Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Seriously, I'm struggling to understand why this bothers me so much...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    I predict they will be the last to die - they have a lot to lose before they die. The skinny guy will go first since he doesn't have much fat on him to live on. Your body burns fat when there's no intake of food....muscle loss as well.
    Yeah, but they will be in cardiac and diabetic crisis with the anxiety.
    They will go fat, but they will go first. The skinny guy will adapt just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Dennis I was about 11 to 13 and I remember it only because my family was directly involved with a family in this situation.

This is also why I know what was in the commodities and while the idea of rations isn't totally unacceptable to me (to make sure people get fed rather than starve) I also know they really were not that healthy either.

Oh, Bardu I was perfectly aware the women would probably have no clue what to do with flour-salt-sugar-etc. but I was supporting the idea of cutting her off from the easy processed garbage at taxpayer expense and forcing her to learn (like I did) if she really wants to eat this stuff.

My Dad managed to be nearly 500 pounds mostly on peanut butter and another semi-"healthy" things so someone who is real food addicted is going to find something to eat (outside of a famine situation) but I agree that the taxpayer doesn't need to help (or provide "corporate welfare" for Big Food companies).
    Melodi, re your dad becoming obese > I would stick my neck out and say that the "semi-healthy things" were far from being healthy. You do know that bread, potatoes, and pasta all convert to sugar within your body, which converts to stored fat. You did know that sweets produce a dopamine response, the same as addictive drugs do but not as strong but none the less addictive.

Shame the govt and doctors used to promote a food pyramid that is the reverse of what it should be, oh, they still do. hmmph

My Dad managed to be nearly 500 pounds mostly on peanut butter and another semi-"healthy" things so someone who is real food addicted is going to find something to eat (outside of a famine situation) but I agree that the taxpayer doesn't need to help (or provide "corporate welfare" for Big Food companies).
    Melodi, your Dad did not get FAT on peanut butter. In a 2 tbs serving of peanut butter, there's only 4 grams of carbs. One slice of white bread has about 15 grams of carbs. Slap two of those together and the peanut butter, now you're up to 34 grams of carbs. What carbs you don't burn off, is converted to FAT. I know you're familiar with the KETO/Dr. Atkins diet and you know the science behind it. I bet your dad is/was insulin resistant. He simply took in more carbs than what he burned off. All this crap fat people are eating are high carb ladden, it's a proven fact.

Quote Originally Posted by glennb6 View Post
    Melodi, re your dad becoming obese > I would stick my neck out and say that the "semi-healthy things" were far from being healthy. You do know that bread, potatoes, and pasta all convert to sugar within your body, which converts to stored fat. You did know that sweets produce a dopamine response, the same as addictive drugs do but not as strong but none the less addictive.

Shame the govt and doctors used to promote a food pyramid that is the reverse of what it should be, oh, they still do. hmmph
    This was the 1960s and other people ate similar foods and similar diets and did not weigh 400 to 500 pounds (that was very rare back then) my Mom did her best to try and feed him "the right" things (meat, veg, limited carbs, etc) but he would just eat than and then go to the shop or elsewhere to get other stuff.

This was a very long time ago people used to blame my Mother for my Dad's food addiction they would say "what does she feed him?"

But that is a bit off-topic except that there have always been some very large people even during the Great Depression my Dad's nickname was "Tubby" it is just today for a variety of reasons there are lot more of them.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

How much does it cost you to worry about this unknown woman?

How much does it benefit you to worry about this unknown woman?

Is the benefit worth the cost TO YOU?

If not, forget her. The whole world is caught up in an economic Ponzi scheme and there is no sane end to it. Trying to impose some kind of sanity on an insane world will either drive you crazy or kill you. Is it worth all that just because of a few or a few thousand or a few billion digidollars with no more actual worth than the electronic energy necessary to put up this post?
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Yeah, but they will be in cardiac and diabetic crisis with the anxiety.
    They will go fat, but they will go first. The skinny guy will adapt just fine.

Who would die first of starvation – a fat or a thin person?

Your body can meet the majority of your calorie requirements from stored fat, but total starvation is fatal in 8-12 weeks, regardless of initial body weight.

