Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

SOFT NEWS The small city of Franklin VA (SE VA) has been ranked as the WORST CITY in Virginia!
+ Reply to Thread

The small city of Franklin VA (SE VA) has been ranked as the WORST CITY in Virginia!

I live within an easy drive of Franklin.

GTR, RE: most of its problems

Not a place where one should open a business nor put down roots.

***FAIR USE CITED***

●●●●●

FRANKLIN, Va. (WAVY) -- Crime and unemployment are down. Businesses are coming to downtown. Franklin City Manager Amanda Jarratt says her's is a city on the rebound, and certainly not the "worst to live in" as published this week in USA Today.

The investment analysis firm 24/7 Wall Street compiled the rankings, one city for each state, based on more than two dozen criteria. Jarratt says it uses outdated information.

"It's not timely. It doesn't accurately reflect what is happening in Franklin today."

In the nine years since the closing of International Paper, which was then Franklin's largest employer, Jarratt says unemployment steadily dropped.

"We had an unemployment rate in 2010 of over 12%, but now we're down to 4%."

And so is violent crime.

"Firearm incidents greatly decreased, as are burglaries and robberies," Jarratt said.

With a population of just 8,500, Franklin had one murder in 2017, and one in 2018, eight violent sexual assaults in 2017, nine in 2018.

Meanwhile, business owners are investing in downtown. Katrina Sykes Manley decided last July to open her interior design business Spoken Interior Homes on Main Street. She says she sees a positive change.

"Yes, we did go through a rough spell with the mill shutting down and the jobs leaving, but it's coming back. And we're seeing it come back. I live about a quarter-mile from here. My kids go to city schools."

Not everyone who lives in Franklin paints a rosy picture, including a woman who gave her name only as Kathy. She lives in an older home along High Street.

"A lot of the homes are going vacant," she said. "We're trying to renovate ours and we want our property to stay up, but because of the fact that the town is going down, we're afraid to invest money in it."

With industrial contractor Repair Tech getting ready to invest more than a million dollars to expand its presence at Pretlow Industrial Park near US Route 58, Jarratt says the rating as worst in Virginia is unfair.

"This is unfortunate, it can definitely hurt our efforts to recruit new businesses here, but we'll overcome it."

Jarratt says Franklin is also working on poverty and nutrition programs for its residents. The rating "worst to live in" for other states included some much larger cities - including St. Louis, Cleveland, and Memphis.

http://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/...ing/2004192473
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

Well, that didn't take long.

Did you know?
    The population density in Franklin is 435% higher than Virginia.
    The median age in Franklin is 2% higher than Virginia.
    In Franklin 38.35% of the population is White.
    In Franklin 58.60% of the population is Black or African American.
    In Franklin 0.39% of the population is Asian.
    Franklin, VA Population & Demographics
    www.areavibes.com/franklin-va/demographics/
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

The small city of Franklin VA (SE VA) has been ranked as the WORST CITY in Virginia!
    There's always some place worse, but people do not know what "worse" is. If you're happy in the "worse" place, how would you know what "better" is? Ever lived in better but A-holes will tell you you are in the worse place! Wherever you are there you are. The grass isn't always greener, blah, blah. Ponder that.
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Well, that didn't take long.

Did you know?
    The population density in Franklin is 435% higher than Virginia.
    The median age in Franklin is 2% higher than Virginia.
    In Franklin 38.35% of the population is White.
    In Franklin 58.60% of the population is Black or African American.
    In Franklin 0.39% of the population is Asian.
    Franklin, VA Population & Demographics
    www.areavibes.com/franklin-va/demographics/
    OP:
    Jarratt says Franklin is also working on poverty and nutrition programs for its residents. The rating "worst to live in" for other states included some much larger cities - including St. Louis, Cleveland, and Memphis.

ALL of which are NIHH - with apologies to the hand wringers of course
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

Worse according to whom? Maybe for elite lefties.
    I've been to Franklin; and it's not what I'd call a city. It's a good-sized rural town though. In that area, the people tend to be more neighborly and have a sense of community versus someplace like Norfolk.

These kinds of labelling, categorizing stories always have a lot of uninformed, perception-biased, judgement behind them, that is far from the truth.

Here's a link to the USA Today story, so you can see if you live in the worst city in your state.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tate/39465051/

I don't normally do these kinds of things, because what a mag. may mean as worst, or best, and the algorithm they use, isn't necessarily mine.

Like a town with 2 people in it, and one murders the other, means a murder rate of 50%. If you ask the person left, it's the greatest place on earth. Now.

I was stationed at Ft. Hood, TX 72-75. During that time period: Killeen (the local town) had the most murders per capita. The most robberies per capita. And the least number of home fires per capita. In the USA.

Makes it sound worse than Chicago.
    "Wise Men Still Seek Him"-bumper sticker

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Georgetown SC was on our top 5 places to retire. We loved the historic quaint downtown. The Episcopal church has a history going back to the Revolutionary War when the English gained control and used the pews as a stable.

