Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HELP How do we stop the barking???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just a thought, absolutely nothing to back it up, but why don't you try one of those (I think it's called) thunder jackets? They make a dog feel secure in thunderstorms. Put one on him and stick him in his crate.

I’ve heard of those being helpful for anxiety so I think I’ll pick one up and give it a try.

Thanks, Rabbit.

Any one that gets a dog of this type has to expect a yappy dog. If you do not like it send it down the road. Yappy dogs are Yappy dogs.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

Female or male ShiTzu? If he's 4 months old he should already have the "workings" of potty training worked out.

We got our Astor as a stray, vet estimated him as being 6 months or so. Took about a day and 2 puppy pads to train him. You'll learn their "I gotta pee" behavior. Put them on the pad, they'll get the idea, reward them for using the pee pad. A pet or a snuggle is sufficient, too many treats and you'll get a chubby ShiTzu very quickly. Human praise and attaboys are sufficient-ShiTzus are very sociable dogs, they thrive on human affection. Also, ShiTzus are small dogs but like to be the "Big dog" in many situations. They are definitely people dogs-they love people. PLEASE do NOT use any type of shock or choke collar on a ShiTzu-they're not keen on shocks or pain to instill obedience. Doing that to a shitzu to me is cruel and totally unnecessary. Your bonding and relationship with the dog will develop respect and obedience in him or her.

ShiTzus when they're young can be quite rambunctious. But again, building the relationship will help alleviate some of that. Give the pup the run of the house-that's his "job" to patrol and make sure the house is "safe" for you. They don't like being alone, for sure. We leave Astor alone during the day, and have for years. We leave the TV on when we leave, it provides his human contact during the day. They get used to it and I'd probably get rid of the cage as well. ShiTzus are free spirits and develop strong, tender and loyal personalities. Put him on the edge of the bed for one night and you'll have an endearing, loyal partner for the rest of the little pup's life. Get him some safe strong stuffed toys to play with-Astor developed an almost child like attachment to a small linen teddy bear when he was a puppy. He'd drag that thing everywhere.

I'm so happy you got a ShiTzu. They're little dogs with big dog attitudes of love, protecting "their" family and territory. Worthwhile companions of the highest order!

Our ShiTzu Astor only gets "yappy" when I pull up to the house at the end of the day. And yes, they will learn the clink of your key chain, the sound of your vehicle, your footsteps coming up the walkway. And until you pet them, they are on full bark mode. It's happiness barks, because he knows we're going to take a walk and sit down in my chair when we're done (me at the top, him at the bottom). Coming home is a happy time for a ShiTzu.

And if you do "send the dog down the road", send it to us! Life in our home isn't complete unless a ShiTzu is running it. Astor has done it willingly for 14 years, and I know he'd love a play pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
    Any one that gets a dog of this type has to expect a yappy dog. If you do not like it send it down the road. Yappy dogs are Yappy dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGirl View Post
    Please do NOT use a bark collar on a puppy. I'm not against using one, I have one, I have used one, but Not On A Puppy, please....

The pup is afraid of being abandoned and literally dying when left. That is what happens in nature so he is calling out to you. It will take a while for him to understand that you always come back. And most little dogs take longer. In the meantime when you leave and come back do not make a big deal about it. It is very important for the pup to understand that you leaving him behind is a regular thing and and you always come back. but remember, do not make a big deal over him when you come back or when you leave. Just say ok we will be back puppy and go and when you return say hello puppy then ignore him for a few seconds before taking him out to potty.
    ^^^^^TRUTH
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    Female or male ShiTzu? If he's 4 months old he should already have the "workings" of potty training worked out.

We got our Astor as a stray, vet estimated him as being 6 months or so. Took about a day and 2 puppy pads to train him. You'll learn their "I gotta pee" behavior. Put them on the pad, they'll get the idea, reward them for using the pee pad. A pet or a snuggle is sufficient, too many treats and you'll get a chubby ShiTzu very quickly. Human praise and attaboys are sufficient-ShiTzus are very sociable dogs, they thrive on human affection. Also, ShiTzus are small dogs but like to be the "Big dog" in many situations. They are definitely people dogs-they love people. PLEASE do NOT use any type of shock or choke collar on a ShiTzu-they're not keen on shocks or pain to instill obedience. Doing that to a shitzu to me is cruel and totally unnecessary. Your bonding and relationship with the dog will develop respect and obedience in him or her.

