, nuclear, commercial facilities, water, aviation, and critical manufacturing sectors."

Aside from the Russians, the Chinese, North Koreans, other terrorist states, and even cyber-extortionists, are targeting our power grid on a daily basis.

That clock is ticking.

Unfortunately, much like any large terrorist attack, when an extended regional or national blackout hits, you and your family will be on your own. No one is going to ride to the rescue.

How will you survive?

In the blink of an eye, you will lose access to money, food, gasoline, communication, medicine, medical attention, heat, air conditioning, and security.

Gone.

Even though most don’t do it, residents of California and Florida are reminded every year to assemble their "two-week" survival kit. In California, it's because of earthquakes. In Florida, it's because of hurricanes.

Survival kits which include water, non-perishable food, medicine, first-aid kits, batteries, a radio, flashlights, candles, cash, a hand-crank charger, with smaller versions of all for your vehicle and office.

The federal and state governments should be issuing that same reminder to every citizen in the nation about the coming blackout. It truly is not a question of "if," but of "when."

A night on the town for a movie, dinner, a sporting event or a political debate is great fun until none of it matters and your survival is literally at stake.

Make a plan, because you will be on your own.

No.

No one will.

Because when it goes, it may not come back for a lifetime on a national scale.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

People are going to lose it, as in have tantrums and panic attacks...when they can't snapchat and check FB...then after the initial shock wears off, it will accelerate quickly into frustration and angst, with chaos abounding.
    https://safeg.net/home A Safe Alternative to Harmful 5G Wireless

Matthew 10:17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues; 18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. 19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.

Quote Originally Posted by TammyinWI View Post
    People are going to lose it, as in have tantrums and panic attacks...when they can't snapchat and check FB...then after the initial shock wears off, it will accelerate quickly into frustration and angst, with chaos abounding.
    My take as well.

Indeed chaos would be inevitable.

Odd article to headline on Fox.

Solar panels. 10KW-20KW battery capacity, for example the Tesla 10KW wall battery.
    Not connected to the grid. Manual transfer switch.
    It’s quiet and quiet will be very important.

Sooth
    EPHESIANS 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

to approximately quote a reasonably wise man:

"When people have nothing left to lose, they WILL go ahead and lose it."

{Gerald Celente}
    "EHR KUMT"

RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

And those without their mental health care (meds) will be a danger to themselves and others.
    “Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.”

Quote Originally Posted by NCGirl View Post
    In one moment, they had electricity. The next moment, they had none, and they were catapulted back to the 1800s. Only much worse.
    Umm, as far as I know 90% of Argentina had its power back by evening. Argentina, at least, didn't even go a full 24 hours without power and probably only about 12-14 hours considering it hit them just after 7:00 a.m. I imagine even spoiled Americans across the entire continental U.S. could probably survive 12 hours without electricity. A few years back Auckland, New Zealand went about six months without power and I don't recall the Kiwis descended into cannibalism and lost their entire civilization -- note that it wasn't the entire Auckland metro area, so residents could go to places nearby that still had electricity, but nonetheless it couldn't have been a stroll in the park either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooth View Post
    the Tesla 10KW wall battery.
    Sooth
    Except the Tesla battery requires an internet connection to work.
    I keep thinking about a solar system but it just makes zero economic sense. But there is always the generator.

Why does it require internet to work? Is there no other option?
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    It’s a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    I’m not afraid of dying...I just don’t want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

The Carrington Event in 1859; the Earth just missed another in 2012.

von Koehler
    Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn!

Christianity is the estranged descendent of a bizarre Jewish apocalyptic cult.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Tesla battery just being an example of capacity. Poor example perhaps.
    Point being, quiet solar powered battery backup, not connected to the
    grid that will power a few things at need.
    Had a 10KW natural gas powered Generac in California during some
    black outs there. In the quiet of the power outage night you could hear
    my generator for a block as well as all the other generators running.
    During a serious, long term power outage, I do not want to advertise
    that my location has power.

Sooth
    EPHESIANS 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    I keep thinking about a solar system but it just makes zero economic sense. But there is always the generator.
    Not many people have money to buy those batteries much less a solar panel setup. It is very expensive, I know people who are losing their homes because they used their home as collateral to get solar panels put in, now they can't pay for them. They can't even manage to pay their property taxes, fix their inground swimming pool, their house is falling down around them because they can't afford anything that's going to generate power for them. People here are asking "when is PG&E going to buy me a generator when they shut down my power? I can't afford a generator!" WTF! I suggest have a full tank of gas at all times and some in a gas can. Solar lights are cheap, charge during the day bring them in at night for lighting. Solar chargers for your tablets and phones. I dunno if the cell towers will go down. Yep, it will be total chaos, lock and load.

Zero sense? Bizarre logic.

We have been off the grid for 8 or 9 years. No grid tie at all. The power goes out often due to winter storms, but we usually are unaware of it until we hear all the neighbors start up their generators.

So we invested in the panels and (eta: deep cycle lead) batteries etc. like paying the power bill up front for the next 15 to 20 years. And the panels are good for much longer than that. To extend the system, instead of adding batteries, we add another chest freezer to store excess summer solar power. They are outside in sheds and don’t take much to run in the winter up north here. Running 5 right now. Invest in solar now. One less headache to have to deal with later.
    ” Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man”
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

Bring it on i'm ready, could care less.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sooth View Post
    Solar panels. 10KW-20KW battery capacity, for example the Tesla 10KW wall battery.
    Not connected to the grid. Manual transfer switch.
    It’s quiet and quiet will be very important.

