Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD ‘Extremely Scary’: Jamaica Plain (Boston) Residents Fearful Of Aggressive Turkeys
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    Wild turkey isn't very tasty. I feed them corn here and fatten them up. They run from you here. They're not very bright either. Saw one the other day standing at a rear truck bumper looking at his self in the bumper. He couldn't figure out why there was a turkey face glaring back at him. It was amusing. BTW, Canadian geese will chase you too, but they won't hurt you. I'm more fearful of the 2 legged human turkeys running around.
    the ones that I have had were very good
    we cooked (smoked) a wild bird and a butterball and pulled the meat off of the bone and put them in pans side by side without telling anyone--the wild bird went the fastest

Male turkeys during breeding season are extremely mean. They are always extremely stupid. all one has to do is carry a flag or stick behind them for the turkeys to attack. Then it's perfectly safe toenail through a crowd of them. They will attack the flag and ignore the.person.

Toenail?

Tiny Tim did that song ... Toenail Through The Turkeys. It was a big hit.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    stuffing or dressing?
    Run what ya brung, good results no matter the name *yummy*
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    My family was at a park once where a narrow footbridge crossed a short span of water. A goose in the pond was attacking everyone who tried to cross, and people were afraid to try. I took a stick and beat the thing until it retreated, and then we crossed.
    My parents had a pond by their house with some VERY aggressive geese. Every time I went down there to fish, here would come a goose or two to run me out. So the model 870 pump cleared some out. We got down to just one goose left, and my mom made me PROMISE that I wouldn't shoot it.

So, when she left to run errands one day, I grabbed my fishing pole and a VERY sharp machete.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    It's not the turkeys' fault.

They were triggered.
    good ol republican turkeys they go after the lefties and dimacrats
    Consilio Non Impetu (By wisdom, not by rashness)

Quote Originally Posted by zeker View Post
    same thing happened to me many yrs ago

our car overheated so I laid on the small walking bridge to scoop up some water

someone yelled at me and I looked up to see a cpl swans coming at me

I skedaddled fast

I was a teen then

these days I would say

"cool. wonder what they taste like?"

(tastes like chicken?)
    LOL

I was bitten from behind by a Trumpeter Swan at the Milwaukee County Zoo while we were feeding the ducks and geese by the pond.

A pair of swans waded into the crowd at the pond's edge and just started nipping away.

Those things are surprisingly big and rather mean.

I thought it would be a Bad Optic to engage in a hand to hand struggle at the public zoo and retired from the pond.

"The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bwahahaha! We had some of the earlier nesting pairs of Trumpeters here in the neighborhood, (in the gravel pit ponds no less!) back when they were first taking root in the wild again. They migrate in EARLY...earlier than most of the other waterfowl. So one morning on my way to work, a (tagged!) pair was hanging out in an open water swamp/ditch about a mile out from home...and the male was standing in the danged road, guarding the female who was resting in a little puddle in the ditch. Dumb me...stopped and got out to shoo him off the road.

Damn. Those things are BIG. And FEARLESS. I decided quickly that he could figure it out for himself. Carry on, Mr. Swan. Have a nice life.

Heh...the geese will get you too. That is where the meme of getting 'goosed' comes from. You walk around the ponds and small lakes up here in the spring and there are oodles of Canadian Geese and you get too close to their nests and they will come after you hissing like crazy. They have little ridges on their bills that act like teeth and if they get a grip on you it does hurt. We also have sand hill cranes up here and when my Mal was a pup she started to run after one and it faced her and spread out it's wings and the sucker had over a 5' wingspan and started to make a racket and my Mal turned tail and ran for her life. It was funny!
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

I always categorize birds as feathered Velociraptors. Trumpeter wingspans can easily go 8 feet...and when he stood up to me he was close to looking me square me in the eye.

The only bigger bird that's faced me down was an ostrich. Ugh. Unless I'm hungry, I choose to not engage.

I wanted to poke gentle fun at these girlie men and sissy women, then I remembered that the scariest movie i ever saw was "the birds".

Room to talk I have none
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    I myself am entirely made of flaws, stiched together with good intentions.
    MOON™~> all in the ignorant opinion of an uneducated slip of a woman who keeps forgetting to mind her manners, know her place and bow down to her betters

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Bwahahaha! We had some of the earlier nesting pairs of Trumpeters here in the neighborhood, (in the gravel pit ponds no less!) back when they were first taking root in the wild again. They migrate in EARLY...earlier than most of the other waterfowl. So one morning on my way to work, a (tagged!) pair was hanging out in an open water swamp/ditch about a mile out from home...and the male was standing in the danged road, guarding the female who was resting in a little puddle in the ditch. Dumb me...stopped and got out to shoo him off the road.

Damn. Those things are BIG. And FEARLESS. I decided quickly that he could figure it out for himself. Carry on, Mr. Swan. Have a nice life.
    lol.. yep.. no time for chit chat with them fellers

my wife told me one of our tolouse geese was always nipping at her

I thot it was funny ..

til they started at me

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    Give the birds a good kick. Every time I go out to my chicken coop the rooster attacks me. He is so stupid I usually have to knock him on his rump three or four times before he gives up. I've watched youtube videos of people running away from roosters on the attack. Pathetic! I used to have a pet Blue and Gold Macaw with a huge hook beak on it. If that bird was pissed it could break your finger if not partially sever it. Those things can crack Macadamia nuts in their beaks. After dealing with birds like that a turkey or rooster is no big deal to me. I wouldn't want to get an Ostrich mad at me though......
    I had one of those attack roosters years ago. I had trashed my wrist, and my arm was in a cast, so I was taking feed to the chickens with my remaining arm. The little maniac would attack me when I entered the barn. I'd kick him and yell at him, but he just stood there and glared at me. I warned him, but he refused to reform. The last attack, I set the feed down and walked away. He appeared "thoughtful". When I returned with the shotgun he took off running, knowing he could easily outrun me, but he had never tried to outrun a load of shot before. He lost. Got him one-handed with my weak hand, too.

I smile to think about it still. I should have done it earlier.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Garryowen View Post
    I had one of those attack roosters years ago. I had trashed my wrist, and my arm was in a cast, so I was taking feed to the chickens with my remaining arm. The little maniac would attack me when I entered the barn. I'd kick him and yell at him, but he just stood there and glared at me. I warned him, but he refused to reform. The last attack, I set the feed down and walked away. He appeared "thoughtful". When I returned with the shotgun he took off running, knowing he could easily outrun me, but he had never tried to outrun a load of shot before. He lost. Got him one-handed with my weak hand, too.

I smile to think about it still. I should have done it earlier.
    I would pay to see that last look in the rooster's beady little eyes.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe