Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CORP/BIZ Utah Indian restaurant blocks service dogs
+ Reply to Thread

Utah Indian restaurant blocks service dogs

Utah restaurant blocks service dogs
    David Aaro
    3-4 minutes

Customers are upset after the owner of a Utah restaurant turned them away for attempting to enter with their service dogs.

Two customers said the owner of Bombay Grill in Ogden refused to serve them if they brought their service dogs inside in separate incidents in a two-week span.

Missy Warwood, whose 5-year-old son, Jefferson, has Down syndrome, tried to eat at Bombay Grill for her birthday in May, according to Fox 13. Jefferson, who can't speak, has a service dog named Sage. She said Sage keeps Jefferson calm.

When they walked into the Utah Restaurant, she said the owner immediately told them to leave and said, "No dogs."

"We tried to educate him, and let him know that we have every right to be here. It's my son's service dog. He needs it," Warwood told Fox 13. "And he said, 'No. It's my opinion. It's my restaurant. And I say no dogs.'"

After they left, the family posted ADA regulations online to the restaurant's Facebook page. The regulations require businesses that serve the public to allow customers to bring service animals into areas where customer are allowed and bans restaurants from discriminating against people with disabilities.

Two weeks later, a group of veterans attempted to eat lunch at Bombay Grill.

One of the veterans, Abraham Swank, said his service dog named Temperance helps with his mobility and anxiety. Swank told Fox 13 he wouldn't be able to leave the house by himself without his dog.

Another veteran from the group, D Berard, said her dog, Xena, helps with her medical issues and PTSD.

"I also have severe hearing loss," Berard said. "If there's something behind me that I'm unaware of, she'd make me aware of it."

They tried to enter Bombay Grill but were turned away just like the Harwood family.

Bombay Grill told Fox 13 it doesn't allow dogs because of a previous incident involving a canine, with the owner calling the restaurant "his responsibility."

When asked about the ADA laws, the owner said he has read the laws but stands by his policy of no dogs inside.

"I want them to understand, it's not just the act of rejecting an animal," Berard told Fox 13. "They are also rejecting a person, an individual, who has a disability that they are already living with every single day."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/utah-rest...s-service-dogs

Good.

I don't have a problem with this. The consumer can go elsewhere. I believe that business owners have a right to refuse service to anyone, regardless of reason. The market will sort it out.
    Blue 5

Wherever you are, wherever God takes you, fly high.
    -Edward Ormondroyd

His business, his bottom line.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

While supportive of private property rights, I'm realistic about established rules and regulations. In theory, the business owner should be correct. Reality tells me he won't be a business owner much longer.

These types of individual "Don Quixote" impersonations are self-limiting this day and age...
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

I'm torn. While far too many people have "fake" service dogs, the fact is that legitimate service dogs (those trained for the purpose) need to be allowed to accompany their owners anywhere they go.

This restaurant owner is going to get his ass handed to him.

They don't like menu items wandering around.

I think that would be Koreans...

No law = No law.

We are WROL. No appeals...
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Should have claimed the dog was gay and sued the feck outta them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    His business, his bottom line.
    Agree, and I hope that figure ends up red.
    Dot, not feather needs to do better at assimilating.
    FOAD, you bastards.

Most likely the Indian restaurant is actually a Pakistani restaurant

Down Syndrome needs service dogs?

Must be a - very - rare case of downs.

It is fashionable now to have service dogs - IMO 90% of the are no more than companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Coulter View Post

It is fashionable now to have service dogs - IMO 90% of the are no more than companions.
    Yup. I witness a couple examples in DW's extended family. I think they're too cheap to kennel their pets and don't have any friends to watch after them when they travel... Of course each situation is different.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Quote Originally Posted by Marthanoir View Post
    Most likely the Indian restaurant is actually a Pakistani restaurant
    Yep, the ones here are exactly that, they're run by muslims. But if they were to bill themselves as muslim or pakistani they'd be run out of town and in a heartbeat. The foods they eat are very similar, lots of curries, etc., with the exception that muslims hate dogs. Most of these places are laundering money and running weapons through them as well.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

When in Rome, ...

Straight from the ADA Ö

Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.

