Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH The curse of diabetes
+ Reply to Thread

The curse of diabetes

The agony of being an out of control diabetic.

Glucometer readings of 35 to 600, since last Thursday.

Sometimes I do fall asleep without taking the shot,
    or eat something that I shouldnt, however in the past,
    this has never resulted in such high blood sugars.

I am doomed, doomed I say doomed. Diabetes is rampant
    on my Mom’s side of the family, for several generations.
    However, I fully believe that all of the POS statins that I have
    taken for several decades, absolutely burned out my pancreas,
    and gave me diabetes. None of my siblings have diabetes,
    as none of them have ever taken POS statins.

It was 49 this morning, which is a good glucose for me.
    Last night before hitting the sack it was 115,
    and I took a 10 unit shot. If I had not of taken the shot,
    it would have been 250 this morning, due to the dawn effect.

A shot of less than 10 units, doesnt seem to have much effect,
    so I took the smallest shot that has usually worked.

I am about half dead. No energy to do anything,
    it has been difficult to even walk.

Ask me anything.

As a very pessimistic, conspiracy theorist/doomer/prepper,
    I always look for the absolute worse in everything.

If something bad can happen it will,
    and something bad will happen, before something good.

Please be safe everyone, and please arm up.

AVOID THE GROID/GHOUL
    In honour of the brave Whites in South Africa,
    as they fight against their genocide.

I pray for the White race in South Africa,
    with every prayer, and so should you,
    if you pray.

Regards to all deplorables.

Nowski
    "Read everything, listen to everyone, believe absolutely nothing,
    unless you can prove it with your own research." Milton William Cooper

"Life is a glass, half empty, of spoiled milk, sitting in a bed of thorns." Nowski

I will have to return to this thread later...in a hurry right now.

Please see:

https://hydrationfoundation.org/

my thread on iodine here at this forum

and look up Dr. Ian Smith's intermittent fasting technique (other medical professionals discuss this, too) on how to revive the pancreas.

No curses allowed! Meditating on the Scripture (frequently) is: "thank you, Jesus that by your stripes I am Healed."

(puter battery low here...back later...)

To your health! Blessings. Over and out!
    Last edited by TammyinWI; 05-18-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    22 Whoever does not love the Lord—a curse on him! Maranatha—Our Lord, come! 23 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you.
    (1 Corinthians 16)

I'm so sorry to read about your health problem, Nowski!

I'm hoping that you will find an answer to these wild swings....perhaps someone on the board can provide a resource to go to.

Might want to look into an insulin pump. It has helped my sister tremendously!
    Sherry in GA

Jerusalem Artichokes....highest in natural insulin....grow like weeds..
    they work...ie Edgar Cayce...please take a look and heal soon!

Nowski,
    Don't know what to say other than I'll say prayers you get that sugar under control.

Is it possible your insulin needs have changed; and the doc might try another type of insulin on you?

Dr. Jason Fung
    Dr. Erik Berg
    Dr. Pearlmutter.

Dr. Fung is the most relevant, the other two provide good background.
    All three can be found on the net - books, YT channels, YT interviews, etc.

Yes, lots of dietary tweaks like the fasting or low carb, seem helpful.

Cayce also recommended an ounce <?> of welches cold pressed grape juice in a half glass of water a half hour prior to meals as a BG stabalizer. Many other techniques have been found helpful, and Im sure posters will be dropping in to share them with you.

Take good care of yourself.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

MD Nutritionals Chromium Plus

High strength chromium with important co-factors including vanadium & alpha lipoic acid

Chromium Plus contains a unique form of chromium polynicotinate, along with alpha lipoic acid, inositol & vanadium to assist healthy blood sugar metabolism.

MD NUTRITIONALS IS SOLD AS A PRACTITIONER PRODUCT IN AUSTRALIA AND IS PRESCRIBED BY EITHER DOCTORS OR NATUROPATHS. PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE CHECKED WITH YOUR PRACTITIONER BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT.

