Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ENVR Los Angeles, CA - Tar, Natural Gas Rises Up Onto Streets Near La Brea Tar Pits
+ Reply to Thread

Los Angeles, CA - Tar, Natural Gas Rises Up Onto Streets Near La Brea Tar Pits

Fair Use Cited
    -----------------
    Tar, Natural Gas Rises Up Onto Streets Near La Brea Tar Pits

June 8, 2019 at 10:49 am

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) A large puddle of tar encroached on the sidewalk and natural gas appeared to rise from the street of the Miracle Mile in Los Angeles Friday.

CBSLAs Brittany Hopper was standing near the puddle located across the street from The La Brea Tar Pits and Museum, a national natural landmark where tar has been seeping up from the ground for tens of thousands of years.

When CBSLA reached out to the Los Angeles Police Department, they said they were unaware of the situation.

The Page Museum, who reportedly runs the tar pits, has not been in contact regarding the situation.

As of Saturday morning, it was unclear if and when crews would begin to stop the tar from seeping out further.

And on Saturday, more seepage. Enough to draw the interests of tourists and residents alike.

CBS2s Jake Reiner said tourists and residents alike have been coming to the area marveling at the bubbling tar.

This is the worst Ive seen, she said Saturday.

But the tourists like Rick Stahl from the Pacific Northwest had one more story to tell when he gets back home.

Were from Seattle, Stahl said, and you dont see this oozing out of the streets. Its amazing.

That sentiment was echoed by tourist Don Van Cleave from Nashville.

Reiner asked him if he thought hed be smelling tar this day?

Mission accomplished. I can check that off my list as a tourist of LA.

Saturday evening, locals told KCAL9s Jeff Nguyen that they have become quite accustomed to seeing tar oozing up through the sidewalks just not this much of it.

Ive lived here for about 20 years, said Andrea Ross-Greene, and this is the worst its ever been.

Miracle Mile resident Matthew Kogan concurred.

You see a little bit of tar oozing up between the pavement, Kogan says, all over the neighborhood. Thats not unusual but this seems to be flow tar. Ive never seen this before.

Not to mention the constant hissing sound coming from the ground its methane.
    I can smell it. I thought a car broke its oil pan out here, says Patrick Myer.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...brea-tar-pits/
    Attached Images
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This sounds like the start of one of those earthquake movies like 10.0. If I remember correctly, that was one of the first signs.

Thing are building up to the BIG ONE!

.... but Dutchsinse is an idiot!? Time will tell...

The name has already gone down in history -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancholabrean

The Rancholabrean North American Land Mammal Age on the geologic timescale is the North American faunal stage according to the North American Land Mammal Ages chronology (NALMA), typically set from less than 240,000 years to 11,000 years BP, a period of 0.229 million years.[1] Named after the famed Rancho La Brea fossil site (more commonly known as the La Brea tar pits) in Los Angeles, California,[2] the Rancholabrean is characterized by the presence of the genus Bison in a Pleistocene context, often in association with other extinct Pleistocene forms such as Mammuthus.[2][3] The age is usually considered to overlap the Middle Pleistocene and Late Pleistocene epochs. The Rancholabrean is preceded by the Irvingtonian NALMA stage.
    /snip/
    The wonder of our time isnt how angry we are at politics and politicians; its how little weve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

How long until it's all on fire?
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

Without even considering the issue of seismic activity, I wonder about the impact of the oil and methane gas getting into underground sewer lines, electrical and cable communication pipelines?

Once the correct air/methane concentration is reached, the whole underground network can go kablooey and the oil will feed the resultant fires.

Apparently nobody considered the impact of urbanizing the area around a known active underground tar and gas field?
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I used to take bus loads of tourists to see the pit and museum. All around the area you can see tar coming up between the cracks in the sidewalks. This is really spooky though for that much to rise to the surface.
    Guns, Grub, and God!

All those wells capped in the 70's, pressure builds up, fluids flow.
    Getting everything lubed up for the big Rumble......

Yep, I have family and friends out there.
    No place is really safe, however California is just one big risk.

I wonder how many people have ruined carpets because of this?
    Strange times are causing stranger measures...

1Cor 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.
    I Believe in a Just God.

The Tar Pits have been bubbling up for thousands of years - have nothing to do with pressure from wells.
    True North Strong and Free

Quote Originally Posted by JoanD777 View Post
    This sounds like the start of one of those earthquake movies like 10.0. If I remember correctly, that was one of the first signs.
    It's going to blow!! Volcano 1997 Run time 2:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0k2oB61h0

Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpine Savage View Post

This is what came to mind for me, as well!
    Psalm 116
    1 I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.
    2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

One would wonder if the substrata is rising and/or if lava is pushing up ready for a big blowout and/or earthquake....

Time will tell....

Those in kaliland should be concerned....

