Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Mississippi River Flooding (Southern Version)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Mississippi River Flooding (Southern Version)

With the opening of the Morganza Spillway this weekend, it is time for this thread...
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...2de05fd05.html

Trump OKs Louisiana emergency declaration ahead of Morganza Spillway opening
    BY ELIZABETH CRISP | ECRISP@THEADVOCATE.COM MAY 29, 2019 - 7:51 PM

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has approved a federal disaster declaration for the state of Louisiana’s flood fight, including some emergency protective measures, Gov. John Bel Edwards announced Wednesday evening.

“I thank President Trump for recognizing the urgency of our request and responding so quickly,” Gov. Edwards said in the statement. “We have been preparing for the opening of the Morganza Spillway by submerging a barge in Bayou Chene to reduce backwater flooding into communities across five parishes. This is an important first step, and we stand ready, alongside our federal partners, to support our local leaders in the coming days and weeks, as even more water is expected to make its way to Louisiana.”

The approval is for emergency protective measures, including direct federal assistance under the Public Assistance program, at 75 percent federal funding for St. Mary Parish. FEMA also can provide direct federal assistance for the parishes of Assumption, Catahoula, Concordia, Iberville, Pointe Coupee, Rapides, St. Landry, St. Martin, Terrebonne and West Feliciana. FEMA will cover 75 percent of the costs.

Members of the Louisiana congressional delegation had come together to ask Trump for the federal emergency declaration ahead of the historic opening of the Morganza Spillway this weekend.

"Protection measures such as gabion baskets and sandbags, and a barge structure at Bayou Chene and other protection features in the Atchafalaya Basin are required," the bipartisan group wrote in a letter to the White House.

Once Morganza Spillway opens, how high will water rise? 7 feet predicted around Krotz Springs
    Once Morganza Spillway opens, how high will water rise? 7 feet predicted around Krotz Springs
    This weekend will be the third time the spillway is opened in its 46-year history. It is expected to create massive flooding throughout the Atchafalaya Basin. It's just the latest flood threat for thousands of Louisiana residents, they write in the letter, which urges the federal government to expedite emergency measures to prevent major flooding events that are caused by drainage from other states "and a lack of proper river management and maintenance of the Mississippi River system."

The delegation also has sent a second letter directly to the U.S. Department of Agriculture to address farm concerns before the Corps opens the Morganza on Sunday.

Can't see video below? Click here.

Play
    Unmute
    Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
    Remaining Time -0:29
    Captions
    Fullscreen

All eight members — Sens. Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy, and Reps. Ralph Abraham, Garret Graves, Clay Higgins, Mike Johnson, Cedric Richmond and Steve Scalise — signed both letters.

About 25,000 acres of farmland in the area could see massive flooding, and officials say it threatens a total crop and aquaculture loss in the region.

Get ready, Morganza opens Sunday; here's how that impacts animals, anglers
    "Louisiana agriculture is still recoiling from the heavy hit provided by severe weather and tariffs imposed by China in the 2018 planting year," members wrote in a letter to U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue. "Tens of thousands of acres of soybeans and other commodities were left standing in fields unharvested, while others faced a severely depressed market. The opening of the Morganza Spillway will further devastate the lives and livelihoods of Louisiana farmers."

That letter seeks for the USDA to "stand ready not only to provide all appropriate (USDA) emergency and non-emergency resources available to those adversely impacted, but to assist eligible farmers and producers to access available aid across the federal government."

052419 Mississippi River Morganza spillways
    Buy Now
    BY DAN SWENSON | THE ADVOCATE
    Stress, worry, anxiety: Some prepared to wait out flooding with Morganza Spillway set to open
    Stress, worry, anxiety: Some prepared to wait out flooding with Morganza Spillway set to open
    Morganza Spillway preparations: Here's the history of sinking barges to control backwater flooding
    Morganza Spillway preparations: Here's the history of sinking barges to control backwater flooding
    FOLLOW ELIZABETH CRISP ON TWITTER, @ELIZABETHCRISP.
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

