Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

SCI ANCIENT TREE WITH RECORD OF EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD REVERSAL IN ITS RINGS DISCOVERED
+ Reply to Thread

ANCIENT TREE WITH RECORD OF EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD REVERSAL IN ITS RINGS DISCOVERED

https://www.newsweek.com/ancient-tre...k5RKrDliKJqRwU

ANCIENT TREE WITH RECORD OF EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD REVERSAL IN ITS RINGS DISCOVERED
    BY HANNAH OSBORNE ON 7/4/19 AT 10:47 AM EDT

An ancient tree that contains a record of a reversal of Earth's magnetic field has been discovered in New Zealand. The tree—an Agathis australis, better known as its Māori name kauri—was found in Ngawha, on New Zealand's North Island, during excavation work for the expansion of a geothermal power plant, stuff.nz reports.

The tree, which had been buried in 26 feet of soil, measures eight feet in diameter and 65 feet in length. Carbon dating revealed it lived for 1,500 years, between 41,000 and 42,500 years ago.

"There's nothing like this anywhere in the world," Alan Hogg, from New Zealand's University of Waikato, told the website. "This Ngāwhā kauri is unique."

The lifespan of the kauri tree covers a point in Earth's history when the magnetic field almost reversed. At this time, the magnetic north and south went on an excursion but did not quite complete a full reversal.

Earth's magnetic field is thought to be generated by the iron in the planet's core. As it moves around, it produces electric currents that extend far into space. The magnetic field acts as a barrier, protecting Earth from the solar wind. This is a stream of charged particles from the Sun that could strip away the ozone layer if it were to impact the atmosphere.

When the magnetic field reverses—or attempts to—it gets weaker, leading to more radiation from the Sun getting through. Previously, scientists have linked extinction events to magnetic field reversals.

The newly discovered kauri tree's rings contain a complete record of a near-reversal—the first time a tree that lived during the entire event has ever been found. "It's the time it takes for this movement to occur that is the critical thing...We will map these changes much more accurately using the tree rings," Hogg told stuff.nz.

Kauri tree
    The kauri tree unearthed during the expansion of the Ngāwhā Generation geothermal power plant.

Samples of the tree are now being analyzed by scientists, led by Chris Turney from the University of New South Wales—an expert in paleoclimatology and climate change. Understanding what happened to the tree during the event could provide an insight into what we should expect the next time it happens. "We will have increased cosmic radiation. It will take out satellites and it might take out other communication infrastructure," Hogg said.

Turney told Newsweek: "The precious thing is this huge, lonely tree grew for some 1700 years across a remarkable period in our planet's history when the Earth's magnetic field flipped some 42,000 years ago, a period known as the Laschamp Excursion. Funded by the Australian Research Council we're undertaking detailed measurements of the radioactive form of carbon through the tree rings."

Magnetic field reversals happen at random intervals, although in the last 20 millions years it appears to have settled into a pattern, happening once every 200,000 to 300,000 years, NASA says. The last full reversal took place around 780,000 years ago.

Scientists recently announced the magnetic north pole had moved unexpectedly. Instead of tracking steadily from the Canadian Arctic towards Siberia, it sped up so much that researchers had to update the World Magnetic Model (WMM)—a representation of Earth's magnetic field that is used by GPS systems worldwide.

"Because the Earth's magentic field has a major effect on how much radiocarbon carbon is formed in the upper atmosphere, these precious analyses will allow us to investigate the magnitude and rate of change when the magnetic field reversed during the Laschamp; something not possible before and of great interest given recent changes in the Earth's magnetic field," Turney said.

This article has been updated to include an image of the tree and quotes from Chris Turney.

northern lights
    File photo. Aurora are produced by the solar wind interacting with the geomagnetic field.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Thanks for posting this, packy.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Great find. Thanks for sharing.
    We live in a time of conflict - external and internal - when we sometimes concentrate too much on what divides us. Today, fly the Stars and Stripes with pride and confidence that what unites is far stronger.
    Charlie Dent

This story fits the Saturn Velikovsky theory, when the earth was in eternal spring with a purple sky.
    It isn't the job of our government to take care of you, but to create and maintain the environment in which you can take care of yourself.