Ingredients:

Each Vcap® Contains:

Chromium polynicotinate 2000µg

Equiv. to chromium 250µg

Alpha lipoic acid 200mg

Inositol 100mg

Zinc glycinate 53mg

Equiv. to zinc 15mg

Vanadium aminoate 100mg

Equiv. to vanadium 1mg

Contains no gluten, soy, dairy, yeast, wheat, animal products, artificial flavours, colours or preservatives.

https://www.australianvitamins.com/p...d-nutritionals

Prayers for blood sugar/insulin resolution. A friend is going through very similar circumstances, my heart goes out to you.

I love your posts and your insights, I hope and pray for your health to improve quickly.
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

First of all, are you type 1 or type 2 diabetic?
    Second, what kind of insulin are you taking?

10 units of regular insulin isn't much.

As far as statins interfering with the pancreas and insulin utilization, there is another drug called glyburide - alongside statins suppresses the insulin response problem.

But why end up taking yet another drug? Each one has side effects and pretty soon you'll be taking drugs to counteract the side effects of other drugs.
    Why not look at the KETO diet and eliminate most if not all the drugs?

I'm Type 2 and used to take close to 150 units of both short and long acting insulin.
    I now take NO insulin and no blood pressure meds (I used to take Benicar).

Finally go see an endocrinologist. You saying 45 is somewhat normal BG for you is not typical of any type 2 diabetic unless they way overshoot their insulin. That's dangerous territory.

I can't speak for what is best for you, only what worked for me, and that was keto and fasting.
    I would recommend you get keto adapted first and then look into intermittent fasting.
    Both will decrease your insulin resistance and stabilize your BG to a low and normal level if you are Type2, and intermittent fasting is much easier to do for 36 to 48 hours once your body is using ketones.
    “I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”
    D. H. Lawrence

Completely agree with Terry!

Summerthyme

Type 1 or 2? If type 2, consider a high fat and low carb diet. I've seen it work.

I don't know anyone with type 1 to offer any advice. Just my prayers.

My hubby is Type 2. Completely controlled with intermittent fasting and low carb! Check out Dr. Fung and Eric Berg! You can do it! (This is not advice for Type 1)

One thing to remember about statins, they make the plaque in your arteries more pliable which will reduce your chances of having a plaque fracture causing Cardiac Thrombosis. You will definitely need to go through different ones to find one that doesn't make you feel horrible.

I don't take insulin anymore, I started the grilled and green dietary method before they even were promoting it. It worked. Got me off insulin and just treat it with meds.
    Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon· hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds!

Please take Terry's post to heart and make an appointment with an endocrinologist right away.

At this point, this is not something that you should be trying to treat yourself: it's out of control.

Once you get stabilized, then you can try herbs, work on your diet, but you need immediate help.

Please go! The longer you leave the problem untreated, the more likely it is that you will do unfixable damage, and the last thing you want is to be left blinded, weak, and living in a "facility."

After you have your situation under control with traditional medicine (your life and quality of life might depend on this), then consider investigating Black Seed Oil for long-term assistance:

Some articles:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2018/8104165/
    Black Seed Thymoquinone Improved Insulin Secretion, Hepatic Glycogen Storage, and Oxidative Stress in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Male Wistar Rats

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14690013
    PUBMED: "Partial regeneration/proliferation of the beta-cells in the islets of Langerhans by Nigella sativa L. in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats."

This is real and has much research behind it.

i hear ya, Nowski. i have LADA diabetes (autoimmune - both type 1 & type 2! talk about the pits!). i take 70/30 humulin qwik pen and also metformin. some days 15 units (2x per day) will be perfect, other days 15 units is way too much and i have to keep eating to keep my sugar up.... it’s really helped me to talk to a certified diabetic educator who works in endocrinologists office. i test my sugar a lot at the moment. it’s so important to stay on top of it. it really is. eventually i’d like a pump and continuous glucose monitor like my aunt has. but even she gets incidents of lows... but can take care of ut right away...

please take care!