By Luis Villazon

Asked by: Annie Martoni, by email

Within one or two days of your last meal, your body will have exhausted all the glycogen stored in the liver and muscles. Most of your energy requirements will be met by breaking down stored fat into ketones, but brain cells and red blood cells can’t metabolise ketones, so their glucose requirements must be met by breaking down muscle.

Even if you have lots of body fat left to burn, you can still starve to death if you don’t have enough muscle because vital muscles like the heart will have been weakened to the point where they stop working. For this reason, doctors normally consider 40 to 50 per cent weight loss as life-threatening, regardless of your initial body weight.

Total starvation is normally fatal in eight to 12 weeks. In less extreme cases, however, where you are still receiving some calories – particularly if these calories include a high proportion of protein – being fat will help you survive much longer, because your body will be able to meet the majority of your calorie requirements from stored fat.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-hum...a-thin-person/

This is going to sound harsh, but it doesn't strike me as sad at all. She is a parasite. I have compassion for obese people who are suffering due to having accepted the wrong dietary information, nevertheless, better information is out there, for free. People have to go find it, and apply it.

This woman is living off the labor of others, and not even trying (smoking as well). The sooner people like her are in their graves, the better. You always get more of what you subsidize.
    Our society needs a big re-set.
    She's in the category of being a tick on society. V

Lots of people make lots of bad choices that cost the rest of us plenty. The morbidly obese such as was described is just a more visual example. There's smokers, alcoholics, & druggies. There's people who choose not to acquire an education or skill that can fully support themselves or that won't move to where the jobs are. A lot of people expect society as a whole to support their bad choices.

Who would die first of starvation – a fat or a thin person?

Your body can meet the majority of your calorie requirements from stored fat, but total starvation is fatal in 8-12 weeks, regardless of initial body weight.

By Luis Villazon

Asked by: Annie Martoni, by email

Within one or two days of your last meal, your body will have exhausted all the glycogen stored in the liver and muscles. Most of your energy requirements will be met by breaking down stored fat into ketones, but brain cells and red blood cells can’t metabolise ketones, so their glucose requirements must be met by breaking down muscle.

Even if you have lots of body fat left to burn, you can still starve to death if you don’t have enough muscle because vital muscles like the heart will have been weakened to the point where they stop working. For this reason, doctors normally consider 40 to 50 per cent weight loss as life-threatening, regardless of your initial body weight.

Total starvation is normally fatal in eight to 12 weeks. In less extreme cases, however, where you are still receiving some calories – particularly if these calories include a high proportion of protein – being fat will help you survive much longer, because your body will be able to meet the majority of your calorie requirements from stored fat.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-hum...a-thin-person/
    All that is true, but it assumes that these people will just be sitting in their city apartment or suburban hone quietly starving once the food runs out.

And that is likely what the morbidly obese one will do... hell, most of them need a scooter/riding cart to "forage" in any store bigger than a 7-11 now!

But a thinner/fit person (given some basic knowlege) will have the option of foraging for wild plants, setting snares for small wildlife, fishing (maybe the one thing the fat person could also do, if they are capable of walking/gettibg to a close-by stream or pond) or gardening.

The obese will definitely have more stored "resources", but it's unlikely they'd be able to work themselves into some sort of condition to be capable of walking and working while fasting... even if they had the psychological makeup to try.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Yeah right. Everything is an addiction. No disrespect to you or your opinion but this kind of attitude has been CULTIVATED by powers that hate us.

Where's my help and support group for working 12 hours then working at home 6 or 8 more hours? The welfare dregs are asleep when I go to work and drinking beer when I drive by in the evening. At least they wave and nod a "thanks" when I drive by. /sarc

Betty-Rose, free-will to make bad choices is nothing new. Caring about that person or CARING about how the system isn't doing them or you any favors is a sign of wisdom. Don't dwell too much on it. Jesus said we'd always have the poor.

FTR, I'm thankful I've been given the ability to work and been blessed with all I could stand. Truly blessed. I do NOT look down on "poor" people. By some standards in the US, I'm poor too.
    America has the fattest and relatively richest poor people in the world's history.

There is a significant percentage of the population that has been specifically created through their own bad life choices and the corruption by the leftists teachings who expect to be taken care of all their lives. They honestly can't think outside of the idea that their victims and all of their problems are due to someone else's actions. Deep down in the core the believe that they "deserve" what they have never worked for.

