Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GUNS/RLTD Need help - reliability of .22 pistols
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yet another good reason to only have revolvers.

This is what my husband would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Turret Buster View Post
    I'm not an expert by any means, but with shooting less than 200 rounds I can't understand why being dirty would be a problem. I know .22 is notoriously dirty, but still.
    It's nowhere near as bad as it use to be, but new firearms do have some extra lube in them. I'm sure it's to prevent rust etc, as it sits waiting on a customer. So my rule of thumb is clean 'em when you get 'em home. As you noted .22 are "notoriously dirty" which in turn, with extra lube from the factory, builds up quick.

Anyway just replying back to you. Mephib seems to have done that already. And it appears to me he has it well in hand too. Other trading out some manufactures of bullets, sending it back is about his only option. Things are massed produced, and some bad ones slip though, it's the way it is.
    "Wise Men Still Seek Him"-bumper sticker

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Personally, I have never heard of a Ruger firearm, across all their offerings, that wasn't very reliable.

I think mephib has a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkielady View Post

I used to not care for them as a self-defense sidearm, but over the past 5-6 years have evolved into liking them BETTER than semi-autos. One reason in particular is that they don't leave brass behind, with your fingerprints or DNA on the cases. That could save one's ass under "Zimmerman" circumstances.

Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by yorkielady View Post

I have had the same issue with 22 revolvers. 22 ammo is rim fired and is not always the best ammo to use when things are critical. Center fire is usually better. This is why there is a .25 caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    I used to not care for them as a self-defense sidearm, but over the past 5-6 years have evolved into liking them BETTER than semi-autos. One reason in particular is that they don't leave brass behind, with your fingerprints or DNA on the cases. That could save one's ass under "Zimmerman" circumstances.

Just sayin....
    The revolver is dead fast more reliable and easy to use in the short term. A semi - auto takes more effort to keep it at 100%. Many people just won't do it.

This is why there is a .25 caliber.

No, that's why there are .32s.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

No. .38s

Personally, I have never heard of a Ruger firearm, across all their offerings, that wasn't very reliable.

I think mephib has a lemon.
    I had one! It was a 10/22 that had fte/ftf all the time. Sent it back to Ruger and then came back, same thing again. After it going back and forth on their dime for about 6 weeks, they offered me my choice of another 10/22. Any model. I chose a bull barrel, stainless steel. They had a gunsmith assemble it for me over a weekend and I got it back on a Tuesday afternoon. NO plastic parts in it. All metal and that thing is a tack driver. No ftf or fte ever with it. It's my baby. But that first one was destined for the melting pot. Piece of junk. Even a lousy trigger. Ruger agreed with me and fixed the issue. 99% of what Ruger makes and sells are out of the box perfect but not all of them. Ruger WILL work with you. We are even on a first name basis with the customer service guys AND their manager.....lol. Really nice people who try really, really hard to make you happy. And they sure made me happy. I have 3 Ruger guns now and they all work great. My SP101 in .357 mag had a scratchy trigger. THEY fixed it. Turn around in just a little over a week. That pistol rocks now. No creep or crunch.

Call Ruger. They will make you happy. It's what they do.....

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

No. .38s
    No, .357s.... lol. I love mine.....and I am a GIRL.....

I had a Taurus .22 revolver a few years ago. I could shoot 20 gauge shells off the top of our target rack with it. But, I hated reloading it cause I have bad hands and my fingers can't grip small stuff reliably. Now those .357 are no problem at all and even with my bad hands I still can shoot that gun well. At least now that I had Ruger put different grips on it. Those darned wood grips were just nasty. Everytime I shot off a round it would kick back and bite me cause the grip was so small. Bigger grip and no more biting. You should have to have a bloody hand after you target shoot your revolver.

Hogue grips were just the ticket and Ruger did it for me at ZERO cost. ZERO cost. Even paid for the shipping back and forth but that was also when they did the trigger work.....

But, all that said, why would anyone use a .22 for selfdefense when there are other options?

