Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

TECH US Fast-Food Drive-Thrus Will Soon Use License Plate And Facial Recognition Technology
+ Reply to Thread

US Fast-Food Drive-Thrus Will Soon Use License Plate And Facial Recognition Technology

Oh great...soon the drive-thru will see you coming! How long until that data is used against you with health insurers?

Fair use cited so on and so forth.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...al-recognition

US Fast-Food Drive-Thrus Will Soon Use License Plate And Facial Recognition Technology

License plate recognition could be the new big thing at American drive-thrus, according to FT. Chains are now looking to deploy cameras that recognize license plates and help identify customers, personalizing digital menus and speeding up sales.

Starbucks began a pilot program in Korea last year with customers who voluntarily pre-registered their cars and now restaurants in the United States are looking to also give it a try. License plate recognition has existed since the 1970s but has mostly been associated with law-enforcement. Cameras attached to police cars or street fixtures read the license plates of passing vehicles and compare results to databases.

But as the cost of the software comes down, uses for LPR have grown. For retailers, LPR can help identify repeat customers, allowing businesses to link a customer's credit card and order history up to a vehicle.

Customers who are signed up to loyalty programs or apps can load their information in voluntarily and cameras in the drive-thru lanes can also take photos of car plates. Software will then determine whether or not it belongs to a recurring customer that the restaurant has information for.

Fried Chicken Is 'Magic' for Uber Eats, Says CEO
    LPR start up 5Thru said that several chains in the U.S. and Canada were trying out its technology. It is expected to sign its first major contract by the end of the year.

Chief executive Daniel McCann said:

"5Thru’s technology helped restaurants process around an extra 30 cars a day, by reducing order time. The artificial intelligence-driven system also improves upselling by recommending items based on a customer’s past orders, the weather and how busy a store’s kitchen is."

Tracking customers using cameras is just another way stores are seeking to become more efficient in the age of online shopping. Recall, we posted a couple months ago a story about how are malls were tracking people's locations using their smartphones in order to help bolster business.

In March, McDonald's bought a company called Dynamic Yield for $300 million that specialized in "decision logic" to help make food and upselling suggestions to drive-thru customers. Drivers are given options based on the time of day, the weather and their eating preference history. In 2017, KFC partnered with Baidu to develop facial recognition to predict someone’s order based on their age and their mood.

AT&T has reportedly received numerous requests from fast food chains looking to deploy these types of technologies via its 5G network. Michael Colaneri, vice-president of retail and restaurants at AT&T said: “We are at the advent of these capabilities, though nobody has quite pulled it all off.”

In addition to technical expertise, data driven personalization relies on information about customers. Many have criticized license plate recognition for being overly invasive and the United States has a litany of different rules, depending on the state, governing the technology.

Jason Spielfogel, director of product management at security company Identiv said:

"Although no drive-through chains in the US have yet rolled out LPR at scale, there are a lot of conversations going on.”

LPR can also take into account a vehicle's age, make and condition to help recommend orders. McDonald’s has said, post acquisition, that the company could use LPR in the future to personalize smart menus. Xerox filed a patent in 2012 for a drive-thru tool to help track repeat customers using "vehicle and facial information". The company hasn't advertised that product, but Xerox offers LPR services and passenger detection tools to police. The system uses cameras to identify a vehicle and how many people are in it, while claiming to redact facial images for privacy purposes.

"convenience" one of the many tools used ,to gain the acceptance for the death of privacy.
    Looking back, the lion was a bad idea. That's why Dr. Shockla is gonna hook us up with a monkey. I'm gonna teach it taekwondo.

Yeah, karate monkey, yeah, that's probably safer.

We rarely use a drive thru since the closet drive thru is 54 miles away....

There is a Sonic 37 miles away that we use occasionally use and park and order....

Texican....

Why? Will this guarantee the order is correct??

No, it will be used to spy on us more and more.
    [COLOR="red"]I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein
    [/COLOR]

Trying to remember the last time I went through a drive-thru. Probably mid-80's.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

This is about as useful as me installing this tech and tagging the dear to see how many times they cross my property.

Sociologists....
    Recently a friend told me I am delusional, I almost fell off my Unicorn!

Believe in privacy loss being funded by those who will make money or have power over you from your loss of privacy.

Not like my health care provider will be checking to see if I swing in a McDonalds for a chocolate shake now and then is it?

Also consider more cameras as more ways to track you and yours.

Oh wait, that is what I said about privacy lost.
    working on unplugging.

Another revenue stream