Sooth
    Solar panels are very visible, and will be neutralized by those that do not have them.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

I may, or may not, have a very different definition of "Blackout".
    III

Keep ignoring my rights and I'll keep ignoring your laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ambereyes View Post
    And those without their mental health care (meds) will be a danger to themselves and others.
    That extends to FB and other messaging venues as well, along with cellular service in general.

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Get your FREE copy of the 3rd edition here:NNPG Download Site

Reddit AustereMedicine/

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
    Solar panels are very visible, and will be neutralized by those that do not have them.
    Many people take care to keep them Out of view...
    ” Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man”
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

Quote Originally Posted by jed turtle View Post
    Zero sense? Bizarre logic.
    Our electric bill is $50 per month. A solar system would be maybe $20,000. It would take 33 years to break even.

If you live in a really cold climate, and you don't have a way to heat your house, you will freeze to death. If someone else sees you have smoke coming from a chimney, they will want what you have.

Three weeks without food, three days without water......it will run out.
    True North Strong and Free

I can think of two families in our area that have a blackout scenario covered. They both have large solar systems and locations that get adequate light.
    We would do OK for a while, but eventually would run our of gasoline for the generator. We don't have a solar system. Our location is surrounded by huge trees, plus we're in a canyon.
    I really wouldn't enjoy a prolonged blackout.

I’ll be dead, because, air conditioning. Seriously. Can’t take the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurane View Post
    If you live in a really cold climate, and you don't have a way to heat your house, you will freeze to death. If someone else sees you have smoke coming from a chimney, they will want what you have.

Three hours without shelter, as I recall. If you get through the first night, there will be many, many fewer people to see the smoke from your chimney, I'd say.

Where do you get gas for the generator when the power is out in the area and stations aren't open?
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

Our electric bill is $50 per month. A solar system would be maybe $20,000. It would take 33 years to break even.
    Unless the power went out and didn't come back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurane View Post

A winter sleeping bag is a lifesaver. Get one rated for minus 20.
    $229 at Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...2.uts?slotId=7
    "As the rising of the sun is clear to all, so the glory of the Lord fills all his works."

Here is the quote I like

“according to data from the Department of Energy, the United States suffers more blackouts than any other nation in the developed world.”

This is a of course we are we also have more power lines than most any three countries combined. It will still take time as even when NYC had their last blackout people seemed for the most part well behaved. Of course there were those that were not.
    How people react will also depend on season and temp. I have lost power for 5 days when living in a neighborhood and everyone was fine ... granted it was during ice storm so too cold for anyone to be out up to no good lol.

layers of winter clothing, inside a sub- zero bag, inside a tent inside your home...you could survive quite well. even without wood heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Three hours without shelter, as I recall. If you get through the first night, there will be many, many fewer people to see the smoke from your chimney, I'd say.
    And if you live very rural, by the time they make it to your place (if ever), they will be in a weakened state, in an area they are not familiar with, staring at large growling dogs and the business ends of deer rifles.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

I about choked when I read your comment. Every house here has the panels on their roof. Solar farms are visible, rows and rows of them.

Where do you get gas for the generator when the power is out in the area and stations aren't open?
    With careful use we are covered for about a year.
    Unless the power went out and didn't come back on.
    Exactly how many times has that happened in all of history?
    Every person can only prep so much.
    If you have a year of stored food why don't you have two years or ten years supply?
    Why do you only store 10,000 rounds of ammo and not 100,000 rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    And if you live very rural, by the time they make it to your place (if ever), they will be in a weakened state, in an area they are not familiar with, staring at large growling dogs and the business ends of deer rifles.
    They probably wouldn't find you anyway. It's like a needle in a hay field.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing22 View Post
    How about a 500 gal gas storage tank. We have a generator for the whole house and a 500 gal storage tank. About 7 years ago during an ice storm we went 4 days without electric. I said.. NEVER AGAIN. Its not a perfect solution but will give me time to can all the food in my 4 freezers. I don't particularly worry about marauders. We live in the country and if all power is gone how are the city people going to get gas to get this far out. They won't walk that is for sure. Nothing you think you have is going to be enough if it all goes. Just have what you need to buy time to adjust and cover your a$$ as much as you can.
    "It is never the tigers that get you. It is always the gnats."

A few y ears ago we lost power for several days, I don't recall how many, but most of a week. We didn't have any trouble. Mild weather, good neighbors. We shared generators to keep our food from spoiling, and run the well pumps. You can stretch your gas supply by running the genny only intermittently.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Really? I submit people will become hunters that will not travel normal paths. There is no way a solar panel array can be successfully hidden. No fixed assets, homes gardens etc. will evade detection. Survival will depend on the ability to defend 24/7.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

I cant aford al that. I use candles and oil lamps. My keyboard wil not double type a leter. Sory, just started tonight. Geting a new one.

Most people won't have water for more than a week...... no well water if it is deep and electric......generator for a while, but gas pumps won't work without electric. Generators make noise even if you are in the boonies - sound travels a long way when there is no other sounds.
    True North Strong and Free

That is why you want to be where everyone else isn’t. Not going to be fun in the rural areas but it would be a free fire zone in suburbia and urban areas in three to four days or less. Yes there are challenges with living in the boondocks for normal everyday life but the payoff is when things fall apart. This present system is so fragile and the population feeling entitled as well as being dependent on the system is a recipe for disaster.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html