Welcome, Quiet Man.

Nowski, I’ll be praying for you.

My husband has the same type of diabetes problem, Nowski. He's been doing a Keto diet with intermittent fasting and it's helped him quite a bit. He's also on an injectable medicine called Victoza, not insulin.

If you are interested in checking out a keto diet, Dr. Berg has a lot of good solid advice: https://www.drberg.com/

Poor hubby can't figure out why he's having such issues with diabetes. Not indicated by genetics, but he did drink a LOT of Mt. Dew back in the day when he was working. Corn syrup isn't our friend and it's in just about EVERYTHING!

Hope you can get your sugar levels stabilized.
    And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. Luke 21:28

Preparing a People to Meet Jesus

Revelation 14:6-12

Click here for a FREE book - Absolutely NO Obligation:

http://www.3asdchurch.org/free.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ears2hear View Post
    My hubby is Type 2. Completely controlled with intermittent fasting and low carb! Check out Dr. Fung and Eric Berg! You can do it! (This is not advice for Type 1)
    Yeeeetttthhhhh . . . type 2 here but completely controlled same way as your hubby. (I do a "no diet day" every two weeks or so without any consequences.)
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

Quote Originally Posted by bev View Post
    Welcome, Quiet Man.
    Thank you kindly, Bev.

Type 1 diabetics can't live without insulin. Type 2 diabetics can live without taking insulin. Diet and exercise IMHO are the only 2 ways to control it without meds. TerryK is right about what he said about the Keto diet. Also, these foods can also help lower blood sugar. I don't know about the Jerusalem Artichoke lowering blood sugar as someone suggested. It is high in inulin (not insulin). Here's some natural foods/supplements that help:

Produce insulin, naturally
    By - TNN
    Created: Sep 23, 2017, 00:00 IST

We hardly think of pancreas as an important endocrine organ unless it starts to create a problem. Pancreas has two important roles to play:

a) Make insulin for blood sugar control.
    b) Create enzymes for the metabolism of fats and proteins.

Malfunction of pancreas could result in a variety of problems - the most common being diabetes. Fortunately, nature has given us some foods that boost the beta cells of pancreas to produce insulin and help alleviate diabetes, of course, coupled with right lifestyle changes.

Red cabbage

Cabbage, especially red, is a boon for cancer and diabetes patients. The natural red pigments of red cabbage, betalains, helps lower blood sugar levels and boosts insulin production.

Lady’s finger/okra

Packed with dietary fibre, it helps in stabilising blood sugar levels, and aids in enhancing production of insulin as well as its increased secretion. Also, their seeds are full of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors that prevent starches from converting to glucose. One can slice okra pods, soak in water overnight and can consume the water next day.

Bittergourd/Bitter melon

Also known as karela, it may taste quite bitter but has the capacity to stimulate pancreas (an action perhaps similar to that of sulfonylurea drugs). This property can be attributed to the three substances these veggies contain: charantin, vicine and a polypeptide-p. Bittermelon tea, juice or a curry preparation are some ways to consume it. A cup of fresh bitter gourd juice mixed with 1 tbsp amla juice (gooseberry) can enable natural insulin secretion.

Fenugreek seeds

Fenugreek is widely known and used, but it’s the seeds that contain trigonelline, a plant alkaloid known to reduce blood sugar levels. They can be used in various forms - like a powder of fenugreek seeds soaked in hot water to reduce your rising blood sugar levels, overnight soaked and sprouted seeds can be added to salads or idli/dosa batter.

Curcumin

Turmeric extracts are known to act directly on pancreatic beta cells to help produce insulin normally, by inhibiting phosphodiesterase activity.

