Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

LEGAL Supreme Court rejects atheists' attempt to scrub 'In God We Trust' off US currency
+ Reply to Thread

14 Supreme Court rejects atheists' attempt to scrub 'In God We Trust' off US currency

Supreme Court rejects atheists' attempt to scrub 'In God We Trust' off US currency
    Caleb Parke
    2-2 minutes

Show me the motto.

The Supreme Court rejected an atheist case Monday to remove "In God We Trust," the national motto, from all coins and currency from the Department of Treasury.

Michael Newdow, the same activist attorney who tried to remove "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, lost his case, arguing Congress' mandate to inscribe "In God We Trust" on currency was a government endorsement of religion and a violation of the First Amendment.

Newdow argued in his petition to the Supreme Court that because his clients are all atheist individuals or atheist groups, the government violated their "sincere religious belief" that there is no God and turned them into "political outsiders" by placing the phrase "In God We Trust" on their money.

The justices rejected his petition without comment.

The phrase was first put on an American coin in 1864, due to "increased religious sentiment." It was added to both coins and paper bills in 1955.

Newdow also tried to silence prayer and any religious references at the inaugurations of President George W. Bush and President Barack Obama.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sup...y-atheists-god

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Newdow argued in his petition to the Supreme Court that because his clients are all atheist individuals or atheist groups, the government violated their "sincere religious belief" that there is no God and turned them into "political outsiders" by placing the phrase "In God We Trust" on their money.
    Atheists by definition don't have religious beliefs, sincere or otherwise.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

That's always been YOUR personal opinion. Evidently, it's not shared by your cohorts.

As far as I know, while "In God We Trust" has been on coins for a very long time, the motto first appeared on currency only in 1957. That year was the last silver certificate, so I figure the government had to appeal to a higher authority because after silver certificates the only thing backing US currency was pretty much raw faith.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    I figure the government had to appeal to a higher authority because after silver certificates the only thing backing US currency was pretty much raw faith.
    They weren't appealing to a higher authority; they were announcing that we have a Judeo-Christian heritage. Perfectly reasonable thing to put on the currency.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    They weren't appealing to a higher authority; they were announcing that we have a Judeo-Christian heritage. Perfectly reasonable thing to put on the currency.
    I think you may have missed my suggestion that the only thing now distinguishing US currency from Monopoly money is the federal government's "because we say so!" Name whatever commodity you like, it doesn't back US currency anymore, since the armed might of the federal government isn't quite a commodity. If someone doesn't believe in coincidences (I do happen to believe that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar), then it wasn't a coincidence that the very last commodity-backed currency was withdrawn at the same time "In God We Trust" started appearing on currency. My point was actually that the motto began appearing on currency easily within the lifetimes of a lot of the forum's members, so it's not entirely like "it's always been there" and now some asswipes are trying to change a long-standing tradition of the country.

Personally, I’m offended that our Lord is mentioned on filthy mammon. I consider it blasphemy.

"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

While some might consider present-day US currency to be a divine instrument of God, I'm not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

While some might consider present-day US currency to be a divine instrument of God, I'm not one of them.
    Try purchasing a steak, gas, guns, bullets, etc., without currency. I happen to enjoy our US currency, I mean what would the TB fundraiser be without US currency? Filthy mammon that has God's name on it?
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

In God We Trust (for our provision). This paper is just a medium of exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Personally, Iím offended that our Lord is mentioned on filthy mammon. I consider it blasphemy.
    Dennis,

There are some that would gladly accept your currency so you are not offended by the currency....

Couldn't help myself....

Texican....

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    Try purchasing a steak, gas, guns, bullets, etc., without currency. I happen to enjoy our US currency, I mean what would the TB fundraiser be without US currency? Filthy mammon that has God's name on it?
    I didn't say currency doesn't have a place. I quoted the Bible (or at least a version of it) where Christ himself responded in a situation involving money. I think it's important to understand that money is not interchangeable with divinity, although I imagine some folks in the federal government and in the Federal Reserve wouldn't mind if people do. In the case of this thread subject, adding "In God We Trust" doesn't make US currency itself godly.