The only things that survive magnetic reversals (because of the cosmic radiation that makes it to ground level ) apparently, are those things that are underwater, in caves, underground, or deep canyons.
    ” Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man”
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

Quote Originally Posted by jed turtle View Post
    The only things that survive magnetic reversals (because of the cosmic radiation that makes it to ground level ) apparently, are those things that are underwater, in caves, underground, or deep canyons.
    Show proof of mass extinctions at every single magnetic reversal and I'll give that statement more credibility. Otherwise it's just a load of crap.

i recommend Robert Felix's book "Magnetic Reversals and evolutionary leaps"
    but there's this:
    https://www.iceagenow.info/rapid-mag...ays-scientist/

Rapid magnetic reversals caused mass extinction, says scientist
    February 28, 2016 by Robert

Also lead to rapid evolution, which I’ve been saying for years.

A new study proposes that the devastating mass extinction at the end of the Ediacaran Period can be connected to rapid reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field.

Geologist Joseph Meert of the University of Florida in Gainesville and his colleagues think the rapid reversals destroyed much of the ozone layer, thus allowing a flood of ultraviolet radiation onto our planet.
    Opabinia - Courtesy Wikipedia
    Opabinia – Courtesy Wikipedia

Prior to that extinction, large, soft-bodied creatures up to a meter (3.3 feet) across resided beneath a thick, slimy mass of bacteria on the seafloor. Then suddenly, at what is known as the “Cambrian explosion,” a multitude of more complex animal groups inexplicably appear in the geologic record. Opabinia , for example, had five eyes.

Scientists have long argued over what caused the Cambrian explosion, an evolutionary event beginning around 542 million years ago during which most major animal phyla appear in the fossil record.

Meert’s team found evidence (now in press in Gondwana Research) that the reversal rate during the Ediacaran Period was 20 times faster than today. “Earth’s magnetic field underwent a period of hyperactive reversals,” says Meert.

Previous research has suggested that Earth’s protective magnetic field shields life from harmful solar radiation and cosmic rays.

However, the magnetic field would be weaker during periods of frequent reversals. With the shield weakened, ever more high-energy particles would penetrate the planet’s upper atmosphere, which, in turn, would double the amount of UV radiation reaching Earth’s surface.

Many evolutionary changes that occurred during that era could be explained in this way, says Meert.

Vindication! This, of course, is what I’ve been saying for years. I think the weakened magnetic field allows mutation-causing radioactivity to bathe our planet, leading to evolutionary leaps. (See both Not by Fire but by Ice and Magnetic Reversals and Evolutionary Leaps.

See:
    “Rapid changes of magnetic Field polarity in the late Ediacaran: Linking the Cambrian evolutionary radiation and increased UV-B radiation”
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S134

See also:
    “Hyperactive magnetic field may have led to one of Earth’s major extinctions” http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/...or-extinctions

See also:
    http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/201...eld-reversals/

Thanks to John Zielinski for these links
    ” Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man”

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Thanks for posting this, packy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mourningdove View Post
    Great find. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_wave View Post
    This story fits the Saturn Velikovsky theory, when the earth was in eternal spring with a purple sky.

You're welcome, and I've never heard of that Theory. Will have to check it out!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

This video may explain the time of the purple sky, it also shows how the grand canyon and places like it may have be created. from zohar stargate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp_TC1w-jfc

Good stuff, wonder if the Libs will blame it on Trump

Quote Originally Posted by parocan View Post
    This video may explain the time of the purple sky, it also shows how the grand canyon and places like it may have be created. from zohar stargate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp_TC1w-jfc

Yup, you got it right with that video. Good stuff.
    It isn't the job of our government to take care of you, but to create and maintain the environment in which you can take care of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 223shootersc View Post
    Good stuff, wonder if the Libs will blame it on Trump
    I saw some idiot on FB blame it on manmade climate change! SMH.

I don’t understand how how both can be true:

“Turney told Newsweek: "The precious thing is this huge, lonely tree grew for some 1700 years across a remarkable period in our planet's history when the Earth's magnetic field flipped some 42,000 years ago, a period known as the Laschamp Excursion. Funded by the Australian Research Council we're undertaking detailed measurements of the radioactive form of carbon through the tree rings."

Magnetic field reversals happen at random intervals, although in the last 20 millions years it appears to have settled into a pattern, happening once every 200,000 to 300,000 years, NASA says. The last full reversal took place around 780,000 years ago.”

Love that site. that video to me explains how the dinosaurs may have existed on this planet. I always had a problem
    with their size considering the gravity on this planet and the amount of food needed to feed animals of that size.
    But with this theory the gravity most likely would have been different and the plants would have grown beyond our belief.

