Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Prep Genrl Weekly Prep Thread: July 7 ~ 13, 2019
+ Reply to Thread

Weekly Prep Thread: July 7 ~ 13, 2019

Just getting the thread started for the week.... work weekend; gotta get the donuts! Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Visited my mama this last week to celebrate her 90th birthday. she still lives on her own and is doing great - such a blessing!

We're back home now, but I am off until Wednesday (well,except for a short meeting). DH cut me some mimosa branches while we were there - I"m working on drying it and making it into tinctures and cut up for tea. There was so much elder blooming along the roads - just amazing! Still working on business stuff and trying to organize and clean (that's a never-ending job). I also need to start some wild lettuce tincture while it is so abundant around here.

Just getting little things here and there--BOGO on toilet paper, so another 24 giant rolls, some more vitamins, some cake mixes and some canned beans. Auguson Farms is having a sale on their #10 cans--a flat 40% off and $9.99 flat rate shipping. I ordered 10 more cans of things to round out things a bit.

Also got the first of two shingles shots last week and got my eyes checked today.

So glad to see how you are using your new knowledge, Moldy

Added 4 6-pks of Boost and 300 water balloons to the stash. The little grandson got a water balloon sling shot for his birthday, and Papaw fixed it up between two fenceposts; all three of the boys are having a lot of fun playing with it They don't realize that they are learning physics lol!

Plan for the week is to add 4 more cartons of Boost and 300 more water balloons to the stash. Some assorted shampoos and body wash may make it's way into the buggy while I'm wandering around CVS. I'm waiting for the grocery ads to show up in tomorrows mail; still hoping for a decent sale on chicken...

We lucked into a group buy for fresh corn. About 70 ears to a bag. We will be getting one bag. We will share with the kids and try to freeze some.

We also will be buying some beef from a farmer we know. We bought some grass feed beef at the farmers market and it was so good. Grocery store meat is just not that good anymore. I have to avoid most injected meat. We bought a Cargil porkloin one time and my blood pressure would go up for 2 or 3 days after eating it. It did not do that to my husband. I don't know what was in it that affected me that way. I only buy the non injected meat at our store. Tyson bought Smart Chicken. They say they would not change it, but not sure I believe them. But I don't buy regular Tyson chicken. I just can't eat much of it. I was raised on home grown meat or wild harvested. We were blessed to grow up knowing what real food was.

We are done with hay for a few weeks. We just need to spray the pasture again for weeds. Our test on our hay came back with crude protein of 10.5. I know it will sell good this fall. I sell it cheaper if customers want to get it out of the field. Few seem to want to do the hauling in the hot summer.

I made my first attempt at splitting one of my bee hives. Saturday I found the queen in the new hive. Yay me! That puts me back up to three hives after losing one a month ago. It had swarmed and struggled since the swarm. I am learning more all the time.
    Last edited by Digger; 07-09-2019 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Add more.

Worked on the wife's get home bag.

I have a few more items to gather before putting into her car. She has a minimum 5 mile walk to get to my parents house and 10 miles overall to get home. This has prompted us to make a bag so that if anything goes bad at her work, she can still walk home in the Southern Heat which is enough to kill you several months a year.

It's nothing fancy, but it will keep her safe, able to walk and hydrated.

Continuing to work on my sad pathetic garden hoping to have at least a small harvest. Only had two pickings of lettuce, some rhubarb and asparagus for harvest so far. Oh, I also picked and froze a quart and half of red raspberries this week and should be able to pick another quart tomorrow. Wish I had a steam juicer so I could easily juice the berries for jelly, but I don't so will freeze them for now and process in cooler weather.

I have two bags of chicken hind quarters in the refrigerator thawing so I can can them this week. A pint of chicken is a good starting point for numerous dishes so a very useful prep plus inexpensive to purchase. My two bags were free so exceptionally good prep. I cook the chicken with celery and carrots so the broth is quite good. The chicken is deboned then chopped before being jarred and canned. Labor intensive project but I don't put a price on my labor.

I was hoping to pick up a bushel of peaches today so that they would be ready to can by the weekend when I will be off work again - but I'm not all that fond of the variety available, I have the grandsons here (daughter's S/O had chemo yesterday and isn't feeling well), I need to prep for youngest grandson's much delayed birthday party that will be held on Sunday, and, given that the heat index at 10 am was 102, I'm not all that keen on being out and about on the road with the kids if I don't have to be!

I think I'll spend my time rounding up my 'peach' jars - short, square wide mouth pints, checking the lid stash, filling water balloons, and making a gallon or so of homemade sports drink instead If I can't find as many of the jars as I'll need (they tend to not come home when they are taken somewhere ) I'll use wide mouth pints instead.

Speaking of canning jars... Rural King has regular and wide mouth Ball canning jars on sale for $5.99/case until 7/20/19 if anyone in the area of a Rural King needs jars. Regular quarts are $8.29/case; wide mouth quarts $9.39/case, 12 ct regular bands and lids $3.99, wide mouth bands/lids $4.99. And their sale on Farmers Select cane sugar 10# bag for $3.89 continues as well - I will probably add another 100# to the pantry.

And speaking of sugar.... That reminded me of a post from last (?) week about storing sugar in jars. I mentioned it to my best friend as we were on the way to the pool and she reminded me that we had figured out to measure out hot water and add it slowly to the jars, pouring out the sugar/sugar water as it became more liquid-y. I had written on the jar lids how many cups of sugar were in the jars, thank goodness - that made it easier for us to figure out our sugar/water ratio for the syrup level we needed for what we were canning, adding sugar from the non-jar stash to bring it up to the level we needed.

