Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER TS Barry
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TS Barry

Wow! Thanks for the update, my cousins live in Biloxi and I used to spend time in New Orleans when I was in and just out of college (Hammond too).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Bumping forecast cone to page 2. (should auto-update)

Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Looks like it's heading right my way. 5th storm in 10 years. Fired up the Generator this last weekend and put fresh gas. I have lots of water in 5 gallon jugs, and 4 cases of 40 bottles of drinking water. Wish I had a flat bottom boat of some kind. I need to stop on the way home and top off gas in my car, and some groceries. Nothing else I can do.

Odd weather for sure.

People in New Orleans are still the stupidest people!
    I remember before Katrina hit, they were interviewing people on the street. They asked one negro girl, about 15, what her and her family were going to do, what with a hurricane headed their way. The girl said "What's a hurricane?"
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein

I'm on a local board following pretty closely. The worry from folks in the NOLA area is the surge pushing the river over the 20ft mark, and also whether all the pumps are functioning. There are reports from this morning that the Broad St. pumps are already out. Also, there is at least one weather man predicting overtopping of the river levee in Plaquemines & St. Bernard (down river from NOLA). This will be a storm where a wiggle in the track by just a couple of miles could be the difference in simply a significant rain event and an outright catastrophy.
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

Louisiana authorities plan to close more than 90 floodgates ahead of storm

July 10 (UPI) — Louisiana officials plan to close more than 90 floodgates in the state ahead of a storm off the Gulf Coast that is forecast to make landfall later this week.

Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority spokesman Antwan Harris told CNN that they closed 21 floodgates on Wednesday with plans to close at least 70 more throughout the next 24 hours.

He added the focus would be on floodgates along the Mississippi River.

Plaquemines Parish on the coast of New Orleans ordered mandatory evacuations in response to the approaching storm.

“Plaquemines Parish Government has taken all precautions in preparing for Tropical Storm Barry,” Parish President Kirk Lepine said, declaring a state of emergency in the parish. “Additional rainfall, high winds and storm surge are expected.”

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards declared a state of emergency Wednesday warning that the low-pressure system currently in the Gulf of Mexico is expected to produce storm surge, hurricane-force winds and up to 15 inches of rain throughout the state.

“This going to be a Louisiana event with coastal flooding and widespread, heavy rainfall potentially impacting every part of the state,” Edwards said. “No one should take this storm lightly. As we know all too well in Louisiana, low intensity does not necessarily mean low impact.”

Louisiana already began experiencing heavy rain and flooding on Wednesday and flash flood warnings were issued for portions of the state.

“I urge the public to continue monitoring local media for weather developments and follow the directions of local officials,” Edwards said.

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell also declared a state of emergency for the city.

“New Orleans may experience more widespread localized severe flooding and gale force winds that could result in the endangerment and threat of life, injury and possible property damage,” she said.

The storm has nearly a 100 percent chance of strengthening to become Tropical Storm Barry — the second named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season — and could become a Category 1 hurricane by the time it is forecast to make landfall in Louisiana on Saturday, Accuweather meteorologists said.

In preparation for the storm, officials in New Orleans began monitoring for any potential storm surge impacts on the Mississippi River.

Heavy rainfall is also expected in Mississippi, western Tennessee, Arkansas and northeastern Texas.

https://www.breitbart.com/news/louis...head-of-storm/

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    I remember before Katrina hit, they were interviewing people on the street. They asked one negro girl, about 15, what her and her family were going to do, what with a hurricane headed their way. The girl said "What's a hurricane?"
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by BenIan View Post
    I can’t see out from under all this spaghetti.

Seriously though, the models are coalescing and it looks like I will be getting some extreme amounts of rain. Prayers are appreciated.
    We are going to get it here in Louisiana also.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    That's the ignorance from the government schools and growing up in the projects, all people in New Orleans are not like that. Do not rely on news people for truth.

