Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

LEGAL Alabama Legislature Passes Major Pro-Life Bill, Banning Almost All Abortions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2 Alabama Legislature Passes Major Pro-Life Bill, Banning Almost All Abortions

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...-bill-n2546345

Alabama Legislature Passes Major Pro-Life Bill, Banning Almost All Abortions

Beth Baumann
    Posted: May 14, 2019 9:55 PM

The Alabama legislature on Tuesday passed a pro-life bill that would ban almost all abortions, the only exception would be if a mother’s life is put in danger. Doctors who perform an abortion could face a Class A felony punishable by life or 10 to 99 years in prison. If a doctor attempts to perform an abortion he or she could face a Class C felony, punishable by one to 10 years in prison, the Montgomery Advertiser reported.

The bill is part of a multi-state effort to pass pro-life legislation with the hope that it will be challenged and eventually end up at the Supreme Court. According to the Associated Press, the bill's supporters didn't want a rape or incest exception added to the bill because it would lessen the likelihood of being challenged at the Supreme Court.

The bill passed the House of Representatives 74-3 and the Senate 25-6, LifeNews reported.

Republican Governor Kay Ivey said she's not sure if she would sign the bill, although she's an opponent of abortion, Reuters reported. Should the bill be signed into law it will go into effect six months later.

The American Civil Liberties Union has vowed to challenge the bill in court.

“We will not stand by while politicians endanger the lives of women and doctors for political gain,” wrote Alexa Kolbi-Molinas, a senior staff attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union’s Reproductive Freedom Project, in an email to CBS News following the vote. “Know this, Governor Ivey: If you sign this dangerous bill into law, we will see you in Court.”
    Sapere aude

As a resident of the great state of Alabama, I'm proud of our legislature for passing a great bill like this. Pre-born babies are human beings and have all the rights that post-born humans have: the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (private property). Therefore, abortion is murder and should be treated as such. If anything, IMO, this bill doesn't go far enough in that it doesn't quite treat abortionists as capital murderers (although it does make them Class A felons), but we'll take what we can get!

It's amazing how the ACLU claims the politicians who passed this bill "endanger the lives of women and doctors (?)" while saying nothing about the lives of the preborn babies who are being murdered.

At the risk of perhaps drifting this thread a bit, I would point out that according to the US Constitution the federal judiciary (including the Supreme Court and any associated inferior courts) has no jurisdiction over state laws, nor do they have the right to "strike down" state laws, regardless of contrary nonsense propagated by some of the press in this country. The 10th Amendment is the text that states that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffy View Post
    As a resident of the great state of Alabama, I'm proud of our legislature for passing a great bill like this. Pre-born babies are human beings and have all the rights that post-born humans have: the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (private property). Therefore, abortion is murder and should be treated as such. If anything, IMO, this bill doesn't go far enough in that it doesn't quite treat abortionists as capital murderers (although it does make them Class A felons), but we'll take what we can get!

It's amazing how the ACLU claims the politicians who passed this bill "endanger the lives of women and doctors (?)" while saying nothing about the lives of the preborn babies who are being murdered.

At the risk of perhaps drifting this thread a bit, I would point out that according to the US Constitution the federal judiciary (including the Supreme Court and any associated inferior courts) has no jurisdiction over state laws, nor do they have the right to "strike down" state laws, regardless of contrary nonsense propagated by some of the press in this country. The 10th Amendment is the text that states that.
    Thanks Raffy.

I too was wondering how this bill endangered the lives of doctors?????? Which IMHO simply goes to show, it isn't about saving lives, but rather taking lives.

If anyone is interested in the 10th here is a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_...s_Constitution

It should also be noted IMHO that it is against federal law to grow/distribute/smoke marijuana, however it is legal in Colorado to name at least one. State law vs Federal law.
    "Wise Men Still Seek Him"-bumper sticker

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Hmmm? I'm seeing a pattern here. Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia standing against Fed law vs state's rights abortion laws. Any other states? IIRC, there are a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffy
    If this makes it to the SC, it will be interesting to see which way they rule. State's rights should win.
    Sherree

There are a total of 11 states with "heartbeat laws".