ShiTzus when they're young can be quite rambunctious. But again, building the relationship will help alleviate some of that. Give the pup the run of the house-that's his "job" to patrol and make sure the house is "safe" for you. They don't like being alone, for sure. We leave Astor alone during the day, and have for years. We leave the TV on when we leave, it provides his human contact during the day. They get used to it and I'd probably get rid of the cage as well. ShiTzus are free spirits and develop strong, tender and loyal personalities. Put him on the edge of the bed for one night and you'll have an endearing, loyal partner for the rest of the little pup's life. Get him some safe strong stuffed toys to play with-Astor developed an almost child like attachment to a small linen teddy bear when he was a puppy. He'd drag that thing everywhere.

I'm so happy you got a ShiTzu. They're little dogs with big dog attitudes of love, protecting "their" family and territory. Worthwhile companions of the highest order!
    I never tire of hearing love stories!
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

I'm afraid I have to disagree with those who tell you to let him have free reign of the house. When we first got Ziggy, he was crated, his crate in the kitchen where he could see who was coming and going. As he got older we began leaving the door open but put baby gates up so he was confined to the kitchen area. After a while, when he was potty trained and well behaved, we took down the baby gates. At that point, he began to howl every time we left him.

We finally realized he, like most dogs we've ever had, enjoys the security of boundaries. When we leave now, we put some quiet music on the TV, make sure he has one or two toys and his usual bedding and immediately before we leave, we give him a high value treat. He so looks forward to the treats that he doesn't even mind us leaving now! We make no production of leaving or coming home; just do both quietly.

You can do this! This little guy is just looking for security. Just figure out what makes him secure, be consistent about it and you're home free.
    For those who believe in the Resurrection, death is inconsequential
    http://needgoodnews.com

In our experience, a ShiTzu has that big dog mentality. Master of their realm, if you will. Ours has his box in the living room, with no cages or doors around it. He has all of his stuffed toys either in or around the box. It's where he sleeps during the day when we aren't home. But again, a shiTzu tends to have a larger dog personality in terms of being master-so boundaries and blocked off doors didn't work for our Astor. He has full access to every part of the house; and he runs it (actually walks around like a rent a cop checking store doors) sometimes.
    Outside is a different story with him however. If he comes off his leash he literally stops. He won't move until leash and collar are back on. Now there is about a 20 foot spot around the back door where my wife will take him off his leash and give him a little freedom; he stays in that area and enjoys it when she walks him. When I walk him and take the leash off in the same area; he stops. Won't move until that leash is back on. Never been able to figure that one out.

ShiTzus have strong personalities-they develop them early. Let them flower; you'll be amazed at how incredibly smart and resourceful (and protective) they are of you. If someone knocks at your door, they know it before someone hits the doorbell. And they're 5 feet away from you when you open that door, sitting on their haunches and seemingly ready to pounce if need be. If they start barking before the door is opened then you best be aware; these dogs sense character in people, I swear it.

Quote Originally Posted by evenso View Post
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with those who tell you to let him have free reign of the house. When we first got Ziggy, he was crated, his crate in the kitchen where he could see who was coming and going. As he got older we began leaving the door open but put baby gates up so he was confined to the kitchen area. After a while, when he was potty trained and well behaved, we took down the baby gates. At that point, he began to howl every time we left him.

We finally realized he, like most dogs we've ever had, enjoys the security of boundaries. When we leave now, we put some quiet music on the TV, make sure he has one or two toys and his usual bedding and immediately before we leave, we give him a high value treat. He so looks forward to the treats that he doesn't even mind us leaving now! We make no production of leaving or coming home; just do both quietly.

You can do this! This little guy is just looking for security. Just figure out what makes him secure, be consistent about it and you're home free.

Have you tried Naptime?

Naptime! (2:52)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_nfazQaek

Talk about defective......

My Finn and I are about the same place you are - he's 4 months old and been here 2 months. I have him pretty well housebroken but I do let him follow me around because he gets upset if I am in the house and he can't be nearby.

He goes in his exercise pen when I leave and I have it filled with toys and a bowl of water and he has gotten the idea I will come back to rescue him. He did cry at first but has figured it out now. I would not dare leave him loose because he would eat the house!

He is the naughtiest puppy I have ever had and we are going to puppy class starting in July! The long walks we take only seem to wear me out - not him!

It sure is fun having a puppy around. Can't help but laugh at his antics.

AlfaMan - your story about Astor and the leash reminded me of the time my daughter tried taking one of our Shih Tzu’s for a walk. Pup was fine walking until they came to a hill and then stopped. No amount of coaxing from puppy mom would make her go up that hill. So back comes a happy dog and one angry little girl.

So in the fall we dress pup up for Halloween contest. Do you think she’d walk across the stage? Oh nooooo. I think they won a prize anyway.

