Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Seriously, I'm struggling to understand why this bothers me so much...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    That's the way it was in the early 70's with us. We could shop in regular stores with stamps, but couldn't buy junk foods, prepared foods etc. Or detergent, bleach, stuff like that. Mama used to go to the welfare office once a month, where commodity food items were distributed. Loved the cheese, the canned prunes and the flour (biscuits) . The peanut butter was too runny.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    When Dennis? My Mom was a church volunteer when they moved from commodities to food stamps in our local area and I was with her when she took the elderly women she was volunteering with to the supermarket for the first time with food stamps.

It was the local market and she cried because she had a choice of hamburger or chicken instead of whatever was in the can.

When the family was getting commodities my Mom used to "trade" her for them buying things like milk, juice, oatmeal etc for their 2-year-old grandchild (that lived with them) and taking the commodities home to our house (cornmeal, very fatty and horrible canned pork, dried milk etc) where my Mom taught me to cook with some of it (she grew up dirt poor) but a lot went to our chickens to make eggs (some of which went back to the family my Mom's church was helping).

There may have been a UDSA store for Food Stamps in some places but that wasn't what happened in rural California - it went directly from the distribution of "commodities" (which were OK for healthy adults but terrible nutrition for a tiny child or elderly person with cancer) to Food Stamps buy what you want.

Except back then I think I lot of folks reacted like the elderly grandmother in question who wouldn't have dreamed of buying lobster but was crying with joy over being able to choose cheap hamburger or cheap chicken.

Well, i don't know now about trying to eat healthy. I have a friend who is a strict hindu (american) who for the last 40 yrs was a strict vegetarian, no meat, no eggs, just grains, milk, yogurt and veggies, no smoking, no drinking, and oh, also no sex cuz his religion forbids it. (a control factor) The guy ate much better than me and cooked from scratch. I just found out a few days ago that he is in the hosp. with a serious brain tumor glioblastoma. He said he rarely used the cell phone and i don't know how a guy like that gets a brain tumor. This kind is deadly. I'm gonna keep eating my chicken and beef. Might as well.

I did starve for 3 months over 20 yrs ago when i lost my job. I did go to a soup kitchen 3 days a week and ate some at my moms house, but i went to bed real hungry every nite and becuz of it i now pig out just before bedtime and don't want an empty stomach at bedtime even tho i know it's bad and sometimes i will get heartburn. I still do it. Like a small bag of chips or p butter and crackers. I'm 12 lbs over weight. This is what got me started in prepping cuz it's horrible to starve. I have at least 3 months of food in the house. Lots of beans, rice, lentils, oatmeal, pasta, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    YouTube has countless cooking videos. No .gov money needs to be spent on teaching people how to cook (and, it's not the gov's job). Frequently, the rice or oatmeal package has the directions on how to cook it. How much instruction does a person need to pan fry a slab of meat, anyway?

Trial and error. People can figure it out.
    Utube requires a luxury called the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Commander View Post
    Utube requires a luxury called the internet.
    Available for free at most of the >9,000 public libraries in the U.S.
    Can't bring recreational chemicals in while there, though (including tobacco, malt liquor, or tequila), though, so there's that impediment.
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

If you get some of that free dried milk don't forget that you can MAKE PAINT from MILK
    Google "milk paint recipes" and forget about paying whatever wall paint costs nowadays!!

links to milk paint recipes:
    https://www.earthpigments.com/milk-paint-with-lime/
    https://www.realmilkpaint.com/help/r...ur-own-paints/
    Here is BOB VILA'S website recipe for wall and furniture milk paint:
    https://www.bobvila.com/articles/milk-paint-recipe/
    Martha Stewart's milk paint recipe:
    https://www.marthastewart.com/272306/milk-paint-recipe
    ďSAVEDĒ or ďUNSAVEDĒ, Jesus knows you personally,
    everything you are going through right now,
    and He loves you Dearly, and wants to help.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    That's the way it was in the early 70's with us. We could shop in regular stores with stamps, but couldn't buy junk foods, prepared foods etc. Or detergent, bleach, stuff like that. Mama used to go to the welfare office once a month, where commodity food items were distributed. Loved the cheese, the canned prunes and the flour (biscuits) . The peanut butter was too runny.
    Back, then, theoil would separate from the PB paste, no matter where you got it from. You’d have to stir it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Where's my help and support group for working 12 hours then working at home 6 or 8 more hours? The welfare dregs are asleep when I go to work and drinking beer when I drive by in the evening. At least they wave and nod a "thanks" when I drive by. /sarc
    where i live there is a section of town where almost all the new immigrants settle when they arrive here. i usually go to the value mart there on saturday as they mark down a lot of their meat. there is maybe one or two cars in the lot at 9-10am. the store is deserted. now in contrast the section of town where i live the grocery stores parking lot is packed at 8am. what area do you think the people work in my town?
    ========================================
    DONT BLAME ME! IM NOT MY FAULT!
    the biggest thing that we have learned from history is that we haven't learned anything from history!
    Veritas vos liberabit