Just think 2 more, and there will be a state for every star in the Southern Cross.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."-John Adams
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own...."- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

Are you all sure you want this?
    Demographics is destiny.
    Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Are you all sure you want this?
    Demographics is destiny.
    Just sayin.
    Murder is murder, no matter the color of your skin.

"sides there are other ways of dealing with the demographics. Like let the north offer higher paying jobs. Demand work to draw. Etc.

It goes too far. Forcing a woman to have a rapists baby.

Quote Originally Posted by smith357 View Post
    Is there a severabililty clause in the law?
    I expect that abortions from rape would happen before first heartbeat.
    SS
    “Then the creatures of the high air answered to the battle, .., and the woods trembled and the wind sobbed telling them, the earth shook,; the witches of the valley, and the wolves of the forests, howled from every quarter and on every side of the armies, urging them against one another.”
    ― Lady Gregory, Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Shacknasty Shagrat View Post
    SS
    All I know is that it is reported that there is NO exception for Rape or Incest, even in the case of underage girls; I haven't seen the text of the law

Quote Originally Posted by Shacknasty Shagrat View Post
    SS
    All I know is that it is reported that there is NO exception for Rape or Incest, even in the case of underage girls; I haven't seen the text of the law

As emotionally heart wrenching as that is for the woman/girl, the child played no part in that, and is an innocent product, and should not have to pay for the criminal act of the father.

Besides this bill was written with the express intent of being carried to the Supreme Court and over turning Roe v Wade. Until then all kinds of injunctions will be in place, to stop it from becoming law, or acted on.

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    As emotionally heart wrenching as that is for the woman/girl, the child played no part in that, and is an innocent product, and should not have to pay for the criminal act of the father.

Besides this bill was written with the express intent of being carried to the Supreme Court and over turning Roe v Wade. Until then all kinds of injunctions will be in place, to stop it from becoming law, or acted on.
    Thats BS - no woman/girl should have to go through being forced to carry a rapists baby.

And by excusing it as "the child played no part in it" you are somehow blaming the woman? Because shes the one being punished.

Cary is correct. This bill is worded the way it is to force a review of Roe. That’s a very dangerous gambit with Roberts on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Cary is correct. This bill is worded the way it is to force a review of Roe. That’s a very dangerous gambit with Roberts on the court.
    It is; And the legislature says so.

That doesn't change the fact that it goes too far and punishes women/girls for being raped.

It also damages the republicans going into the 2020 elections. Makes them all look like bible thumping, knuckle dragging neanderthals.

Bad move all around.

Sure it does. But Cary is also correct when he says that an injunction against implementation will be granted, without a doubt. I don’t know what you’re so fired-up over. If I thought this “law” would ever be implemented, I’d right by your side.

Sure it does. But Cary is also correct when he says that an injunction against implementation will be granted, without a doubt. I don’t know what you’re so fired-up over. If I thought this “law” would ever be implemented, I’d right by your side.
    Part of it is the political cost; this will hurt bigly in 2020.

as far as the law goes, its iffy if the gov will even sign it. But the political damage is done.

Thats BS - no woman/girl should have to go through being forced to carry a rapists baby.

And by excusing it as "the child played no part in it" you are somehow blaming the woman? Because shes the one being punished.
    Actually I'm not blaming the woman, it totally terrible what happened to her. I would also remind you, like it or not, the child is also part hers. And the perp is the one who needs to be punished to the extreme, like with castration. Carrying the child is not punishment, the act of rape, is what makes her a victim, not the account of a pregnancy.

With intercourse, forced or consented, pregnancy is a possibility. And making the child unwanted because of a rape, puts the child in the same category of kill it now, or kill it later.

'Sides it will all get thrashed out by Supreme Court in the end, and what we may think of it matters little.