Judy

I'm on a local board following pretty closely. The worry from folks in the NOLA area is the surge pushing the river over the 20ft mark, and also whether all the pumps are functioning. There are reports from this morning that the Broad St. pumps are already out. Also, there is at least one weather man predicting overtopping of the river levee in Plaquemines & St. Bernard (down river from NOLA). This will be a storm where a wiggle in the track by just a couple of miles could be the difference in simply a significant rain event and an outright catastrophy.
    I saw pictures today of moving water on Royal Street, Royal Street in on a ridge, as well as all of the FQ. In the 40+ years I lived in New Orleans (and for a few years in the FQ) I don't remember it being like that. It has to be something other than the rain fall, color me a skeptic.

My family lives in Destrahan and Mandeville, but they work in the city.

Judy

Judy

They are moving the forecast cone a little more east with every update. (post 42)

It's going back to Tenn. where it started.

Another little low west of Africa, not expected to develop.

Deplorable

Yea! I don't mind these little "Dry Runs". It keeps you prepped and at attention this time of year. I've had my fill of these storms the last 10 years.

There's not much on the coast, where they are showing it going in, around Vermilion Bay. It may cause problems further inland for Baton Rouge if there's lots of rain.

It's tracking right up the Miss. river.

All that runoff will be right there-right now.

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    It's tracking right up the Miss. river.
    Yes, it does seem to be doing exactly that. Anybody else creeped out just a little bit by that?
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

Latest model still looks like a bad scenario for BRLA & NOLA. Both cities already have drainage issues (long standing drainage issues), the MS River is already at capacity, Lake Pontchartrain is already full of diverted river water and according to these models at least 15”-20” expected to fall, plus surge. I don’t know where the water is going to go.
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

Quote Originally Posted by flying screwdriver View Post
    That mess has sat on us over a week, storms, tropical humidity it was hell.

Had to do something.
    Fixed pot of fresh beans with lots of onions and garlic.

Blew that mess into a vortex. Blasted it Outta here.
    The aftermath is not my problem.
    Damn.
    The cone has it coming BACK to TENNESSEE.

Adding poblano to new pot o' beans. Setting up to blow it back outta here...AGAIN.

This could go on all summer.
    Do NOT confuse my personality with my attitude.
    My personality depends on ME.
    My attitude depends on YOU.

Rage, RAGE against the Dying of the Light...
    and the Sound...and the Drums...and The Guitar!

Officially Tropical Storm Barry as of the 10 am central time update...

For those of you scoring at home...

a WHOLE BUNCH OF WATER is about to get dumped into a full-to-the-brim Mississippi River...if the present track holds I have no idea what might happen, but the possibilities are alarming
    Attached Images

expected rainfall totals
    Attached Images

For those interested...link to weather camera in Cocodrie...should be on the east side of the storm if models hold

http://lumcon:user1lumcon@198.99.188...mjpg/video.cgi

Venice Marina camera (lower Plaquemines Parish, down river from NOLA)

http://www.venicemarina.com/live-view.html

South Louisiana flood risk.
    Attached Images

For those with no boat and no way to finance one, there are inflatable rafts ( make sure you have a working bike pump and good paddle )

will hold a couple kids or you and the dog.

many places to get them. Sporting goods, some Wal Marts, pool supply houses. Example:

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...flates%2FPools

better than nothing to get you to dry ground or a rescue squad

Zello app to contact Cajun Navy, download it now and keep those phones charged up

https://zello.com/personal/

Wal Mart carries little solar phone/tablet chargers, some are waterproof

God be with all downstream

Leave it to Barry to come in the back door.

Always of interest in such weather events, and not mentioned AFAIK so far, is how much such flooding will expedite the day that the Mississippi River will finally change course to run through the Atchafalya River.
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogizorch View Post
    Leave it to Barry to come in the back door.
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    Always of interest in such weather events, and not mentioned AFAIK so far, is how much such flooding will expedite the day that the Mississippi River will finally change course to run through the Atchafalya River.
    Interesting you said that.