I recently drove down MS Hwy 3 which runs down from Yazoo City to Vicksburg...water everywhere. They are now saying Yazoo City will probably flood like it did in 2011. Some may know, but many here donít understand how much agriculture is produced from say Greenville and Greenwood, MS (on the east side of MS river) down the entire length of the state and on the opposite LA (west side of the river) down from Oak Grove to say Morganza / Plaquemine area. These are some of the best and richest cropland acres in United States.. Itís called ďIce Cream LandĒ and our farm consists totally of Bruin Loam, which constantly produces well above the crop averages per acre, way above the average. This area produces the bulk of the rice, beans, sugar cane, hay, a huge amount of corn along with a good amount of milo and wheat. This is human food and animal feed.

Stock up is all I can say...sugar is on sale now and corn meal is still cheap...flour in commercial size bags and if you can grind it yourself, some raw wheat. Donít forget dried beans of all kinds and expect meats to soar in price.

I honestly donít know if the ports can continue to operate much longer and donít know where the grain and other goods will be held. .. and again, we havenít seen any of the snow melt yet.

Weíve got 3 properties that could suffer flood damage if the river tops.

As to Natchez, the river is very high but the bluffs and the ďunder the hillĒ areas are not flooded yet...water super high and the tributary Buffalo River between Natchez and Woodville is super high also. This area is directly above the Angola spillway / gate structure ...when it opens it will flow down directly to St. Francisville and into Point Coupee parish which is where the morganza spillway is. Pray the opening the spillways works cause otherwise the river will top the levees which could, probably would, cause a breach of epic proportions... Baton Rouge possibly all the way down. Feel sorry for the people around morganza and butte laírose cause theyíre going to lose homes and livestock if they canít get the animals evacuated.

Iím keeping and reminding myself to stay positive and remember itís not my plan and not my place to question or understand the plan. My only demand from God is to trust the plan and his understanding. Grace is not something that comes easily to me...Iíve had to make do over and over during my life...itís challenging and in truth there are very few people I trust other than myself...gotta learn more humility and the ability to let go but itís soooooo hard for me, since Iíve never had somebody to depend on other than myself...any way.... say a prayer for what may be and one for me to learn from past lessons that I need to be humble and accept Gods plan...not understand it. Now yíall know why I donít sleep more than 4 hours a night...lol, gosh Iím a mess and donít do stress well. Prayers up !!

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...13481c108.html

BY JOE MACALUSO | JMACALUSO@THEADVOCATE.COM MAY 29, 2019 - 7:00 PM

Come Sunday, when the first pins are pulled from the Morganza Spillway gates, the entire 60 miles of our country’s largest overflow swamp will change.

For how long and the how much effect it will have on the fauna and flora of this incredible area are the biggest questions.

A first memory of the full rush of water through the Morganza Spillway is 1973, a record flood then, and one only exceeded by this year’s rising waters during the past nine months.

Former Advocate Outdoors writer Mike Cook, God rest his soul, documented 1973’s efforts of state Wildlife and Fisheries biologists and staff along with dozens of volunteers who spent hours on end attempting rescue of whitetail deer from the rising waters in the Atchafalaya Basin.

Lessons learned then prompted state Wildlife Division biologists to come up with something along the order of a “leave deer alone” policy, believing deer can better fend for themselves in the rising water when the floodgates were opened in 2011.

Truth is, the 1973 venture didn’t produce the kind of results the LDWF staff intended. Very few deer were captured and brought to the safety of wooded areas outside the basin’s east and west guide levees. And from witnessing those efforts firsthand, it was a struggle to get even the smallest of whitetails into a boat and headed for a safer place.

And lots of deer did cross the levees in 2011. Herds could be seen munching grasses atop the levees, and, when approached, almost seemed to know where to dash to escape human encroachment.

The biggest problem, it appeared, was poachers, who took advantage of this exodus to kill or maim whitetails.

A further examination of the situation can be broken down into several segments for what’s expected to happen in the next months.

Land animals

Deer are the most visible among the quadrupeds, but there are many others, some which can adapt to the water and some which can’t.