Heh.

SP-101. With the Hogue grip though.

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    The revolver is dead fast more reliable and easy to use in the short term. A semi - auto takes more effort to keep it at 100%. Many people just won't do it.
    That's just propaganda that "Big Revolver" spread to keep the newer gun lobby down.....JK

Revolvers are prone to MORE problems (mainly timing issues) when compared to semis, especially later in life. This becomes apparent with actual training and shooting. Revolvers have benefited from better metallurgy, but issues tend to be much more severe.

Revolvers are slower to load and have a very low capacity, usually 5-6.
    But, I only need one shot per bad guy with muh .357/.44/.500.......
    Yeah Barney Fife, but there are 4 guys, and in real world shootings, by well trained individuals, roughly half of shots are either not incapacitating or miss altogether.

I advocate for Glocks.
    They just work........
    But they're ugly........
    But they work........
    But......
    LGS had used Gen 3 19's and 26's, that had been gone over by a Glock armorer, for $329.

You Won’t Believe How Much Abuse This Glock 17 Has Taken-Chuck Taylor
    (Spoiler: 365,000 rounds)
    https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-torture-test/

If you are really worried about leaving brass, use gloves when you load carry mags (you do have separate carry and training mags, right?).
    Never touch the ammo....ditch the gun after the shooting....problem solved.
    Most CSI on brass and ammo is bullet match, residue on the shooters hand, occasional prints (though I gather that most DNA/ prints don't survive the friction of being chambered and heat from a controlled explosion).

I'd be wayyyyy more worried about Big Brother video, tracking and facial identification. Maybe cell phone tracking putting you at the scene, if you carry one.

Heh.

SP-101. With the Hogue grip though.
    I just said that!

Quote Originally Posted by ArisenCarcass View Post
    That's just propaganda that "Big Revolver" spread to keep the newer gun lobby down.....JK

Revolvers are prone to MORE problems (mainly timing issues) when compared to semis, especially later in life. This becomes apparent with actual training and shooting. Revolvers have benefited from better metallurgy, but issues tend to be much more severe.

Revolvers are slower to load and have a very low capacity, usually 5-6.
    But, I only need one shot per bad guy with muh .357/.44/.500.......
    Yeah Barney Fife, but there are 4 guys, and in real world shootings, by well trained individuals, roughly half of shots are either not incapacitating or miss altogether.

I advocate for Glocks.
    They just work........
    But they're ugly........
    But they work........
    But......
    LGS had used Gen 3 19's and 26's, that had been gone over by a Glock armorer, for $329.

You Won’t Believe How Much Abuse This Glock 17 Has Taken-Chuck Taylor
    (Spoiler: 365,000 rounds)
    https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-torture-test/

If you are really worried about leaving brass, use gloves when you load carry mags (you do have separate carry and training mags, right?).
    Never touch the ammo....ditch the gun after the shooting....problem solved.
    Most CSI on brass and ammo is bullet match, residue on the shooters hand, occasional prints (though I gather that most DNA/ prints don't survive the friction of being chambered and heat from a controlled explosion).

I'd be wayyyyy more worried about Big Brother video, tracking and facial identification. Maybe cell phone tracking putting you at the scene, if you carry one.
    You know what? I have a Beretta .40 which is my backup gun when out in the woods. My .357 is the knockdown gun tho. Yeah, I can carry more mags for it which equals more weight to have to carry around. Hit what you shoot at and be accurate. Then you don't need all those extra mags.

You know what else? My .SP101 .357 is easier to shoot than the .40 ! And I enjoy shooting it a lot more.

I also have a Beretta in .32 auto which I can put in my purse. BUT, I will walk by that option to go to the Ruger .357 every time. DH likes to stick the .32 in his pocket sometimes but I seldom do now that I have the .357. That little .32 kicks like a mule and is too small in my mind. Still I won't get rid of it cause it's a good little gun. It's my baby beretta........lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    Yeah, I can carry more mags for it which equals more weight to have to carry around. Hit what you shoot at and be accurate. Then you don't need all those extra mags. .
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Were it that easy, I could have saved a lot of back stress in the 'stan.
    If accuracy is your concern, get a 9mm. If you "Hit what you shoot at and be accurate. Then you don't need all" that extra caliber and recoil....