I was looking at the map in Post 63 (Ben Ian's post above) and seeing how the river curls in and on and around itself, and thought "Wonder what that string would look like if it was all stretched out straight?" and then thought of the disasters in the past which have actually changed the course of the "mighty Mississip". Could be, between the northern snow-floods and this----the Mississippi will never be the same...
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    I second
    Strange times are causing stranger measures...

1Cor 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.
    I Believe in a Just God.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    Ahhh, the Old River Control Structure fighting Mother Nature for years. I have kept an eye on the ORCS for many years as I used to live downstream. Not many people know about it and the huge potential disaster that will be unleashed if it ever lets go. I have actually told people about it and they look at me like I am nutso.

Thank God NOLA spent money removing those nasty ol' statues instead of upgrading their pumps and levee systems.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

This is so horrendous...our hearts all go out to the poor people affected by these continuing disasters! MMJ

Up To 25 Inches Of Rain! – New Orleans Is About To Be Absolutely Devastated By A Storm Of Biblical Proportions
    July 11, 2019 by Michael Snyder

New Orleans is about to be hit by “an extreme rainfall event” that is likely to be the worst disaster that the city has seen since Hurricane Katrina. It is being projected that Tropical Storm Barry could officially become a hurricane before it makes landfall on Saturday, but in this case the wind speed is not really that important. Instead, the massive amount of rain that this immense storm will dump on southern Louisiana is the greatest danger, because the region is potentially facing flooding that is absolutely unprecedented. In fact, one weather expert is even warning that the flooding could be so dramatic that it might actually “change the course of American history”…

Weather expert Eric Holthaus warned that, while the impending disaster would be “an entirely different type” of flooding than 2005’s Katrina, it could be just as harmful – and might even “change the course of American history.”

So why is there so much concern?

Well, the NOAA is now projecting that some portions of southern Louisiana could get up to 25 inches of rain from this storm…

The NOAA Weather Prediction Center (WPC) upped its rainfall forecast for Barry on Thursday afternoon, calling for a pocket of 20-25” amounts near Barry’s track between Thursday and Sunday evening. It’s very unusual for a NOAA/WPC forecast to depict amounts above 20”, which testifies to the center’s high confidence in this extreme rainfall event.

Many parts of New Orleans are already severely flooded, and if that amount of rain actually falls on the city over the next several days the water pumps are going to be completely overwhelmed.

In addition, this is the very first time that New Orleans has ever had to deal with a tropical system when water levels on the Mississippi River are this high.

According to CNN, the river is about 8 to 10 feet higher than it normally would be at this time of the year…

Tropical Storm Barry presents New Orleans with an unprecedented problem, according to the National Weather Service.

The Mississippi River, which is usually at 6 to 8 feet in midsummer in the Big Easy, is now at 16 feet, owing to record flooding that’s taken place this year all along the waterway.

Tropical Storm Barry is going to produce a substantial storm surge, and normally that wouldn’t be too much of a problem, but in this case it could push the water level in the Mississippi River above the levee system that protects New Orleans. The following comes from the Daily Mail…

The center warned New Orleans residents that if the storm becomes a hurricane, it could potentially bring a coastal storm surge into the mouth of the Mississippi River capable of raising the river’s height to 20 feet above sea level – the highest crest in more than 90 years and high enough to overflow some sections of the levee system protecting the city.

We are being told that authorities have “great confidence” in the levee system, but we all remember what happened during Hurricane Katrina.

So basically New Orleans is facing a perfect recipe for flooding, and nobody is quite sure what is going to happen next. Already, a state of emergency has been declared in five parishes…

“Look, there are three ways that Louisiana floods: storm surge, high rivers and rain,” Gov. John Bel Edwards said Thursday. “We’re going to have all three.”

States of emergency have been declared in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, Plaquemines and St. Charles parishes. Jefferson Parish and Plaquemines Parish have instituted mandatory evacuations as a precaution in low-lying areas or those outside major levees.