Deer can’t, although in 2011 we observed five whitetails nestled on a raft of timber and debris and riding the current like folks snuggled in an inner-tube floating down the Amite River. Those deer disappeared behind a row of willows and we don’t know what happened to them.

Yet, others by the hundreds, escaped, but it’s clear in the intervening years a lower number of whitetails returned to the basin after the spillway’s gates were closed and the water receded.

Moreover, by some strange twist from Mother Nature, the deer breeding cycle is extra late across the major rivers’ basins and the fawn “drop” is late in this area, maybe into late August, long after however many females have left the basin.

Rabbits have been known to swim the Mississippi River, so this event shouldn’t be a problem for their populations.

Squirrels live in trees — except for the buggers who like to steal tomatoes from backyards these days — and most will survive.

Alligators will be gators and go where they darned well please, and otters and nutria will swim their way out.

Feral hogs are in the mix, too, and they should be given a wide berth when they’re moving from the basin.

And, there are enough black bears throughout the area that folks could come in contact with them. The LDWF asks anyone encountering bears in a rural or urban setting to call (337) 262-2080.

Birds, except for turkeys, should be OK. A flood like that which is coming cripples turkey numbers, if only because the nesting season is just about over and whatever chicks hatched certainly won’t have the ability to fly from their rearing grounds.

A bigger problem for all land animals is habitat. Sheet-water flooding destroys lots of understory, the plants most of these animals need to survive. With the Mississippi River carrying water enough for a prediciton of “normal” waterflow well into July, there might not be enough time for plants to re-establish by the fall to carry animal populations through the winter.

There is a benefit to all this water: it comes from new silt deposits, which will stimulate new plant growth in the coming years.

Fish

OK, so it’s water and fish live in it, and can thrive amidst all the food — crawfish and the like — sheet-water flooding brings to the basin.

The problem here comes much later than the spillway’s opening and the volume of water moving heavy loads of detritus into the waterways when the water goes down.

The leaves, twigs, branches and other dead plants usually get washed into basin canals and bayous, and, during summer’s heat, begin to decompose.

Worse yet is all this newly introduced organic matter needs oxygen to begin decomposition, and this causes even large waterbodies to become anoxic, or devoid of dissolved oxygen.

So, as with most all south Louisiana waters, and under summer’s heat, no dissolved oxygen leads to fish kills, certainly not the kind we saw in 1993’s aftermath of Hurricane Andrew in the Atchafalaya Basin — remember the estimated 175 million fish killed from that storm — but there will be dead fish.

Worst of all, we could see this event repeat over and over again in other flooded areas, like the Verret Basin and some areas south of U.S 90 in the Atchafalaya Delta, although fish in that latter area are less prone to encounter anoxic conditions.

So, for the thousands of anglers who are expecting a windfall of action after the water is out, there is peril at the end of the flood. It’s something that’s happened before, and sometimes happens annually, but it will come, so don’t be shocked when you see thousands of baitfish, even a few gamefish, floating on both east and west sides of the basin.

A note for fishermen: when water gets low enough, there will be a procession to the launches on the basin’s east and west sides. There will be enough water and enough silt to create new sandbars and cuts.

Just know the topography of the basin will change, and change dramatically in some areas, and you will need to be cautious when running a boat even in areas you know “like the back of your hand.”

Snakes

If you live in or around the basin, experiences with past floods have taught many of us to be wary of where you walk on the levees and surrounding areas.

Snakes move with the water, too, and if you spend enough time in these places in the next weeks you could see any number of poisonous critters, including rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, copperheads and coral snakes.

Those pretty little coral snakes have a way of getting into the tightest places in the back of sheds and in boats and can deliver a pretty tough punch, not at first, but wait and, well, you don’t want to find out.

The coast

Move this volume of water from the two major rivers in the southern U.S. and it’s bound to affect coastal fishing.

A couple of weeks after the spillway’s opening, folks will begin to see rafts of dead water hyacinths in coastal waters – and a lot of dirty water moving to the beaches even as far east (from the Atchafalaya) as Last Island chain and whatever beaches remain in Timbalier Bay.