Sure, there are a few people who are in the position they are because of a health or economic catastrophe that truly wasn't their fault and when I encounters these folks I'll do what I can to help. But the vast majority that I've seen are where they are by their own choices in life.

Sadly, the real leach class will die in a few days or weeks when it all finally crashes down on all our heads. But none of us have the unlimited resources to care for them when the SHTF.

I used to get upset by similar things as the OP ran across until I finally realized that as a single individual all I could influence were my own life choices. That no matter what I did, I could only directly influence my choices and actions.

Now when I see or encounter the leach class instead of getting upset, I say a prayer for them and go on about my business. Life is to short to get upset over these things I cannot change about others.

In the early 1970's dh was employed at a meat packing plant. When there was a layoff they had welfare people at the plant signing everyone up for unemployment, food stamps, commodities and whatever else was available. I took the food stamps to the store and bought items we did not produce on our acreage such as shortening, flour, sugar, oatmeal and as a treat a nice ham. At the checkout the clerk complimented me saying it was unusual for people using food stamps to buy "real" food. Since we had a toddler we also received commodities including canned milk which I used, but not for the toddler who was allergic to cows milk.

At the same time a neighbor who had a rental house asked me if I'd like some commodity canned milk because her renters had left behind cases of the stuff. I think I took two or three cases and it came in very handy. Otherwise it would have gone to the dump.

In the 1960's I had a friend who cleaned apartments after renters moved out and was allowed to keep any items left behind. She called me and asked if I'd like some dried beans and dried milk because she'd found a closet full of commodities. I was so happy to have the beans and that's pretty much what we ate that winter. The dried milk was horrible. No matter what I tried I was unable to reconstitute it into something useable and it ended up being given to a neighbor who used it to feed her cats. Again saved from the dump.

I think the move from commodities was in part because so much of the food was never used. In the 1980's government surplus cheese was given as a commodity and it was wonderful. Dh's workplace had closed and we had 4 teenagers in the house and receiving that cheese was like Christmas. The girls would be so excited and busy planning what all we could fix with it. Yes, I required my teenagers to cook. A useful rule was anyone who complained about a meal had to cook the next one.

Currently I take two ladies to the bi-monthly free food pantry and since I qualify financially I've started getting the free food too. A lot of trading goes on at the senior/handicapped complex where the other two ladies live. They have a cart where food they don't want is put free to whomever will use it. We invariably receive cans of pasta which I do not consider food, but it is gladly received by others who actually like the carp. I do not think much goes to waste. The Internet is so helpful with recipes for odd items received, but what does one do with 12 2# packages of dried figs?

Betty Rose, your anger is centered at the wrong person, it should be centered at government and allowing her to purchase junk. It never use to be that way, but like knee-grows they wanna have what the rest of us people have at the taxpayer expense. It never use to be that way, but now it's over the top! Enjoy looking at this receipt - it is REAL!

And as for the fat lady, shame on you for body shaming! Don't you know that that's politically incorrect? She only has fork and hand-to-mouth disease. /snark
    I know your being sarcastic, but I wanted to say it anyway.

I do not believe anyone is politically correct here including you!
    "Man is not to be blamed for sinning. After all, he faces great temptations and is extremely vulnerable. What he is blamed for is not doing Teshuvah (repenting) because he can do that at any time." Rav Simcha Bunim of P'shischa

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post

If not, forget her. The whole world is caught up in an economic Ponzi scheme and there is no sane end to it. Trying to impose some kind of sanity on an insane world will either drive you crazy or kill you. Is it worth all that just because of a few or a few thousand or a few billion digidollars with no more actual worth than the electronic energy necessary to put up this post?
    The "gist" I got from the op was that she felt (somehow) guilty of aiding and abetting this woman's suicide. She knows the simplicity of eating (at least) healthier and that HER dollars were putting poison in this woman's mouth.
    I remember that as a child I went without food for days at a time - hunger was ever present and as my dad went from job to job it was feast or famine - sometimes he kept a job for up to three years and "things" were fine. Then, without warning - no food again. Yes, I was a "skinny" child and did everything I could to help feed my family. I did finish school by the grace of God and worked part time too. THEN - VOILA I could buy my own food and as much as I wanted - fast food was a miracle and ready to eat "vittles" were a downfall. I have been in a weight battle since my move away from home and making a salary. If my health wasn't a problem, I would probably be huge by now - it's easy to over eat and to eat those foods "we" were deprived of as children - but common sense and diabetes have been my "friends" and I do control my weight, but I still LOVE to over eat.
    I say this, because this extremely overweight person in the op may have been starved as a child - but NOW - watch out!!
    Yes, I also see this as a (just one of them) conspiracy "plot" to achieve the globalist's agenda to depopulate the earth and make a profit at it - they take our tax dollars and convert them into ebt cards to fill their pockets while YOU eat yourself into a casket.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

Lastly, she pulled out $50 cash to pay for several packs of cigarettes.
    Dollar stores in your area sell cigarettes?

Huh. Whodda thunk.
    Last edited by maric; 07-11-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added thoght
    When you care to send the very best, send an Army Ranger!

Much wisdom here!

It would bug the crap out of me too! We taxpayers are footing the bill for this and we will be footing the bill for her medical expenses too.

Betty Rose, it's hardly different than seeing someone on the sidewalk shooting up. Sure, it's troubling, and even more troubling seeing that in some formerly-great cities, such as San Francisco, such addiction on the streets is just another thing to ignore.

It's not questioned that sugar is more addictive than cocaine, the rat studies are pretty clear on that. But that's processed and purified sugar. It would be hard to eat enough sweet apples to give you a health issue. You just get too full and they start to taste insipid.

Sugar is a powerful drug, because it causes the release of endogenous opiods. It is not by accident that it is paired with the right amount of salt and fat to create a powerful hook. It was done, with mathematics and experimentation, deliberately, to addict people.

Consider this:

"In the 1970s, a mathematician by the name of Howard Moskowitz discovered that the perfect combination of sugar, salt, and fat would optimize the human brain’s pleasure experience. He coined it the “bliss point.”

Fast-forward a few decades, and we now know that triggering the bliss point not only increases sensory experiences like taste and texture, but also activates an area deep in the brain, called the nucleus accumbens, which is associated with motivation and pleasure.

The nucleus accumbens is the same part of the brain that is activated by certain drugs such as cocaine, methamphetamines, nicotine, and morphine! In other words, the job of food designers is to create foods that hook your brain, just like addictive drugs.

Now new research published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine backs that up by demonstrating that sugar has a similar effect on the brain to powerful illegal drugs and that it can be as addictive as cocaine! Furthermore, they say, cutting out sugar can cause cravings, binges, and withdrawal symptoms – like a drug addict going cold turkey."

That's just a snip, and there are many, many references, the best being anything by Robert Lustig, the UCLA doctor who is famous for "crusading" against sugar. He and other docs are seeing many kids with serious liver disease from sugary drinks, formerly seen only in older alcoholics, fatty liver disease and other more serious conditions.

So, yes, your reaction, Betty Rose, appropriate and sadly, one most of us have become inured to, which is an American tragedy. We see people killing themselves slowly, and we look the other way. It's hard to talk someone out of addiction, sugar addiction. We tried with one of my extended family members (by marriage) but failed. She's dead now. No surprise there. When do you cry? When you realize they're killing themselves or when it's over?

Sometimes both.

https://www.brainmdhealth.com/blog/w...ave-in-common/

She knows the simplicity of eating (at least) healthier and that HER dollars were putting poison in this woman's mouth.

Sorry. Not HER dollars. Not MY dollars. Not ANYONE'S dollars. Number one, they are not actual dollars, just digital representations thereof. They are created out of thin air, on a keyboard, not as a result of anyone's actual labor.

Most "dollars" have been digital for decades. I first found out about it in 1996, when I read an article in the dead tree version of the New York Times weekly magazine called Dead As A Dollarby James Gleick. The digital version is still online at https://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/16/m...-a-dollar.html . You should read it, all of it, you really should, and the OP should as well. This article was the lever that pried me off my ignorance about money and made me really look into things. The simple fact is 'they' don't need your tax dollars, or your vote, or YOU as far as most of us are concerned. At least they are CONVINCED they don't.

Reality may yet intrude however. We will see.

Meanwhile, not my circus, not my monkeys. (God rest you, Louis Awerbuck)
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

There's a lot of possible solutions, just need the political will power to effect change, and it isn't there. So this is what we get.

She knows the simplicity of eating (at least) healthier and that HER dollars were putting poison in this woman's mouth.

