Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FOOD ‘Extremely Scary’: Jamaica Plain (Boston) Residents Fearful Of Aggressive Turkeys
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

‘Extremely Scary’: Jamaica Plain (Boston) Residents Fearful Of Aggressive Turkeys

Three turkey dinners walking around and the people are scared...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By David Wade
    May 13, 2019 at 6:18 pm
    https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/05/...-wild-turkeys/

BOSTON (CBS) – Sometimes nature can get a little too close for comfort, and sometimes that’s due to wild turkeys. We saw a tweet Monday about just that from someone who lives in the Moss Hill section of Jamaica Plain.

She complained about aggressive turkeys pecking at people out walking. We checked it out, and found that she’s not alone.

“It’s extremely scary. It’s frightening. If you’re walking they come up extremely, extremely close to you and they come forward like they’re going to bite you,” says Kathy Milmoe who lives in the neighborhood.

There are three wild turkeys that are causing problems for some neighbors in the Moss Hill area. It wasn’t hard to find people who have had a run in with aggressive turkeys.

Turkeys in Jamaica Plain (WBZ-TV)

“The one incident I had was with my mailman. I heard a lot of commotion. I looked outside and they had him cornered across the street, and he moved in a direction, and they were pecking,” says Dorothy Sergi who was out walking her dog.

“Just in front of my house, my husband has gone out maybe four or five times with the rake and the broom to keep them away from various people,” adds Kathy Milmoe.

We spoke to Boston Animal Control and they say they usually don’t deal with wild animals. But the state has given them permission to capture the troublesome turkeys in this neighborhood, but so far they’ve failed.

Turkeys in Jamaica Plain (WBZ-TV)

“It’s just gotten to be terrible that I’m fearful to go walking with my grandchild in the stroller. I’m actually fearful to go walking on my own,” Kathy says.

Wild animals are usually under the jurisdiction of the state wildlife agency. We reached out to that department, but they didn’t respond.

There is an easy solution to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 20Gauge View Post
    Says someone with the board name of 20 Gauge....

I was thinking more like baseball. Carry a bat then 3 strikes and they're out.

Turkeys can be MEAN !!
    😁

Quote Originally Posted by 1911user View Post
    I'd advise some eye protection first, but a sharp knife will work just fine. It won't be pretty (or quick - the flapping lasts a long time), even domestic turkeys are STRONG. Expect to get beat up in the process, but even a determined woman can do this.

And humanity spent millions of years clawing our way to the top of the food chain...for some fools to end up like this.

This is simply left wing progressive ideology making cucks out of Boston residents. When testosterone levels drop men get scared of the dumbest things.

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    And humanity spent millions of years clawing our way to the top of the food chain...for some fools to end up like this.
    It's hilarious and painfully pathetic at the same time.

A walking stick would do, and a point on the end would be better. When I walked where we had dog problems, I carried a field hockey stick like it was a cane. That sucker could deal a blow.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

stuffing or dressing?

Lopping shears (pruning shears) seem appropriate. The turkeys around here are terrified of humans. We're lucky to get within shotgun range.

If one is dumb enough to get close enough to get lopped, oh well. Somehow, their pea-brains would learn quickly to stay away. Problem solved.
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    A walking stick would do, and a point on the end would be better. When I walked where we had dog problems, I carried a field hockey stick like it was a cane. That sucker could deal a blow.
    When I lived in Texas, I noticed the golf club was a popular walking accessory. I guess it looks classier than an aluminum baseball bat.

My family was at a park once where a narrow footbridge crossed a short span of water. A goose in the pond was attacking everyone who tried to cross, and people were afraid to try. I took a stick and beat the thing until it retreated, and then we crossed. I left the stick for others but didn't wait to see if anyone used it.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Never had a problem with our wild turkeys. THey see you they run, then take off flying........they remind me of terradactyles or similar trying to gain flight.......lol.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

There are probably a couple hens sitting on nests in the area and the Toms are just trying to protect them. It IS spring and that happens in the spring. People are really that stupid now, I guess....

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    stuffing or dressing?
    aw murt you just had to go and make it complicated didn't you..
    Consilio Non Impetu (By wisdom, not by rashness)

a stick with a piano wire loop at the would solve the problem..
    Consilio Non Impetu (By wisdom, not by rashness)

Asp baton. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911user View Post

I was thinking more like baseball. Carry a bat then 3 strikes and they're out.
    Good one!

Wild turkey isn't very tasty. I feed them corn here and fatten them up. They run from you here. They're not very bright either. Saw one the other day standing at a rear truck bumper looking at his self in the bumper. He couldn't figure out why there was a turkey face glaring back at him. It was amusing. BTW, Canadian geese will chase you too, but they won't hurt you. I'm more fearful of the 2 legged human turkeys running around.

Liberals, they can't just say something is a problem, it's always "extremely, extremely, extremely" whatever.

Yup.
    They are skittish as they can be around here. I can see them 300 yards away down in the field, but if I open the front door or step out on the back deck, they are gone.