The slug of freshwater will move lots of species, including shrimp and pogeys, and when you move these two forage species, speckled trout and other recreational fishing targets will move, too.

In past openings, or in other heavy floods, the rafts of dead hyacinths can be a bonus. Tripletail find them and hide under the mats and can be a target for catching one of the most delectable fish there is swimming in coastal Louisiana.

There have been times when the freshwater push sends trout to the beaches and other shallow-reef spots and this provides a bonanza for anglers.

Know, too, that freshwater is lighter than saltwater, and just because you see a lot of muddy river water on the surface idoesn’t mean the trout have moved from the shallows of bays and coastal lakes. Try your favorite places first, and if it doesn't pan out, then go hunting specks.

Just get ready. The Morganza Spillway is opening Sunday.

I also donít know why they waited so long to implement a plan to relieve the amount of water in the MS river....up river flooding has been going on for sometime now...maybe they were too optimistic and the continued rain / storms were their undoing.

Full USACE Morganza Spillway and Atchafalaya River Flood Briefing - May 29, 2019

Last edited by BenIan; 05-30-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Sorry I just posted an update on the other thread..don’t know how to move it over to this one. My WiFi is weak where I am tonight and apparently I was typing while the thread moving message was made.

excellent presser link on the briefing there and I note they said 'electricity should be good for any water up to 12 ft'. And someone in the audience said Butte La Rose peaked at 23 ft. in 2011 *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcastle76 View Post
    Sorry I just posted an update on the other thread..don’t know how to move it over to this one. My WiFi is weak where I am tonight and apparently I was typing while the thread moving message was made.
    I moved them... they pasted in above. Praying for you, and all in the midst of this disaster.

Summerthyme

Thank you

P
    Quote Originally Posted by BenIan View Post
    With the opening of the Morganza Spillway this weekend, it is time for this thread...
    Thank youfo4 posting a link in the Midwest flooding thread, it’ll make so much more sense for those coming late to the story!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    I moved them... they pasted in above. Praying for you, and all in the midst of this disaster.

Summerthyme
    Thank you! It affects up river as well because it slows if not stops barge traffic!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

And FYI it’s still raining here in iowa tonight, not here locally but west, north and east of me and it’s torrential rain. 1993 is starting to look like a cake walk!

When I moved here in 1993 my county was in the midst of a drought, even though everything was under flood waters. Oh the irony.

And it’s starting to shape up to that again which means absolute hell for those down river.

Original post has error....says this is only the third time the spillway has been opened...hell, this is the second time this year! Then 2011, 1973...so this is at least the fourth...seems it was opened a couple of years ago, also.

Just saw on Facebook that lock and dam #19 over the Mississippi is now under water, as to whether or not it still exists is anyone’s best guess.

https://watershed.la.gov/assets/docs...Structures.pdf

Great link with lots of maps and diagrams showing the river “control” system in south Louisiana.

Just heard from family member that the petrochemical plants around Krotz Springs, LA are asking for volunteers to stay / sleep at the facility ... “until it becomes mandatory”. So that means they are gearing up to have enough workers on-site at all times to keep the plant running despite any high water or flood event. BTW there weren’t many volunteers...people taking care of their families first, as it should be.

Got thru to my daughter finally tonight but let her think it was her idea ... she asked me did I think it would flood where she lives...carefully worded my response to tell her it definitely could happen and explained how the spillways and levee system around their home works and it only takes one mistake or failure that can then result in a cascade of failures that can have serious and dangerous outcomes. Also explained the food, water and gas situation. She is making preparations tomorrow!!

I truly may get some sleep tonight...I told y’all she was smart, but could be considered a slow learner at times like these. She is blessed to have never had anything bad happen to her since she’s been out on her own. I pray it stays like that too.

5 min. Video explanation of what happens when Spillway is opened.

Thanks, BenIan. That was an excellent explanation of what will happen when the spillways are opened.

My cousin is recovering from surgery so I can't ask her but has anyone been near the Vicksburg "lower quarter" and seen how high the water is yet against "the wall" that has the previous high river marks on it?