Even with just the one mag usually a double-stack semi will have 2-3 times the ammo vs a revolver. I'd still rather carry a reload because, as anyone who has ever been on a two-way range will tell you, it is better to have too much ammo than not enough, and a 9mm hit is better than a higher caliber miss.
    Invest in decent HP ammo and range time and all is well.

But to each his own.
    You can lead a Fudd to water........

Rugers are usually very reliable but humans make the parts and put them together and mistakes are bound to happen somewhere along the line every now and again.

Usually QC catches it before it goes out the door with company like Ruger, but even QC folks have bad days.

Remember that rimfires need to have the rim accommodated while feeding (getting up behind the extractor and onto the bolt face) but needs to be handled with care seeing as though that is where the primer is.

The barrel will have a cut to move the extractor out of the way while chambered and have it handy for when blowback occurs and the case needs ejecting. Timing here (dictated by angles) is critical.

Any sharp spots on the ramp, around the barrel mouth, and rough spots inside the chamber, an incorrect cut in the barrel for the extractor (which can affect extraction as well) - all of these can combine to cause feeding problems.

Add some imprecise cuts on the extractor itself and the round can have problems both going in and while extracting.

Problems coming and going.

The Ruger armorers or gunsmith will probably have seen this problem before and the fix by them should be fast.

Best of luck.

Glocks are the single most unsafe handgun ever created.

Glocks are the single most unsafe handgun ever created.
    I respectfully disagree.

So do 70% of LEOs, most of SOCOM and all of these militaries:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock#Users

The unsafe part is between the user's ears.....
    A Glock is a tool, just like any other firearm.
    They are all unsafe in the hands of idiots and the uninformed.

The vast majority of ND incidents are with Glocks. Whether you or anyone else agrees or disagrees is immaterial.

It is what it is.

So you're saying that when a booger hook touches the bang switch it fires........
    Sounds like it's working to me.

Clear the gun before disassembly (this is "the Big One").
    Don't use the Serpa abominations (there were problems with ND's with these, even with M9's).
    Remember the 4 rules of gun safety.
    Don't be stupid.
    All will be well.

Most reported ND's are by cops, who by and large, carry Glocks. The statistics will likely show that the most carried weapon in LE will have the most ND's. They will also show that the rate of ND's is very low when controlled for number of carriers, hours carried, etc.

Negligent Discharges are due to, well, negligence.
    That is a software problem, not a hardware issue.
    No amount of safeties will gunproof an idiot. JMHO.

That's the same tired excuse always used. There are many reasons for an ND. Sure pure negligence is certainly one. But thee are many others. It's so easy to blame piss poor design on the user community.

That's a total cop-out. And note that the ND incidents of which I spoke above are nearly universally "owned" by gun-using "professionals", such as law enforcement and military.

That's the same tired excuse always used. There are many reasons for an ND. Sure pure negligence is certainly one. But there[sic] are many others. It's so easy to blame piss poor design on the user community.

That's a total cop-out. And note that the ND incidents of which I spoke above are nearly universally "owned" by gun-using "professionals", such as law enforcement and military.
    I'm also saying that using the statistically unverified (but, admittedly, probably true) statement that Glocks have more NDs is also a cop-out.
    If all LEOs were issued Blunderbusses, most ND's would be with guns of that type.
    We all know that not all "professionals" are professional, and that familiarity breeds contempt.
    I was also pointing out that the statistics themselves are skewed due to the sample.

ND's are based on negligence. I gave examples of how to be safer with all handguns.

Another is: clear your holster of obstacles.
    A fast draw may save your life, but I can find no case where a fast re-holster saved a life.