BTW I'm also not saying the victim needs to keep the child either. She can put it up for adoption at birth.

As for the emotional toll rape takes on a woman, that will last long past 9 months.

Roe vs wade was about a woman's privacy. The new laws are about start of life. Live as a right always outweighs privacy. Order of basic rights life,liberty, persuit of happiness. If a heart beat is determined as life then we have to hammer out when it is ok to kill in the persuit of Liberty or happiness. That is a slippery slope.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    BTW I'm also not saying the victim needs to keep the child either. She can put it up for adoption at birth.

As for the emotional toll rape takes on a woman, that will last long past 9 months.
    That genetic legacy is the gift that keeps on giving.
    One generation after another.

If a woman is raped she can always choose adoption after the child is born. The child does not need to be killed. If the rapist is caught, let him pay for it's support till the child turns 18 and old enough to take care of itself. That would be after the rapist was castrated. Castration laws upon the act of raping a woman would stop a lot of that sort of thing, "maybe".

I am praying that Roe vs Wade gets overturned in ALL states. Just maybe it will alter the free sex attitude in this country.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

I am reluctant to take reporting from the Main Stream Media on abortion issues or laws to be accurate, or true.
    We juxtapose extreme morality versus ruthless efficiency with, in some cases, a victim and baby in the middle.
    SS
    “Then the creatures of the high air answered to the battle, .., and the woods trembled and the wind sobbed telling them, the earth shook,; the witches of the valley, and the wolves of the forests, howled from every quarter and on every side of the armies, urging them against one another.”
    ― Lady Gregory, Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    If a woman is raped she can always choose adoption after the child is born. The child does not need to be killed. If the rapist is caught, let him pay for it's support till the child turns 18 and old enough to take care of itself. That would be after the rapist was castrated. Castration laws upon the act of raping a woman would stop a lot of that sort of thing, "maybe".

I am praying that Roe vs Wade gets overturned in ALL states. Just maybe it will alter the free sex attitude in this country.
    Yeah, thats a pipe dream. Meanwhile the woman continues to suffer and the rapists power trip accelerates.

You do realize that many times rape is about power. And this is just empowering the rapist at the expense of the victim.

Well said!
    Sherree

And this would happen how often?

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Get your FREE copy of the 3rd edition here:NNPG Download Site

Reddit AustereMedicine/

Quote Originally Posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post

RR
    If thats your argument, then why make a law against it???

No, the child is the one being punished. What you propose is that they are not worthy of life.

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Reddit AustereMedicine/

RR
    Statically-5%

There are at least 2 things to consider:

Before 1973 any, and all rapes that resulted in a pregnancy, the woman was forced to carry to term, unless she had an illegal abortion, in the US, starting in the early 1600's.

Until abortions became SOP the same can be said of women world wide since Eve.

2) Women since 1973 have carried children from a rape to term of their own volition.

The crime of rape, is a crime of rape whether or not the woman becomes pregnant.

It isn't 1973 anymore. Besides decades of welfare, don't forget the immigration. Think that 5% figure is going to stay where it is now? Islam COMES here to rape. It's part of the plan. Don't forget those Africans banging at the gates in TX right now. So how are we NOT going to end up like SA? Well, at least those unborn rape babies are protected. If you really thing God is going to save you for doing the "right thing," go for it.

My opinion: Cucked.

Part of it is the political cost; this will hurt bigly in 2020.

as far as the law goes, its iffy if the gov will even sign it. But the political damage is done.
    I must disagree. You speak in vague terms of "damage". Damage to whom? The state of Alabama? the GOP? Someone you know personally? Stop throwing blanket statements around and get specific.

If thats your argument, then why make a law against it???
    I guess anger is clouding your reading comprehension today. As was said MULTIPLE times on this very thread:

THE PURPOSE OF THE LAW IS TO FORCE A SCOTUS CHALLENGE. Period. Do you just not comprehend that sentence?