I remember seeing it as a child and later as a young adult, I think the 1973 flood didn't go quite as high as the one in 1927 but I'm not sure and I only got second-hand reports from family (who all live on high ground) for the one in the early 1990s.

Anyway, I just thought a check of the wall (perhaps these days there is a webcam or something?) would be interesting...
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    Thanks, BenIan. That was an excellent explanation of what will happen when the spillways are opened.
    Yes that was definitely helpful for this yankee. We've got a flood warning here into Saturday but considering it's looks to be minimal.

One of my kids works on river, his boat has been tied up in Cairo IL due to river flooding, he said not sure how long but expecting to be on land all next week. Not good when barges not moving.
    agmfan3
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

To me this story has a Baghdad Bob feels to it.

Morgan City told barge sinking means 'worst is behind them' even before Morganza opens

By EMMA KENNEDY | ekennedy@theadvocate.com and CLAIRE TAYLOR | ctaylor@theadvocate.com MAY 29, 2019 - 4:13 PM

MORGAN CITY – Morgan City-area residents Wednesday saw their first ray of hope in what’s been a historic flood season: the worst is likely behind them even though the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is still days away from opening the Morganza Spillway.

The spillway's opening, set for Sunday 80 miles away, will relieve pressure along the flooded Mississippi River by funneling water toward an Atchafalaya River that's steadily creeped up on homes and businesses in St. Mary, lower St. Martin and adjacent parishes. Crews labored southeast of Morgan City on Wednesday to erect a temporary dam to reduce backwater flooding ahead of the extra water's arrival.

The Corps said at a public hearing in Butte La Rose on Tuesday that floodwaters within the Morganza could stand 7 feet deep near where the spillway crosses U.S. 190 at Krotz Springs, and during a meeting with the public Wednesday at the Morgan City High School gymnasium, anxious and angry residents wondered aloud what that much water means for their already soggy city.

Temporarily sinking a barge at Bayou Chene to stop the water's back flow should all but spare people in the Morgan City area, officials said at a question-and-answer session. Authorities from a range of agencies — including the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Mary and St. Martin parish governments, Morgan City, political representatives and the Coastal Restoration and Protection Authority — took turns addressing concerns while the crowd scratched out notes and whispered to each other.

“Of course we’ve got work to do when the water recedes but right now I feel very comfortable standing here and advising my constituents the worst is behind us,” St. Martin Parish President Chester Cedars said.

Can't see video below? Click here.

Advertisement: 0:14

The Bayou Chene barge was floated into place Wednesday morning and was expected to sink by Wednesday night. In their next steps, crews will use sheet metal, riprap and steel piles to keep the structure in place and clog the bayou's flow, as well as any byway canals that may form from the displaced water. Gov. John Bel Edwards is expected to visit the dam site Thursday.

The Corps plans to open the Morganza Spillway's gates slowly — one a day for the first three days — and possibly open about two dozen of the structure's 125 bays during June. The opening should add about 10,000 cubic feet per second of water to the current flow rate of 550,000 cfs, said Tim Matte, executive director of the St. Mary Parish Levee District.

“We will be ready when that water gets here,” he said. The water should take about three days to reach Morgan City.

Diverting water into the Morganza Spillway will prevent the Mississippi River from overtopping the spillway structure northwest of Baton Rouge and render it unusable, the Corps has said.

Predictions from the Corps suggest the Atchafalaya River at Morgan City will experience its third-highest level in history. The river was at 8.3 feet at Morgan City on Wednesday; flood stage is 6 feet. Matte said it’s expected to rise 1Ĺ to 2 feet after the Morganza Spillway is opened.

Matte said he has “full confidence in the flood wall” along the river at Front Street, but businesses and residents on the unprotected side of the wall will be impacted.

As of Wednesday afternoon, water lapped at picnic tables along Morgan City’s riverfront. Drivers navigated the puddles forming along Front Street as spaces in the retaining wall holding the river back let trickles slip through.