Texican....

Those in kakaland don't have the sense to be concerned.
    The wonder of our time isnt how angry we are at politics and politicians; its how little weve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    If that happens, they will blame it on Trump !!
    "No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson "

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    Apparently nobody considered the impact of urbanizing the area around a known active underground tar and gas field?
    There you go again, trying to ruin the real estate market with reality-based concerns. it wasn't a problem 500,00 years ago, it wasn't a problem in the 1800's, and it isn't a problem today. You're just trying to drive prices down so you can make a late buy-in. We're on to you.

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Get your FREE copy of the 3rd edition here:NNPG Download Site

Reddit AustereMedicine/

I once had a girlfriend who moved to California and lived there 20 plus years. I told her i was worried about earthquakes there. She laughed and said, "I couldn't think of a better way to go!" I thought it was very ignorant of her to think that way and not be prepared. That same girl moved back here and when i finally called her she yelled at me for a half hour becuz i am hard to reach and she refuses to leave messages. I think she became a liberal from living out there. After we hung up i was actually sick to my stomach and i never called her again.

My Dad remembered the Big Long Beach Quake of the 1930s, he was a child and he was dragged around the yard by the force of the quake; also they would have lost nearly every elementary aged and high school aged child in Long Beach (near Los Angeles) if it had been during a weekday because almost all the school had collapsed.

Because of that, for about 30 years my Dad said the building codes were somewhat sane and somewhat enforced, about the time we left the area (when I was nine so about 1965) my Dad said "they are starting to forget and will just build anywhere, this is going to bite them someday."

The Northridge quake was scary but over-all not nearly the damage was done that could have happened; now people are probably building just anywhere again.

As for La Brea, it was settled and became an urban area long before the dangers were realized and once that happens it can be nearly impossible to get people to move, at least not without a nearly total wipeout in an actual disaster and even then much time they just come back and rebuild.

I did notice that "the signs" people are reporting would suggest any number of types of geological activity heating up from a hot spring about to form in the area to either a large quake or even volcanic fissure opening up.

A Spring could be captured and controlled to a limited degree (Roman Baths anyone?) but there is simply no stopping either a quake or a small volcano if one decides to break to the surface.

Hopefully, that last one isn't happening, but it isn't impossible just unlikely; we shall see...
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Its a damn good thing too!
    "Man is not to be blamed for sinning. After all, he faces great temptations and is extremely vulnerable. What he is blamed for is not doing Teshuvah (repenting) because he can do that at any time." Rav Simcha Bunim of P'shischa

Quote Originally Posted by StarryEyedLad View Post
    Same thing here. I just re-watched that movie a couple weeks ago.......

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

The name has already gone down in history -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancholabrean

The Rancholabrean North American Land Mammal Age on the geologic timescale is the North American faunal stage according to the North American Land Mammal Ages chronology (NALMA), typically set from less than 240,000 years to 11,000 years BP, a period of 0.229 million years.[1] Named after the famed Rancho La Brea fossil site (more commonly known as the La Brea tar pits) in Los Angeles, California,[2] the Rancholabrean is characterized by the presence of the genus Bison in a Pleistocene context, often in association with other extinct Pleistocene forms such as Mammuthus.[2][3] The age is usually considered to overlap the Middle Pleistocene and Late Pleistocene epochs. The Rancholabrean is preceded by the Irvingtonian NALMA stage.
    /snip/
    what he said..???????

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpine Savage View Post

Quote Originally Posted by StarryEyedLad View Post
    Also the first thing I thought of too. Where's Tommy Lee Jones when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurane View Post
    The Tar Pits have been bubbling up for thousands of years - have nothing to do with pressure from wells.
    so
    Is still good to go then, right?
    Strange times are causing stranger measures...

1Cor 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.
    I Believe in a Just God.

Thanks for posting this thread. Literally have not heard anything on these for decades.
    A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. - Proverbs 15:1

I always miss the good stuff.

Spent 8 months living in a suite overlooking the intersection that scene was filmed at.

Only saw hookers & regular pedestrians.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Normallguy View Post
    All those wells capped in the 70's, pressure builds up, fluids flow.
    Actually, most places there was once significant oil well production long-term reduced the pressure. I seriously doubt subsurface pressure there is going to be near (let alone over) what it was pre-oil well days due to that oil drilling. Now, re plate movement is leading to likely major quake, sure, that's easy to believe.
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Fascinating. Here's a video, RT 2:16
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AoygZa3d_s

Quote Originally Posted by blackjeep View Post
    Fascinating. Here's a video, RT 2:16
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AoygZa3d_s
    That's a lot of tar. Much more than I suspected from reading a few articles about it. You can see in the vid that they're cleaning it up and pumping it up into tanks to remove it, too. Wonder how much has actually oozed recently?