Cinnamon (Srilankan)

This barky spice not only makes cells sensitive to insulin but also works similar to natural insulin produced by our pancreas. Sprinkle some cinnamon in your meals, tea, or try a cinnamon supplement.

Disclaimer: Before trying any remedy, it’s advisable to bring it to your doctor’s notice – as certain foods can interact with the medications

Insulin plant (Jarul)

Okay, so here’s the most interesting food. As the name suggests, this plant — commonly-grown in South India — helps in boosting

insulin production naturally by activating beta cells of pancreas. The corosolic acid present in the leaves induces insulin production and thus controls hyperglycaemia in the blood. That’s not all, it’s also hypolipidemic, diuretic, antioxidant, anti-microbial and anti-cancerous. Chew 1-2 leaves every morning.

Other foods like flaxseeds, grapes, aloevera gel juice, are also known to repair beta cells and help in insulin production naturally.

By Luke Coutinho
    MD, alternative medicine

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/60794768.cms

IMHO besides diet, walking, walking and more walking will bring blood sugars down.
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    Type 1 diabetics can't live without insulin. Type 2 diabetics can live without taking insulin. Diet and exercise IMHO are the only 2 ways to control it without meds. TerryK is right about what he said about the Keto diet. Also, these foods can also help lower blood sugar. I don't know about the Jerusalem Artichoke lowering blood sugar as someone suggested. It is high in inulin (not insulin). Here's some natural foods/supplements that help:

Produce insulin, naturally
    By - TNN
    Created: Sep 23, 2017, 00:00 IST

We hardly think of pancreas as an important endocrine organ unless it starts to create a problem. Pancreas has two important roles to play:

a) Make insulin for blood sugar control.
    b) Create enzymes for the metabolism of fats and proteins.

Malfunction of pancreas could result in a variety of problems - the most common being diabetes. Fortunately, nature has given us some foods that boost the beta cells of pancreas to produce insulin and help alleviate diabetes, of course, coupled with right lifestyle changes.

Red cabbage

Cabbage, especially red, is a boon for cancer and diabetes patients. The natural red pigments of red cabbage, betalains, helps lower blood sugar levels and boosts insulin production.

Lady’s finger/okra

Packed with dietary fibre, it helps in stabilising blood sugar levels, and aids in enhancing production of insulin as well as its increased secretion. Also, their seeds are full of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors that prevent starches from converting to glucose. One can slice okra pods, soak in water overnight and can consume the water next day.

Bittergourd/Bitter melon

Also known as karela, it may taste quite bitter but has the capacity to stimulate pancreas (an action perhaps similar to that of sulfonylurea drugs). This property can be attributed to the three substances these veggies contain: charantin, vicine and a polypeptide-p. Bittermelon tea, juice or a curry preparation are some ways to consume it. A cup of fresh bitter gourd juice mixed with 1 tbsp amla juice (gooseberry) can enable natural insulin secretion.

Fenugreek seeds

Fenugreek is widely known and used, but it’s the seeds that contain trigonelline, a plant alkaloid known to reduce blood sugar levels. They can be used in various forms - like a powder of fenugreek seeds soaked in hot water to reduce your rising blood sugar levels, overnight soaked and sprouted seeds can be added to salads or idli/dosa batter.

Curcumin

Turmeric extracts are known to act directly on pancreatic beta cells to help produce insulin normally, by inhibiting phosphodiesterase activity.

Cinnamon (Srilankan)

This barky spice not only makes cells sensitive to insulin but also works similar to natural insulin produced by our pancreas. Sprinkle some cinnamon in your meals, tea, or try a cinnamon supplement.

Disclaimer: Before trying any remedy, it’s advisable to bring it to your doctor’s notice – as certain foods can interact with the medications

Insulin plant (Jarul)

Okay, so here’s the most interesting food. As the name suggests, this plant — commonly-grown in South India — helps in boosting

insulin production naturally by activating beta cells of pancreas. The corosolic acid present in the leaves induces insulin production and thus controls hyperglycaemia in the blood. That’s not all, it’s also hypolipidemic, diuretic, antioxidant, anti-microbial and anti-cancerous. Chew 1-2 leaves every morning.