Roy Bergeron operated businesses on the riverfront as early as 1960. He has one building left on the unprotected side of the floodwall, between the river and the wall, a metal building used for storage that has the misfortune of being the first flooded when the Atchafalaya starts to rise.

Bergeron can’t buy flood insurance to cover the building, which used to flood occasionally, he said.

“Now it’s happening every year,” Bergeron said. “It’s destroying the property. It’s being taken from us.”

Carol Aucoin of Belle River told officials Wednesday small business owners are being harmed by the persistent high water, and voiced her displeasure at the solution.

Morganza Spillway to be opened next week amid 'historic and unprecedented' flood fight
    Morganza Spillway to be opened next week amid 'historic and unprecedented' flood fight
    “Crawfish is out. That catfish, that’s out,” she said. “We’ve always been sacrificed for Baton Rouge.”

The inundation of freshwater from swollen rivers into shrimp fishing areas has rendered the shrimp season a “100 percent loss,” said Thomas Olander of St. Mary Parish, the chairman of the Louisiana Shrimp Association. He asked officials if there are any plans to help commercial fishermen in Iberia, St. Mary and Vermilion parishes.

Sen. Bret Allain said Jack Montoucet, secretary of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, is aware of the loss and working with the governor, but Allain wasn’t sure whether commercial fisheries losses are part of the governor’s emergency declaration, which would entitle fishermen to federal aid.

U.S. Rep. Ralph Abraham, R-Alto, said the White House is aware of the coming devastation associated with opening the Morganza Spillway and he spoke with the U.S. Department of Agriculture on Wednesday. Officials, he said, assured him crop insurance will cover the losses farmers suffer when the Morganza control structure is opened.

Thanks for the updates.

A couple of years ago we went on a scenic drive on MS hwy 1. Got on just south of Tunica, and drove to Greenville, MS and then back home.

Could not see the river due to a continues levee next to the river.

Besides cotton and soy bean farming which was huge, rice fields (to supply Uncle Ben's Rice in Greenville) and catfish farms were abundant.

Having that large, and continues levee IMHO would do 2 things:

1) cause increased river rise as it flowed south and didn't have an outlet over the northern MS delta
    2) push more water to the LA side, which didn't have a levee

Also having that levee in place at least north of Greenville will preserve a lot of farmland.

Here's hoping for the best to those in LA. It's all coming your way.
    "Wise Men Still Seek Him"-bumper sticker

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    ďThe rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Thank you all for this thread. My gosh, it just keeps getting worse...

My Great Great Grandfather on my mom's side drowned in the Great Flood of 1927 in the MS. Delta. That was before the levee was built. I know this area well, since Mom's whole family lived in Clarksdale, MS, except for her mom and dad. I still have cousins who live in Greenwood and Greenville, MS. Also have family in Morgan City, LA.
    Last edited by SouthernBreeze; 05-30-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    Sherree

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    My Great Great Grandfather on my mom's side drowned in the Great Flood of 1927 in the MS. Delta. That was before the levee was built. I know this area well, since Mom's whole family lived in Clarksdale, MS, except for her mom and dad. I still have cousins who live in Greenwood and Greenville, MS.
    I have some very hazy memories of "Gran" and "Gramps" (actually my aunt's inlaws) talking about it, they were probably born in the 1880s; but I was so little I didn't remember much except them talking about it in front of that giant wall to mark the waterlines.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I remember in '73 when the MS was going to crest above the flood stage in New Orleans, and they opened the spillway. Living in the French Quarter at the time and I was clueless so I don't even remember what happened, the Quarter is high and dry and I was not concerned. We walked over to the river and saw how high it was. Like I said I was clueless.