And at this point, we don’t have to wonder if there will be “catastrophic flooding” in New Orleans, because some parts of the city are already under “3 to 4 feet of water” thanks to all of the rain that has already fallen…

After Wednesday’s onslaught of heavy rain, Valerie Burton said her neighborhood looked like a lake outside her door.

“There was about 3 to 4 feet of water in the street, pouring onto the sidewalks and at my door,” Burton said. “I went to my neighbors to alert them and tell them to move their cars.”

Over the next few days things will get a lot worse for New Orleans.

The only question is how much worse.

And guess what? Once the storm leaves southern Louisiana, it is expected to head north directly through the heartland of America.

Yes, the exact same area that has been relentlessly pounded by storm after storm for months. We were already potentially facing widespread crop failures all across the middle portion of the country, and this massive storm is going to make things much worse.

According to the NOAA, the 12 months ending in June were the wettest 12 months in all of U.S. history…

Rain – and plenty of it – was the big weather story in June, adding to a record-breaking 12 months of precipitation for the contiguous U.S. It’s the third consecutive time in 2019 (April, May and June) the past 12-month precipitation record has hit an all-time high.

And now here in July an absolutely monstrous storm is going to rip through the middle of the country at the worst possible time.

The scenarios that I have been warning about are starting to develop right in front of our eyes, and many Americans are becoming extremely concerned about what the months ahead will bring.

It seems like every week we are talking about another unprecedented disaster. America is being hammered over and over again, and this latest blow to New Orleans looks like it could be extremely severe.

Let us hope that this storm does not turn out to be as bad as the meteorologists are now projecting, because it appears that many Americans are about to have their lives completely turned upside down.

From MMJ, again....not sure why, but this doesn't show what else the link to the Daily Mail shows about this topic, so it's here, if you'd like additional info.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...w-Orleans.html

http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...al-proportions

I sure hope folks evacuated early, otherwise, this could be a real mess. Scenes of Katrina flooding keep coming to mind.
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Latest model shifted slightly to the west. If this holds center of circulation should go directly over my house. Heaviest rain being projected for Houma/Thibodaux & Baton Rouge. NOLA will get dumped on as well. Reports on local boards are that some of the smaller rivers and diversion canals in the low lying areas between BR & Lakes Maurepas/Pontchartrain already up over a foot overnight due to water being pushed out of the lakes.

This is an unprecedented situation. This much floodwater in the Mississippi/Atchafalaya, bonnet carre open on the wet side of a slow moving storm. I really have no idea what to expect.

Deplorable

Link to storm surge map at NOAA. Its format won't embed.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...ation#contents

Deplorable

There is another system in the Atlantic.

It's not forecast to do much for the next 5 days.

Deplorable

The dirty side is about to start dumping rain.

Deplorable

LEFT IMAGE: rainfall totals from 2016 flood
    RIGHT IMAGE: Barry estimated rainfall totals as of 7/11 8am
    Attached Images

Latest model shifted slightly to the west. If this holds center of circulation should go directly over my house. Heaviest rain being projected for Houma/Thibodaux & Baton Rouge. NOLA will get dumped on as well. Reports on local boards are that some of the smaller rivers and diversion canals in the low lying areas between BR & Lakes Maurepas/Pontchartrain already up over a foot overnight due to water being pushed out of the lakes.

This is an unprecedented situation. This much floodwater in the Mississippi/Atchafalaya, bonnet carre open on the wet side of a slow moving storm. I really have no idea what to expect.
    Stay safe, BenIan. This is heatbreaking to hear for everyone in the area.

Um...Folks, Mississippi River already up to 16.57 at Carrollton in NOLA, this is way ahead of schedule. City only protected to 20ft in many places. Not good. Also, Grand Isle is already flooded, not unexpected but I think a bit early, water supposedly came up there Fast.
    Attached Images