You’re correct about that little big dog thing. It’s hard to remember that their job was once palace guard dog. You have to remember they are working dogs to an extent. Though that makes me laugh thinking about it. You’d probably have to have a thousand to be effective guard dogs. BUT you’re correct on sensing people. The three I’ve had have been right on about other people who come to your door. Dead accurate.

My Chinese breeds have all been very quiet for the most part. When they “go off” there’s something there you need to pay attention to. Even my newest the Shar pei/lab mix. You rarely hear anything out of her unless there’s something scary outside. Then it’s a low growl. If it’s really scary she will bark.

I’m thinking that your pup has developed High Anxiety because she can’t do her job. They do rule their world and if they can’t protect you well... again just a guess. But they are strange little pups in their own little way.
    The Operative: “The path to peace is paved with corpses. It’s always been so.”

Malcolm Reynolds: “So me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?”

The long walks we take only seem to wear me out - not him!

It sure is fun having a puppy around. Can't help but laugh at his antics.

That’s Hairy, even at 15 months old. I knew even before I brought him home that he would be my last puppy. I just don’t have the stamina anymore. But he’s a nut, and very loving and protective.

I stopped my dog's constant barking by putting some pennies in a coke can and shaking it like hell every time she barked, after a few days she cut out the constant barking. She did not like the sound, plus she was a hard headed older dog that I rescued.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by nomifyle View Post
    I stopped my dog's constant barking by putting some pennies in a coke can and shaking it like hell every time she barked, after a few days she cut out the constant barking.
    This works very well with most dogs.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

There's been some good advice on this thread. We have two Standard Schnauzers, crazy stubborn, lots of work to train, but fantastic dogs to invest time in. This said, when they were puppies (they are 3yrs old now), we had a hell of a time finding solid, reliable training advice. After searching for months I stumbled onto Solid K9 Training. https://www.youtube.com/user/SolidK9Training

The guy "Jeff Gellman" comes across a little rough at times, but his advice is pure gold if followed to the letter by all the members of your home. With a little digging he's covered pretty much every question you could ever have. My dogs are now rockstars because of his methods, and people including strangers stop us all the time to comment how well trained my boys are. Give it a shot, its free.
    "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father (goes to heaven) except by me." - Jesus Christ

Small dogs often need more reassurance. I have carried a small dog around zipped into a fleece vest while he/she is getting used to being without littermates or dog friends. I try to take my dog(s) out every day for a ride in the car, and to leave him in the car while I go into a store, etc. Going in the car every day gives the dog an idea of where i am going, makes it into a routine. He is sad when I don't take him, but has become used to it. Thus, no more barking.
    It's later than you think!
    (Fr. Seraphim Rose)

When we rescued our 'twins' along the road where they had apparently been dumped, they would whine and howl at night, until I put them on my chest and slept in a recliner. Every couple hours I'd put them in the box of papers so they could pee. I did that about four days, and then managed to figure out that they were cold. Put a lamp over their box and they settled down. We had them for 12 plus years, and they were inseparable for the first 8 years or so.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Astor, our ShiTzu is also a pretty mobile little guy. We don't take him out in the car as often these days but when we do his car seat is my lap.
    Unless it's warm and sunny and we have a convertible, then he's on the center console with a giant grin on his face with the wind blowing his mohawk. (got a pic of him doing this, I borrowed a mustang convertible for a weekend. Got a pic of astor on the console grinning like crazy-at 80 miles an hour.)
    If you want to take a small dog inside a store; here's a solution we found. There are pet "baby strollers" available on Ebay, we got one for 40 bucks. When we travel we put him in it and ask the store before we come in. (People are completely hip to pets and kids left in hot cars, so they're sympathetic and let him come in. We have never been refused once-and this is pharmacies, grocery stores, outlet mall stores, malls. He's not a service animal or falsely marked as one. Won't be dishonest about that.

And the reaction when he comes into any store is an "ooooohhh" and aaaaaaahhh party. People go ape over him in a stroller, and we tell folks we didn't want to leave him in a hot car. They understand and love the idea. Astor eats up the attention like filet mignon as well. The strollers handle dogs up to 25 pounds and fold up like a baby stroller too. We put a blanket down for him, toss in a toy but he likes hanging over the edge looking totally irresistable They tend to be well behaved in them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by seraphima View Post
    Small dogs often need more reassurance. I have carried a small dog around zipped into a fleece vest while he/she is getting used to being without littermates or dog friends. I try to take my dog(s) out every day for a ride in the car, and to leave him in the car while I go into a store, etc. Going in the car every day gives the dog an idea of where i am going, makes it into a routine. He is sad when I don't take him, but has become used to it. Thus, no more barking.

Thank you, Take1!