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post

“Turney told Newsweek: "The precious thing is this huge, lonely tree grew for some 1700 years across a remarkable period in our planet's history when the Earth's magnetic field flipped some 42,000 years ago, a period known as the Laschamp Excursion. Funded by the Australian Research Council we're undertaking detailed measurements of the radioactive form of carbon through the tree rings."

Magnetic field reversals happen at random intervals, although in the last 20 millions years it appears to have settled into a pattern, happening once every 200,000 to 300,000 years, NASA says. The last full reversal took place around 780,000 years ago.”
    They state that the tree lived through a near full reversal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    They state that the tree lived through a near full reversal.
    It says the magnetic field “flipped” - that’s a reversal

Thank you for posting!!! Really cool article!!
    Author of "Loose Ends - A Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery." Dreams do come true!

http://www.amazon.com/Loose-OReilly-...5105847&sr=8-1

I just want a few Slabs of it to make some cool Dining room tables of.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

"My Shoes are too Tight. But it is ok as I have forgotten how to Dance."

Quote Originally Posted by jed turtle View Post
    i recommend Robert Felix's book "Magnetic Reversals and evolutionary leaps"
    but there's this:
    https://www.iceagenow.info/rapid-mag...ays-scientist/
    There's a huge difference between "may have caused evolutionary leaps in a single magnetic reversal" and "everything unprotected dies every single magnetic reversal."

That tree should be able to tell us how much time the magnetic reversal takes. Is it two years? Twenty years? One Hundred years? Or a thousand? That would tell us the amount of solar radiation the earth receives during the 'flip'.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    There's a huge difference between "may have caused evolutionary leaps in a single magnetic reversal" and "everything unprotected dies every single magnetic reversal."
    Guess you are just going to have to read the book like I did to figure out what he actually does say...

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post

Yeah.... not exactly logical.

Show proof of mass extinctions at every single magnetic reversal and I'll give that statement more credibility. Otherwise it's just a load of crap.
    Proof? What qualifies as proof?

Try Reading Robert Felix's "Magnetic Reversal and Evolutionary Leaps." It'll will at least give you some interesting things to think about.

As I said, I think it's an enormous gap between the mutations of a few species and mass extinctions (mass extinctions being more than, say, 50% of every species living at the time going entirely extinct) every time there's a magnetic reversal. I was taking exception to jed turtle's flat statement of fact, "The only [emphasis added] things that survive magnetic reversals (because of the cosmic radiation that makes it to ground level ) apparently, are those things that are underwater, in caves, underground, or deep canyons." I never said there were no consequences of any kind to magnetic reversals, but we'd certainly find out for sure if we went through one.

In any case I think how magnetic reversals work is that the poles wander and even multiply (that is, there could be several magnetic north poles at the exact same time) over many human lifetimes before settling down to a new equilibrium rather than simply vanish entirely for hundreds or thousands of years. No magnetic field at all probably would leave traces everywhere you turned, not just in rare cases. It's kind of like a few years ago when some Russians claimed many tens of millions died in the US during the Great Depression and the deaths were covered up -- with that kind of death rate everyone would know someone who died and even today you'd practically be kicking unburied skulls every time you walked out of the house. So show me the "unburied multitudes" from magnetic reversals.

If I remember correctly, Felix was saying that his study of the work that has been done studying the previous studies of magnetic reversals indicated that there were massive die-offs of entire species during the known magnetic reversals, immediately followed by the emergence of many new species, which indicate a rather unexpected and unique event. He theorizes that pregnant individuals carrying fraternal twins (a brother/sister set of twins) were somehow protected enough from the worst of the radiation exposure, but not enough to prevent mutations to the twins, thus, each sharing the same mutatiOns, and being the first of their new kind of species, mating with each other, begin a new line of a new species.
    Who knows, but a reasonable theory anyways.
    Also,
    Felix believes the evidence indicates that the flips can be quite sudden, but brief, contrary to orthodox belief that it might take centuries, and in fact, the current migration of the magnetic poles and increasingly rapid loss of strength of the field suggests not only that he may be onto something, but that we will find out just what that is, within the lifetimes of most of us here on this forum...

My concern is that this novel circumstance is brought about by something much bigger than mere Earth centered phenomenon, but rather is linked to the sun and a much longer cycle that it undergoes, or perhaps, even, something larger than the sun...