We never found a nice neighborhood and everyone we met lived 10-20 miles away. It's very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    There's always some place worse, but people do not know what "worse" is. If you're happy in the "worse" place, how would you know what "better" is? Ever lived in better but A-holes will tell you you are in the worse place! Wherever you are there you are. The grass isn't always greener, blah, blah. Ponder that.
    I'm in Franklin often, and between poor government and demographics, it needs a lot of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedyman View Post
    OP:

ALL of which are NIHH - with apologies to the hand wringers of course
    Plenty of gibsmedats and associated problems.
    www.amren.com

Bad enough is bad enough. Doesn't have to be WORST if it is bad enough.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

The smell of the paper mill doesn't help either. I always hated driving through Franklin, Va. or Plymouth, NC. Something about that smell from paper mills is worse than a big pig farm to me.

It does seem things have to be considered in a relative manner..........what applies to one group of folks in one town, may not apply to another group in the same town. Chinatown usa for example..... they vary, as does the food quality..... if you found the love of your life, had kids a job friends and a lake nearby, you may consider the murder a week just how things are, over in that side of town.....no personal impact.

It's still better than the entire state of California.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogizorch View Post
    It's still better than the entire state of California.
    I like where I live. Some here don't and I suggest that they leave if they're that unhappy. Someone is always bitching about snakes, deer, fire, coyotes, mountain lions. You'll find bad no matter where you go. I said this here before that my sister moved to Texas and she tells me all the time that she thinks she's still in California. I don't like the politics here any more than I would living in Seattle, Portland, Arizona, on and on. Not all that glitters is gold. I'm riding the horse until it drops dead. BTW Yogizorch, what State do you live in?
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Franklin VA also has very high electric and water bills. A Hampton Roads news station, www.wavy10.com and the local non-leftist newspaper www.tidewaternews.com have multiple stories relating to these high bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
    In the nine years since the closing of International Paper, which was then Franklin's largest employer, Jarratt says unemployment steadily dropped.

"We had an unemployment rate in 2010 of over 12%, but now we're down to 4%."
    As always the stats might not be as great as they look. Unemployment might have dropped due to people leaving, thus there were less people unemployed. Also, even if more jobs did come, what is their pay and benefits compared to the jobs that were lost?

Franklin, VA appears to be yet another small town in the middle of nowhere that will likely go nowhere. Too far from any major urban area to see suburban growth and not located along a major interstate. The tend is going to continue to be urbanization. We have two threads on the main page this morning about people being alone. People will flock to where there is opportunity and people to interact with. One big complaint about the small city Midwest is that there is nothing to do there. People now want activities, from theater, to meetup groups for eating, hiking, working out, etc.. Urban areas also offer options. Don't like your current gym, there is likely a few more options nearby. Same goes for housing options.

Didn't Franklin have a devastating flood due to a hurricane about 20 years ago? Where all the businesses were under water?

Am I mistaken?
    Gold is the Money of Kings
    Silver is the Money of Gentlemen
    Barter is the money of Peasants
    But Debt is the money of Slaves

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Here's a link to the USA Today story, so you can see if you live in the worst city in your state.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tate/39465051/
    Lol, Orono, Maine? What a joke! That town is the flagship university campus. Of course the unemployment rate is higher there. Thousands and thousands of unemployed students live there. Drinking and partying so I imagine there is going to be some violence once in a while, but “lack of culture”? They have constant ebb and tide of concerts and plays, museum on campus, never ending SOcial Justice drama. Hooo boy. Lots of places worse than that place in Maine. Like how about Lewiston. Thanks to the Little Somalia and the scads of blacks up from the cities to runs drugs and human trafficking? But nooooo!
    ” Watch ye therefore and pray always that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man”
    Luke 21:36

COLLAPSE NOW: avoid the rush

In Kansas it is Arkansas City, not surprising at all. I live 1 town north of there, driving through you get the lack of caring about the people and town. Some houses are beautiful mansions, but most are run down and just need to be bulldozed.

In Mississippi, it's Yazoo City. I would have guessed any town or city in the MS. Delta region. They're all pretty poor there. A larger population of blacks live in this particular area of Mississippi.
    Sherree

Quote Originally Posted by Milk-maid View Post
    Didn't Franklin have a devastating flood due to a hurricane about 20 years ago? Where all the businesses were under water?

Am I mistaken?
    No, you’re not mistaken. The old City Hall building was under water as well as the rest of the downtown businesses. The town council replaced it with a huge monstrosity that is more suited to someplace like Norfolk instead of a little town like Franklin. Which, I believe, is the reason for the astronomical light bills.

I was born and raised in Franklin but it’s not the place it was even 20 years ago when I moved. Lots of gang violence and assorted drug problems. I have an elderly friend that lives on Clay Street and she was telling me the police were going around telling residents to make sure their doors were locked at all times.

The demographics have changed a lot over the last couple of decades.
    Visit me on Etsy: ModernMaille

Quote Originally Posted by Milk-maid View Post

Am I mistaken?
    Yes, they did. And it'll happen again.