Other foods like flaxseeds, grapes, aloevera gel juice, are also known to repair beta cells and help in insulin production naturally.

By Luke Coutinho
    MD, alternative medicine

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/60794768.cms

IMHO besides diet, walking, walking and more walking will bring blood sugars down.
    Berberine......read all about it.
    Sow the Wind....Reap the Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by ears2hear View Post
    I also thought that a low carb diet would help for diabetes.

Low carb is harder then it looks because of the restrictions on what you can eat. Basically no grains items, no sugar, no potatos, and a lot of restrictions on fruit due to the sugars they contain. If you go this route start trying to get your carbs under 50 per day. And remember the carbs you count is total carbs minus fiber carbs. I aim for around 50 carbs a day except for 1 day a week where I eat 1 normal meal.

You get used to eating this way and can get around the restrictions for things like gravy which I love which can be made from almond or coconut flour. I don't know how the keto folks do it aiming for less then 20 carbs a day.

Take care of your health and its not to late to start.

Good luck

tbd

I am another T2 diabetic who controls my BG with keto and intermittent fasting. I am on no diabetic meds, and am still loosing weight.

I really love the keto diet, and have found many recipes and tweeks to get around the dietary restrictions. Many of these tweeks are very good, and make avoiding high carb foods much less of a problem. My biggest problem has been keeping protein low enough. If I get my protein too high, it raises my BG.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com
    JackiGossSpecial-Tees.com

Listening to a radio show, this morning ( naturopathic Dr.) it was mentioned that for Diabetics, cinnamon extract is excellent. Their product gives this info:

Applications for Health Improvement Supports healthy glucose metabolism
    Supports healthy blood lipid levels already in the normal range
    Maintains and improves healthy nerve function
    120 Vegetarian Capsules

Definitely something you would want to work with your Dr. about, though.

Yes, and make sure that it's really all cinnamon, as I read quite a while back that some manufacturers label it as such, and it is a cheap substitute...oh goodie...I found a recent article on this:

Here’s How to Recognize Fake Cinnamon and Buy the Right One

March 7, 2019

Since ancient times, cinnamon is one important spice used for both culinary and medicinal purposes. But…You must be very careful because not all cinnamon is good and real one. Here’s how to differentiate between fake and real cinnamon.

However, there is a significant difference between the true Ceylon cinnamon and the Cassia cinnamon which is usually sold in most of the grocery stores.

The good one is rich in powerful health benefits while the bad one can seriously harm the overall health especially the liver.

How to Differentiate Between Fake and Real Cinnamon?

First of all, both of these types of cinnamon come from different species of tree. The real cinnamon comes from India, Sri Lanka, Brazil, Madagascar or the Caribbean while the fake one comes from Indonesia, China, and Vietnam.

Second, these types differ in flavor and appearance. The store sold cinnamon is characterized by dark reddish brown color and spicy flavor while the real one has a lighter color and sweet, mild and delicious flavor.

Third, the most striking difference between these types of cinnamon is the compound’s content known as coumarin.

The Ceylon cinnamon contains about 0.017 g/kg while Cassia cinnamon contains 2.15 -6.97 g/kg of coumarin.

Coumarin is a potent anticoagulant and blood thinner, and it is not recommended for people who use medications such as Warfarin. Along with its effects on the blood, if consumed above the recommended dose, it can harm the liver. The tolerable daily intake is about 0.1 mg/kg of body weight.

So, a person who weighs 68 kg should have about 6.8 mg per day. Because 1 gram of cinnamon contains 2.15-6.97 mg of this substance, you can consume about 1/5 of a tsp per day.

In order to provide the needed health benefits, take more of this but make sure it is the Ceylon type of cinnamon.

How to Choose a High-Quality Cinnamon?

1. Take a look at the cinnamon label. Choose the one labeled as:

•True cinnamon
    •Ceylon Cinnamon
    •Cinnamomum Verum

2. Make sure you buy organic cinnamon in order to avoid the contamination with preservatives and pesticides.

3. In the case of cinnamon bark, the real cinnamon curls in a circle while the fake one appears in a two-curled stick.

4. The real one is lighter, powdery and fluffy in contrast to the conventional cinnamon.

5. The real one is usually more expensive. However, this may not be the best indication, but it can help a lot.

The Health Benefits of True Cinnamon

Once we discussed the differences between the two types of cinnamon and how to choose the best product, it’s time to discuss the health benefits of this incredible spice.

1. Cinnamon is rich in manganese, a trace mineral which plays an important role in metabolizing carbs and fats and maintaining healthy bones.

It is also high in fiber which improves digestion, calcium which strengthens bones and iron which promotes energy production. So, it abounds with potent nutritive properties.

2. Cinnamon abounds in powerful antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral qualities which protect the immune system from flu and colds.

3. According to research, the anti-inflammatory properties of cinnamon can protect against neurodegenerative disease including Alzheimer’s disease. This disease significantly increases its rates in North America, so it is highly important to obtain the protective benefits of this incredible spice.

4. If you suffer from insulin resistance, prediabetes, Type 2 diabetes and PCOS, cinnamon will definitely help you a lot. Some studies have shown that ½ tsp of cinnamon a day can reduce the spiking glucose levels, blood pressure, and HbA1C by improving the insulin response.

5. Cinnamon can prevent the early signs of aging due to the powerful effects on the oxidative and inflammatory compounds in the body.

How to Get the Most Out of Cinnamon?

Here are some recipes that will help you get the most out of this incredible spice. Enjoy!

Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Cinnamon

One serving

You need the following ingredients:

•1 tbsp. of butter, coconut oil or ghee
    •½ chopped sweet potato
    •1 tbsp. of diced yellow or red onion
    •1 tsp of cinnamon (Those who love cinnamon can add even more)
    •¼ tsp of cayenne
    •Sea salt for taste

Instructions:

1. In a frying pan, heat some oil on medium heat. The entire bottom of the frying pan should be covered.

2. Add onions, sweet potatoes, cayenne, cinnamon, and salt.

3. With a spatula, stir the mixture well.

4. Cover it with occasional stirring.

5. When the hash browns are soft, remove the cover and fry it quickly in a little hot fat for a minute.

6. Remove the pan from heat and serve.

Topping
    •Eggs – poached, scrambled, over easy
    •Seeds and Nuts – hemp and walnuts are an excellent source of protein
    •Ground meat – chicken, turkey, bison, beef. Add some of your favorite spices and herbs to some of these types of meat.

We hope this article will help you make a difference between the two types of cinnamon and you won’t be deceived to buy some fake one.

https://justhomeremedies.com/heres-h...the-right-one/
    22 Whoever does not love the Lord—a curse on him! Maranatha—Our Lord, come! 23 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you.
    (1 Corinthians 16)

Quote Originally Posted by Signwatcher View Post
    My husband has the same type of diabetes problem, Nowski. He's been doing a Keto diet with intermittent fasting and it's helped him quite a bit. He's also on an injectable medicine called Victoza, not insulin.

If you are interested in checking out a keto diet, Dr. Berg has a lot of good solid advice: https://www.drberg.com/

Poor hubby can't figure out why he's having such issues with diabetes. Not indicated by genetics, but he did drink a LOT of Mt. Dew back in the day when he was working. Corn syrup isn't our friend and it's in just about EVERYTHING!