I like the design, so much so that I replaced most of my other guns with Glocks.
    Glocks are simple with only 34 parts (KISS principle applies) leading to fewer failure points and increased reliability.
    I use them to compete, to carry, and to plink.
    I am safe and have never had a ND with any firearm.
    YMMV.

Defense of self is among the highest natural rights.
    I think that Glocks are some of the better tools in that endeavor.
    That said, I honestly don't care what you carry.
    This is a free country and there are many other good modern designs (the newer Walthers, M&P's, the TP9SF, among others) and older designs.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I do not care for Glocks. I have shot several of them that belonged to other people and each of those functioned well and were all at least fairly accurate. I do not and will not own a Glock just because I don't want one.
    That said ArisenCarcass is totally correct. Glocks have the same safety as every double-action revolver. Look at all the years cops carried model 10's. Stupid people get "Glock leg" through no fault of the gun.
    When I taught concealed carry classes. I told every student to carry their pistol unloaded for the first week at least. This is because people get bored so they take out their pistol and play with it. In the first week most people keep "adjusting" their pistol in the holster. They just want to keep touching their gun. That is why I told them to keep it unloaded for that first week. I did not want one of my students to shoot themselves or someone else because of a ND.

Glocks have the same safety as every double-action revolver.

Absolutely FALSE. Ridiculously, demonstrably false. (The DAO Glocks do, but the SA/DA ones do NOT.)

Please don't spread blatant misinformation.

Glocks have the same safety as every double-action revolver.

Absolutely FALSE. Ridiculously, demonstrably false. (The DAO Glocks do, but the SA/DA ones do NOT.)

Please don't spread blatant misinformation.
    There are no "DAO Glocks" nor "SA/DA Glocks."
    Standard Glocks have a consistent trigger pull at a weight decided by the connector bar.
    NYC wanted their police to have a heavier trigger pull for safety.....leading to reduced accuracy and harm to innocents.

My comp guns (G34/G35/G17L) came with 3.5# connectors.
    A standard Glock comes with a 5.5# connector for roughly a 6# pull.
    The NY1 trigger increased that to roughly 8#.
    The NY2 trigger increased again to around 12#.

Both "NY triggers" are crap, with a variable pull weight (due to extra springs) and too heavy trigger.

You are correct.

https://glock.pro/glock-pistols/2219...action-no.html

However, I stand by my statements other than that one.

Excellent discussion. And apologies in advance for this if considered a thread drift, but are there any .22 pistols that are known for reliability? (I get it that .22 pistols are notoriously less reliable for all the reasons given above. I'm just wondering if you were forced to buy just one, other than a target pistol what would it be?) Thx
    Why we should never "pray" for healing: www.healingisgodsjustice.org

The overriding question to me is, WHY a .22? Why not something larger?

Back to the topic at hand. The SR-22 is a great little pistol. The one I have eats anything reliably, even sub-sonic. Contact Ruger, their customer service is excellent.

I'm hoping the Keltec CP33 ends up being decent.
    33-50 rounds in a .22lr pistol (and you know they'll make a compatible rifle)....

It reminds me of the Goncz GA from Total Recall (1990).

Top pistol on this page:
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Total_Recall_(1990)

I don't tend to do .22lr in handguns, though I have been trying to find an ISSC M22 fullsize.

DW has a Ruger SR22 that she and the kids like. It is reliable, but a bit on the small side. Perfect for smaller handed shooters.
    We have several .22lr rifles and conversions, however.

I am a firm believer that the guns you carry and train with should be as identical as possible to utilize muscle memory to the fullest extent.
    When life happens, you won't rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.
    Hence my want of a dedicated .22lr trainer in "Glock." Like the M22, or an advantage Arms or Tac Sol upper on a donor frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    No, .357s.... lol. I love mine.....and I am a GIRL.....