I am angry over the removal of the sections that would have protected rape and/or incest victims. I am even more pissed that it is being done as a political ploy. It is damaging Republicans. A lot. Women around me that had no big issues with the original bill are furious over the changes. And making it known.
    There are multiple reasons for the anger. One is that womens bodies are being used as political chips, again. Another is that rape/incest victims have no protection from the rapist if a child is born. The rapist can get joint custody. In addition, there is a general attitude that women are not capable of making decisions regarding their own bodies medically. That one covers a broad spectrum of things that even more conservative women are getting seriously tired of. There are a few other reasons as well.
    As for bills banning abortion, abortion was already a dying business in these states. Just a truth. Politicians know it. The availability of the morning after pill in addition to birth control has been killing the abortion industry. The numbers are there to prove it if people look. And it proves, once again, that life doesn't have jack diddly to do with this. Just manipulation and politics.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kyrsyan View Post
    I am angry over the removal of the sections that would have protected rape and/or incest victims. I am even more pissed that it is being done as a political ploy. It is damaging Republicans. A lot. Women around me that had no big issues with the original bill are furious over the changes. And making it known.
    There are multiple reasons for the anger. One is that womens bodies are being used as political chips, again. Another is that rape/incest victims have no protection from the rapist if a child is born. The rapist can get joint custody. In addition, there is a general attitude that women are not capable of making decisions regarding their own bodies medically. That one covers a broad spectrum of things that even more conservative women are getting seriously tired of. There are a few other reasons as well.
    As for bills banning abortion, abortion was already a dying business in these states. Just a truth. Politicians know it. The availability of the morning after pill in addition to birth control has been killing the abortion industry. The numbers are there to prove it if people look. And it proves, once again, that life doesn't have jack diddly to do with this. Just manipulation and politics.
    Bingo!

It is NOT damaging republicans (though you really mean "conservatives" but are too programmed still to separate the two.) It is damaging ALABAMA conservatives and the state. And only then if it's signed into law.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrsyan View Post
    Your augment says that a child conceived of rape is not worthy of life. Rape or incest, however horrific, is not a reason to reject life. The argument damages people if all political persuasions.

RR

Reddit AustereMedicine/

It is; And the legislature says so.

That doesn't change the fact that it goes too far and punishes women/girls for being raped.

It also damages the republicans going into the 2020 elections. Makes them all look like bible thumping, knuckle dragging neanderthals.

Bad move all around.
    Oh yeah I guess that would be really terrible to be associated with Bible believing Christians!

Nails it.

It is NOT damaging republicans (though you really mean "conservatives" but are too programmed still to separate the two.) It is damaging ALABAMA conservatives and the state. And only then if it's signed into law.
    I said and meant Republicans - I have yet to see anyone run as the candidate of the Conservative party.

No, the child is the one being punished. What you propose is that they are not worthy of life.

RR
    And what you propose is that the woman is not worthy of deciding who's child she will bear even by force.

Realistically, if this goes to the Supremes, the best that can be hoped for is that abortion regulation will be left up to individual states. We all know that there will always be liberal states that will allow abortion.

So.....it adds the price of a plane/bus ticket or car ride to go out-of-state if you want an abortion. As I understand it, lack of availability right now in some states in practicality requires an out of state procedure. Not gonna be a huge game changer for the pregnant woman, but will allow conservative states and citizens to live their consciences.

I must disagree. You speak in vague terms of "damage". Damage to whom? The state of Alabama? the GOP? Someone you know personally? Stop throwing blanket statements around and get specific.

I guess anger is clouding your reading comprehension today. As was said MULTIPLE times on this very thread:

THE PURPOSE OF THE LAW IS TO FORCE A SCOTUS CHALLENGE. Period. Do you just not comprehend that sentence?
    I think its your comprehension that is clouded - I was responding to a SPECIFIC post that stated, in essence, that women never get pregnant from rape. My response stands. If his defense of the law is that it doesn't matter because the circumstance never happens then there is no reason for the law.