Makes a difference if they are hunted or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    Never had a problem with our wild turkeys. THey see you they run, then take off flying........they remind me of terradactyles or similar trying to gain flight.......lol.
    Yeah, some moron(s) have to have been feeding these "cute" birds. Then they either got tired of paying a buck a pound for "bird corn" at the grocery (hell, it's probably three bucks a pound in Boston!) or they started getting afraid of the things...

It's hilarious!

Summerthyme

We have a flock of a dozen or so which visits in the pasture up the hill from the house every so often. They fly if they see people however.

Typical of leftards to let things get totally bassackwards.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

My family was at a park once where a narrow footbridge crossed a short span of water. A goose in the pond was attacking everyone who tried to cross, and people were afraid to try. I took a stick and beat the thing until it retreated, and then we crossed. I left the stick for others but didn't wait to see if anyone used it.
    same thing happened to me many yrs ago

our car overheated so I laid on the small walking bridge to scoop up some water

someone yelled at me and I looked up to see a cpl swans coming at me

I skedaddled fast

I was a teen then

these days I would say

"cool. wonder what they taste like?"

(tastes like chicken?)

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Yup.
    They are skittish as they can be around here. I can see them 300 yards away down in the field, but if I open the front door or step out on the back deck, they are gone.

Makes a difference if they are hunted or not.
    You even have them up there?! I first hunted them in mid 80's shortly after they reintroduced them into SE MN. I had to take a class on them before the hunt. They told us they doubted they would survive in the north 2/3 of the state

We have a ton of them around here. One of our dogs (Rhodesian Ridgeback) has chased down and killed two of them Couldn't let them go to waste.
    Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

Quote Originally Posted by greysage View Post
    Liberals, they can't just say something is a problem, it's always "extremely, extremely, extremely" whatever.
    True. And something doesn't "upset" them. It "enrages" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpine Savage View Post
    You even have them up there?! I first hunted them in mid 80's shortly after they reintroduced them into SE MN. I had to take a class on them before the hunt. They told us they doubted they would survive in the north 2/3 of the state

We have a ton of them around here. One of our dogs (Rhodesian Ridgeback) has chased down and killed two of them Couldn't let them go to waste.
    Yup. Never thought I'd see it. Last fall there were two dozen in the local flock that I see...2 different ages/clutches. Given winters like last...I have no idea what the heck they eat...must be popple and willow buds like the grouse, because there is no oak this far north. They do like my alfalfa fields when they aren't covered with a foot of snow, but that's only good for about 6 months. I guess they roost high up in the trees so stay away from the wolves and coyotes at night.

Stepping outside in the morning and hearing Tom turkeys calling back in the woods...instant memories of my Grandma's turkey farm when I was a kid...then think...who moved. Me or them?

It's not the turkeys' fault.

They were triggered.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Pathetic.

They need to institute a ban on wild turkeys in residential zones. That will solve the problem.
    Matthew 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Give the birds a good kick. Every time I go out to my chicken coop the rooster attacks me. He is so stupid I usually have to knock him on his rump three or four times before he gives up. I've watched youtube videos of people running away from roosters on the attack. Pathetic! I used to have a pet Blue and Gold Macaw with a huge hook beak on it. If that bird was pissed it could break your finger if not partially sever it. Those things can crack Macadamia nuts in their beaks. After dealing with birds like that a turkey or rooster is no big deal to me. I wouldn't want to get an Ostrich mad at me though......
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Hey, I'll be glad to come up there with my 12 gauge Remington 870 and take care of this problem - provided I'm not arrested and provided I can take home some of the turkeys for my freezer!

I have a pretty vivid memory from when I was about 5. Visiting my great-grandparents little farm. A big old tom knocked me down and flogged and scratched me up. Probably wasn't a good idea to be wearing a red shirt I went back to the house and grabbed a hoe for round two but the adults wouldn't let me.

I've had chicken roosters draw blood with their spurs. I'd prefer to be armed against a tom.

As with a mad goose...their necks make great handles, but you have to pin the wings.

...None shall pass...
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    It’s a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    I’m not afraid of dying...I just don’t want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    It's not the turkeys' fault.

They were triggered.
    20Gauge can be triggered too.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    It’s a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    I’m not afraid of dying...I just don’t want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Yeah, some moron(s) have to have been feeding these "cute" birds. Then they either got tired of paying a buck a pound for "bird corn" at the grocery (hell, it's probably three bucks a pound in Boston!) or they started getting afraid of the things...

It's hilarious!

Summerthyme
    This!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mistaken1 View Post
    Pathetic.

They need to institute a ban on wild turkeys in residential zones. That will solve the problem.
    LOL! The Audubon Society captures them and place bands on them. When hunter's kill one with a band, they must turn the band in to F&G. Turkey's are great for the environment. They eat bugs and will kill snakes. Their claws are razor sharp too. The turkey I was talking about above kept pecking at the bumper of the truck. We were entertained for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    ...None shall pass...
    If you kill it, eat it. I only collect the feathers and have quite a collection of them. Wild tirkey's do not taste any where near domesticated turkey's.

Have to respect those spurs . Runtime 0:33 (blood)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyr0frEJ2U