Sorry. Not HER dollars. Not MY dollars. Not ANYONE'S dollars. Number one, they are not actual dollars, just digital representations thereof. They are created out of thin air, on a keyboard, not as a result of anyone's actual labor.

Most "dollars" have been digital for decades. I first found out about it in 1996, when I read an article in the dead tree version of the New York Times weekly magazine called Dead As A Dollarby James Gleick. The digital version is still online at https://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/16/m...-a-dollar.html . You should read it, all of it, you really should, and the OP should as well. This article was the lever that pried me off my ignorance about money and made me really look into things. The simple fact is 'they' don't need your tax dollars, or your vote, or YOU as far as most of us are concerned. At least they are CONVINCED they don't.

Reality may yet intrude however. We will see.

Meanwhile, not my circus, not my monkeys. (God rest you, Louis Awerbuck)
    Disagree. While digital dollars are un-limited, resources are finite, and the person who has the digital dollars is the person who gets the resources. Taxes are raised with the rise of inclusive welfare benefits, a mere shell-game proxy (yes), but that plus the inflation it causes, means the working tax payer has less dollars for resources, while the human slug on WIC has more.

Since we can't pack a couple of paragraphs of actual economic reality into every pissed-off welfare state comment, short-hand gets used. Yeah, technically less accurate, but I think it gets to the reality good enuf.'

Not when only one in a thousand (if that) understand it.

Betty, it bothered you?? good, it should. the obese food machine you saw was literally a walking dead person, probably a drain on the medical system and will most certainly be a huge drain soon enough. You and me, and the next generation have, are, and will pay for all the medical treatments until she dies, and it's just a matter of what she does and does not shove into her face. Consider that the govt and medical establishment condone this lifestyle because it's legal. Not only should you be bothered by the human garbage disposal, you should be double bothered that the govt is all for it, doctors know that such eating behavior is slow death so they can make lots of money off it, insurance companies just jack up premiums for you and everyone else to cover it so they don't care, and the processed food industry makes big bucks off what they're pushing!

Medicare Medicaid is a quarter of the entire budget and growing fast with no solution. Private health insurance is silly expensive and keeps going up. Fat to obese people are and will be SICK people, and they are ultimately that way because of what they shove in their face!

You should be damn mad and bothered !!!
    Yes it should bother you, it bothers me. And I agree with this post too.

I got food stamps back in the middle 80's also, 110 dollars a month for four people. I made a detailed list and bought good food to cook from scratch, and about $40 a month for what was not covered on the food stamps, for toilet paper, clothes washing stuff, etc. That and about $20 a week for milk and bread and such was our food for the month. I've also gotten food stamps a couple of times after a hurricane and I used it to help stock up my pantry.

I resent my tax dollars supporting these bottom feeders.

We get commodities for low income seniors and that food is cook from scratch and it goes into my already full pantry.

Judy

That government cheese was great! We got some a few times. I love cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    It's more about laziness, ignorance, and no self control. The fact that she weighed around 400 pounds is proof of that.

You see people buying that kind of crap in massive quantities, and this is exactly what you would expect to see. I hear people talking to others about "thyroid problems," or maybe "metabolism issues," and most of it is pure BS. I see what a lot of them eat, or what they put in their shopping carts.
    Wow judge much?? I don't weigh anywhere near 400 pounds but am classified as obese. I cook almost 100% homemade meals. My BP 120/63 cholesterol 173 and relatively healthy. I'm not lazy unless working 2 jobs 60-70 hours a week while maintaining a household counts as such. I am definitely not ignorant and yes, I do have self control.

Unfortunately it it is the card life dealt me. I work closely with my doctor and have managed to lose 72 pounds but guess what- still obese. I will never not be obese by today's standards.

As for the OP- I too get disgusted when I see people (fat, thin, short, tall, white, black- whoever) using food stamps to by things I myself cannot afford like steak, shrimp, whatever. But then I thank God I don't need to collect food stamps and get on with my life. Unless they tighten the laws on what you can buy this will continue.
    At peace in the arms of Jesus. RIP my love until we meet again.