I had a Taurus .22 revolver a few years ago. I could shoot 20 gauge shells off the top of our target rack with it. But, I hated reloading it cause I have bad hands and my fingers can't grip small stuff reliably. Now those .357 are no problem at all and even with my bad hands I still can shoot that gun well. At least now that I had Ruger put different grips on it. Those darned wood grips were just nasty. Everytime I shot off a round it would kick back and bite me cause the grip was so small. Bigger grip and no more biting. You should have to have a bloody hand after you target shoot your revolver.

Hogue grips were just the ticket and Ruger did it for me at ZERO cost. ZERO cost. Even paid for the shipping back and forth but that was also when they did the trigger work.....

But, all that said, why would anyone use a .22 for selfdefense when there are other options?
    Just for you girl. 1st pic is a 4 Bore. Easy to grip, grab, and whatever else you need to do with them. Hell, you can even throw them at a threat and probably kill it. Guarantee'd they are a "one shot stopped, one shot staying stopped".
    Attached Images
    III

Keep ignoring my rights and I'll keep ignoring your laws.

Hardly anything is more fun than shooting a 22.

I know, but I like shooting it in a rifle.

went with a ruger SR22 the first\last time I selected something for myself, as I wanted cc, liked the interchangeable grips for my extra small hands, and the thumb safety, which I hoped would make it more difficult for a curious goat to shoot me!<so far so good lol>
    I should note I intended to convey that my hands are particularly small, not that I carry an extra pair in my pants pocket : )
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    I myself am entirely made of flaws, stiched together with good intentions.
    MOON™~> all in the ignorant opinion of an uneducated slip of a woman who keeps forgetting to mind her manners, know her place and bow down to her betters

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Hardly anything is more fun than shooting a 22.
    ^^^
    THIS for training, or just all around fun .22 oh Yeah!

plus a .22 in the pocket beats the [redacted] out of a blunder 9 europellet or .45 in the safe
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Mephib View Post
    Excellent discussion. And apologies in advance for this if considered a thread drift, but are there any .22 pistols that are known for reliability? (I get it that .22 pistols are notoriously less reliable for all the reasons given above. I'm just wondering if you were forced to buy just one, other than a target pistol what would it be?) Thx
    IMHO

a Ruger standard .22 mk i/ii/ slash whatever find the ammo it digests and use it with religious feverour

I am lucky to have found an old jennings that actually works. Here mags made a real difference went through 7 to find three that are consistent, and I pick up two new ones a year. Mags are wear pieces.

I have seen the Jeminez copies (of the jennings) and they apparently are better than the run of the mill jennings were.

avoid at all costs Sterlings, and Ravens

If you can find one the S&W 422 predecessor was a nice piece based on the Baby Browning that works well.

have fun
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    Robert Heinlein

If you can find one - Beretta 70 series.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/16477518

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/16342918

The 70S is the post GCA68 non-Saturday Night Special version with a steel frame, adjustable sights and stoopid thumb rest target stocks (which can be replaced). Beretta 70 series .22LR pistols don't show up often, and tend to be expensive for used .22LR pistols. The 70s were made in .32ACP and .380ACP also, in the same frame size. They are an evolution of the WW2 Beretta 1934 pistol, but I don't know of the 1934 being made in anything save .380ACP.

ETA - and from the old to the new: Anyone have a Taurus TX22?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/..._41_black_16+1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yo9ijae5kgo
    Taurus TX22 Rimfire 16+1 Review
    RT 11:36
    Last edited by Dozdoats; 06-12-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I am lucky to have an early Ruger Mk 1 I guess. It was my fathers, low 4 digit. It eats everything. I have a later model, it is just as reliable. Ruger is hard to beat !
    "No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson "

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    I have 2 SR22 and both work flawlessly with an assortment of ammo.

Plus have loaned them to friends who have used them successfully.

I heartily recommend a call to Ruger Service. They are excellent and quick in turn around service.

Good luck!
    I also own two SR22's and my experience is exactly the same. on extremely the rare occasion the last round fails to lock back the slide - VERY rare happenstance with no particular rhyme or reason. multiple magazines, about any kind of standard HI VEL 22 ammo and nary a prob
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 (NKJV)

III

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION