Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Planting Companion Planting
+ Reply to Thread

Companion Planting

Well I seem to have lost my companion planting books... they'll show up again this fall after harvest, which is often the case.

So I thought I'd start a thread on companion planting. My neighbor gave me six more tomato plants.

Black Krim
    Purple Cherokee
    Sheboigan
    Yellow Pear (cherry tomato sized)
    a determinant roma ~ german red IIRC
    an indeterminant roma ~ don't remember the name

These are plants that will do well in large terracotta pots and don't grow too tall.

Say I wanted to plant radishes or lettuce in the pots with the tomatoes would this be okay? Seems to me there was something that we should never plant with tomatoes but I cannot remember what it is for the life of me.

The weather is still beautiful here today so I'm still planting! Supposed to rain heavily tonight though.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I can't remember any of the companion plant pairs, except wasn't there a book titled "Carrots Love Tomatoes"?

Not sure but I think maybe onions should not be planted with beans.

If anyone posts a list of companion plants here, you can bet I'll be writing out a copy of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    I can't remember any of the companion plant pairs, except wasn't there a book titled "Carrots Love Tomatoes"?

Not sure but I think maybe onions should not be planted with beans.

If anyone posts a list of companion plants here, you can bet I'll be writing out a copy of it!
    I hope they do and yes I do believe that’s the book I had and can’t find it in my office.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

packy
    cherokee purples will get T A L L . . . seems like I'm forever having to top mine. IMHO that's the best tomato going
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 (NKJV)

III

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedyman View Post
    packy
    cherokee purples will get T A L L . . . seems like I'm forever having to top mine. IMHO that's the best tomato going
    I agree and am willing to top my plants to get those beautiful fruits!

Packy... yellow pear is also indeterminate... likely to get 6-8 feet tall if you don't prune it heavily. I've seen it top a 5 foot tall tomato cage and thrn grow outward 4 feet! Talk about a jungle!

As far as plants to avoid planting near tomatoes, cole crops csn stunt their growth, and fennel and dill should be avoided. I woukd also say that legumex (beans and peas) might be better avoided, because they fix nitrogen in the doil, and that could give you huge, lush tomato plants with few (or very late) fruits.

Summerthyme

If I remember right, tomatoes shouldn't be planted next to anything in the cabbage family, but they grow well next to carrots and basil. I'm not sure about radishes, though.

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Packy... yellow pear is also indeterminate... likely to get 6-8 feet tall if you don't prune it heavily. I've seen it top a 5 foot tall tomato cage and thrn grow outward 4 feet! Talk about a jungle!

As far as plants to avoid planting near tomatoes, cole crops csn stunt their growth, and fennel and dill should be avoided. I woukd also say that legumex (beans and peas) might be better avoided, because they fix nitrogen in the doil, and that could give you huge, lush tomato plants with few (or very late) fruits.

Summerthyme

I’ll top those plants, I learned a while back that that’s how you get more blossoms for more fruit.

So if my cole crops and beans are in separate beds, but near the tomatoes this is okay? Dill will be in a separate box with other herbs.

I just found my companion planting book. I was hoping I could post some of the more common parings, but the whole thing is far too complicated.

I really hope you can find that book and soon. I was right about not planting onions and beans together, but there were lots of things that have already made me change a few plans I had.

This book is called "Carrots Love Tomatoes and Roses Love Garlic". Author is :Louise Riotte. The book is crammed with much more than just companion planting, including things not to plant together.

Now I have to call my sister and tell her she should not have planted her cucumbers next to her potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinhouse View Post
    I just found my companion planting book. I was hoping I could post some of the more common parings, but the whole thing is far too complicated.

I really hope you can find that book and soon. I was right about not planting onions and beans together, but there were lots of things that have already made me change a few plans I had.

This book is called "Carrots Love Tomatoes and Roses Love Garlic". Author is :Louise Riotte. The book is crammed with much more than just companion planting, including things not to plant together.

Now I have to call my sister and tell her she should not have planted her cucumbers next to her potatoes.

That's the book I have as well, now to figure out where I put the silly thing.

Here's a couple of charts for you all.

Itís pretty simple: Green means GO, and red means STOP! If the chart says green, the plants work well together. If the chart says red, the plants donít work well together.

and...

and one more...

"Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

Who is Q?

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    Here's a couple of charts for you all.

Itís pretty simple: Green means GO, and red means STOP! If the chart says green, the plants work well together. If the chart says red, the plants donít work well together.
    Thank you Vicki! What does yellow mean?

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Thank you Vicki! What does yellow mean?
    I plant carrots and tomatoes near each other. When I grabbed the chart I didn't see this below. I wish I could of added it to the above but here it is.
    Attached Images
    "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." Hippocrates

Who is Q?

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    I plant carrots and tomatoes near each other. When I grabbed the chart I didn't see this below. I wish I could of added it to the above but here it is.
    Thank you!