Yup - after all the lower income assistance people picked through what they wanted, pops would go get some of the surplus cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    I love going to the bakery section for those individual sized little bread loaves. About the size of a kaiser bun. I like to make sandwiches using them rather than flat sliced bread. The taste and texture are far superior. But I do enjoy pastries and get packages of Little Debbie (I don’t do Hostess anymore) Swiss rolls, or donut sticks. I certainly don’t live on them, but I like to have a few in the fridge (yes, I like them cold) if I feel run-down.
    A couple, maybe three years ago, those little bread loaves were ten cents a pop. Then, they went up to twenty. Last time I looked, they were up to a quarter.

If you have ever had a homemade oatmeal pie, that is pure bliss. Store bought can't compare.
    Don't be dismayed by goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. --Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Rose View Post
    snip

Somehow, this just really rubs me the wrong way that I'm paying plenty of taxes, and eating my leafy greens and lean meat, and exercising every day and striving to stay healthy and yet, I'm paying for someone else's really poor choices?
    Yes you are.

We just thought we did away with slavery but the socialists enslave every working man and woman and other to pay the bills of those who can't or won't provide for themselves.

One could make a case for helping those who can't but should we be required at the point of a government gun to care for those who simply won't care for themselves?
    Matthew 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by maric View Post
    Dollar stores in your area sell cigarettes?

Huh. Whodda thunk.
    Introducing Dollar Tree Plus! Yep, you can soon purchase alcohol at the Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree use to sell wine for $1. I bought a couple of bottlesw of it - not drinkable to my liking, but to a wino, they won't care.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-i...145727456.html

All anyone can control about the things they cannot control is their reactions to them.

Don't do yourself harm ...

It's a deliberate choice, not a "condition".

Put all the food 10 feet off the ground and a pile cinder blocks that need to be piled up to access it.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Bing eating of sugar rich foods can be as much of a chemical addiction to some people as cigarettes or opioids.
    Official TB2K Comedy Relief ; I resemble that remark! ; Aloha Snackbar; Nuke a Gay Whale For Christ and other Political Incorrectness
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it. FRA

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    Bing eating of sugar rich foods can be as much of a chemical addiction to some people as cigarettes or opioids.
    Still a deliberate choice.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

One cannot argue Millwright's logic, sure it may be a difficult choice for some and an easy choice for others...but its a choice.

I did not read all the replies, but I feel Betty ROses pain. and others.

bacck in the early 70's many of those newly weds like me, struggled.. no work, no income. doing what ever you could to feed your family, a few times we had to go to the church that would fill a brown bag of food. many times I fed my daughter from the church and husband and I would share 1 piece of bologna and a half can of beans.

when we went for help, it was a hand up, not a hand out and we did what ever we could to bring in money to feed our baby. I cleaned dirty houses, and babysat and pet sat. ets. so I have no issue with helping those that WANT to better themselves.. but what we are dealing with is GIMME DATS ... that is what I abhor!

and I wish the welfare would close.. and we go back to were family helped family in need....
    Inner Connections
    God gets the
    Glory...He gave the Gift

Quote Originally Posted by mistaken1 View Post
    Yes you are.

We just thought we did away with slavery but the socialists enslave every working man and woman and other to pay the bills of those who can't or won't provide for themselves.

One could make a case for helping those who can't but should we be required at the point of a government gun to care for those who simply won't care for themselves?
    In this case - food - it includes but is more than the D socialists. Anyone in the medical profession should well know how the body metabolizes food. Anyone in the food manufacturing industry does know. The medical insurance industry sees the hard facts every day. Govt has 'recommended' a significantly dangerously wrong food pyramid for decades. There's more people in decision making positions that know damn well that twinkies, wonderbread, cocoacola, kids breakfast cereals, etc literally are slowly killing people yet engineer the production and optimize the sale of same.

This is going to sound harsh, but it doesn't strike me as sad at all. She is a parasite. I have compassion for obese people who are suffering due to having accepted the wrong dietary information, nevertheless, better information is out there, for free. People have to go find it, and apply it.