I picked up more beet greens at the Farmer's Market last night - one of my neighbor ladies sells there. I got there right before closing and she tried to send chard home with me as well but I politely declined - am I the only person out there that thinks chard and beet greens taste different?? I must be running a quart low on some vitamin or mineral (likely iron) because I have been craving the greens something awful! Now I just need to figure out what to do with the beets that were on the ends of the greens I bought I guess I'll make refrigerator pickled beets from them and hope Hubby eats them.

I have to take the kids back to town tonight, so will hit CVS then for Boost, shampoos, etc... Hoping to hit Rural King for the sugar on Thursday or Friday; whichever day I don't do RK, I will finish up my shopping at CVS. REALLY hoping to spend Saturday vegging at home all by myself

Take care all; wishing you all a great rest of the week!

I took advantage of the Auguson Farms sale, 2 cans of potato shreds and one can of a blend of vegetables for stew.

Still putting away stuff from last weeks grocery hauls.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    Worked on the wife's get home bag.

I have a few more items to gather before putting into her car. She has a minimum 5 mile walk to get to my parents house and 10 miles overall to get home. This has prompted us to make a bag so that if anything goes bad at her work, she can still walk home in the Southern Heat which is enough to kill you several months a year.

It's nothing fancy, but it will keep her safe, able to walk and hydrated.
    When I was working I always used a wheeled bag for my get home bag, fortunately I never had to use it. I was 40 miles from home from my work and across Lake Pontchartrain. But I was prepared and had a back way to get home that was shorter than taking the Twin Spans, and less exposed. That was 15 years ago.

Judy

Spent the morning spraying weeds. I also got more tinctures started. It's much less expensive to make my own. To give you an idea, 32 oz of tinctures start at $150. I ordered business cards yesterday - so happy I could find what I wanted on Vistaprint! I've been trying to work on home stuff for an hour, then business stuff for an hour on the days I"m home. Still seems like there's not enough hours in the day, though!

When we were visiting, I picked up 40 lbs of peaches at 88c/lb. Here at home, the cheapest I've seen is $2.49/lb. They are ripening on the kitchen table, and I"m overwhelmed by the smell of peaches every time I walk thru there! I wish I could figure out how to add them to my iced tea and make it taste right - just haven't been able to do that! The last 10 days I"ve had off have made me only want to be home more. I miss fixing complete meals for my husband, and cooking from scratch. I think it's all part of finding my balance again after school.

Our effort to prep this week. The weekly harvest.

We broke 1800 peppers this week and 200 tomatoes.

Almost our best ever and we still have over 5 months to go.

At this point we have 3 cases of salsa and 1 1/2 cases of spaghetti sauce put up.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    Our effort to prep this week. The weekly harvest.

We broke 1800 peppers this week and 200 tomatoes.

Almost our best ever and we still have over 5 months to go.

At this point we have 3 cases of salsa and 1 1/2 cases of spaghetti sauce put up.
    Oh, that table laden with fresh homegrown vegetables is a thing of beauty! Congrats on your harvest and I hope it continues. This year our garden is dreadful, but we're holding out hope for the fall garden.

Quote Originally Posted by TxGal View Post
    Oh, that table laden with fresh homegrown vegetables is a thing of beauty! Congrats on your harvest and I hope it continues. This year our garden is dreadful, but we're holding out hope for the fall garden.
    Fresh salsa is on the agenda

Mmmm - Fresh Salsa!!

Moldy, do you have a steam juicer you could run some peaches/skins through? Or maybe heat and run through a jelly bag for juice to add to your tea?

I've had a perfectly lovely and lazy Saturday - I needed it after working 14 hour shifts on Thursday and Friday. I did manage to make a stop each night on my way home from work to add a few more items to the pantry, but it was just a quick in 'n out and back to the van. No kids underfoot today, so I didn't even cook - though I did take a pasta casserole out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to thaw for tomorrow's supper/my work lunches on Mon/Tue. I just did a little laundry (scrubs), sorted out kid clothes in the next size up, inventoried and reoganized 3 pantry shelves (had to add a couple of things to the 'sale watch list'), printed out school supply lists - they start back to school on August 15th!! Crazy!!! Some of the items on the list are on sale at Dollar General right now, but the sale price is the normal sale price I usually see, so I don't think I'll make an extra trip to town. It's too darned hot to want to be out and about unless you have to be right now!

The other threads on food shortages got me worried enough that I bought 6 jars of peanut butter to put in the freezer. I usually don't keep much in the summer because it goes rancid. Also stocked up on pasta and grits.

Quote Originally Posted by Marseydoats View Post
    The other threads on food shortages got me worried enough that I bought 6 jars of peanut butter to put in the freezer. I usually don't keep much in the summer because it goes rancid. Also stocked up on pasta and grits.
    Interesting tidbit... peanut butter goes rancid way too quickly here, even in our cool basement. We just don't use that much these days. BUT... the "all natural" peanut butter sold by Wal-Mart (I think it's their Great Value brand) keeps for years beyond its expiration date without any change in taste. Go figure... (ingredient label: peanuts, salt). Of course, it is packed in a glass jar, which I know makes a huge difference... I used to be able to store Miracle Whip for at least 3 years beyond its expiration date when it was sold in glass jars... now, you're lucky to get 6 months before it starts to get funky.
    Fortunately, Aldi sells the "Burman" brand of "whipped dressing", which is a perfectly acceptable substitute for Miracle Whip, and is about half the cost...

As far as preps go, though... I keep vegetable oil, and have chickens for eggs... and have a recipe for a Miracle Whip "clone".

Summerthyme

Thanks! I haven't seen any PB in glass jars in years, other than the really expensive stuff made with honey that next to impossible to mix up --- which is why I quit buying it. Dh is so used to the Aldi peanut butter that he complained when I bought some Jif, which I got really cheap with coupons. And then I realized that I didn't care for it either. I will look for glass jars the next time I go to WM.