Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Mississippi River Flooding (Southern Version)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Basin already filling
    Attached Images
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

LEVEE NEAR B.R.
    Attached Images
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

Baton Rouge @ LSU looking toward downtown
    Attached Images

Somewhere (perhaps in Rising Tide) I read a statement regarding the elevation of the bed of the Mississippi River. My recollection is that the river bed is below sea level as far upstream as Vicksburg. I have not been successful in confirming this--or finding any other statements on that subject.

If true, the present Mississippi River would not be entirely dry should the river make a new course down the Atchafalaya. It would be lower, perhaps significantly lower, but would it become entirely unnavigable?

Quote Originally Posted by BenIan View Post
    LEVEE NEAR B.R.
    Ben you might need to remind others how high up the top of the levee is just looks like a road along the river but it is several feet (not sure of height) 10, 15 or 20 ft high

Thank you for the pics and info you are bringing to this thread.
    I've got my duck taped now what???
    God Bless
    MawMaw

My German engineer housemate was looking at the photos and pointing out the areas "about to breach" in some of them; that was not a comforting thought especially since she works in a water company....
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Those are scary pictures Ben.

I know in the past the river got high but since nothing ever happened I would dismiss levee fears each and every year pretty much.

We aren't dismissing it now but to be honest I have no clue what would happen if those levees not just topped over, but breached!! Would it be like dominoes pushing all the way down?

Our usual flooding would be from what it looks like in the basin. Lakes, swamps, bayous, and canals would fill, then back up into homes. For that, I can prepare in saving precious items.

Now if the Mississippi breaks through? Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    My German engineer housemate was looking at the photos and pointing out the areas "about to breach" in some of them; that was not a comforting thought especially since she works in a water company....
    No that is not a comforting thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mawmaw View Post
    Ben you might need to remind others how high up the top of the levee is just looks like a road along the river but it is several feet (not sure of height) 10, 15 or 20 ft high

Thank you for the pics and info you are bringing to this thread.
    The pics in 122 & 123 are of the same levee, just different perspectives. The rivers normal banks are where the barges are along the tree line in pic 123. It’s probably 50-100 yds levee to water in normal times. There is A LOT OF WATER here.

Is anyone else's Weather Channel phone app changing to "The WATER Channel" as they open it?

Was looking at google earth aerial images of Vidalia last night to understand the pressure points. Ben those pics are numbing. Just heard off a youtube vid price of a single bale of alfalfa hay is running $65 each in southern Ohio, nobody can get a tractor into their fields to cut this spring. It means Canada and Russia may have to step in and help. 31 million acres literally unplanted and those who still have livestock facing difficulty to feed them thru winter. Its a catastrophe already

https://katc.com/news/around-acadian...-in-six-weeks/

Berwick homes receive water twice in six weeks

Justice Henderson
    10:36 pm
    June 7, 2019

Across Acadiana, the cleanup continues from this week’s flooding. Some are looking ahead, in hopes of preventing future flooding. In St. Mary Parish, some say this is the second time in the last six weeks.

It was a busy day in Berwick’s Country Club Estates neighborhood.

“It just kept coming and coming and coming and everything flooded. Water started coming in the house and we couldn’t stop it. It’s just messed up,” Jelena Bennett said.

Jelena Bennett has lived in her home for 17 years. This week, a first, water filled her home during a two-hour rain storm. This caused her family to take up all the carpet in their home.

“The water does go down fast once it stops raining and all, but we had so much rain the pumps couldn’t keep up,” Bennett said.

Others in the neighborhood say they didn’t get water this time, but they are frustrated with the drainage in the neighborhood.

“I’ve been living here for 30 years and I have never experienced this high of water. In the last six weeks, two months, we have had two torrential rainfalls that I don’t think any pumps could keep up with,” Belinda Boudreaux said.

“Fortunately I didn’t get any water, but unfortunately some of the neighbors did and its twice. we need to make sure. We need to go to our council meetings and find out what’s going on,” Aaron Brown said.

KATC took their concerns to Berwick Mayor, Duval Arthur.

“We have dug out all of our drainage ditches, we have checked all our pumps. We have done all kind of things. Cleaned out some storm drains that were stopped up, just thinking we were correcting the problem. We found out today that we are going to have to take some other measures,” Arthur said.

Those flooded say it can’t come soon enough.

“It makes it hard on you, and especially now during economic times when you have to redo the flooring and stuff like that. It’s expensive,” Brown said.

just up at 7:43 am CT

update on fisheries disasters

Gov. Edwards: Upriver floods a disaster for fisheries
    JANET McCONNAUGHEY, Associated Press Published 7:43 a.m. CT June 18, 2019

NEW ORLEANS — Louisiana's governor says floodwaters from the Midwest are severely hurting people who make their living from coastal seafood, so he's asking the federal government to declare a fisheries disaster for the state.

Floodwaters rushing from the Bonnet Carré Spillway north of New Orleans have killed oysters, hurt fish catches and damaged livelihoods, Gov. John Bel Edwards said in a letter to Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross.

The fresh water has driven crabs, shrimp and fish out of bays and marshes and into saltier water where they can survive. But oysters are stuck — glued to the bottom. "On a scale of 1 to 10, we are 9-and-a-half destroyed," said Brad Robin, whose family controls about 10,000 acres (4,000 hectares) of oyster leases in Louisiana waters.

