Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GUNS/RLTD Need help - reliability of .22 pistols
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help - reliability of .22 pistols

Got a Ruger SR22 as I think everyone should own at least one .22 pistol. But cannot get that thing to perform reliably, even after trying 5 or 6 different types of ammo.

Is there some secret here about .22 pistols that I'm missing? The pistol feels great in my hand. Have had both FTFs and FTEs...

Is it possible it just eat a limited subset of .22 cartridges that I haven't found yet, or should I get it throated or ramp polished?

I've heard some famous assassins used .22 pistols. Obviously, they must have solved any reliability problems.

Thoughts?
    Why we should never "pray" for healing: www.healingisgodsjustice.org

Try a good cleaning and see if it cycles better.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Beretta 70 series … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_70

Best ever .22 pistols.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Try CCI stingers.

On that note, get a box of every brand and try them. At times some pistols are picky eaters.

Overall, get a Smith to buff up the action. Be sure and find a good rimfire Smith.

Never tried their SR22, but have or have had 3 of their classic. Out of tens of thousands of rounds I've had maybe two or three misfeeds. All kinds of ammo.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

You'll probably get a lot of advise, and most of it great. Mine may be a bit weird, so compensate. I....had a Ruger .22/45

Women (I don't know your sex, so...) have a tendency to let the recoil move their hand backwards, when they fire, which causes jams. Keeping a stiff arm/wrist will correct that. Had two DIL's that needed instruction in that area.

You could check the FPS on the boxes, and get a variety and run it through, including CCI Stingers. To check if it's velocity. I had a rifle that couldn't shoot those, worked the bolt to fast. Shorts won't work most of the time.

Lastly doing a through cleaning, especially if new. Then while broken down, check all parts for broken or chipped including springs.

Hope that helps.
    "Wise Men Still Seek Him"-bumper sticker

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    ďThe rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

some pistols are picky eaters.
    This^^ for sure. For 22 auto pistols it is not uncommon to encounter malfunctions.
    One brother has a Ruger SR22 pistol and it only likes CCI Mini Mags. It works great with that shell only. All others give him mixed results. A son has a sig mosquito. It works flawless with Remington Golden ammo. Everything else results in at least some malfunctions.
    Try every brand of ammo you can find. If none work, sell the pistol rather than dumping added money into it. Another example of the same exact pistol might work perfect (or not).
    You could try a Ruger Standard 22 auto pistol. Most of those work very well and are likely the most reliable of any 22 auto pistol IMHO.

I've had the best luck with MiniMags and Thunderbolts. Grip makes a big difference on function in auto pistols. It usually takes a brick of shells to break in a new gun as there is no fitting done at the factory anymore. I'll need more info/pictures to troubleshoot the FTF, could be the mag, breech face, or ramp. As you have both FTF and FTE look at the extractor as it is involve in both. If you have the skills and tools a fluff and buff should help. If not some JB bore polish on the moving parts will slick them up.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

Did you buy it new? If so, it may just need a break in period. As far as finding the right ammo, it does take some effort. My Savage Mk.II will not 100% reliably feed or eject Remington Golden Bullet, but eats CCI Mini's and Federal Auto-Match without issue.

Speaking on new .22's, the wife has her eyes set on a used Sabatti rifle w/ a Robin's Egg Blue stock, bull barrel, and a decent Nikon scope all at a really good price, at the our LGS.

Consider trying a new magazine if nothing else works.

Only try one thing at the time, to be able to tell what if anything is making a difference.

Examine the breech/chamber/feed ramp/extractor/ejector with good light and low magnification to check for burrs etc that might be causing issues.

A good cleaning and proper lubrication cannot be ruled out as a possible remedy.

As mentioned, some .22 pistols are picky eaters. Try various ammo and see if it digests any one brand better than others.

Get other people to shoot it and see if it works better in different hands/grips/styles etc.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Don't try to fix it or have a gunsmith mess with it. Clean and try again. SR22 pistols are known for being reliable with just about any kind of ammo. If you still have problems, contact Ruger customer service. They are great. They will probably send you a shipping label to send it back to them for free. I know it's tough to be without a pistol you just bought, but they will check it out and I'm sure when you get it back you will be glad you had them fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    You could try a Ruger Standard 22 auto pistol. Most of those work very well and are likely the most reliable of any 22 auto pistol IMHO.
    Plus they take a scope very nicely.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpace View Post
    Try CCI stingers.

On that note, get a box of every brand and try them. At times some pistols are picky eaters.

Overall, get a Smith to buff up the action. Be sure and find a good rimfire Smith.
    2nd this

have had a Ruger .22 that only ate stingers and a little Jennings that is an absolute omnivore.

small pistols can be finicky eaters.

get a good cleaning and have some recoil therapy

second thing is try a different set of mags as well esp on the FTF issue

r
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    Robert Heinlein

Thx for the great advice - to be clear: cleaning not the issue, not a limp wrist problem (I'm 6'2" and 200 and grip it firmly), but it is fairly new (probably less than 200 rounds), all mags are Ruger factory, no luck with CCI minis

Very frustrating bc what could be worse than an unreliable gun.

Sounds like I'm going to just have to bull through this and put 500 rounds through it even if every mag misfeeds. If not better, off to Ruger...

Quote Originally Posted by Mephib View Post

Sounds like I'm going to just have to bull through this and put 500 rounds through it even if every mag misfeeds. If not better, off to Ruger...
    If you are going to shoot it anyway try other brand ammo. I mentioned Mini Mags but every gun is different. Yours might like something else.

Thx for the great advice - to be clear: cleaning not the issue, not a limp wrist problem (I'm 6'2" and 200 and grip it firmly), but it is fairly new (probably less than 200 rounds), all mags are Ruger factory, no luck with CCI minis

Have you tried hand cycling rounds from the magazine? That can be helpful to see what slows the slide and how well the ejection works in removing a shell.
    Try pulling slide all the way back then releasing like normal loading of the first round. Also try moving the slide slowly both ways.
    I'd try that for a few magazines worth. Don't fire it, just work the slide by hand each time. Maybe you'll be able to see or hear something that doesn't seem right.

I'd also inspect the chamber closely to be sure it's not rough inside. Difficult extraction can sap the slide energy needed to properly load the next round.

Didn't mean anything derogatory, was just saying. Since I didn't know anything about you.

I don't know about 500 rds. but would try some Stingers, then try a little slow motion one at a time to see if you can pick up on where the problem is. If that doesn't work then go to Ruger.

My guess is if the extraction/extractor looks good, then it's probably the recoil spring. Tempered wrong, length, or cracked at the factory.
    "Wise Men Still Seek Him"-bumper sticker

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    ďThe rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Three things come to mind. As has been mentioned try a new magazine as a weak magazine spring can cause failure to feed. In addition as has been mentioned a good cleaning to make sure nothing is gumming up the works and the third thing is the pistol round. Not so much with the .22 but with my old 1911 it just hated lead ball ammunition. I would get occasional stovepipes and failures to feed with a lead nose ball. Jacketed rounds were no trouble at all but it hated lead.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

SIL had a Ruger MK3 that had light strikes occasionally, I worked on it, her boy friend worked on it, Ruger worked on it, sent it down the road.
    It seems some individual guns are best either some one else's problem or scrap. I had a Ruger MK 1 or 2 I bought 60 years or so ago, worked 100%.
    Wife has a MKIV that has worked perfectly since new.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

Having both ftf and fte with different ammo speaks extractor or chamber problem to me.

Extractor is quick and easy to fix, chamber problems will require smithing.

If it is a new gun send it back to Ruger and they will make it right. Give as much detail as you can and send empty casings if you have them.

Ahem.....

My govt model suddenly began to jam and misfeed. It was killing me. As I have fired maybe10-12k rounds through it I thought it may need a new barrel or the ramp was worn out. Not so. My remington ammo all had crazy head angles on the bullet. They were sticking out everywhere. I suppose on a bold action rifle or revolver they would be ok. I put blazer in and wha-la!. Maybe it's worn to the point it can't manage the wacky ammo, but this may be your problem as well.

Most trouble I have had with .22LR autos can be traced to ammo, or magazines.

Broken / damaged extractor a distant third.

It's a ruger, send it to them and let them fix it.

Tell em it has to go bang every single time or it's useless to you and your needs.

Then test and send back over and over if they don't make it right.
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

I've heard some famous assassins used .22 pistols. Obviously, they must have solved any reliability problems.