Hope you can get your sugar levels stabilized.
    Corn syrup is our enemy, as is all gmo corn-anything, but high fructose corn syrup trashes sugar levels: as does aspartame and sucralose! Don't believe the LIES about those artificial sweeteners, which reek havoc on the body big-time!
    (1 Corinthians 16)

My hubby is insulin dependent about a year ago he had a low, crashes his truck, broken ribs cuts and bruises we were very fortunate. His lows would happen fast so he couldn’t tell, I researched and found Dexcom, small sensor he wears on his side sends his sugar level to his IPhone and Apple Watch every 5 minutes, he is alerted to the lows and highs and he now can see how long his novolog injection takes to level his sugar and which candy works the best to bring up his sugar. It’s a game changer for us. He works construction and it could be deadly for a low at the wrong time. We are also fortunate that his insurance pays for all of it.
    agmfan3
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I am another T2 diabetic who controls my BG with keto and intermittent fasting. I am on no diabetic meds, and am still loosing weight.

I really love the keto diet, and have found many recipes and tweeks to get around the dietary restrictions. Many of these tweeks are very good, and make avoiding high carb foods much less of a problem. My biggest problem has been keeping protein low enough. If I get my protein too high, it raises my BG.

Jacki
    I have been praying for Nowski since I read this thread yesterday. My prayers go up for you, Jacki, and all the contributors to this board (not just this thread!).

There have been some great posts on this thread...wow! Thanks everybody!

May as well add here: I could not go without potatoes, as I feel SO good after eating them, especially if with herbs and spices, and olive oil.

Re: protein...very, very vital...that must be frustrating...are there any protein sources (eggs?) that you can consume without that concern???
    (1 Corinthians 16)

Quote Originally Posted by agmfan3 View Post
    My hubby is insulin dependent about a year ago he had a low, crashes his truck, broken ribs cuts and bruises we were very fortunate. His lows would happen fast so he couldn’t tell, I researched and found Dexcom, small sensor he wears on his side sends his sugar level to his IPhone and Apple Watch every 5 minutes, he is alerted to the lows and highs and he now can see how long his novolog injection takes to level his sugar and which candy works the best to bring up his sugar. It’s a game changer for us. He works construction and it could be deadly for a low at the wrong time. We are also fortunate that his insurance pays for all of it.
    Good info - and mentioning the Dexcom tech that lets one monitor blood sugar levels without having to draw blood/prick the fingers.

See below Google search for more info:

https://www.google.com/search?&q=Dexcom

According to Dexcom's website, some of their devices are covered by both Medicare and Medicaid - see their website for details. Also, apparently, some number of private insurance plans can cover the Dexcom costs, at some level.

intothegoodnight
    Last edited by intothatgoodnight; 05-18-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

— Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Dr. Jason Fung
    Dr. Erik Berg
    Dr. Pearlmutter.

Dr. Fung is the most relevant, the other two provide good background.
    All three can be found on the net - books, YT channels, YT interviews, etc.
    ^^ THIS ^^

25 year diabetic here. Bad blood sugars for years, hard to keep under control. I went on the keto diet the end of last October, and I haven't had ANY diabetes meds this year. Got off all of my high blood pressure meds as well.

High blood sugar is only a symptom of insulin resistance. Taking insulin and pills makes diabetes WORSE.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    ^^ THIS ^^

25 year diabetic here. Bad blood sugars for years, hard to keep under control. I went on the keto diet the end of last October, and I haven't had ANY diabetes meds this year. Got off all of my high blood pressure meds as well.

High blood sugar is only a symptom of insulin resistance. Taking insulin and pills makes diabetes WORSE.
    2 years ago my A1C was 11.4 last month it was 5.9
    "Man is not to be blamed for sinning. After all, he faces great temptations and is extremely vulnerable. What he is blamed for is not doing Teshuvah (repenting) because he can do that at any time." Rav Simcha Bunim of P'shischa

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    ^^ THIS ^^

^^^This.