The full impact won't be known for some time because the spillway, which protects New Orleans' levees by directing huge amounts of Mississippi River water into usually brackish Lake Pontchartrain, remains open, Edwards said in a letter sent Thursday and released Monday..."

more at link

https://www.thetowntalk.com/story/ne...es/1485397001/

Good Explanation of Morganza Spillway...RT 13:09

Same guy explaining ORCS...RT 12:33

Very interesting videos Ben and explains a LOT!!!

Baton Rouge Levee Sign in September 2014 with more normal water levels...
    Attached Images

Baton Rouge Levee Sign Today, June 20, 2019...This picture shows the tippy top of the "G" in Rouge
    Attached Images

Taken today, looking from the "G" in Rouge down toward the "Baton"
    Attached Images

Thank you for the latest pictures Ben! My DD's husband (who travels across the river for work.) would keep us up to speed but they're in Mississippi.

I know the immediate danger is "supposedly" over but that is STILL ridiculously HIGH!!!

Thanks for all your information, Ben.....sure would like to see this fellow's next video he plans to make in July.

Ben....the word on the street is that they are not / were not ever going to open the morganza spillway... what are you hearing? The river has gone down a few feet but it’s still way up where we live. All the crops that were planted or not able to be planted are lost and the farmers don’t know if they are going to be reimbursed any amount since there was “no flood”, regardless of the fact that they were forced into moving all equipment and stock. Needless to say there are a lot of upset farmers that think they got royally screwed over by the army corp of engineers.

Apparently their crop insurance will not pay a penny due to the information stated above. For non farmers this means they paid the premiums but can’t collect ... they don’t necessarily want the govt (taxpayers) money just the money owed from their crop insurance policies.
    Last edited by Sandcastle76; 06-20-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    I remember in '73 when the MS was going to crest above the flood stage in New Orleans, and they opened the spillway. Living in the French Quarter at the time and I was clueless so I don't even remember what happened, the Quarter is high and dry and I was not concerned. We walked over to the river and saw how high it was. Like I said I was clueless.

Judy
    Informative video on the flooding potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zIyHBuBjtA

and an article about it:

Here is the article mentioned in the video: https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...

Scary stuff.

Judy

and an article about it:

Here is the article mentioned in the video: https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...

Scary stuff.

Judy
    The article is at:
    https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...660c81021.html

Article date is February 3, 2018 BTW.

and an article about it:

Scary stuff.

Judy
    Yes it is scary stuff.

Yesterday, DH and I went to give blood at the bloodmobile which was at Oak Alley Plantation. Standing outside while waiting, we were chatting with a man who was the Groundskeeper for the Plantation and he said they're in the middle of a major landscaping project but they can't proceed because of the high water. He said if they dug too deep they'd hit water even though the grounds itself was dry as a bone.

In crossing the Veterans Memorial Bridge, the river looked like it went down some but not nearly enough I guess.

On a side note, that woman who made the video is the one who made that video I sent you when you were wondering what to do with all your tomatoes.

Easy Fresh Spaghetti in 20 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwrBkGK-tjM
    12 minutes

Invest 92L set to intensify into tropical storm/Cat 1 hurricane by this weekend and to dump massive amounts of rain on south Louisiana

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...28#post7342728

Because that's all the south needs.

Invest 92L set to intensify into tropical storm/Cat 1 hurricane by this weekend and to dump massive amounts of rain on south Louisiana

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...28#post7342728
    Actually we are hoping that the storm will wash away the green bloom algae that has shut down the gulf coast since opening the spillway so long has really messed up the waters of the coast.
    God Bless
    MawMaw

I stand corrected, mawmaw. We saw red tide back in the day but I've only seen pics of the green blooms. Nasty!

still a lot of uncertainty in the models but if this thing dumps as much rain as is being predicted (20"-30"), several of us down here are going to be having very bad days...these slow moving rain dumpers are the worst

still a lot of uncertainty in the models but if this thing dumps as much rain as is being predicted (20"-30"), several of us down here are going to be having very bad days...these slow moving rain dumpers are the worst
    Yeah, it could become a problem Ben.

I'm going to just go ahead and move my irreplaceable photos, important papers, etc. in water-proofed bins high off the ground on top of some high shelves and just keep them there until hurricane season is over.

With Hurricane Issac, we came within feet before the water came in, so I figure this time will be it and that's how I'm going to plan for it.

That's insane! Prayers that all of you in its path stay safe and dry. I just can't imagine that much rain in just a few days.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hM7jpwx_k-k

Tuesday evening Tropical Tidbits RT approx 11 min.

Mississippi River at NOLA storm surge prediction raised to 20ft (this is the max levee protection in NOLA)...not good
    Attached Images

8 to 10 inches of rain in one hour, NOLA today has shut down the city FLOODING everywhere ! and the storm is no where close !!!! They are nw saying the weather will make the green bloom worst because of all the rain expected !!! Now saying the river is at 20 ft,(top of levee) with surges at 3 or 5 feet with storm. New Orleans needs your prayers
    God Bless
    MawMaw

Sorry to hear that, MawMaw. Prayers for all concerned. The weather is getting disturbingly weird.

And all my LA cousins are getting home from the family reunion in South Bend, IN just in time for this. Best wishes for all concerned down there - stay safe.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Where is Mayor Mr. Ray Nagin when you need him??

Latest on Barry
    Attached Images

I don't know where all of this rain water is going to go...
    Attached Images