When you are inches to few feet away, accuracy improves regardless of the firearm....

Texican....

have you taken your mags apart,...clean real good...make sure the inside is very smooth,...lube everything...put it all back.....

this fixed my mark II

Mags are new...I even changed out the gun's spring rod from plastic to metal, not help. The thing is so problematic I think Ruger needs to fix it...Thx to all!

The design of .22lr ammo is usually the culprit in my experience.
    Many "picky eaters" don't like lead (which deforms) and HP (which will bind on the feed ramp).

Anymore, I run Aguila Super Extra HV copper plated solids.
    They have run in everything that I have ever tried, are much cheaper than Minimags, and are reliable. I highly recommend.
    They usually run about $200/case of 5000 shipped.

A revolver will not jam with any brand of 22LR if reasonably clean. Many hold lots of cartridges in their cylinder. I have an old one I paid about $80 for that holds nine cartridges. I load it with CCI velocitor hollowpoints. Other vendors' revolvers hold even more.

There has been some good advice posted- run more rounds through it, try different brands, loadings etc., try another mag, if all else fails contact Ruger, they stand behind what they sell.

The last 1911 I had done was set up to run 200 grain lead SWCs at about 900FPS. The smith who built it used a 17 pound recoil spring IIRC.

A .22LR pistol is working with far less mechanical force to cycle the action. Everything has to be just right to get it to run.

Got a Ruger SR22 as I think everyone should own at least one .22 pistol. But cannot get that thing to perform reliably, even after trying 5 or 6 different types of ammo.

Is there some secret here about .22 pistols that I'm missing? The pistol feels great in my hand. Have had both FTFs and FTEs...

Is it possible it just eat a limited subset of .22 cartridges that I haven't found yet, or should I get it throated or ramp polished?

Thoughts?
    Did you somewhere state precisely what it is the pistol is not doing?
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

Have had both FTFs and FTEs...

Failures to feed/fire and failures to extract/eject are pretty good diagnostics...

I'm not an expert by any means, but with shooting less than 200 rounds I can't understand why being dirty would be a problem. I know .22 is notoriously dirty, but still.
    III

Keep ignoring my rights and I'll keep ignoring your laws.

Go to a Ruger Forum and see if you can find anyone having same problem. There used to be two good forums but haven't visited one in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Have had both FTFs and FTEs...

Failures to feed/fire and failures to extract/eject are pretty good diagnostics...
    Would be if it was the owner that said that. But he didn't, somebody else did. He did mention a failure to feed but there are at least two permutations of that. A little precision would be helpful. Just saying it doesn't work isn't.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

Reiterating the complete OP, emphasis mine-

Thoughts?

duped Dozdoats by less than 30 seconds..

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Reiterating the complete OP, emphasis mine-

Thoughts?
    My bad. Missed it at least twice. But this what I was talking about.

Failure to feed
    1. Does not strip the cartridge from the magazine
    2. Picks up the cartridge but jams on entering the chamber.
    3. Cartridge enters the chamber but the gun does not go into battery far enough to fire.

You've tinkered enough with that piece. Call Ruger Customer Service: https://ruger.com/dataProcess/customerService/

39. I have 2 SR22 and both work flawlessly with an assortment of ammo.

Plus have loaned them to friends who have used them successfully.

I heartily recommend a call to Ruger Service. They are excellent and quick in turn around service.

Good luck!
    Keep on asking, and you will be given what you ask for.
    Keep on looking, and you will find.
    Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened. [Matt 7:7]

Quote Originally Posted by Adino View Post
    Having both ftf and fte with different ammo speaks extractor or chamber problem to me.

Extractor is quick and easy to fix, chamber problems will require smithing.

If it is a new gun send it back to Ruger and they will make it right. Give as much detail as you can and send empty casings if you have them.
    Few years ago when we had a shop, took a Target bull bbl Ruger SS on trade. Sold it a week or so later. Customer had the same problem. He tried everything. Contacted Ruger, sent it to them. They had it for about a month & half. But they fixed it.

They enclosed a report explaining everything they had done. Don't remember now what, but it worked great then. Remember, it was a used gun, not that old, but used. And they performed wonderful customer service.

You cannot beat Ruger Customer Service !!!
    "No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson "

Si vis pacem, para bellum