Quote Originally Posted by kytom View Post
    where i live there is a section of town where almost all the new immigrants settle when they arrive here. i usually go to the value mart there on saturday as they mark down a lot of their meat. there is maybe one or two cars in the lot at 9-10am. the store is deserted. now in contrast the section of town where i live the grocery stores parking lot is packed at 8am. what area do you think the people work in my town?
    I think I get your point. Of course Sat morn might get lots of mon-fri workers and the 'grants probably work 7 days a week.

I drive through a little town that has a couple of multi-story low income apt buildings. The roads are polluted with walkers at 2 or 3 in the morning. Young adults. Dodging them is worse than dodging deer. NOTHING open in the town. I don't know where they go.... Do I ever see the city police car at that time? NOPE. But he'll be running radar on Sunday mornings to catch the tardy church-goers. I guess they pay better than the apt. dwellers.

Oh, common knowledge we have a drug house within spitting distance of the church. New development is the sheriff's dept has started leaving a parked cruiser across the street from the drug den. Nobody in it, just parked. Funny in a sad kind of way.
    This part of Appalachia hasn't seen any immigrants to date. We're prolly not much better off than mehico.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Quote Originally Posted by kytom View Post
    Where you live, the illegals and diverse nonAmericans have the Americans' jobs. That's obvious.
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Back, then, theoil would separate from the PB paste, no matter where you got it from. You’d have to stir it.
    That's because it was real. Most brands now days they take the peanut oil out and sell it separate (because more profit). Then they replace it with cheaper Soy Oil and mix it up real well. Doesn't separate but not as healthy. Read the label.

My daughter worked at walmart for a couple of years, she used to come home most nights mad as hell. she would complain that people with food stamps were buying all kinds of good stuff, steaks, expensive vegetables. fancy cakes, she yell and say we dont get to buy that good stuff, no hamburger in the cart, one woman ever bragged, she was gonna trade the steaks for booze. they need a special store, with all the basics. flour yeast, beans . rice. mabye butter and cooking oil,

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury3 View Post
    That's because it was real. Most brands now days they take the peanut oil out and sell it separate (because more profit). Then they replace it with cheaper Soy Oil and mix it up real well. Doesn't separate but not as healthy. Read the label.
    Is that true for ALL peanut butter or just the cheap stuff?

I do love me some good peanut butter!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Houst...66628136682759

Houston's used to make fresh peanut butter for you on the spot. They were a regular stop for us, on the way to the beach.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by glennb6 View Post
    just one more thin mint mam, just a little one....
    ...we know how that turned out...
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Itís a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Hi, Betty. Glad you got moved and are settling in!

Here's how I handle it: when I shop at Aldi, the Dollar Store, or Walmart, I remind myself that I'm going to run into people who annoy me for various reasons. I have a choice -- I can either save some cash -OR- I can shop where there are fewer people who bother me -- and pay a lot more money.

I will be in the store ten minutes or less and will save $XX (amount varies).

I focus on that, and when I leave the store, I forget about what I have seen and heard. I turn on some nice music or go for a relaxing walk.

Hope that helps a little!
    Absolutely great advice. I also pray that I keep a good attitude and not shoot off my mouth at the time of being subjected to the stupidity/circus...have had to do this many, many times in the past, while I focus on getting away from the zoolishness....(as in zoo and zombified).
    Proverbs 11:20 God canít stand deceivers, but oh how he relishes integrity.