The problem with Type 2s is that they have too much insulin.
    The body develops resistance to insulin and normal amounts of insulin can no longer do it's job of forcing nutrients into the cells. Your body ends up producing more and more insulin and it has less and less effect as your body develops resistance to insulin. So the ADA ironically recommends giving more insulin or stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin to do the same job that less insulin used to do.
    It's like a drug addict requiring a higher and higher dose to get the same effect.

This process is why, with conventional treatment, Type 2 diabetes is always a progressive disease that will get worse and worse over time until the complications of diabetes eventually kill you.

The diabetes world ADA and only a few doctors are only recently starting to see that a ketogenic diet and fasting is the only way to treat Type II and prevent the otherwise inevitable progression of the disease and the complications that inevitably arise when taking numerous drugs.
    So I agree with Scotto, insulin is the problem with type 2s and high blood sugars are the symptom of your body's insulin resistance.

-----------------

In regards to the "protein" issue someone else mentioned. There are only 3 types of macro-nutrients. Fats, Protein and Carbohydrates. All raise your insulin level to some extent. Fats the least, Carbs the most, and Proteins about half as much as carbs. That is why a keto diet has only moderate protein. It is not a high protein diet. You can actually consume so much protein that you will knock yourself out of ketosis because your body will convert so much of it into glucose via a process called gluconeogenisis. That is why a keto diet is actually high in fat, not high but moderate in protein (enough to meet your body's requirements), and very low in carbohydrates.

Because the body has an insulin response to everything you eat, that is why most type 2s must, at least initially combine fasting periods with a keto diet to finally get on top of your type 2 diabetes.

Dr Fung usually puts his Type 2 patients at his intensive dietary management IDM clinic in Canada on at least 8 weeks of three 36hour fasting periods per week with meals between being very low carb or keto. Sometimes he starts them with 7 day water fast and then the three 36hour water fasts per week for 2 months.

I could go on and on, but I sincerely believe the keto diet and fasting has saved my life.

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”
    D. H. Lawrence

for me, the way we realized something was really wrong is i was on keto diet, eating zero carbs (plus we doubled my meds for glipizide which urges pancreas to make more insulin), and yet my blood sugar was constantly 200+. for months. (it was high b4 keto too. dr said keto diet is not for everyone but the group it is very beneficial for stabilizing blood sugars is type 2 diabetics.) dr kept saying I must be eating too much or sneaking high carb food. finally after 4 months, and me dropping 40 lbs, dr finally had antibodies tested and sure enough GAD 65 antibodies thru the roof (250+). this means my diabetes is autoimmune - my body is destroying my pancreas (just like how hashimotos destroyed my thyroid-oh how easy it is to just take a pill for that). now i often forget to take my metformin and my sugar is fine, as long as i remember to take my insulin. i also count carbs and eat way less than i used to, but sometimes it still goes up to the 300’s and 400’s...

my husband has type 2 and he just takes his metformin and acarbose and rarely tests his sugars! he even had to ask his dr for a meter cuz his dr never gave him one!
    Last edited by Breeta; 05-19-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post

I could go on and on, but I sincerely believe the keto diet and fasting has saved my life.
    Wonderful Terry. Me too.

I have been doing intermittent fasting for 6 months as well. That helps a lot.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

Nowski, I hope you feel better soon. I'm missing your wonderful comments!
    Sherree

What Terry said!

One other interesting thing about fasting is that it is when autophagy occurs, and stem cell production. The peak stem cell production is around four or five days of fasting. The researchers have found that ALL organs, including heart and brain, can be repaired via autophagy and stem cells. The biggest problem is that as we age, the system is less efficient.

Like many things, practice improves the process. Eating keto makes fasting much easier, and sometimes I get busy and forget to eat. I actually think the biggest surprise is how much less I eat now. When I am with other people, I see how many times people eat without thinking...snacking.

Jacki
    McKenziefatwood.com
    JackiGossSpecial-Tees.com