Judy

My concern is the the river is so high and running so fast that the levee's are "leaking" in over 40 spots in the New Orleans area. How much more can they take before they just start to erode and break thru ?? Most of South Louisiana is below sea level. You think Katrina's flooding was bad this will wipe out everything south of Baton rouge !!
    I've got my duck taped now what???
    God Bless
    MawMaw

This is minor in the overall scheme of things, but the excessive freshwater streaming into the Mississippi Sound and the Gulf of Mexico is destroying the saltwater fishing in the area. This is affecting both recreational and commercial fisheries and is also impacting fishing tourism in the area. Again, this is a relatively minor effect of the flooding (unless you're in the affected industries), but I mention it to illustrate how many areas of the economy are impacted by the flooding, including many smaller industries that most people don't think about. As a side note I will point out that I have been in the Gulf near the mouth of the Mississippi many times and crossed the freshwater-saltwater interface. Often, you can see the boundary as the clear blue Gulf water meets the river water. It looks like a vertical wall of billowing brown clouds meeting the blue water and you can sometimes see it a hundred feet down.

Best regards
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by mawmaw View Post
    My concern is the the river is so high and running so fast that the levee's are "leaking" in over 40 spots in the New Orleans area. How much more can they take before they just start to erode and break thru ?? Most of South Louisiana is below sea level. You think Katrina's flooding was bad this will wipe out everything south of Baton rouge !!
    I lived in Baton Rouge in 2011, about half a mile from the levee. I would go over to the levee every couple of days to check. They had sandboxes on top to extend the height of the levee. There was one particularly troubling spot, on a map it would be the intersection of Brightside Dr. and River Road (this is just south of LSU's main campus). There was significant bubbling at the bottom of the levee at that intersection. I don't know if they've reinforced it since then or not, but if that levee were to let go in that spot...the entirety of south Baton Rouge from LSU down to Bayou Manchac (which is where all the money and commerce is) would be inundated for a long time. Everything south of Highland Road would be an ocean.

Atchafalaya Flood Waters and the Old River Control Structure

Run time 15.00 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zIyHBuBjtA&t=83s

See how flooding along the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers are increasing the risk of failures on the control structures set in place control the flow of the mighty Mississippi and keep it from changing course down the Atchafalaya where it really wants to be and already would be without human intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Reliable View Post
    Atchafalaya Flood Waters and the Old River Control Structure

Run time 15.00 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zIyHBuBjtA&t=83s

See how flooding along the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers are increasing the risk of failures on the control structures set in place control the flow of the mighty Mississippi and keep it from changing course down the Atchafalaya where it really wants to be and already would be without human intervention.
    The narrator of the video Miranda (?) is quite knowledgeable about what is going on there. Sounds dire!
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    The narrator of the video Miranda (?) is quite knowledgeable about what is going on there. Sounds dire!
    It is, we're hearing about it up here in the local news now.

That was well worth the 15 minute time run. Dire doesn't even begin to cover it. If the Mississippi does change course there, it'll be truly a TEOTWAWKI event in our lifetime.

Impressive young lady.

DIRE circumstances.

And SOMEDAY DIRE won't come CLOSE to covering what will that year happen.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

The BEST in Life:
    To CRUSH your enemies.
    To see them driven before you
    To listen to the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    That was well worth the 15 minute time run. Dire doesn't even begin to cover it. If the Mississippi does change course there, it'll be truly a TEOTWAWKI event in our lifetime.
    So, how close is the river to redirecting, how soon do people have to get out? Seems like speculation at this point, but Miranda seems like she thinks TSWHTF this time. It reminds me of the "coulda's" if the dam broke here. The spillway was enough to get everyone's attention. Glad I live high and dry.
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

I was listening when the Army Core of Engineers suggested in the 1990s that EVERYTHING should be moved 2 miles away from the river basin except for a few actual port facilities, with a one-time buyout by the taxpayers to do this and create "The Mississippi National Parklands" or something because:

"There is no known technology that can actually prevent this from happening [keeping the river from flooding or jumping its banks if it floods enough]"

They were told to "revise their report" ...

They could revise the report but they could not revise reality; I hope this is not the year that reality decides to come roaring back but it could be - that is a very well put together video.

Like the Dam in California, things could come to a crises point and not tip over this time, or they could; we just have to wait and see.

This is a good video on the history of the two rivers:

A Tale of Two Rivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5DZ3yLMgyE

24 minutes long and worth the watch