This woman is living off the labor of others, and not even trying (smoking as well). The sooner people like her are in their graves, the better. You always get more of what you subsidize.
    Our society needs a big re-set.
    Agreed. Going further, when someone's budget is public sourced, their lives should be as well. This is why I believe the first welfare check should come after a Depo-Provera shot (for females under age 45), the 6 month one a Norplant, and the 3 year one or second kid born during welfare a tubal ligation. Oh, and drug testing for all welfare types should be universal, to include alcohol and nicotine; if you can afford those, you obviously don't need welfare. Lastly, casinos, lotteries, racetracks, movie theaters, Netflix, cable/satellite TV companies, dating services, etc., should not be allowed to do business with people on welfare.
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

This was about 1967 or so, are you sure it was food stamps and not commodities centers? Although each State may have been different even today the programs are a State and Federal combination of rules, funding etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    I was about 4 years old, so I could have misjudged. After all, that was like 400 years ago.
    I was wondering, I remember my parents getting gov't cheese, rice, beans, and powdered milk at one point. So it must have been a commodities center they went to to get that stuff. I remember the cheese was good.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

This was about 1967 or so, are you sure it was food stamps and not commodities centers? Although each State may have been different even today the programs are a State and Federal combination of rules, funding etc
    One thing, BettyRose, if you are still following this thread. Life CAN be about abundance. Eat foods you enjoy. If that means serloin, and fois gras...do it. Fatty meat is the staff of life. Add some real butter, if you like. I don't eat any veggies I don't WANT to eat, and I feel much better for it. Find for me the nutritional study that stay people NEED vegetables. Mongolians, the Massi and the Inuit haven't ever bothered. They do fine.

So, if what is REALLY bugging you, is that you feel you are sacrificing to do everything nutritionally *correct,* on your own money while this slug stuffs her face...just let it go, like Meemur suggested. Her sorry existence doesn't matter; not one bit. Don't waste precious moments giving it any attention. Focus on the beauty of Creation, and all the savory, satisfying foods you love to eat.
    Actually, Betty should be praying for this poor woman's soul! We all should. None of us are getting past Judgment Day without the blood of Christ!

That said I find some of the comments here to be quite hurtful, as a person who still has 80 pounds left to lose, after losing 87 pounds. I get assholes that walk up to me on a regular basis making nasty comments to me, when I'm having a bad day and have to walk with my cane.

The comment is always the same "did you know if you lose weight you won't have to walk with a cane anymore?"

Me: Really? Wow, really I didn't know losing weight could cure Parkinson's! The look on their faces is priceless. The reason there are days I walk with a cane has nothing to do with my weight but because I'm having a bad day and I'm dealing with falling issues due to the Parkinson's.

As for the woman in the OP, food addiction is real. OC's coworker has it, she's had GBS and every day is a real struggle to not eat anything other that what the doctor has told her she can eat. We've talked about it numerous times and it's bad enough that she becomes suicidal at times because she wants to eat sugary stuff and yes it's that bad. Yes she has other issues of which I won't go into here, but be assured that sugar addiction is very real and it has been proven that it's easier to stop using cocaine and heroin than it is to stop a sugar addiction.
    Last edited by packyderms_wife; 07-11-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

You did know that sweets produce a dopamine response, the same as addictive drugs do but not as strong but none the less addictive.
    Actually the opposite has been proven scientifically. I've read quite a few scientific and medical articles on sugar addiction and it's worse than a cocaine or heroin addiction. The sugar industry knew what they were doing 50 years ago when the paid Harvard IIRC to publish that article praising carbs and slamming fats.

Quote Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
    Wow judge much?? I don't weigh anywhere near 400 pounds but am classified as obese. I cook almost 100% homemade meals. My BP 120/63 cholesterol 173 and relatively healthy. I'm not lazy unless working 2 jobs 60-70 hours a week while maintaining a household counts as such. I am definitely not ignorant and yes, I do have self control.

Unfortunately it it is the card life dealt me. I work closely with my doctor and have managed to lose 72 pounds but guess what- still obese. I will never not be obese by today's standards.

As for the OP- I too get disgusted when I see people (fat, thin, short, tall, white, black- whoever) using food stamps to by things I myself cannot afford like steak, shrimp, whatever. But then I thank God I don't need to collect food stamps and get on with my life. Unless they tighten the laws on what you can buy this will continue.

I'm the same way even at 128 pounds and 5'6" I was still classified as "obese" by my doctor. SMH. I was solid muscle from milking cows, doing farm chores, and running every day. But nope I was still obese. I have a large frame for a woman. Now I'm definitely obese, life got out of hand coupled with menopause that my doctors kept denying I was in and trust me had I KNOWN I was in perimenopause I would have changed my meal plan oh so much sooner! Some here were born with perfect genetics, and it shows.