The ADA falls under the Civil Rights Division and federal law Ö

The ADA requires State and local government agencies, businesses, and non-profit organizations (covered entities) that provide goods or services to the public to make "reasonable modifications" in their policies, practices, or procedures when necessary to accommodate people with disabilities. The service animal rules fall under this general principle. Accordingly, entities that have a "no pets" policy generally must modify the policy to allow service animals into their facilities. This publication provides guidance on the ADA's service animal provisions and should be read in conjunction with the publication ADA Revised Requirements: Service Animals.
    So Mr. Indian Restauranteur if I as a property owner have to make "reasonable modifications" to my "no pet" rule for my rentals when it comes to service animals Ö and by law a service animal is a DOG Ö then so do you. The difference is that I can require an additional deposit for a dog (and if there is no damage then tenant gets that money back). You can evict a customer if their service animal is disruptive, can keep all customers that have a service animal to a different room or section, can say I already have x number of service animals on site so you have to wait until one of them leaves (for fire and safety reasons of course), etc. You have multiple ways you can deal with this and still conform to the ADA, I as a rental property owner do not. So climb down off of your holier-than-thou opinion and deal with it.

Side note: People who willfully break a law without doing anything to first change it drive me crazy because they're just plain lazy.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isnít it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?Ē - Kelvin R. Throop III

I would say that fewer than 25% of the so-called service animals are actually service animals. On ebay (or other places) you can get vests or whatever to say anything you want for your animal.
    And how many of those people will die if they are without their animal for an hour?
    Talk about snowflakes.

Prediction - he will lose his restaurant in a lawsuit. The parents who posted the law to his facebook page were being kind to warn him.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

We Kafir can't tell muzloids anything. They're above us and our petty laws.

The ADA has been often misused but a private business such as a restaurant has no duty to offer public accommodations of any sort. If they are receiving federal funds of some kind then they can be compelled to obey such laws. That being said the owner is being a real ass unless he is allergic or something and I hope that his customers make such a big stink about his stance that he will soon learn the consequences to his bottom line for making such a choice.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

I see i misunderstood,i was thinking feather not dot.

a private business such as a restaurant has no duty to offer public accommodations of any sort. If they are receiving federal funds of some kind then they can be compelled to obey such laws.

So the same thing can be said for a baker refusing to bake a homosexual/tranny-themed cake, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    The ADA has been often misused but a private business such as a restaurant has no duty to offer public accommodations of any sort. If they are receiving federal funds of some kind then they can be compelled to obey such laws. That being said the owner is being a real ass unless he is allergic or something and I hope that his customers make such a big stink about his stance that he will soon learn the consequences to his bottom line for making such a choice.
    Yes, it is both misused and misunderstood but what a lot of people don't understand on both sides is that reasonable accommodations is a legal requirement.

For a property owner like me that rents places what that means is that if a tenant says they want ramp … I am not required to build them a ramp but I MUST allow them to construct a ramp so long as when they move the property can be returned to its original state. They CANNOT COMPELL me to widen door frames, lower cabinets, install special fixtures. However, I must allow them to change the fixtures so long as it is done in such a way that it does not damage the property and can be removed with the property being returned to its original state when they evacuate. Bathroom fixtures, such as for the shower like a grab rod, cannot be permanent affixed.

The other thing the ADA does is that I cannot deny an applicant based on a disability … unless it is a disability to pay … and even then if they have the income and a payee that means I cannot deny their application unless I have a better applicant.

A restaurant owner cannot deny a service dog entrance into their establishment, but he can force the service dog's owner to be accommodating for reasons of health and fire safety … as in only seats in a particular area of the restaurant are ADA compliant. It is a similar issue to the requirement to have disabled parking spots and their location for every business/building.

I have fought this battle a couple of times over the last 20 years with tenants that tried to compel us by law to build them ramps, pay for the installation of special fixtures/knobs, pay for the fencing of the yard for their service dog, etc. There are things we have to allow them to do - so long as they don't materially change the property and can be uninstalled when they leave … but we don't have to pay for them or do the work for free. We can also mandate that any changes have to be done by a professionally licensed individual. On the flip side we have a couple of tenants that we've been doing business with for over 20 years now and we've done things for them just because we could. One man raised his children and lost his wife in the apartment he still lives in. But he is frail now so we went in and fixed up the apartment for him just because we could … no compelling on his part and he didn't even ask us to. His daughter busted down in tears when she found out because they had been thinking they'd have to force him into a nursing home.

Bottom line is, there are some things you have to do and as a business owner you just have to accept it and give in with grace. But there are also things you don't have to do that you do anyway for your customer base. This guy has to make reasonable accommodations and he'd best give in with grace or he isn't going to have a customer base.
    Find my free fiction stories here.

"Isnít it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?Ē - Kelvin R. Throop III

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    a private business such as a restaurant has no duty to offer public accommodations of any sort. If they are receiving federal funds of some kind then they can be compelled to obey such laws.

So the same thing can be said for a baker refusing to bake a homosexual/tranny-themed cake, right?

I'm not aware of any bakery or photographer that receives federal funding or tax benefits. I didn't say I agreed with the law but that is what they use to make businesses, schools and churches toe the line in the past.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

I have no dog in that fight.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."